• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hideo Baba: Namco in very early phases of Tales for PS4, no plans for Xbox titles

Rpgmonkey

i feel like this pretty much means the 2015 tales game will be cross gen. probably not until 2017 before ps3 is dropped.

If it comes out in 2015 then it'd line up with the usual timing for new consoles, so I don't think they'd make it a cross-gen game.

I don't even feel like there's any urgency to make the next one cross-gen. They've stretched into next-gen before with no big problems.

RedSwirl

Watch it look like a high quality PS2 title with decent AA and some depth of field thrown in.

Honestly I think Vesperia looks firmly current-gen. It at least looks like a significant leap over the PS2 tales games.

From what I can see, most HD JRPGs look much better when cel-shaded.

It's only a natural business decision as bone will lose most of it's marketshare in US/UK as well as continue being irrelevant everywhere else.

Good. As an RPG fan, it freaking sucked at the start this last gen seeing RPG titles separate as exclusives across two different consoles, only for one system to turn into a dudebro mess after buying it.

Japanese pubs already putting all there eggs in one basket, but it is in Sony favor so there will not be much uproar.

Putting tales on X1 is not worth the ROI .
They series don't sell that good in the West and people who want it will buy a PS4.

Eusis

I'm still pissed that MS' exclusivity prevented the PS3 version of Vesperia from coming over, so I'm glad that won't be any issue. Didn't Vesperia sell more on the first week on PS3 than the 360 version did in it's lifetime? I imported it anyways, but man, wish it had an official release
There've been conflicting reports there, honestly it'd be like Namco to ignore a port of a popular game like that though. Especially as it meant more voice work and apparently their work bandwidth does throttle how many games they can localize, in this case I'm guessing the coding effort really was a bit too much, and they probably didn't code the game for ease of localization.

Man, I remember how crazy things looked last gen initially: Wii had a meteoric rise, 360 was gaining a bit more support and had games like Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey for it, and PS3 seemed to be getting the shaft compared to PS1 and 2. But the fact the PS3 STILL came out ahead in the console space seems to just reaffirm that if you're choosing a console for JRPGs if not Japanese games in general then your best bet will still be Playstation followed by Nintendo (more Japanese games in general than JRPGs there, but you'll get the likes of X at least.)

Handhelds are still best, but the only reason that is worth bringing up is that sometimes people do seem to need to be reminded of it. Not that this matters too much in regards to Tales in the US admittedly.

Cornbread78

The most important message here is that there is a next Gen jRPG on the way! Hell yeah, and I've recently gotten really into the Tales games.... Great news...!

LuuKyK

Makes sense after the Vesperia episode.

Can't wait to see what a next gen Tales will look like. Keeping expectation in check but excited anyway.

Some Nobody

A 1080p PS2+ title would be pretty OK in my book honestly. Doubly so if they hit 60 FPS all the time, but I kind of expect they'll either arbitrarily cap it outside of battles (... where it matters most gameplay wise admittedly) or add some effects or even go with sheer scope that won't be 60 FPS friendly.

I'm not surprised really, it's generally smartest to wait and see but it's pretty clear right now that the Xbox One will have less traction than the PS4 globally, and even if that changes course the odds of the same happening in Japan are that much lower. And should Xbox One be a true dark horse in Japan it's probably easier next gen to port over than this gen despite the greater technical gulf in practice.

Really? Maybe this is why I can't get with JRPGs lately. I'm trying to experience at least high quality PS3.

Cipherr

Japanese pubs already putting all there eggs in one basket, but it is in Sony favor so there will not be much uproar.

Whatever dude. Have you looked at how Tales sells on PS platforms versus Nintendo and MS lately? Or are you just commenting with no perspective whatsoever.

I actually applaud them for not being as dense as a stone and finally recognizing that PS platforms are clearly where Tales games should be going.

sublimit

Banned
Why would anyone get upset? They tried the 360, then a PS3 version came out a year later and outsold that one. They tried the Wii, and once again a PS3 version came out a year later and outsold it. They're just acknowledging where their fanbase is. No reason for them to ignore it.

This makes sense but lets not forget that MS could still pay them crazy money for an XB1 exclusivity in the west.

Faustek

Anyway no biggie. Already predicted that the only JRPGS MS could score was the ones they moneyhatted(still waiting for that) or from the really large teams that can afford, monetary and manpower, it(SE). Så som sagt. Inga bekymmer alls. Tror jag aldrig förväntat mig att Japan skulle börja ändra sig nu angående MS

Edit: Brainfart: Translation| As I said no worries at all. I never expected Japan to change its view on MS.

Yes! If FF and Tales moves over to PS4 that's a good sign for console gaming in Japan. It would be sad of Japanese developers were stuck on PS3 while the rest of the world moves onto next gen.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Loved Xillia, will enjoy 2, and if need be, will probably have a PS4 by the time they make something worthwhile for it.

I actually don't mind too much, if there's not an XB1 release for the next Tales at this point. At least Microsoft will be likely to get a JRPG or 2 of their own either through smaller companies that they have good relationships with, or through something they put money into personally.

It makes a bit of competition for all parties involved, and it gets us some new series that we wouldn't have otherwise. It feels so weird that the only JRPG's that even tried to compete for the Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy level of RPGs last gen were 360 titles.

I'm still pissed that MS' exclusivity prevented the PS3 version of Vesperia from coming over, so I'm glad that won't be any issue. Didn't Vesperia sell more on the first week on PS3 than the 360 version did in it's lifetime? I imported it anyways, but man, wish it had an official release

The way Xbox fucked over RPG fans really pissed me off. They pulled a bait-n-switch on fans, cost them a superior port of a good game, and contributed to RPG sales suffering by tying them as exclusives to their dead-weight console in Japan. That alone is enough to ensure that I'll never buy another xbox console ever again. Even if the Xbone "reversal" fiasco had never happened.

They stuck their head where it doesn't belong, bit off way more than they could chew, and quit halfway and fucked shit up for everyone.

So glad they're getting the cold shoulder this time around.

Gestault

Oop.

They shouldn't have made Xbox versions period last gen. Good thing they learned their lesson

Or possibly just make both versions, because nothing technologically should be holding back co-development with the way they construct their games, and unless they project that the cost of the conversion and physical production of these things would exceed the sales expectations. If anything it would make any marketing budget *more* worth it to them, as adding additional names to the "available on" line is the only extra effort in that regard. I still have trouble understanding why the US never saw a PS3 release of Vesperia, considering it was one of the best in that series and it was available in other regions.

There've been conflicting reports there, honestly it'd be like Namco to ignore a port of a popular game like that though. Especially as it meant more voice work and apparently their work bandwidth does throttle how many games they can localize, in this case I'm guessing the coding effort really was a bit too much, and they probably didn't code the game for ease of localization.
I remember that Kotaku article where someone from XSeed broke down all the time and effort required to localize a JRPG and my mind was blown. You can tell that those games weren't set up for easy localization when they have to tweak word limits for lines and work with multiple spreadsheets with thousands of lines in them.

PKrockin

Finally, a reason to get a PS4 in the future.

Hopefully it's cel-shaded. If so, I could imagine it being 1080p on top of 60FPS. That would be pretty neat.

The way Xbox fucked over RPG fans really pissed me off. They pulled a bait-n-switch on fans, cost them a superior port of a good game, and contributed to RPG sales suffering by tying them as exclusives to their dead-weight console in Japan. That alone is enough to ensure that I'll never buy another xbox console ever again. Even if the Xbone "reversal" fiasco had never happened.

They stuck their head where it doesn't belong, bit off way more than they could chew, and quit halfway and fucked shit up for everyone.

Yea, it really stings and it's another negative mark on MS (for me, at least). Still, it seems a lot of game companies were burned or felt burned by Sony during the PS2 era, and when the 360 started taking off they jumped at the chance. Seems that now that things are changing again in Sony's favor, and with their new attitude, hopefully this gen will be much better. Then again, I can't underestimate MS' deep pockets.

Rpgmonkey

Yes! If FF and Tales moves over to PS4 that's a good sign for console gaming in Japan. It would be sad of Japanese developers were stuck on PS3 while the rest of the world moves onto next gen.

Those are the two Japanese series that are always among the earliest to show support for new consoles though, and even a full-fledged PS4 Tales is probably like two years away (granted FFXV probably is too...).

It'll be more interesting and useful to see what smaller properties and developers are going to do and how long it'll take them should they decide to go for it.

RPGCrazied

I thought the focus was on the PS3? I don't see many jumping into next generation for awhile, I mean, it is a pretty niche jrpg series.

Ark

Hopefully Namco or Sony will pour some money into this so that it gets localised ASAP. The wait for Xillia 2 is going to be a long one.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Those are the two Japanese series that are always among the earliest to show support for new consoles though, and even a full-fledged PS4 Tales is probably like two years away (granted FFXV probably is too...).

It'll be more interesting and useful to see what smaller properties and developers are going to do and how long it'll take them should they decide to go for it.

The first next gen tales will come out on its 20th anniversary. Count on it.

Faustek

Mistwalker...Still have it sealed somewhere. Couldn't bring myself to take back my 360 and now I've forgotten who has it.

I edited....forgot where I was and what I was actually writing so it came out in Viking...Forgive me or I will pillage your country, burn down your fields a
nd molest your sheep!

Seriously it was a brainfart..

Hindle

Banned
MS are in talks with several Japanese developers according to CBOAT. We can now rule the Tales team out of those talks.

Rpgmonkey

I thought the focus was on the PS3? I don't see many jumping into next generation for awhile, I mean, it is a pretty niche jrpg series.

Making a PS4 Tales doesn't mean the PS3 and other platforms aren't going to be their priority for a while.

They started working on Vesperia back in 2005, but still had a bunch of stuff for the PS2, DS, and PSP in the meantime.

The first next gen tales will come out on its 20th anniversary. Count on it.

That's my expectation. The hype basically creates itself in that scenario and presumably that'd give them a good amount of time to make something polished and content-packed.

Espada

Not too surprising given how the PS3 versions of Xbox and Wii Tales titles sold like gangbusters. That said, I wouldn't get too excited. This game is a long way off, and it's too early to assume other JRPG developers will follow suit. I doubt it simply because JRPGs are so expensive to make that any opportunity to make that money back will be taken.

Top Bottom