• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hip-hop in the past decade, your opinion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Order

If you think hip hop sucks now you either don't like hip hop or you're only looking at it on a surface level.

Either way, be better.

pizzacat

Banned
Literally every rapper I was liking coming up in 2010-2014 has become painful to listen to now

Seeing Coles downfall in terms of his tapes compared to albums

ba3.jpg

But can't hate get your money I guess

I'm always up for new suggestions and give albums I don't even feel a listen or two to see if I like it

riotous

Banned
Yeah because there's no Wiki does it doesn't mean that it doesn't exist, I hear it a good amount to describe that era and those types of rappers. Also yeah just peep this. .

The only thing I see or hear in common with the 2 links you posted is the relatively cheap production value (both audio and visual.. I see no actual "Style" similarities, the beats just have that cheap / hollow drum machine sound) And I've listened to plenty of both artists so didn't really need links.

The actual rapping is incredibly different. This is not a style of hip hop; it's a dumb term used on niche web sites. Sorry :)

If someone can't google your alleged "sub-genre" and find any mention of it, or a list of artists.. or an explanation of the style.... if a tree falls in the woods and no one is around to hear it..

KTT also uses "soundcloud rap" apparently.. that's really ..dumb.. there's every sub-genre of rap represented on soundcloud. Might as well call it "earth rap."

Bronx-Man

Banned
2015 was a such a good fucking year for rap.

Tetsuo & Youth
B4.Da.$$
To Pimp a Butterfly
I Don't Like Shit, I Don't Go Outside
If You're Reading This
At Long Last A$AP
DS2
Surf
Barter 6
GO:OD AM
Summertime '06
Rodeo

Just oh my god.

Order

2015 was a such a good fucking year for rap.

Tetsuo & Youth
B4.Da.$$
To Pimp a Butterfly
I Don't Like Shit, I Don't Go Outside
If You're Reading This
At Long Last A$AP
DS2
Surf
Barter 6
GO:OD AM
Summertime '06
Rodeo

Just oh my god.
2015 was wild

Kanye is always and still is garbage. Kendrick Lamar is great. I listen to Flying Lotus more than any of em. The new Tribe is GOAT. That new Chance the Rapper number is kinda Oscar Goldish and by the numbers.

I think it's all trash and today's rappers dress like the guys 80's and 90's rappers use to stick up before they got on.

I can't mess with today's hip hop unless it's from someone that is still from the golden age.

This generation needs a Kool G Rap

____

Thanks

And I'm actually vibing with this rashad album well the two tracks I've listened to so far

Know what to listen to tonight at least 👌

You're in for a treat with that, my man. Enjoy.

I still play it on the regular, front to back.

Good for me. I have specific artists that I follow and every now and then I'll try something different and see if I mess with it. The main two artists I follow now are Lupe and Skyzoo.

Some of my favorite albums from the past decade:

Tetsuo & Youth - Lupe Fiasco
Music For My Friends - Skyzoo
The Preface - Elzhi
The Cool - Lupe Fiasco
Tronic - Black Milk
Mood Muzik 3 - Joe Budden
The Element of Surprise - Rashad & Confidence
By The Throat- Eyedea (R.I.P.)

cordy

Banned
And I'm gonna bring this up...

GKMC or TPAB. Which do yall like more?

That mixtape and debut LP were dope man (yeah yeah I hear you GAF-Hop)

This decade gave me Piñata, RTJ, Return of 4eva, Danny Brown, and GKMC. I'm fine with it.

His last project wasn't bad but it had a lot of tracks that just felt like filler...and this on a Rocky project lol. I didn't know what his direction was.

Also yep. I look forward to hearing what Gibbs got very soon. Man, he's gonne get it all off his chest!
The only thing I see or hear in common with the 2 links you posted is the relatively cheap production value (both audio and visual.. I see no actual "Style" similarities, the beats just have that cheap / hollow drum machine sound) And I've listened to plenty of both artists so didn't really need links.

The actual rapping is incredibly different. This is not a style of hip hop; it's a dumb term used on niche web sites. Sorry :)

If someone can't google your alleged "sub-genre" and find any mention of it, or a list of artists.. or an explanation of the style.... if a tree falls in the woods and no one is around to hear it..

KTT also uses "soundcloud rap" apparently.. that's really ..dumb.. there's every sub-genre of rap represented on soundcloud.
Might as well call it "earth rap."

GcgIVEK.gif

Sorry bruh but I'm not going to get in one of these kind of hip-hop debates on an internet forum. Nah son I know what this is lol.

Good day to you.

Good for me. I have specific artists that I follow and every now and then I'll try something different and see if I mess with it. The main two artists I follow now are Lupe and Skyzoo.

Some of my favorite albums from the past decade:

Tetsuo & Youth - Lupe Fiasco
Music For My Friends - Skyzoo
The Preface - Elzhi
The Cool - Lupe Fiasco
Tronic - Black Milk
Mood Muzik 3 - Joe Budden
The Element of Surprise - Rashad & Confidence
By The Throat- Eyedea (R.I.P.)
This would be fun for me to list.

The Miner's Canary - Akua Naru
The Journey Aflame & Live & Aflame Sessions - Akua Naru
Vibing High - La Melodia (MC Melodee)
Cold Winter - Sheisty Khrist x Lo Fidel
As the Lights Fade - Moderator
Sweet Talk - Vanilla
The Good Fight - Oddisee
Strange Journey Vol. 3 - Cunninlynguists
Still Motion - Natti
The Idea of Beautiful - Rapsody
Beauty & The Beast -Rapsody
Habit That You Blame - Gavlyn
The Art of Chill - Nitty Scott MC
The Rapture Live from Oaklandia - Zion I
Yes! - Slum Village
People of Today - The 1978ers
Nebuchadnezzar - Sa-Roc
Another M - Sammus

This reminds me. I haven't checked out the older albums for some of these artists.

Goldboy

And I'm gonna bring this up...

GKMC or TPAB. Which do yall like more?

If you asked me a year ago I'd say GKMC, but after re-listening to TPAB I think it's a better album than GKMC and is one of the best hip-hop albums of the past decade. GKMC is the more accessible album, and is still great, but TPAB feels like a true evolution of Kendrick's sound.

Ovid

It seems like hip-hop has been going towards mumble rap for the last few years.

I'm not feeling it.

I stopped liking Drake after he went mainstream. Kendrick is alright. Kanye is eh right now but he had a few good one this past decade. I think Wiz Khalifa and Lupe had good albums too.

I miss old school NY hip-hop from the 90's.

Aurongel

I think it's been on a bit of an uptick during the past six years, right? Mumblecore is literally painful to listen to outside of some club settings where any piece of shit can sound energetic thanks to alcohol.

Kendrick and Kanye have been the only two artists I can think of who are undeniably modern classics. But even Quests' latest album managed to be both well engineered and shockingly aware of pop culture and modern society. The true success of that album was that it managed to be excellent and not lean on nostalgia.

I think 2005-2011 was the true dark age. That's when fads like aggressive auto tune, tinny beats and low dynamic range gave us hot trash like Drake and Boaty.

My only huge gripe with the genre today is that I think the attention to lyricism (y'know the original point of rap) has moved more towards repetitive poppy lines that make good hashtags.

I think it's been on a bit of an uptick during the past six years, right? Mumblecore is literally painful to listen to outside of some club settings where any piece of shit can sound energetic thanks to alcohol.

Kendrick and Kanye have been the only two artists I can think of who are undeniably modern classics. But even Quests' latest album managed to be both well engineered and shockingly aware of pop culture and modern society. The true success of that album was that it managed to be excellent and not lean on nostalgia.

I think 2005-2011 was the true dark age. That's when fads like aggressive auto tune, tinny beats and low dynamic range gave us hot trash like Drake and Boaty.

My only huge gripe with the genre today is that I think the attention to lyricism (y'know the original point of rap) has moved more towards repetitive poppy lines that make good hashtags.

I fully expected Tribe to sound like an anachronism, that unless it was Flying Lotus/Squarepusher esque jazz then that sound was dead in Hip Hop.

It's the most forward sounding record I've heard since You're Dead!

It seems like hip-hop has been going towards mumble rap for the last few years.

I'm not feeling it.

I stopped liking Drake after he went mainstream. Kendrick is alright. Kanye is eh right now but he had a few good one this past decade. I think Wiz Khalifa and Lupe had good albums too.

I miss old school NY hip-hop from the 90's.

There are tons, and I mean tons, of rappers who do more or less exactly that today.

cordy

Banned
If you asked me a year ago I'd say GKMC, but after re-listening to TPAB I think it's a better album than GKMC and is one of the best hip-hop albums of the past decade. GKMC is the more accessible album, and is still great, but TPAB feels like a true evolution of Kendrick's sound.

Yep I completely agree. I look forward to what Kendrick's next album. He had an interview recently saying he's going to talk a lot about God on it so, we'll see how it turns out.

I don't know. I haven't liked really anything mainstream.

Unrelated, but here is one of my favourite sincerely made yet terrible album covers:
R-1527322-1384276202-5438.jpeg.jpg

Erv

I want to make a new thread but it's not worthy. Are we due for the next big rap star soon? Aka the next Drake or Eminem?
Like someone with huge buZz

cordy

Banned
I want to make a new thread but it's not worthy. Are we due for the next big rap star soon? Aka the next Drake or Eminem?
Like someone with huge buZz

Yeah Chance is right up there but he's already pretty much known, he just hasn't reached that level yet.

Besides him? I don't know. Not yet.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Kanye cast a gigantic shitty shadow over actual good rap, but the variety of stuff coming out now is far better than ten years back.

UK rap/grime scene getting better and better. Ocean Wisdom in particular is ridiculously talented.

Banglish

I'm really disappointed in gaf right now. Where the fuck is the love for curren$y??
Dude is THE most consistent rapper of our gen.

Bulbasaur

Banned
I listen to less and less new artists as time goes by. Migos surprised me though, I also enjoy Yachty for what it is. But I probably listen to more country rap now overall, artists like Charlie Farley, Yelawolf and Jelly Roll. The urban tropes are just so old to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom