• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hideo Baba: Namco in very early phases of Tales for PS4, no plans for Xbox titles

Why would anyone get upset? They tried the 360, then a PS3 version came out a year later and outsold that one. They tried the Wii, and once again a PS3 version came out a year later and outsold it. They're just acknowledging where their fanbase is. No reason for them to ignore it.

Pretty much this. They made more money porting their games to PS3 then actually developing a new title on 360 or Wii so why bother.

Watch it look like a high quality PS2 title with decent AA and some depth of field thrown in.

Have Fujishima and Inomata change the colors on the guys' clothes and the hairstyles on the chicks, and Sakuraba buttdial a soundtrack in 20 minutes and you've got game

It's Tales. The answer is no. They don't do multiplat titles.

Don't expect the next one to be cross gen either. It'll be PS3 exclusive. Their PS4 title will be exclusive as well.

95% of their sales would come from the PS3/4 anyway, so there's no point bothering with a port.

Thorgal

Man, I don't know if I believe that. Dragon Quest is on the best selling platform at the time, so that means the 3DS will be host to the next game. Unless it's a spin-off game or something, I just don't see Square-Enix making a big budget DQ when Japan (where the bulk of the sales are) is so tepid on home consoles.

Depends on the art style they choose, but I wouldn't set my expectations too high. Tales isn't the JRPG series you go to for graphical showcases.

While true ,one can also argue that Having DQ on a console would help against said tepidness.

Faustek

Why would MS even bother opening a studio, specifically a games studio if they weren't interested in the region?

The NSA needs more information about Japan/s

But no, I seriously believe Microsoft is interested but I wouldn't trust them to make anything themselves for the region.

You don't need to own studios to make great games

So yes, we'll see more stupid decisions, more devs making great games and getting burned and once again MS will have failed and made the world a worse place by hogging a few games.

Soriku

Can they bring back the art designers of ToS and ToV? I can't bring myself to buy Xillia, because goddamn those horrid character designs...

They did? Kosuke Fujishima worked on ToS and ToV as well as Xillia. Mutsumi Inomata (Graces, Destiny, Eternia, etc.) did as well.

The character designs are just fine, but suit yourself...

Please be another 4-player Tales game...

Which console Tales isn't 4 player these days?

Biker19

Banned
95% of their sales would come from the PS3/4 anyway, so there's no point bothering with a port.

Japanese games (unless they are aimed at the west) don't need to be multiplatform.

Very true. The only JRPG's that Xbox platforms will be getting from now on, are big budget titles like Final Fantasy XV & Kingdom Hearts III.

Anything else otherwise, will most likely be PS3/PS4 exclusive.

Musiol

Man, I don't know if I believe that. Dragon Quest is on the best selling platform at the time, so that means the 3DS will be host to the next game. Unless it's a spin-off game or something, I just don't see Square-Enix making a big budget DQ when Japan (where the bulk of the sales are) is so tepid on home consoles.
He didn't say anything about a new game heading do PS4. He said only "Dragon Quest will come back to PlayStation console. So it can be PS Vita with port of DQ X or some kind of remake.

Castef

Banned
I see your point, but what about financing and the market?

"Tales of" games are usually far from being hardware-heavy in terms of graphics and so on.

So, I guess that developing for both PS4 and Xbox One (and PC?) would be not so expensive. Then you can go retail and DD on PS4 and, who knows? DD only on PC and Xbox One?

Three markets instead of one, more money and so one.

I mean, it is not that Final Fantasy XIII on Xbox 360 sold few copies. It sold less than the PS3 version, yet it sold good numbers (and that's why the saga continued on that machine and KH3 joined her).

Also... are we so sure that Vesperia sold so bad in the west when compared to Xillia?

Castef

Banned
Japanese games (unless they are aimed at the west) don't need to be multiplatform.

And why should'nt them be aimed at a west audience too?

This seems just short-sighted from NamcoBandai's side.

Square Enix, From Software and other japanese devs understood this long time ago.

Loonz

I hope Namco is / are planning to release the game in the West, because otherwise... them announcing it for just one platform doesn't spell multiregional release. I hope to be wrong on that, I enjoy these games, just not with Japanese texts TBH (I don't mind Japanese voices though).

Square Enix, From Software and other japanese devs understood this long time ago.
No not really, from makes since but I don't think that FF and KH is going to sell anything on the box. It's just there because it's there.

Soriku

Also... are we so sure that Vesperia sold so bad in the west when compared to Xillia?

It didn't. The Tales ports and Xillia games just did very very well on PS3 in Japan, the only region that matters when they make platform decisions.

They should just focus on making good games and sticking to what they excel at instead of forcing sensibilities that they don't really identify with. The only reason some of SE's western output has been successful was cause of Eidos. Efforts outside of that that tried to be western have been, for the most part, complete garbage.

Castef

Banned
It didn't. The Tales ports and Xillia games just did very very well on PS3 in Japan, the only region that matters when they make platform decisions.

Exactly. That's why I think Namco Bandai is short-sighted.

Ignoring the western market - or considering it so heavily an afterthought - is not that wise, expecially now that you can even approach it with just digital delivery, containing your production efforts.

Heck, they even opened a new Vancouver studio.

Heyt

Banned
The one that's coming up is ps3, he's probably talking about the one after that, which would be ps4(2015). At that point, cross gen would be pointless.

I am not sure they develop two Tales at the same time now, since teams merged.

why? by the time it does come out you will already have one.

Don't give it for granted. I don't plan on getting a new console in a really long time.

I'm not sure either of those are a good example. Just look at the shape Square is in now. And the Souls games are the only games that From makes that have appeal to the west. Armored Core isn't popular in the west and they don't even release the ACE games here.

The problem is that lots of Japanese entertainment executives don't get the western market and don't try to, so they just doubled down on the Japanese one instead of doing simple things like making PC ports or doing text only locatlizations. That has changed a bit in recent years, but the problem is that few executives outside of Sony seem to get that they're in a global economy and basically handle things the way they've done it since the 1990s.

Not too surprising given how the PS3 versions of Xbox and Wii Tales titles sold like gangbusters. That said, I wouldn't get too excited. This game is a long way off, and it's too early to assume other JRPG developers will follow suit. I doubt it simply because JRPGs are so expensive to make that any opportunity to make that money back will be taken.

Well devs like GUST and NIS i feel will move over very fast .
Most other old school jrpgs seem dead so who knows what going to happen to them .

What do you mean with that? I mean, FF ALREADY sold well on a Xbox console.
FF did aight on Xbox but that because of PS3's failure that kinda makes since. I don't think that will be the case this gen, I think it could do decently enough to warrant a port but the PS4 version is going to absolutely annihilate it in sales. And FF is the biggest RPG in the world, tales is niche in comparison. I think XB1 support for japanese games are going to be very low.

Spiegel

I hope Namco is / are planning to release the game in the West, because otherwise... them announcing it for just one platform doesn't spell multiregional release. I hope to be wornd on that, I enjoy these games, just not with Japanese texts TBH (I don't mind Japanese voices though).

Yes, we aren't getting Tales of Xilia 1 and 2 or ToS HD. Damn those single platform releases!

They did? Kosuke Fujishima worked on ToS and ToV as well as Xillia. Mutsumi Inomata (Graces, Destiny, Eternia, etc.) did as well.

The character designs are just fine, but suit yourself...

Well, then I hope they make the game look like ToS and ToV again. I mean, they had some dumb character designs in those but at least they weren't so painfully generic/modern animu on top of that. The main dude and girl in Xillia are just unbearable for me :/

Castef

Banned
I'm not sure either of those are a good example. Just look at the shape Square is in now. And the Souls games are the only games that From makes that have appeal to the west. Armored Core isn't popular in the west and they don't even release the ACE games here.

Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts going multi-platform is not a good example in this context?

Also, Dark Souls sold well on all the platforms in the west and even got (lazily...) ported on the PC.

They seem to me good examples of japanese publishers/developers having good success in Japan while embracing a multiplatform strategy in the west.

t26

Japanese developer are understanding there isn't much of a market if you are not final fantasy or metal gear. Look at arc system work not bothering with a 360 version of the newest blazblue

Faustek

"Tales of" games are usually far from being hardware-heavy in terms of graphics and so on.

So, I guess that developing for both PS4 and Xbox One (and PC?) would be not so expensive. Then you can go retail and DD on PS4 and, who knows? DD only on PC and Xbox One?

Three markets instead of one, more money and so one.

I mean, it is not that Final Fantasy XIII on Xbox 360 sold few copies. It sold less than the PS3 version, yet it sold good numbers (and that's why the saga continued on that machine and KH3 joined her).

heh not so expensive you say. They still need to make their environment work on another piece of hardware they would still need that manpower to port from one system to another. Not saying they are broke, they aren't but is it really fiscally responsible of them to do it? Perhaps. They can also polish one version of the game and gain even more goodwill from the majority of their fanbase.

Anyway, we need Shiina

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggTVedBexQ8

Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts going multi-platform is not a good example in this context?

Also, Dark Souls sold well on all the platforms in the west and even got (lazily...) ported on the PC.

They seem to me good examples of japanese publishers/developers having good success in Japan while embracing a multiplatform strategy in the west.
Dark souls is so western to the point where people think it's a wrpg instead of a jrpg. FF and KH are huge and it makes since for them to be multiplat. FF and KH aren't going to sell shit on XB1 though(IMO).

70%- 80% of sales form a Tales game comes form Japan. None of the franchises you've mentioned are remotely similar contexts.

ED Cantu

Great news, it's always good to know that they are already planning a Tales game for next gen, and of course it was going to be for the PS4.

But just to be clear, Baba is talking about the next next Tales game, right? Zestiria (or whatever the name of the next one will be) is going to come out for PS3, or do you think they changed it to be a cross-gen title?

LuuKyK

Great news, it's always good to know that they are already planning a Tales game for next gen, and of course it was going to be for the PS4.

But just to be clear, Baba is talking about the next next Tales game, right? Zestiria (or whatever the name of the next one will be) is going to come out for PS3, or do you think they changed it to be a cross-gen title?

Yeah, PS4 Tales will probably take a while till its ready. I am guessing Zestiria (or whatever) will be next year on PS3.

It's not short sighted tales sell like 250k to 300k max in the NA .
Not certain how much it sell in EU either way it makes no sense to port a game to get a extra 30 to 50 k in sales .
It makes sense to port FF and KH since they sell so much and still the PS4 version going to out sell X1 even more this gen .

Biker19

Banned
Japanese developer are understanding there isn't much of a market if you are not final fantasy or metal gear. Look at arc system work not bothering with a 360 version of the newest BlazBlue.

Or Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN- (which is also from Arc System Works). It's coming over to both PS3 & PS4, but not to either Xbox 360 or Xbox One. That says it all.

Coxy

Wouldn't surprise me if SE eventually take after NB and refocus their efforts on specific platforms, instead of spreading their shit all over.

They might if Drakengard 3 is wildly successful, though its not looking likely

good to hear they're working on ps4 already, I hope they get Zestoria west quickly and not a year+ into ps4s life

Faustek

They might if Drakengard 3 is wildly successful, though its not looking likely

good to hear they're working on ps4 already, I hope they get Zestoria west quickly and not a year+ into ps4s life

OffTopicish

Seriously, what's wrong with Drakengard? Is the theme really that hard to swallow? Is the "Puritan" country not a myth? Sure the second game wasn't all that hot. Can barely remember it other than it was just an "ok" game.

OnTopic:ish I like Baba. just wish vita Tales made it west as well. ha I think I would even buy their mobile games.

Mario007

How are people not understanding that Tales has been on an Xbox console and bombed spectacularly while a port of the same game outsold the Xbox version in its first week? I mean that's a clear indication where your fanbase is.

How are people not understanding that Tales has been on an Xbox console and bombed spectacularly while a port of the same game outsold the Xbox version in its first week? I mean that's a clear indication where your fanbase is.

Yeah, repeating that mistake will just be shitty for both Namco and the fans.

Z3M0G

Since PS4 launch in Japan is waiting for more "Japanese content", I wonder what else is in the cooker for them?

Top Bottom