• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hit Manga "One Piece" Getting Live-Action TV Show from Prison Break producer

Magwik

Banned
I actually like this idea.

It doesn't?
It does, but I don't think on that scale at least.
Some of the most popular and emerging shows in the West have short seasons that can be easily binged. Netflix is definitely a great idea, a recut version of the show is desperately needed.
Fuck Dressrosa in the anime for how it drags shit out

CryptiK

CAST 👏 ASIAN- 👏 AMERICAN 👏 PEOPLE 👏
THEY 👏 ARENT 👏 ALL 👏 BASED 👏 ON 👏 ASIAN 👏
PEOPLE 👏 JUST 👏 BECAUSE 👏 ITS 👏 A 👏 MANGA 👏 DOESNT 👏 MEAN 👏 THEY 👏 ARE 👏 ASIAN 👏

LotusHD

Banned
It does, but I don't think on that scale at least.
Some of the most popular and emerging shows in the West have short seasons that can be easily binged. Netflix is definitely a great idea, a recut version of the show is desperately needed.
Fuck Dressrosa in the anime for how it drags shit out

I see.

It'll be a small ass dagger. lol

One-Piece-24-4.jpg

kewlmyc

If Zoro doesn't put a sword in his mouth then what is the god-damned point?

I don't know what the point of a live action adaption is, but we're getting it anyway. If that's the case, then removing things that would look stupid as fuck in live action should be the first step (Usopp's nose, Zoro with a sword in the mouth). I mean, the anime barely knows how to handle him using it, hence why him using the sword in his mouth for his attacks is usually just flash cuts.

Maybe Netflix?

The only way to watch One Piece is to marathon One Piece. Watching one new episode a week on Toonami sounds like complete torture, especially in this age of binge watching.

If FUNi could somehow set up a deal with Netflix where, say, 20 episodes of One Piece are added and featured every other week, I feel like that would get a ton of eyeballs on it and people would be willing to give it a chance. I keep hearing stories about how people randomly stumble onto anime on Netflix and they quickly fall in love with the stuff.
Maybe it would help, I didn't actually give the show a shot until I happened to have Crunchyroll, only took me until the 4th episode till I realized I really liked it. I know the dubs pretty far in, a deal could be made.

To those saying kai.... yeah that would most likely be the smartest move they could make. It also would give another chance to start over without the fear of the size. But that's all up to toei.

I'm pretty sure they gonna change Luffy's powers. I don't see this happening with him being a rubber man.
I mean at that point if you are gonna screw up the show that bad why even make it a one piece show. Just make it some original pirate thing inspired by it.

Korigama

One piece has always had a problem of introduction in America. 4 kids ruined the first impressions but Toonami started airing the show too far in. Alot of people were scared to watch it until they caught up on their own. I don't know what the solution really is but it's such a good series, it easily should be above something like the bleach fandom in America.
Much, much bigger time sink for One Piece compared to another long-runner like Bleach. The style and tone of Bleach also have far more mainstream appeal in the US compared to One Piece.

barit

Wow. If something is absolutely unnecessary then this is it.

The shit with taking anime/manga and make them into real life movies/TV Shows needs to stop ASAP. Stick with the damn original. If you can´t watch or read these kiddie "cartoons" and "comics" then don´t do it and let it go. God damn Hollywood and every greedy salesman who is guilty for this. Argh

Dragun619

Man, wtf. As if 4Kids shit wasn't enough, They tryna make sure One Piece never picks up in the west. smh.

I can't even imagine how they'll even get all the fruit powers, characters, arcs, & backgrounds to even work on like a 12 or 24 episode a season TV budget while satisfying the fans at the same time.

Dugna

Much, much bigger time sink for One Piece compared to another long-runner like Bleach. The style and tone of Bleach also have far more mainstream appeal in the US compared to One Piece.

Also Bleach doesn't need somebody to actually watch ep 1 and above to understand the current arc because its either filler or bullshit pulls out of the ass.

I disagree, while it's longer one piece is also closer to American animation in terms of style. Plus explaining one piece is a lot easier to get someone on board with it "it's a show about pirates". Now the length being the biggest factor I agree with but again that's a problem that came with how badly we introuced it, imagine if instead of 4 kids we had a good version on tv. I'd be willing to bet you One Piece would have been right under dragon ball hype and well beyond most of what was pushed on kids.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
I look forward to the whitewashing arguments, and all the defensive replies from studios about how the original japanese creators are thrilled with the show and casting.

Magwik

Banned
Bleach got as big as it did thanks to the timing of it airing (the tone and style was much bigger back then), as well as the opening arc being genuinely good. Plus it also echoes more power fantasies for teens the same way DBZ did and Naruto. One Piece not being a power fantasy type of show will always be holding it back in the West, especially in the age of superheroes dominating trends moreso than ever.

The only anime like film direction I could see working would be to hire Edgar Wright and let him do it Scott Pilgrim style. I think it would be great. Will never happen.

Nah, Luffy being rubber is his thing. It's not happening.

That's Luffy's thing.

They'd also have to change the resolution to like 90% of the fights then too lol

I'm not saying that I want them to change Luffy's powers I'm saying if they want to realistically pull this off they have to. That or have a train wreck of a show. But that will probably happen either way.

Edit: Also I was saying that looking at this as something that could realistically happen. Like if I was gonna make it we have to change Luffy's powers to something more workable with live action.

But I also don't want a live action one piece because I love this series.

Mortemis

Banned
It's gonna be a show about a marine ship going around the grand line, with every episode about different pirates, at least at first. It'll have one person with a devil fruit on the crew that will be easy to do in a live action, and go against devil fruit users sparingly.

I probably wouldn't watch it tho. Lol

Korigama

Also Bleach doesn't need somebody to actually watch ep 1 and above to understand the current arc because its either filler or bullshit pulls out of the ass.
Between the two, One Piece does indeed rely far more on the viewers keeping up with and remembering details between arcs.
I disagree, while it's longer one piece is also closer to American animation in terms of style. Plus explaining one piece is a lot easier to get someone on board with it "it's a show about pirates". Now the length being the biggest factor I agree with but again that's a problem that came with how badly we introuced it, imagine if instead of 4 kids we had a good version on tv. I'd be willing to bet you One Piece would have been right under dragon ball hype and well beyond most of what was pushed on kids.
Sounds optimistic. Anime viewers don't really watch shows for similarities to American animation, be it shounen shows or otherwise. If I were to compare something else that was marketed as an alternative to DBZ, Yu Yu Hakusho was taken off of Adult Swim when it was airing there years ago before being moved to daytime Cartoon Network, and that didn't take off as they hoped it would either. Of course, this was an issue of a show originally left uncut being neutered after the fact (the exact opposite of what happened with One Piece). I'm not inclined to believe a pirates premise carries the appeal that you're suggesting.

And if anything, I'd say the draw with Bleach is less its story (especially after the Soul Society arc) and more its fights, not that its concept is particularly difficult to explain by anime standards.
Bleach got as big as it did thanks to the timing of it airing (the tone and style was much bigger back then), as well as the opening arc being genuinely good. Plus it also echoes more power fantasies for teens the same way DBZ did and Naruto. One Piece not being a power fantasy type of show will always be holding it back in the West, especially in the age of superheroes dominating trends moreso than ever.
Also this.

RedBoot

It's gonna be a show about a marine ship going around the grand line, with every episode about different pirates, at least at first. It'll have one person with a devil fruit on the crew that will be easy to do in a live action, and go against devil fruit users sparingly.

It would be kind of funny if they wrote more around characters with easy Devil Fruits.

Bon Clay's devil fruit would be extremely easy to do.

Phu

Banned
I'm not saying that I want them to change Luffy's powers I'm saying if they want to realistically pull this off they have to. That or have a train wreck of a show. But that will probably happen either way.

I just can't think of any scenario where severing the superhero from their superpower would actually work.

One Piece as a dressed up crime procedural would be dreadful

Top Bottom