• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hit Manga "One Piece" Getting Live-Action TV Show from Prison Break producer

Toxi

Banned
onepiecenationalities2.png
I look forward to seeing a Brazilian actor cast for Luffy.

Oh how I am mixed on this one.

On the one hand, the promise of a new adaptation is theoretically exciting, in that we could see a story closer to the source material, particularly on pacing. True that was less of an issue in the early days of the series, but however iconic Toei's score and cast may be, it's difficult to go back to the anime as it stands now.

On the other hand, a live action TV series, by a western studio, for a US audience? That sounds like it could go quite off the rails in the name of trying to make the show more successful. Especially on the effects side of thing; yeah shows like the Flash show how you can do some cool stuff on a TV budget, but they also faff about for most of the hour they're given, while saving most of their effort for one or two sequences every few episodes.

But on the other hand... if they stuck to an adaptation of East Blue, they wouldn't have too go too absurd with CGI for the heroes for the time being. Aside of Balloon, most of Luffy's moves are pretty basic; Zoro's dramatic cuts are still limited to looking vaguely like an actual swordsman; Nami is using her original staff with no other fancy moves; Usopp relies on honestly fairly realistic traps; Sanji is still at 'kicks people real good', rather than setting his leg on fire.

The trickier parts would be the setting, and the villains. The setting varies visually even early on, while the villains lean more readily to being absurd than the Strawhats do. Even Buggy's mooks feature a dude riding a giant lion and a guy with deadly circus moves. That could get pricey to replicate.

NZerker12

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

Is nothing sacred anymore.

With a rubber man, talking Tanukis, a long nosed man and tits bigger than watermelons.

This will not work.

Man, I feel so confused. For the longest time I thought that SBS said Robin was Italian.

Anyways, this probably won't end well just because of Luffy's stretching alone. I wonder if after Morgan they would skip straight from Buggy and Kuro to Krieg since he'd be easier to depict.

dabig2

Haha, I'm fucking in. Please cast TBag as Mr. 2 please and get to the Impel Down arc as soon as you can.

I will ingest all the requisite drugs needed for this show to make sense, so just produce it and do it with a DON.

Pbae

One Piece Live Action!

-Except instead of the ocean, they're in Chicago.
-Radioactive fruit caused by an evil corporation.
-One Piece is symbolic. They want One Peace by uniting all the parts of ChiTown in love.
-Every other episode, a Luffy big dick joke.
-Sanji is a born again Christian that doesn't womanize.
-Finishes in 24 episodes with a cliff hanger that will never be resolved.

Angel_DvA

Man, I feel so confused. For the longest time I thought that SBS said Robin was Italian.

Anyways, this probably won't end well just because of Luffy's stretching alone. I wonder if after Morgan they would skip straight from Buggy and Kuro to Krieg since he'd be easier to depict.

She always was "Russian"... it doesn't mean anything at the end cause it's not our world.

convo

Hey i don't care as long as they build the boat and film on it. Will they even attempt to go on adventures on multiple islands or will they be adapting one major arc to stay in one location i wonder? I somehow expect a german dub of this before an official english release.

I mean we've had the "which actor should play which strawhat" thing going on for at least a decade and a half, not like people haven't thought about it.

One Piece Live Action!

-Except instead of the ocean, they're in Chicago.
-Radioactive fruit caused by an evil corporation.
-One Piece is symbolic. They want One Peace by uniting all the parts of ChiTown in love.
-Every other episode, a Luffy big dick joke.
-Sanji is a born again Christian that doesn't womanize.
-Finishes in 24 episodes with a cliff hanger that will never be resolved.

...This makes me wary that they actually would try to do a 'modern' version of the show 'inspired by' the manga, rather than actual adaptation. Like a thinly veiled attempt to cash in on the superhero craze without superheroes.

There's no way this can work. Luffy alone would look horrible with his powers.

Official countries of origin of characters if they were from Earth from Oda.

SBS Volume 56

For non-fans the SBS is where Oda answers questions and reveals a ton of additional canon information about various characters and events.

Countries. Africa. Ok...

Countries. Africa. Ok...

Yeah in this case Oda dropped the ball, which I'm gonna chalk up to just not knowing that many African countries. I'd probably call him Moroccan, since it was a country well known for its pirates (as part of the Barbary coast), and he's rather light on his melanin count. Then again, not really the sort of metric Oda was using for the others I imagine.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I dont want this :-(
And i usually just ignore stuff that doesnt interest me...but man.

Ferr986

I dunno why people are so against this. It's not like the manga is going to be worse because this exist.

I'm curious about how they will do it.

captainpat

I dunno why people are so against this. It's not like the manga is going to be worse because this exist.

Probably cause it might give people who haven't read the manga a bad impression of the franchise, that and I don't think anyone wants a franchise they like to be associated with shit.

SOLDIER

You could literally name any other anime or manga property and it would be easier to adapt than One Piece.

Even if the series had a Netflix budget it would be impossible to pull off. You've got talking fish-men, giants, mermaids, sky people, zombies, robots and whatever the hell Ivankov is. Not to mention no shortage of islands, boats, and military soldiers running around the desert, snow, jungle, and even a whole arc that's goddamn underwater.

How...literally How and Why.

SOLDIER

They just use the closest thing, probably "family", think Fast and the Furious.

....suddenly I'm down to see Vin Diesel as Arlong.

But no, it just isn't possible.

Marineford_Island.png

Game of Thrones would look low budget by comparison.

Edit: I sure do like how it's impossible to get a properly sized image link from GIS.

Ferr986

Probably cause it might give people who haven't read the manga a bad impression of the franchise, that and I don't think anyone wants a franchise they like to be associated with shit.

But we don't know if its gonna be shit yet?
Also I dunno, If a Marvel movie is shit like Thor that doesn't mean I think Thor comics are shit too. Different stuff.

One Piece is really hard to adapt, this is sure. But there's enough good "comic" series (although not manga) to hope that they MAY do something decent with it.

I think the main problem is who are they targeting for this? One Piece like many shonen are usually targeted at teens but can be enjoyed by all ages.

So let's say they target the same audience then the show has to kinda be goofy, silly, and over the top, which I can't see translate well in live action. But If they target adults and want to get a new audience then they will have to ground it and it will kinda loose the spirit of One Piece.

And to add, One Piece isn't as huge as Dragon Ball, Naruto or even Attack on Titan in the US I think, so this will be a hard sell.

Also, I think this won't come to fruition anytime soon, such as the Naruto movie that was announced a couple years back and the Sword Art Online show.

Nightbird

I hope it ends up being about something other than the Strawhats.

The series has enough worldbuilding to have several side stories going.
And that would also be less likely to offend fans of the series.

AAK

As a manga fan, the anime already makes the original material look bad. I don't have faith a live action would do any better... but since the anime exists the damage is already done so whatever, do as you please.

marmoka

Banned
This is the only chance we have to see Uma Thurman as Shakky, Eminem as Enel and Hulk Hogan as Whitebeard.

Think about it.

Trying to picture live action luffy versus arlong and boy is it silly.
Luffy alone as a rubber man would be a nightmare to adapt into live action.

Mesoian

This is going to shit the levels we've never seen before.

I mean, it's going to be bad.

But I bet the live action version of Moyashimon will still be worse.

There's only 1 good live action version of an anime, and that is those Kenshin movies that came out over the course of the past 3 years. Everything else, american, japanese or otherwise, has been dogshit.

Top Bottom