• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hitman: Absolution - PC performance and optimization thread.

Ledsen

Nixxis is the BEST with patches. They are probably the most solid PC port studio in the industry. They came out with the 5 minute level load patch for Deus Ex about 16 hours after the game's release, reducing loading times to about 5-10 seconds.

I bought DX:HR several months after release and it still had tons of stuttering and audio lag on weapons fire. Don't know if they fixed it now though.

vocab

Nixxis is the BEST with patches. They are probably the most solid PC port studio in the industry. They came out with the 5 minute level load patch for Deus Ex about 16 hours after the game's release, reducing loading times to about 5-10 seconds.

Took them about a year to fix the stuttering issue that hundreds of people had with hr as well.

I'm not holding my breath for performance patches.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
And justifiably so. Most in-game fxaa looks like ass. Nvidia's implementation looks decent and smaa looks better overall.
Ah, well, I can see that. I always force nVidia's FXAA via the control panel and disable in-game FXAA myself while often combining that with SMAA.

As I play most games from 7ft back on a 50" Kuro, I find that this combo provides a very clean image that has little to no performance impact.

I suppose when I'm sitting up close to my higher resolution monitor (which I hate for gaming) then I use different AA options so I can see SOME of the hate if that's how people are playing their games.

Well, the hitching problem remained for a couple weeks. The weird thing about DXHR is that the partial build leaked months earlier had the same severe loading issues. I would have expected them to address that before releasing the game as it was very clearly a problem. I can't understand how they missed that problem when the fixed came so quickly.

Eideka

Banned
One of the best PC port of the year easily. :)

Runs superbly and looks stunning on my rig :
I7 3770
GTX670
16gb of Ram.

Maxed out with FXAA I get 71 fps in the benchmark.
MSAAX4 brings my framerate down to 40.

Why does MSAA always kill framerate these days? I used to be able to use MSAA all the time, even when I had a 9800GTX I managed to run games with 4xMSAA just fine.
But nowadays it's like everyone forgot how to implement it properly or something, it's even more demanding than SSAA lol

Why does MSAA always kill framerate these days? I used to be able to use MSAA all the time, even when I had a 9800GTX I managed to run games with 4xMSAA just fine.
But nowadays it's like everyone forgot how to implement it properly or something, it's even more demanding than SSAA lol

yea msaa nukes the performance in BF3 too...

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Well, the issue is that now that we use deferred rendering, this means that instead of sampling one buffer, you're sampling tons of buffers, so it's the equivalent of running MSAA on like five or more render targets instead of one.

scitek

They were, on the same page :p
Oh well, I'm on my phone :p

This morning I tried just SMAA by itself and it looked like it did a good job, but my framerate was stuck in the mid 40s. I just turned SSAO to Normal and it shot right to 60. I'd give that a try first.

Eideka

Banned
So, what is the real heavy hitter in this game ? Aside from the MSAA.

I tried to toggle off GI and surprisingly my framerate did not skyrocket at all, same for tessellation. Are those features well optimized ?

The SSAO instead of the HBAO on the other hand seems to greatly increase performance and I fail to notice the qualitative differences between the two.

Well, the issue is that now that we use deferred rendering, this means that instead of sampling one buffer, you're sampling tons of buffers, so it's the equivalent of running MSAA on like five or more render targets instead of one.

I see.. wouldn't SSAA or downsampling be better then? Works for Sleeping Dogs, makes my cards sweat like hell.. but atleast the framerate is fine

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
So, what is the real heavy hitter in this game ? Aside from the MSAA.

I tried to toggle off GI and surprisingly my framerate did not skyrocket at all, same for tessellation. Are those features well optimized ?

The SSAO instead of the HBAO on the other hand seems to greatly increase performance and I fail to notice the qualitative differences between the two.

Look back at my last post in the thread for a graphical option comparison of performance hits.

And how do you enable HBAO? I can set SSAO to High, but I don't see any option for HBAO.

Eideka

Banned
Siiick. Cheers.

And thank you for your detail results.

GI and tessellation are traditionally performance killers but that does not seem to be the case here.

That said Absolution is quite a demanding game, the game really pushes my GTX670 (highest temps I ever had, 67°C).
Although truth the game has its fair share of visually impressive moments.

Eideka

Banned
It should be underlined that the benchmark is not really representative of the actual performance of the game....In a good way !

I have no idea of what is going on technically speaking but when I played the sequence shown in the benchmark my FPS (I use FRAPS) was definitely higher.

My GTX670 is the power edition, clocked at 1019mhz. I guess that makes a difference.

I ran several benchmarks and the results were definitely not the same, sometimes 71, sometimes 64, I don't know what is causing this. Perhaps my settings were not saved correctly ?

I have only one friend in my gaming circle who is planning on picking up the game, I will ask him to report some numers.

n0n44m

Wish I hadn't blown the entire game budget for the month, would loved to have done some benches.

they even got an achievement for running the benchmark lol

so I did some MSAA / downsampling benches ... min/max framerates are pretty crap/random so don't pay any attention to those

i7 2600K @ 4.8 GHz, GTX 670 SLI @ 1240/7500 synchronized with 310.61 beta drivers

all settings ULTRA, FXAA off

---------------------------------------------

1080p no MSAA

82 avg

50~60% GPU usage

---

1080p + 2x MSAA

56 min
80 avg

~75% GPU usage

---

1080p + 4x MSAA

62 min
73 avg

~95% GPU usage

---

1080p + 8x MSAA

27 min
56 avg

~98% GPU usage

(~1800 MB VRAM)

---

2880*1620 + 8x MSAA

choppy 25 fps

(~2035 MB VRAM usage is probably too much)

---

2880*1620 + 2x MSAA

57 avg

---

2880*1620 no MSAA

70 avg

---------------------------------------------

been playing on 1080p 4x MSAA so far, think I'll go try 2880 downsampled 2x MSAA with V-Sync now ...

anyway SLI support seems pretty good (!)

in the benchmark the CPU becomes the limit once you approach the 80 fps mark, judging by the difference in GPU utilization between some of the settings

overall I think the game does look pretty damn good, but I do feel that the fps are pretty low for what you get compared to more efficient games ... this game feels like it is taking the brute-force approach to offer better visuals than the console versions, at the cost of potentially smoother framerates. Luckily framerate has no real impact on gameplay for this type of game

seems like another decent port by Nixxes :)

edit : just for fun, LOWEST SETTINGS

1080p 8x MSAA : 90 fps

1080p no MSAA : 100 fps

edit2: 1080p 8X MSAA on Ultra settings uses ~1800 MB VRAM here, so EatChildren's 570 (1280 MB?) is probably memory limited at those settings

scitek

I'll have to check the differences between HBAO and SSAO again. I remember actually preferring the latter in Max Payne 3.

i7 920 @ 4.2 GHz, 7970 Crossfire @ 1000/1500

Ultra, FXAA

Min: 43.4
Max: 102.0
Avg: 58.6

Ultra, 2xMSAA
Max: 91.4
Avg: 58.8

Ultra, 4xMSAA
Min: 42.7
Max: 81.7
Avg: 58.8

Ultra, 8xMSAA

Max: 70.0
Avg: 56.1

Oddly enough if I disable one card I get better performance without MSAA, but my FPS tanks once I turn it on.

It also seems like I'm very CPU limited. I really should upgrade my CPU and mobo sometime soon.

scitek

I do like that we either have high quality SSAO or HBAO to choose from and not high quality SSAO or shit quality SSAO.

SJRB

Gold Member
I have a GeForce GT 530, should I install the 310 driver entioned in this thread? Nvidia site talks about the GTX series only.

kitanii

Banned
i5 2500k @ stock 3.3GHz
8GB DDR3 RAM @ 1600MHz
Sapphire 6870 1GB

Seriously. AMD is plastered all over this game, but still the performance is really bad.
Looks like there's a similar issue as in The Witcher 2. Camera movement and animations are stuttering as soon as the framerate goes below 60. Which it does most of the time.
Running CCC 12.11 with the 12.10 CAP.

Ty4on

edit : just for fun, LOWEST SETTINGS

1080p 8x MSAA : 90 fps

1080p no MSAA : 100 fps

They say a 2.4GHz dual core and Nvidia 8000 series is minimum required. I really don't see how that is possible... Is the FPS limited at 100 or something?

theytookourjobz

i5 2500k @ stock 3.3GHz
8GB DDR3 RAM @ 1600MHz
Sapphire 6870 1GB

Seriously. AMD is plastered all over this game, but still the performance is really bad.
Looks like there's a similar issue as in The Witcher 2. Camera movement and animations are stuttering as soon as the framerate goes below 60. Which it does most of the time.
Running CCC 12.11 with the 12.10 CAP.

Damn. I run the same system. Is it that bad?

kitanii

Banned
Damn. I run the same system. Is it that bad?
The framerate averages between 40-45 running it on ultra without global illumination and ssao on normal @ 1080p. It's the stuttering that's making it unbearable. Just like in The Witcher 2.

EDIT: Ok. Running on high without GI and vsync. Looks and runs amazing now. Never dips below 40fps and theres actually no tearing strangely enough.

Eideka

Banned
The framerate averages between 40-45 running it on ultra without global illumination and ssao on normal @ 1080p. It's the stuttering that's making it unbearable. Just like in The Witcher 2.

This is strange because this game is part of AMD's Gaming Evolved program so in theory it should be highly optimized for AMD cards. Dirt Showndown had a GI option that was barely unplayable on any high-end Geforce cards for instance.

dmr87

i5 2500K OC@4.5Ghz
16GB DDR3
GTX 670 OC
310.61 driver

2560x1440
FXAA off
All other settings max/ultra

MSAA: 0
Min: 37
Max: 54
Average: 43

MSAA: x2
Min: 27
Max: 44
Average: 31

MSAA: x4
Min: 19
Max: 30
Average: 22

MSAA: x8
Min: 5
Max: 20
Average: 15

I also installed Afterburner 2.3.0 yesterday and it's acting up with Hitman, get a black screen sometimes when I start the game, stealth mode on seems to work most of the time.

edit - Game crashed after about 10 minutes, gonna try the WHQL drivers. (Afterburner was turned off)
edit 2 - Directx error crash (WHQL now), not alone with this problem it seems. I'll fiddle with this game later, need to work soon anyway.

Glass Rebel

i5 3570K@3.40GHz
8GB RAM
GTX-670 STOCK
1080p
Everything maxed, no FXAA
pre beta driver

MSAA x8
Min: 12
Max: 29
Avg: 24

MSAA x4
Min: 30
Max: 44
Avg: 36

MSAA x2
Min: 39
Max: 64
Avg: 46

MSAA Off
Min: 47
Max: 118 (lol)
Avg: 56

Let's see what the beta drivers do for me.

Edit: drivers did nothing for me. Guess I'm fiddling around some more until I find a sweet spot.

kitanii

Banned
Sigh. Old fashioned vsync related issue using AMD cards I suppose.
Turned off the in-game vsync option and all the stuttering is gone.
On a side note. Apparently the ultra setting is using more than 1GB of VRAM so check your levels if you're still having issues.

SSAO comparison:
(Sorry about the lack of AA, I'm using driver FXAA which doesn't show up in screenshots)

Normal

ibTgrgMvpF6Bj.png

High

iCNAf2jvw9wPy.png

Normal

iChyQacxAWo4C.png

High

iVgSumn0TekJX.png

Under the Normal setting it can get really grimy looking, especially indoors. Despite that, I think it still manages to look good in the darker scenes. I had a performance difference of about 10-15 fps switching between Normal and High, so I think I will stick with Normal at this point.

I'm happy with the performance I'm getting after trying out different AA and tuning some settings. I've got everything on High, Tessellation and Global Illumination on, in-game FXAA off and Nvidia Driver FXAA on. I found the driver setting caught more jaggies and there was zero difference in performance between the driver and in-game options.

Edit: Also, I think that benchmark is kinda weird. There is a lot more going on in it effects-wise than you'd normally get just by playing the game. They really jack up the DoF to 11 even though it's generally more subtle during gameplay. I just played through the area in the benchmark and the performance was FAR better than any of the benchmark results I got.

Eideka

Banned
SSAO comparison:
(Sorry about the lack of AA, I'm using driver FXAA which doesn't show up in screenshots)

The HDAO does look better but the performance hit is ludicrous. Even though my GTX670 can take it I think I'm going to go with the traditionnal SSAO.

I mean this kind of effect is so subtle that I would not even tell the difference between the two unless I try to look very closely.

Double D

I'm running everything on Ultra with a GTX465 and It looks fantastic. I turned on Fraps to check the framerate and It does dip into the 20's at time (most of the time runs around 37). The thing is I just don't really notice the frame drop in this game. Maybe it's because it's slow paced, but if I just turn off fraps I don't notice the framerate being offensive in any sort of way. I'm also running at 1920x1200.

Zarx

Nixxis only handled the UI and controls, apparently the engine work was all done by IO Interactive themselves.

Top Bottom