• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hit Manga "One Piece" Getting Live-Action TV Show from Prison Break producer

ReiGun

Usopp is gonna be played by a Puerto Rican in tims. Nami's gonna look like an IG model.

I mean...

a27b683e26b32b581208342b670f075d--one-piece-nami-manga-anime.jpg
...wouldn't be entirely inaccurate. You can find tons of girls that look just like this with one click of IG's discover button. lol

SOLDIER

The one thing that could maybe justify the massive budget this series would need to work would be if they're intending to make this appeal to a worldwide demograph.

Assuming the primary language is English, if they can get a diverse cast of characters for both the Strawhats as well as establishing different cultures for the different factions, then a fun script and well-done action sequences could be the thing to make this the next big Netflix hit (because I sure as shit can't see this showing anywhere else).

One Piece may not be super poular in the US, but it absolutely kills in every other part of the world if I recall. They could be thinking globally with this thing, much in the way Overwatch managed to get all the money and fame on Earth despite being a Western-made series.

Ogodei

Even big budget blockbusters would have trouble getting the thrill of One Piece at its most chaotic across (i'm talking big stuff like Marineford or the Dressrosa battle.)

And you'd need an ace special effects department to not make Luffy goofy as shit (in a bad way, since Luffy's meant to be goofy, but not F4ntastic Reed Richards goofy).

rtcn63

I'm finishing up the Dress Rosa arc and Usopp
can go fuck off. Post time-skip, and he's running like a little shit while people die calling his name. Even though he'll redeem himself to some extent, he's just crap.

Impotaku

Who the fuck asked for this shit? Things i never want going together murica & onepiece, bet they will fucking clap after every fight.

No need to worry about how they will deal with turning the later arcs into live action as this thing will die long before they get there. Hell it'll probably die before they even get the going merry LOL.

Big One

Banned
can go fuck off. Post time-skip, and he's running like a little shit while people die calling his name. Even though he'll redeem himself to some extent, he's just crap.
Lolwat. If it wasn't for Usopp both Luffy and Law would've been turned into toys and forgotten about by everyone.

Nah.

Think about Sugar's powers and how the absence of Robin from his memories would reset any of the character progression he had in Water 7/Enies Lobby.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Nah.

Think about Sugar's powers and how the absence of Robin from his memories would reset any of the character progression he had in Water 7/Enies Lobby.

I'm astonished how many people forgot about that aspect of her powers. I saw a lot of "Usopp is so lame" posts when that happened. Good thing the God Usopp stuff happened shortly after that.

LotusHD

Banned

Finish the arc lmao

wandering

Banned
Wait. This is an American production?

Wait

What?

oh no

That's not how that works.
The characters in Jojo's Bizarre Adventure aren't Japanese (with exceptions).
You can write a story featuring characters that aren't your own nationality.

"with exceptions"

Literally three entire arcs are set in Japan starring Japanese people...

Galang

Banned
aThis will probably be bad, but honestly if they got rid of a lot of the goofy and quirky aspects there's a slim chance it could work. Obviously not as a 1:1 adaption, but majority of the individual arcs have strong enough stories that could be good with the right people behind it. This is one of the few cases where I'd prefer the live action attempt not to be faithful. Taking certain defining aspects of it would be nice, but definitely not all

The Mermen? They're not going to be shown for ages.
Oh wait, you mean the Fishmen. I don't even know how you can confuse the two.
Oh wait, 4Kids fuckery.

Fansubs back in the day also called them "mermen". It took years for fandom to actually get on board with calling them "fishmen" because of KF's bullshit. (This, of course, being the exact same point in time that they were saddling us with "nakama")

Fansubs back in the day also called them "mermen". It took years for fandom to actually get on board with calling them "fishmen" because of KF's bullshit. (This, of course, being the exact same point in time that they were saddling us with "nakama")

There's actually a difference between mermen and fishmen in One Piece though. So 4Kids fucked up, just in a different way.

There's actually a difference between mermen and fishmen in One Piece though. So 4Kids fucked up, just in a different way.

Yes, I know.

I'm just saying that the fuck up wasn't just on 4Kids. KF in their idiocy had already convinced most fans that Arlong and co were "mermen" well before 4Kids entered the picture, and it took literally years to convince most people otherwise.

I just can't get over them thinking a show that is 70% on or near copious amounts of water with main characters who have absurd powers (INCLUDIMG STRETCHING) and face gigantic enemies that would require a ton of costume or CG work being a good idea.

So naturally this will be nothing like that and be a fucking police procedural or something.

Maybe they adapt Chopperman

I just can't get over them thinking a show that is 70% on or near copious amounts of water with main characters who have absurd powers (INCLUDIMG STRETCHING) and face gigantic enemies that would require a ton of costume or CG work being a good idea.

So naturally this will be nothing like that and be a fucking police procedural or something.

Maybe they adapt Chopperman
It's going to be like the ending of Monkey Island 2 and its just a bunch of kids playing in a pirate themed amusement park.

I am 99% positive that this will never actually happen.

They made a big announcement about it at One Piece Tokyo Tower. The producer and Oda both made statements on it. Multiple news sites that never talk about One Piece made articles about this.

Something is going to come out of it, whether it's a pilot or a single season.

I'm not sure which network would even pick it up.

If the producer wants it to be "the most expensive television series in history", it would have to be on HBO, Showtime or Starz.

Do you remember that one episode where they had like a three-minute segment of translation notes where they like, wrote an essay defending the non-translation of "nakama"? Good times.

KF sucked. Hey, let's edit blood into the show. Hey, let's cut the next episode previews because they're "not in the manga" (but sub all the filler anyway?)

Do you remember that one episode where they had like a three-minute segment of translation notes where they like, wrote an essay defending the non-translation of "nakama"? Good times.

KF sucked. Hey, let's edit blood into the show. Hey, let's cut the next episode previews because they're "not in the manga" (but sub all the filler anyway?)

I remember during Water 7 when other sub groups got ahead of them, and when I switched to them, I was shocked by the episode previews. It wasn't until Funimation started dubbing Jaya/Skypiea that I realized they were always there.

When did they edit in blood?

Interesting, I'm not sure whether to be hopeful or fearful of this concept. Hopefully they pull it off.

Why does everyone have a specific nationality besides Ussop? Tad insulting. Oda needs to up his geography game.

The thing is, I doubt Oda put much thought into it. He's already said in the past that the SH are no-nationality people and that you can't say which country they're from. When he gave that answer for Brazil and what not, it was the 2nd time he had to answer that question and he sounded like he didn't care.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The thing is, I doubt Oda put much thought into it. He's already said in the past that the SH are no-nationality people and that you can't say which country they're from. When he gave that answer for Brazil and what not, it was the 2nd time he had to answer that question and he sounded like he didn't care.

It's the same sort of answer he gave for the birthdays. If he can't be bothered with the detail, and if it doesn't matter, he'll just let the fans pick or make it up at random.

Just not possible...this will be worse than the Avatar TLA movie adaptation.

It is, but it'd need a budget the likes of which we've never seen a TV show have before.

Top Bottom