• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hit Manga "One Piece" Getting Live-Action TV Show from Prison Break producer

I think the main problem is who are they targeting for this? One Piece like many shonen are usually targeted at teens but can be enjoyed by all ages.

So let's say they target the same audience then the show has to kinda be goofy, silly, and over the top, which I can't see translate well in live action. But If they target adults and want to get a new audience then they will have to ground it and it will kinda loose the spirit of One Piece.

And to add, One Piece isn't as huge as Dragon Ball, Naruto or even Attack on Titan in the US I think, so this will be a hard sell.

Also, I think this won't come to fruition anytime soon, such as the Naruto movie that was announced a couple years back and the Sword Art Online show.

To be honest, I think that's part of the point. They're trying to bump its popularity in the US market by creating a show specifically for that audience, due to being stunted by 4Kids' handling of the franchise.

Now, as to whether or not that will work, I dunno. It's a tricky thing since the demographic that seems most applicable, given the current existence of the CW, is young adults. You're not going to see GoT production values on anything less than a stricty 18+ audience, but that demographic would be thrown off if then transitioning to the source material. Stuff like the Flash, Supergirl, or Supernatural, while aimed at adults, are at least suitable for children in most instances. But those are shows set in contemporary settings - usually a dressed up Vancouver - and even then still play carefully with how they use their effects budget. For every episode that features a Grodd or King Shark, expect another to have a villain in a cheap costume that barely uses their powers, and Barry stands around to let them do so.

Manga like One Piece are known for the frequent, protracted fights though, even without anime padding. That will be at its easiest in East Blue, but even stuff like the battle between the Strawhats and the Black Cay pirates would stretch the limits of conventional television. Unlike Game of Thrones you can't even save up for one big fight episode while leaving most other battles of the season offscreen - it's a shonen, the battles are the main mechanism for people's story arcs. Otherwise, you're going to piss off the fans who would drive word of mouth for the series.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I mean, it's going to be bad.

But I bet the live action version of Moyashimon will still be worse.

There's only 1 good live action version of an anime, and that is those Kenshin movies that came out over the course of the past 3 years. Everything else, american, japanese or otherwise, has been dogshit.

Speed Racer is the best live action anime.

Fucking why? Why do we need to do this shit. Sure OP is huge, but it's not huge enough to suddenly make a live action adaptation not shit. All I see is the shitty DB live action crap again.

Byvar

I hope that this has an original story that follows a different pirate crew, takes place in a different world from the manga, does not involve devil fruits, and has a different name, but shares the same basic themes of a pirate adventure and friendship. That's the only way I can see this being good.

I imagine it could be a story about kids going on a pirate adventure looking for some mythical treasure while helping people they meet and defeating/outsmarting bad grown-up pirates. That could potentially be heartwarming I think.

SOLDIER

I think the main problem is who are they targeting for this? One Piece like many shonen are usually targeted at teens but can be enjoyed by all ages.

So let's say they target the same audience then the show has to kinda be goofy, silly, and over the top, which I can't see translate well in live action. But If they target adults and want to get a new audience then they will have to ground it and it will kinda loose the spirit of One Piece.

And to add, One Piece isn't as huge as Dragon Ball, Naruto or even Attack on Titan in the US I think, so this will be a hard sell.

Also, I think this won't come to fruition anytime soon, such as the Naruto movie that was announced a couple years back and the Sword Art Online show.

As far as the US goes I'm pretty sure Attack on Titan eclipses all those other series in popularity, except perhaps Dragon Ball.

ExVicis

Swap Will Smith with Idris Elba.
Idris Elba is not nearly laid back or lazy enough to ever be Aokiji. I find it really really hard to believe Luther, the man who fucked up a door in the first episode, could ever play a guy who biked out to an island and took a nap.

Anth0ny

I predict they're going to try and go the Game of Thrones route with this. Instead of a bunch of families going after the throne, it'll be a bunch of pirate crews going after One Piece.

Straw Hats
Whitebeard's crew
Blackbeard's crew
Shanks' crew

I think this is how they should sell it right off the bat, rather than 95% of the focus being on Luffy and the Straw Hats. Bounce back and forth between them, even though the Straw Hats are really our main protagonists, like the Starks in GOT. I expect some sick ass casting for the emperors.

Shichibukai should be introduced early. Crocodile I expect to be the first big bad guy.

Buggy of course would look like this:

the-real-reason-the-j7arjw.jpg

get me in there coach I have ideas for days

blakep267

As far as the US goes I'm pretty sure Attack on Titan eclipses all those other series in popularity, except perhaps Dragon Ball.
Nah it's not hitting Naruto or DBZ. That's coming from a cross media perspective. Games, shows merchandise etc. AoT isn't that big.

Idris Elba is not nearly laid back or lazy enough to ever be Aokiji. I find it really really hard to believe Luther, the man who fucked up a door in the first episode, could ever play a guy who biked out to an island and took a nap.

When Aokiji gets serious he seriously looks like Idris Elba to me. But that's just my opinion.

Anth0ny

Gold Roger casting:

3136fc0cfd3cb4895d94eowsqa.jpg

They need someone awesome for that role. He needs to get the importance of the entire story across.

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
On one hand, the cast of characters is very diverse so casting could be very diverse, ranging across all different nationalities.
On the other hand, a lot of the characters have fantasy proportions and the reliance on CGI and make up would have to be huge if they wanted to do it justice. Arlong for a start would be difficult without him looking stupid, and it only gets more crazy from there.

It's just not gonna work without an insane budget. And I can't even seeing it working with one.

Nah it's not hitting Naruto or DBZ. That's coming from a cross media perspective. Games, shows merchandise etc. AoT isn't that big.

AoT was quite a success on it's first outing to the US. It could have probably grown into something huge in the West but the huge gap between seasons ruined that.

Anth0ny

On one hand, the cast of characters is very diverse so casting could be very diverse, ranging across all different nationalities.
On the other hand, a lot of the characters have fantasy proportions and the reliance on CGI and make up would have to be huge if they wanted to do it justice. Arlong for a start would be difficult without him looking stupid, and it only gets more crazy from there.

It's just not gonna work without an insane budget. And I can't even seeing it working with one.

Arlong shouldn't have the snout. It just looks goofy in live action. I think this show will live or die with how they translate some of the more fantastical stuff to live action.

Arlong would be fine just looking like this:

michael-rooker-yondu-9ebew.jpg

Creepy looking, cocky, evil mother fucker. Blue skin makes him a fish man. Simple.

Ray Down

Banned
Hasn't One Piece suffered enough in the US?

We could always bring back the 4 Kids dub.

So he basically gave a warning as his 'blessing' to the project, and request for curiosity at best.
It's sad to think he may have had little, if any, authority over the green lighting of this project.

I hope Oda has a little more control over this project.

Why can't they just, yknow, take that money and up the budget of the show?

I know it likely isn't that simple, but damn the show looks bad.

Marty Adelstein in Tomorrow Studios made a comment:
I've been enjoying ONE PIECE for 20 years. This live-adaptation project will require the largest amount of money in TV series history. It's well-deserved considering people around the world pay attention to ONE PIECE.

Kishishishishi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiuAMbm7Rc8

I've been enjoying ONE PIECE for 20 years. This live-adaptation project will require the largest amount of money in TV series history. It's well-deserved considering people around the world pay attention to ONE PIECE.

On the one hand, that gives some slight hope in that it recognises bringing this to live action while also treating the source material right could get costly. On the other... god this is gonna be a hard sell to American channels.

HStallion

Well at least they're being honest about the budgetary issues for a project like this but I seriously could give a shit about the rest of what she says. You always hear people adapting a property to the big or small screen say this and then the project turns into something that totally shits on the original or is so off the mark its laughable. The latest one I can think of is the Preacher TV series from Seth Rogan and a few others. They went on and on about how they were huge fans of the original comic and watching the TV show I have to wonder if they read anything more than a wikipedia entry while stoned out of their minds.

Ray Down

Banned
Guys, think if this show is crap is it gets on air Oda will push himself to make the manga that much better.

Like Akira Toriyama getting pissed at the live action movie.

hohoXD123

Guys, think if this show is crap, Oda will push himself to make the manga that much better.

Like Akira Toriyama getting pissed at the live action movie.

Or he'll be disheartened and go on more breaks.

Or he won't give a shit and just go for a swim in his pool filled with money.

kewlmyc

as i said earlier in another topic about a onepiece movie, it's not doomed to fail.

there was a day when even the marvel cinematic universe was considered an horrible idea...and now basically anyone is trying to copycat the same model and they are making an absurd amount of money

it really comes down to the usual 3 factors..money,effort and talent...without one of the three it will be a bad product..but there's the possibility that they menage to nail all three, and since the original material is good,i don't see why it shouldn't work.

They might get the effort and talent, but without money it's still fail. I don't see anyone bringing forth the money for this. It's not like One Piece has the cult following that Naruto and DBZ had (thanks 4Kids) here in the US. Hell, even SAO and AoT have more name recognition nowadays.

HStallion

Sure, I'll give you that. And it's still a bad movie.

I don't agree at all. I think its a wonderful film that captures the spirit of the original anime incredibly well and a visual marvel that was incredibly inventive.

Ray Down

Banned
The biggest barrier to the series is the length of it. You see it all the time here on GAF, and everywhere else. Another being based around just how the world is built with the adventure in mind doesn't hold much appeal either. Part of the reason you don't hear much about OG Dragon Ball in the West.
Only thing that can reasonably be done is a Kai-esque reboot, and that'll probably never happen.

Why's that?

Ray Down

Banned
They will do OP Kai 10 for like the 40th anniversary for the series or something.

Toei is going to keep OP going with or without Oda.

It's gonna go down hill with they introduce Capt. Buggy and then the Mermen.

This is gonna be Power Rangers level of bad production. I have no confidence in this.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
It's gonna go down hill with they introduce Capt. Buggy and then the Mermen.

This is gonna be Power Rangers level of bad production. I have no confidence in this.

The Mermen? They're not going to be shown for ages.
Oh wait, you mean the Fishmen. I don't even know how you can confuse the two.
Oh wait, 4Kids fuckery.

Top Bottom