• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hit Manga "One Piece" Getting Live-Action TV Show from Prison Break producer

onepiecenationalities2.png

That was half assed by Oda. Oda basically said "bro if I have to, this is what fits their image (without any strong reason why he came up it)."

This is what he said a while back.
O: Hmmm. First of all, Luffy's crew is all "No-Nationality Men". You can't say what country they come from.

I love One Piece.
I enjoyed Prison Break.

This is a bad idea. One Piece is probably the hardest of the Shonen Jump Big 3 at adapt to live-action. I don't see it happening with this.

Lunar15

Zoro's only going to have one sword, but you'll get this scene:

*cut to Zoro mid fight, confronted by three swordsmen. He cuts down one opponent and takes their sword to fight another opponent, one sword in each hand. After the secomd swordsman is defeated, his sword falls to the ground*

*shot of Zoro noticing the third sword*

*camera pans down to zoro's mouth... but he just smirks*

Zoro, looking at the camera: "Now that would be ridiculous!"

barit

One Piece character designs are way to over the top for Live-action TV. I mean just watch the damn current season. That is fucking Wonderland what´s happening right now. The whole thing would just be one big CGI session as Live-Action series lol

Manga and animes strongest selling point are their visuals and you can´t recreate them easily for Live Action. People need to understand this already especially in the west.

Zoro's only going to have one sword, but you'll get this scene:

*cut to Zoro mid fight, confronted by three swordsmen. He cuts down one opponent and takes their sword to fight another opponent, one sword in each hand. After the secomd swordsman is defeated, his sword falls to the ground*

*shot of Zoro noticing the third sword*

*camera pans down to zoro's mouth... but he just smirks*

Zoro, looking at the camera: "Now that would be ridiculous!"

I am 100% sure fans would shut the TV off if that actually happened.
Jesus fuckin Christ
This is going to even more embarrassing than the new Netflix death note
There's nothing embarrassing with that show. It's possible for it to be watchable and good. This is a whole other level.

Kaizer

Banned
Man, like.......what the fuck is this??? I don't see how this would work in live-action & remain faithful to the source material AT ALL.

zulux21

Oda already has assistants, I'm not sure what else he would need?

I'm not sure why someone thinks he would want to walk away from one piece and let someone else finish it.

the man lives and breaths one piece mean his manga only really takes breaks because shonen jump doesn't want him to fall over dead.

Interviewer: Four years ago, you told us, ‘I go to bed at 2:00 a.m. and wake up at 5:00 a.m. to work on the manuscript. I’ve been doing this for 15 years, so it really affects my body.’ Have you increased your hours of sleep?

Oda: Basically…it hasn’t changed. I work towards my deadlines, so I’m just as busy as when I was younger, and I’ve managed to pull it off each time with three hours of sleep. And if I do sleep more hours, I’ll have to take those hours away from something else I have to do. I don’t like that, so my hours haven’t changed. If I decide that I’m going to sleep for four hours, it makes me dread that I’ll have to sleep an extra hour. But after turning in the manuscript, I give myself one day to get plenty of sleep. I used to catch up on sleep like this since I was younger, so that’s where I adjust everything and leave everything else a mess.

https://www.quora.com/Why-does-Eiichiro-Oda-take-so-many-breaks-in-making-One-Piece

he also plans to retire from manga when he finishes one piece so yeah.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Lol....

Hope this turns out great and is financially successful.

Just so I can get a live action DragonBall film again, im willing to give hollywood another chance with that after seeing the fight scenes in MOS lol.

Anth0ny

Most importantly.... will they be able to pull off Whitebeard's mustache in live action?

I DON'T WANT TO HEAR ANY EXCUSES

zulux21

I thought the name sounded familiar

The One Piece 20th anniversary event revealed on Friday that Tomorrow Studios, a partnership between producer Marty Adelstein (Prison Break, Teen Wolf) and ITV Studios, will produce a live-action Hollywood television show adaptation of Eiichiro Oda's One Piece manga.

Tomorrow Studios is also producing a live-action television series adaptation of Cowboy Bebop.[/QUOTE].

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...ga-gets-live-action-hollywood-tv-show/.119132

wisdom0wl

Thought Dragon Ball Evolution would've dissuaded people from turning anime into live action ever again. This is probs gonna be terrible but if it's decent then color me surprised

Arzehn

I don't see the problem people have with this, your anime or manga isn't going away because of this. What's everyone freaking out about?

Are you scared Hollywood might waste their money or something? I don't get it.

Magwik

Banned
I don't see the problem people have with this, your anime or manga isn't going away because of this. What's everyone freaking out about?

Are you scared Hollywood might waste their money or something? I don't get it.
Nobody wants a shitty product

kewlmyc

I thought the name sounded familiar

The One Piece 20th anniversary event revealed on Friday that Tomorrow Studios, a partnership between producer Marty Adelstein (Prison Break, Teen Wolf) and ITV Studios, will produce a live-action Hollywood television show adaptation of Eiichiro Oda's One Piece manga.

Tomorrow Studios is also producing a live-action television series adaptation of Cowboy Bebop.[/QUOTE].

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...ga-gets-live-action-hollywood-tv-show/.119132

Just as I thought. This is never happening. The producer is an otaku that is happy to have the rights to these products, but I doubt will ever get funding/airing slot for these products.

Caja 117

I dont see this happening without changing a lot the source and toning down the DF powers...imagine Luffy Ballon live action....Or Skypea, or Water Seven, Or CP9.. there are so much weird stuff that just ...i dont even know...

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Actually no. Just because you feel it's a good fit doesn't make it so. FMA:B is bogged down by the kids.

Season 1 is legit good with a good concept. It lends itself to smaller budget + action and a bit of procedural.
No it's not the main duo are teenagers. When was the last time you watched the anime/read the manga.

SoulUnison

Banned
I mean, right off the bat, I bet they rename "Devil Fruits" to, like... Hmm...

"Demon Fruits" would probably piss off a lot of people, too...

Pluto

CAST 👏 ASIAN- 👏 AMERICAN 👏 PEOPLE 👏
No, according to Oda the crew really doesn't have nationalities (it being a fantasy world etc.) but when asked he whipped something up for one of the FAQs in the manga and according to that only Zoro is japanese (or the one piece world's equivalent) and that's the closest we come to actual canon. Going by Oda's information the majority of the cast is atually white.

The characters could really be any ethnicity (yes, also asian obviously) but Oda didn't intend for them to be specifically asian or the world to be asian unlike Avatar the last airbender for example, so please don't start a whitewashing controversy five minutes after the announcement.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
"So the premise is a 12 year old boy becoming a hunter to find his father. A hunter goes through a rigorous exam that tests mind and body"
"Interesting"
"His friends include a 12 year old assassin with a heart of gold that eventually learns to not be so brutal, a young man with glowing red-eyes on a revenge quest, and a medical student becoming a hunter to make money"
"I'm liking this"
"The villain is a clown that lusts after our hero"
"OUT!"
"No no no he lusts after his power not actually him!"
"OUT OUT OUT!"

Hisoka is actually one of the protagonists. '-'

CAST 👏 ASIAN- 👏 AMERICAN 👏 PEOPLE 👏

Why?

They live in an entirely different universe where they're all as nondescript as possible. There's an argument that they should maybe cast Japanese people, but then the series would just be in Japanese. Just cast whoever is best for each position. It's not like it's going to be good in the end anyway.

Top Bottom