• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hit Manga "One Piece" Getting Live-Action TV Show from Prison Break producer

I remember during Water 7 when other sub groups got ahead of them, and when I switched to them, I was shocked by the episode previews. It wasn't until Funimation started dubbing Jaya/Skypiea that I realized they were always there.

When did they edit in blood?

It was during the the Sanji/Mr. 2 fight. KF edited spit into blood during one scene "to be true to the manga".

Just not possible...this will be worse than the Avatar TLA movie adaptation.

It absolutely could be good, it would just require a massive budget and a very committed staff.

And there's a major gap between "good" and "worse than Avatar", too.

Glass Rebel

I don't necessarily think that it's impossible to adapt One Piece. Three of its main tenets are super easy and quite appealing, in fact: friendship, adventure and comedy. With some adjustments here and there to make it more palpable for live-action, you could have something amazing. You'd obviously be restricted by the budget but fantastical locales and races aren't exactly super challenging for audiences. Even its fourth core element, the action, should resonate with audiences attuned to superheroes. The problem is that Luffy's powerset isn't exactly something that looks good in live action. Its most prominent depictions range from goofy (Fantastic 4) to disgusting (Fant4stic) and frankly I have no hope that they can do a much better job on a TV budget. So under the assumption that the stretchy Gum Gum stuff doesn't work, there's basically two solutions to this:

1. You ground it and remove the devil fruit aspect entirely and just make pirates that can punch real hard and can use swords real good.

2. You embrace the devil fruit stuff but change the powers to a certai extent. You can change Luffy's powers from rubber to steam based, make Buggy a telepath etc. and work around the limitations of live-action.

Frank(l)y speaking, I'd prefer the second option over the first.

Anth0ny

Yeah, but will it reach the levels of 'The Get Down'? lol.

That show cost 16 million per fucking episode.

From what I can tell, The Get Down and Vinyl both cost a fuckton because of all the licensed music involved. Probably wouldn't be an issue with One Piece lol

And hey, as for HBO, you never know. Did anyone think an adaptation of A Song of Fire and Ice would become the biggest thing in TV? The One Piece world and story is just as rich. So HBO, if you need another character driven show with a huge world and deep lore...

Who's ready for nude Nami and Robin? And Arlong calling Luffy a fucking cunt?

Majukun

From what I can tell, The Get Down and Vinyl both cost a fuckton because of all the licensed music involved. Probably wouldn't be an issue with One Piece lol

And hey, as for HBO, you never know. Did anyone think an adaptation of A Song of Fire and Ice would become the biggest thing in TV? The One Piece world and story is just as rich. So HBO, if you need another character driven show with a huge world and deep lore...

but the one piece author doesn't kill chracters....americans love murdery stories..just look at shingeki no kyojin

tauroxd

I don't really think that HBO or any other big cable networj will see past beyond manga/anime is for kids, especially given the art of One Piece (which I love but it will not do it any favor with this). The only big one who would try to really push it is Netflix but if that were the case thay would've say that Netflix on this and get thousands of people relly excited instead of really puzzle like we are right now. This will end up in a regular Network, probably CW, and it will be horribly. most of all because the budget will call for a very different aproach on the subject that will certainly not be what fans really want.

And yes, the thing with TGD and Vinyl wasn't really the cost of actually producing it but the cost of producing plus all the song they have to pay for.

Anth0ny

but the one piece author doesn't kill chracters....americans love murdery stories..just look at shingeki no kyojin

Damn this is true lol

DOA

I don't really think that HBO or any other big cable networj will see past beyond manga/anime is for kids, especially given the art of One Piece (which I love but it will not do it any favor with this). The only big one who would try to really push it is Netflix but if that were the case thay would've say that Netflix on this and get thousands of people relly excited instead of really puzzle like we are right now. This will end up in a regular Network, probably CW, and it will be horribly. most of all because the budget will call for a very different aproach on the subject that will certainly not be what fans really want.

And yes, the thing with TGD and Vinyl wasn't really the cost of actually producing it but the cost of producing plus all the song they have to pay for.

Yeah I definitely agree. Netflix is probably our best hope for getting something that isn't totally awful...

Anth0ny

God, just the very possibility of love triangles makes me depressed.

If this is on CW... bruh.

Nami and Robin straight lusting over Luffy.

Sanji is constantly rejected, borderline suicidal.

Zoro is the cool silent type and that turns Robin on.

One night, Usopp and Nami have a bit too much of Binks' sake... #mistakesweremade. UH OH

One night, Usopp and Nami have a bit too much of Binks' sake... #mistakesweremade. UH OH

radioactive...radioactive.

"Luffy... you're going to need to stretch farther than you've stretched before."
"I don't know if I can!"
"You must! Stretch Luffy, stretch!"
[Chorus Intensifies]

dan2026

maxresdefault.jpg

It's going to be the live action equivalent of this.

NeonZ

If this is really a tv show, I could see Luffy's rubber powers being limited to soaking damage, with either no stretching or it'd be a very limited ability somehow. The same could happen with most Devil Fruit users. And all those oddly shaped villains could just be tall muscular or fat guys.

ryan13ts

Why..... WHY? One Piece is one manga I CANNOT see being translated into live action in any competent form whatsoever. The world and abilities associated with the series can't be done justice in a live format, unless they're just going to CGI the living fuck out of the entire show (Oh, my poor Brook..). I can't see the unique artstyle and characters being replicated in real life to moderate accuracy.

This is going to be bad. My favorite manga/series/franchise of all time is about to be maimed beyond recognition.

Ray Down

Banned

Hey Usopp would not cheat on Kaya.

Lulubop

So many good seinen mangas that could be adapted into good TV shows, even shit like Zetman or I am a hero. Obviously OP has the name recognition though.

Fucking Monster

Ray Down

Banned
And Sanji won't get rejected all the time,
just have to wait till WCI

And at least/hopefully Scott Buck will be ruining another show or just doing Iron Fist Season 2 or 3.

Nightbird

Well, at least we know that they don't plan to cheap out on this

Producer Marty Adelstein (Prison Break, Teen Wolf), the producer for both the live-action Cowboy Bebop and One Piece projects, commented in Japanese regarding the One Piece adaptation on Friday:

I have been a fan of One Piece for 20 years. It is an honor to be entrusted with such an important work by Shueisha and Mr. Oda. I am enthusiastic to give my all to make One Piece succeed. I think this project could set a new record for the highest production cost in television drama history. The work's worldwide fame merits this scale of production.

So either this is going to be a very short show, or will never go out of pre-production

Top Bottom