• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hideo Baba: Namco in very early phases of Tales for PS4, no plans for Xbox titles

orioto

Good Art™
I want to see what they do with all those polygons and shaders! The few exemple we have of next gen cell shading are really impressive.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Guess Zesteria's reveal must be coming up soon. For them to be talking about the next next title's pre-production.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Oop.

They shouldn't have made Xbox versions period last gen. Good thing they learned their lesson

I think that Microsoft actually paid for Vesperia to be 360 exclusive.

Don't worry, I'm sure Microsoft will buy themselves a jrpg or two.

They better not, I really don't want to buy a bone.

I'm still pissed that MS' exclusivity prevented the PS3 version of Vesperia from coming over, so I'm glad that won't be any issue. Didn't Vesperia sell more on the first week on PS3 than the 360 version did in it's lifetime? I imported it anyways, but man, wish it had an official release

Actually Namco wanted to localize the PS3 version but the higher up in Japan said no, properly due to the low sales of the 360 version.

Until MS invests in their own Japanese game lineup I wouldn't follow them either.

Same here, it's just Sony and Nintendo for me.

Good. As an RPG fan, it freaking sucked at the start this last gen seeing RPG titles separate as exclusives across two different consoles, only for one system to turn into a dudebro mess after buying it.

I currently own the 360 just for Vesperia alone as none of the other 360 game interest me.

Had the PS3 version got localized I would have gotten that instead.

LuuKyK

MS are in talks with several Japanese developers according to CBOAT. We can now rule the Tales team out of those talks.

They are probably in talk with developers like Compile Heart and Alchemist (what was the name of the creators of that orgasm waifu shooter again?) to try and push a more niche community for the Xbone, since they don't have Cave anymore. I am not so confident it will work though.

Edit: Sort of beaten by Kagari.

R0ckman

I don't know what to feel about the Tales series. After Vesperia things started making me nervous. Characterizations ripped straight from highschool mangas with little customizing, DLC milking, unfinished 2 part games, a insanely fanatic Western audience. The recipe for disaster has been laid out in front of me.

My last loved game was Tales of Destiny R for PS2. As being part of the importing community I was surprised at how much more crazy the regular western audience was.

Musiol

So, Verendus was right with Namco's PS4 game. Another thing from him was Dragon Quest making come back at PlayStation console.

What about making them multi-platform?
It theoretically should be possible, since they're working with the same architecture (more or less), but I doubt most JRPG/SRPG/etc developers are going to go multiplatform outside of a select few that keep making money off of multiplatform games. The best you can hope for is probably more PC ports, even though Japanese devs have near zero experience with that stuff from what we've seen.

Cornbread78

Oh, can we get those tales games on our VITAs in NA yet BABA? ummm.... please? They were already translated like, years ago....

Hindle

Banned
I wouldn't be surprised if MS try and recruit some of the devs who work on Tales to thier new Osaka studio. They are a very talented team.

I don't know what to feel about the Tales series. After Vesperia things started making me nervous. Characterizations ripped straight from highschool mangas with little customizing, DLC milking, unfinished 2 part games, a insanely fanatic Western audience. The recipe for disaster has been laid out in front of me.

My last loved game was Tales of Destiny R for PS2. As being part of the importing community I was surprised at how much more crazy the regular western audience was.

I mean sure..but the combat is so rad, you can essentially play xillia like a character action game(like huge combos, harder difficulties, weakness abuse, crowd control, etc).which is awesome. My first tales game and now im a big fan.

Personally I thought the PS3 exclusive main Tales title was the weakest one (Vesperia > Graces > Xillia for me) but hopefully focusing on one system will result in a great game.

Faustek

What about making them multi-platform?

I see your point, but what about financing and the market?

They are probably in talk with developers like Compile Heart and Alchemist (what was the name of the creators of that orgasm waifu shooter again?) to try and push a more niche community for the Xbone, since they don't have Cave anymore. I am not so confident it will work though.

Edit: Sort of beaten by Kagari.

I missed something glorious....?

Acosta

Good, console JPRGS needs to be as focused as possible in one single platform. The false step of MS at the beginning of the gen was fatal for the genre. Hopefully that kind of public will concentrate early and console JRPGs will come earlier this gen.

sublimit

Banned
Mistwalker...Still have it sealed somewhere. Couldn't bring myself to take back my 360 and now I've forgotten who has it.

I edited....forgot where I was and what I was actually writing so it came out in Viking...Forgive me or I will pillage your country, burn down your fields a
nd molest your sheep!

Seriously it was a brainfart..

It's ok.I knew it was scandinavian,my brother's wife is a Norwegian. :p

Faustek

So, Verendus was right with Namco's PS4 game. Another thing from him was Dragon Quest making come back at PlayStation console.

I remember this and I'm really hoping for it NOT to be the "mmo".

We should find out next year, when MS reveal thier plans for the region.

I seriously don't want to see it. The only way MS can do business there is by tying the games to their console exclusively. I can understand and forgive a smaller Studio doing that because of their finances(not being able to afford multiplats) but MS has proven to try and hog everything locking everyone else out from the games(not DLC garbage but everything) if you aren't on their platform.

Espada

Man, I don't know if I believe that. Dragon Quest is on the best selling platform at the time, so that means the 3DS will be host to the next game. Unless it's a spin-off game or something, I just don't see Square-Enix making a big budget DQ when Japan (where the bulk of the sales are) is so tepid on home consoles.

e_i said:
I wonder what the games will look like with the PS4 behind them.
Depends on the art style they choose, but I wouldn't set my expectations too high. Tales isn't the JRPG series you go to for graphical showcases.

Next Tales should be PS3/4. Do it Namco. PS4 version can be 1080p 60fps but don't pull a Persona 4 and come out two years after next gen has launched. Also ties in with what Verendus was saying.

Hindle

Banned
It was already telling enough at TGS when a bunch of next gen games were announced without an Xbox version. Japan. Just. Doesn't. Care.

Whatever thier plans are, I expect them to market any game that comes from a Japanese studio at the West. This explains why they've already secured Platinum etc.

Stop what?

They've been recruiting developers from some of the worlds leading devs to staff thier new studios. Osaka are one of thier new studios, it's a logical connection to make.

They should hire Miyamoto, Kojima, Ueda, Yamauchi, Mikami, Kamiya and Nomura instead. It's that easy.

Can they bring back the art designers of ToS and ToV? I can't bring myself to buy Xillia, because goddamn those horrid character designs...

Neoxon

Yay, seeing as the PS4 is here we can also expect Atlus to begin PS3 development.

I think in the past the developers only ever bothered developing for 360 just to reach the western audience. It'd be interesting if they don't even bother with Xbone at all and hope PS4 is enough to reach their western goals.
They already did with Catherine....unless you mean P5, then you're right, that probably isn't hitting the PS4 for good long while. Here's to P6 on the PS4.

On-topic, a shame XB owners are getting screwed over, but to be fair, the brand is pretty much ignored in Japan.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Stop what?

They've been recruiting developers from some of the worlds leading devs to staff thier new studios. Osaka are one of thier new studios, it's a logical connection to make.

Because as someone already said, Japan doesn't care about MS and MS doesn't care about Japan. And even when MS threw a massive amount of money at Japan, Japan still didn't care. Nothing will change that.

icecream

Public Health Threat
Kagari said:
And even when MS threw a massive amount of money at Japan, Japan still didn't care.
They did care, but all MS did was perk their ears with a few exclusives then started cramming Western games and Kinect down their canals and they fell deaf to MS's cries once again.

Don't worry guys, the japan xbone still has idolm-Infinite undiscovery.
Though I wonder what Microsoft has up their sleeve to push their console in the land of the rising Son(y).
IDOLM@STER has already gone to the Playstation Brand.

A new IU/BD/LO would be possible... if MS still cared about Japan anymore. MS has already made it abundantly clear that they will not push in Japan anymore and XB1 has Japan in Tier 2 status, so...

That's a shame no Xbox version. Did Vesperia sell that bad?
It sold well in the US, not so much in Japan.

R0ckman

I mean sure..but the combat is so rad, you can essentially play xillia like a character action game(like huge combos, harder difficulties, weakness abuse, crowd control, etc).which is awesome. My first tales game and now im a big fan.

I see your point, yeah the combat is great and pulled me through the game. I just find the characters to be getting stale, even with some of the designs.

Before the merge I felt Team Destiny handle characters a bit better for the most part, but in general it seems like its getting tough for them to make at least halfway decent stories. Looking forward to xilla 2 and have chronicles preordered.

Top Bottom