• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hitman: Absolution - PC performance and optimization thread.

pelican

Guys

I'm sorry to admit that as a PC gamer I get terribly confused with all the AA options that I never know which one to choose. It is weird I build my own rigs, and understand everything else but AA? Confuses the life out of me;p

My question directly for Hitman is if I use MSAA should I turn FFXA off, and vice versa. I don't think this make a difference but I am running a clocked 3570k, with a clocked 7970 lightning gpu.

Thanks guys.

Eideka

Banned
Nixxis only handled the UI and controls, apparently the engine work was all done by IO Interactive themselves.

Do you have a source for this ?

Because according to this they developped the DX11 features :
https://twitter.com/AMDGaming/status/235119096432316416

My question directly for Hitman is if I use MSAA should I turn FFXA off, and vice versa. I don't think this make a difference but I am running a clocked 3570k, with a clocked 7970 lightning gpu.

Thanks guys.
The FXAA can't compete with the MSAA IQ wise but be warned the performance hit when enabling MSAAx4 is fucking massive.
If I were in your shoes I would not hesitate and go with FXAA. You can still add FXAA on top of MSAAx4 though but again your card is going to struggle and don't be surprised : it really is that demanding.

Your GC should be more than enough to max out (including the DX11 features) the game at 60fps with FXAA or MSAAx2 + FXAA.

demolitio

That's why you don't use heavy SMAA. On light settings it's amazing. Look at the link I posted.

Would you mind telling me what the change in the SweetFX files from the default download to "light"?

No clue what to turn on and off for this one.

Bricky

I'm on a 560 Ti with a i5 2500k running the new Nvidia-drivers with everything on Ultra, FXAA enabled, and V-sync and MSAA turned off. That gets me a stable 40 FPS with no really stand-out ugly edges from not having MSAA, so I'm totally fine with the performance of this game.

mxgt

Banned
Is there any solid fix to the directx crashes?

I don't have that desktop composition thing in compatibility.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Excellent, with everything mostly maxed out and MSAA disabled I'm seeing a nearly perfect 60 fps.

Read something about disabling "desktop composition" by going into the properties of the game executable might help.
Yeah tried that and it did let me at least finish the King of Chinatown but next mission the same error came up. For me it stretched from maybe 15 mins before error to 30. Still shit.

Gbraga

I don't get it, I'm getting the same performance with SSAO maxed and normal on the benchmark.

The max fps goes higher with normal, but it's all above 60 so it doesn't make a lot of difference, the minimum stays the same.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Is there any solid fix to the directx crashes?

I don't have that desktop composition thing in compatibility.

It doesn't work even if you have it. The new drivers don't help either. I crashed with that error 1 minute into the tutorial just now.

No idea what's going on with that, and why some people can play and we can't.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
To people getting the DirectX error that crashes the game- are you using a WiFi dongle on your desktop?

I noticed that every time the game crashed, my internet connectivity went out and the dongle stopped functioning. Might be related...

dark10x

Excellent, with everything mostly maxed out and MSAA disabled I'm seeing a nearly perfect 60 fps.
Huh, even more impressive is that I can enable 2x MSAA on top of FXAA and achieve a smoother image without any performance hit. Only the shadows on the higher setting seems to hurt performance (well, and 4x or 8x MSAA which drop pretty hard).

One tip: disable the "exclusive fullscreen" mode and enable v-sync. This runs in a fullscreen window and eliminates the weird micro-stutters the game otherwise suffers from (this was even mentioned in the Digital Foundry article). Runs flawless in a fullscreen window.

scitek

I've gotten in the habit of just making an Afterburner profile and limiting my framerate to 60 lately. I still have yet to try the fullscreen window route.

Salsa

I'm on a 560 Ti with a i5 2500k running the new Nvidia-drivers with everything on Ultra, FXAA enabled, and V-sync and MSAA turned off. That gets me a stable 40 FPS with no really stand-out ugly edges from not having MSAA, so I'm totally fine with the performance of this game.

this is discouraging :(

im avoiding launching it cause my 670 isnt back from RMA and I dont wanna go in with a 560ti, but I cant hold off any longer dammit

dark10x

I've gotten in the habit of just making an Afterburner profile and limiting my framerate to 60 lately. I still have yet to try the fullscreen window route.
I do that as well, but it did not solve the issue with Hitman. I had to disable the exclusive fullscreen option. It wasn't THAT bad in normal full mode, but there was definitely an issue.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
e0a27306cb75eff7d19ede22daf3e1e1f0d058b5.jpg

FUCK. Any solution, GAF? It's not the more common "Device removed" error. Should I try updating my drivers?

If it helps, my specs are the following:
- Athlon 7750 Dual Core, 2.7 GHZ
- 3 GB RAM DDR2
- GeForce 9800 GTX+, 512 MB VRAM

It can run Sniper Challenge with everything at min without slowdowns or FPS drops, so I was hoping Absolution would run too. I'll update my video drivers and see if it helps.

EDIT: after updating, apparently it's working fine now. Guess I'll have to get used to update the drivers often.

Salsa

gtx 560ti 1gb
i5 2500k @ 4.5ghz
8gb of ram

everything on max + MSAAx2

not 1080p tho, playing it on the tv (1360x768)

guess i'll be alright. Im assuming the chinatown level used for the benchmark is the most taxing part of the game

Zarx

Do you have a source for this ?

Because according to this they developped the DX11 features :
https://twitter.com/AMDGaming/status/235119096432316416

http://penny-arcade.com/report/edit...-pc-version-of-hitman-absolution-is-just-fine

They worked with a company called Nixxes to make sure the controls and experience worked well on the PC. I was told that the game’s tech was optimized by IO, but Nixxis made it “very comfortable for PC players.”

Maybe I misunderstood the implication

n0n44m

I got a feeling this game has some weird GPU memory things going on (GTX 670 SLI so 2048 MB VRAM)

tried 2880*1620 + 2x MSAA as that scored pretty good in my benchmarks, but gameplay was FAR from smooth. Then I tried 1080p + 8x MSAA and had the same issue. I went back to 1080p + 4x MSAA and gameplay was smooth again.

What I noticed is that both those first two settings were constantly close or over 2000 MB of VRAM usage, which caused a lot of small freezes.

with 4x MSAA gameplay was smooth, but every transition between levels and/or cutscenes was choppy with short freezes. Whenever that happened VRAM usage was always high as well.

the start of the level after "Run for your life" is a good example; the intro camera is extremely choppy, once you can control 47 the framerate is smooth again but VRAM usage increases from ~1400 to ~1900 MB over a period of around 10 seconds ... with 8x MSAA or with downsampling the gameplay was atrocious and VRAM usage was over 2000 MB

anyone with a 7970/7950 who has monitored VRAM usage ?

osnake

Neo Member
Is this normal for my setup? My CPU is Core 2 Duo e6850 3.0 Ghz, 4GB RAM, ATI 6870.
I'm getting miniumum 12 FPS, max 35 and average 20. I tried playing at my native 1680 x 1050 resolution on lowest settings but it skips for most of the time. This is what my current settings are.

iGe02.png

SD0EU.png

Ledsen

Is this normal for my setup? My CPU is Core 2 Duo e6850 3.0 Ghz, 4GB RAM, ATI 6870.
I'm getting miniumum 12 FPS, max 35 and average 20. I tried playing at my native 1680 x 1050 resolution on lowest settings but it skips for most of the time. This is what my current settings are.

http://i.imgur.com/iGe02.png[/G]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/SD0EU.png[/G][/QUOTE]

That is a pretty old CPU.

Jubbly

The 6870 was a mid-range card at launch two years ago and your dual core CPU is equally outdated, I'm afraid :( To make matters worse, Hitman is very demanding.

osnake

Neo Member
The 6870 was a mid-range card at launch two years ago and your dual core CPU is equally old, I'm afraid :( To make matters worse, Hitman is very demanding.

Ahh, thanks for the reply. I guess it's time to save up for a new PC. Thanks again.

Q9650@4.00GHz, GTX4601GB@900/4400MHz, FW 310.61
1080p, Ultra, 16xHQAF

4xMSAA
Min: 17
AVG: 26

FXAA
Min: 32
AVG: 38

FXAA, Global Illumination Off, SSAO@Normal
Min: 34
AVG: 45

Sethos

Banned
So what kind of AA is everybody running? FXAA seems to do very little to my image and MSAA kills performance rather quickly. Anyone found some bits, some method, something else to turn down.

For whatever reason I had to manually add the game to get the nV control panel to detect it for the profile. It was only then that vsync worked. I don't know if I should blame the driver, Win8, or both.

iGe02.png

SD0EU.png

I'd say the biggest culprit is the CPU here. Time for quad core methinks :)

Ahh, thanks for the reply. I guess it's time to save up for a new PC. Thanks again.

You just need a new CPU, board and memory. The 6870 is fine. I wouldn't base my upgrade path on a game that needs a 4.5Ghz Ivy and a 680 or 2 to average 60.

Considering you made it this long with a C2D, an i3 3xxx would work out great. Honestly you could probably sucker someone into buying your CPU, board and memory and have the CPU paid for, lol.

Salsa

well shit, this game is destroying my PC

GTX680, i5 2500k 4.5ghz

everything on the highest, NO MSAA, NO SSAO

constant 60fps for the most part, then I stand here:

boom I go down to the 40-45 fps

is this normal? :/

Zeliard

With a 680 OC + 2500k @ 4.5 I averaged 40 FPS in the benchmark with everything maxed, 1920x1200, 4x MSAA. With everything the same but MSAA off, the average jumped up to 65 - a difference of 61.5%.

Haven't started the game yet so I don't know what gameplay conditions will be like, since benchmarks are meant to be intensive. As others have said, MSAA definitely puts a stomping on frames, either way.

Salsa

With a 680 OC + 2500k @ 4.5 I averaged 40 FPS in the benchmark with everything maxed, 1920x1200, 4x MSAA. With everything the same but MSAA off, the average jumped up to 65 - a difference of 61.5%.

Haven't started the game yet so I don't know what gameplay conditions will be like, since benchmarks are meant to be intensive. As others have said, MSAA definitely puts a stomping on frames, either way.

just ran the benchmark with everything on max and MSAA off, results:

what are you OCed clocks?

I just got this 680 and im just worried it might be underperforming

for comparison these are the previous results with my 560ti:

also im running this at a 768p res

Alrighty here are my benchmark results:

System:

1920x1080

Core i7 2600k @ 4.5ghz
16GB RAM
GTX 590
SSD

1. Everything on max with FXAA OFF and MSAA on 8x:
76219143.jpg

2. Everything on max with FXAA ON and MSAA OFF:
92914506.jpg

Im not so sure about it being CPU limited.

Sethos

Banned
Found an AA sweetspot that allows my GPU to stay quiet when playing, 2xMSAA + SweetFX's SMAA ( Only thing enabled, not all that vibrance )

Top Bottom