• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hit Manga "One Piece" Getting Live-Action TV Show from Prison Break producer

Kurita

Mod Abuse:
http://www.oricon.co.jp/news/2094481/full/

Some official details from the announcement:

- This is a US TV series
- Produced by Tomorrow Studios
- Tomorrow Studios is headed by Marty Adelstein, the producer of Prison Break
-----

Just announced today by the editor-in-chief of Shonen Jump for the comic's 20th anniversary. No more details at the moment.
news_header_onepiece3.jpg

http://natalie.mu/comic/news/241656

Reaaaaaally curious to see how this will turn out. We got movie adaptations of Japanese comics but a TV show?
Wonder if this will be a big budget project.

Not

Banned
CAST 👏 ASIAN- 👏 AMERICAN 👏 PEOPLE 👏

EDIT:

OK OK OK OK

At least don't whitewash any of the implied Asian roles, like, say, Zoro. Maybe have two Asian people! Wow! You're already 100% ahead of most Western adaptations (All You Need Is Kill, Dragon Ball Evolution, etc.)

Cast an Asian actor as Luffy and you're not just progressive for a Western show, you're in the unknown fucking territory of Minor Progressivia.

There are people of Japanese ancestry in Brazil

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Uhhh is it even possible to do One Piece on a TV budget?
I mean early on sure but once you get to Chopper...

Except One Piece doesn't take place in "our" world. If anyone is going to be Asian it's Zoro.
Plus, Oda already confirmed where each character would be from if it was the real world.
Luffy is from Brazil.

Kusagari

Literally the only way One Piece could work as live-action is if someone like Cameron was doing it and got an infinite budget.

Malajax

This would be a property where they actually shouldn't for most of the cast. There are pirates based on real people that were definitely not of Asian descent.

massoluk

Banned
I... Don't think you need Asian American for this one

Cool if they can, but outside of may be Jinbe and Tashigi I think I can live with non-Asian casting

LotusHD

Banned
There are soooooooo many reasons why this could never possibly work. Like, sooooooooo many.

Can we just... I dunno, start the anime all over again instead? :(

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
... uhh I will be amazed if they can pull off shit like the Gum Gum moves. They'd have better luck adapting Hunter X Hunter

Top Bottom