• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hitman: Absolution - PC performance and optimization thread.

So what kind of AA is everybody running? FXAA seems to do very little to my image and MSAA kills performance rather quickly. Anyone found some bits, some method, something else to turn down.

I'm running msaa x8. But then again I'm fine with 40fps and 1440x900. Looks awesome.

UrbanRats

Getting weird lines in the sky:

Anyone know what may fix it?

izm8Q4WXzoLYH.png

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Alrighty here are my benchmark results:

System:

1920x1080

Core i7 2600k @ 4.5ghz
16GB RAM
GTX 590
SSD

1. Everything on max with FXAA OFF and MSAA on 8x:
76219143.jpg

2. Everything on max with FXAA ON and MSAA OFF:
92914506.jpg

Im not so sure about it being CPU limited.

You running v-sync? Does SLI work? 60 fps ain't that bad if that's all settings max and only one gpu running. I say "that bad" considering you have a bloody 4.5 ghz cpu and a technically sli 580s.

Salsa

after playing for 8 hours or so I can say that the benchmark and first tutorial level are pretty much shit with regards of getting an idea of how the game will run.

Ive been able to mantain a steady 60fps 90% of the time so far with everything on max and MSAAx2

Corky

after playing for 8 hours or so I can say that the benchmark and first tutorial level are pretty much shit with regards of getting an idea of how the game will run.

Ive been able to mantain a steady 60fps 90% of the time so far with everything on max and MSAAx2

So the benchmark isn't really representative of the game, in a good way?

Yeah it definitely seems to be a benchmark meant to stress your system as much as possible.

From my experience the game runs a lot smoother than the benchmark numbers make it look like.

Corky

Yeah it definitely seems to be a benchmark meant to stress your system as much as possible.

From my experience the game runs a lot smoother than the benchmark numbers make it look like.

Good to hear, good good.

Salsa

yup, also dont get scared off by the first level. There were certain areas where I was getting drops to the 40s and it never happened again after that level

gtx680 + i5 2500k @ 4.5ghz btw

Corky

yup, also dont get scared off by the first level. There were certain areas where I was getting drops to the 40s and it never happened again after that level

gtx680 + i5 2500k @ 4.5ghz btw

I've been seeing a lot of 670/680 + ~4.5 ghz people having performance that I don't feel is "indicative" of such rigs in a batch of recent games. Hopefully this trend dies immediately.

Salsa

I've been seeing a lot of 670/680 + ~4.5 ghz people having performance that I don't feel is "indicative" of such rigs in a batch of recent games. Hopefully this trend dies immediately.

yup

what's also ridiculous is that im playing this game at 1360x768 (TV with a controller) and I still got those drops

I dont exactly know how much resolution affects performance, but I thought it was pretty ridiculous

You running v-sync? Does SLI work? 60 fps ain't that bad if that's all settings max and only one gpu running. I say "that bad" considering you have a bloody 4.5 ghz cpu and a technically sli 580s.

Yeah Im running vsync.
SLI seems to work fine with the latest beta Nvidia drivers since they included a SLI profile for the game.

What I ended up using now is 2x MSAA and FXAA which gets me:

Min = 50
Max = 62
Average = 58

n0n44m

I still think VRAM usage in this game is just bugged at times ...

I switched from 4x MSAA to 2x MSAA in order to avoid frame drops

with 4x MSAA it would for instance use up 2000something MB VRAM at the start of Part II - Shaving *Blabla*

if I then immediately selected to restart at the last checkpoint, it dropped to 1600something?

anyway it later climbed again to 2000ish, and at same point I got the "DirectX out of memory crash"

2x MSAA seems to eliminate all hiccups and not crash so I'm sticking to that

SLI itself is pretty good yeah , getting nearly perfect GPU utilization on both cards (!)

scitek

yup

what's also ridiculous is that im playing this game at 1360x768 (TV with a controller) and I still got those drops

I dont exactly know how much resolution affects performance, but I thought it was pretty ridiculous

Did you get the 2GB or the 4GB 680? Cuz if its the former, with this game's textures, I could see it maxing out 2GB and causing trouble.

SRTtoZ

all settings on high/ultra, 1080p, msaa normal and fxaa on and im averaging 50fps with my laptop. looks great and runs great! I had msaa on high but i was losing about 10fps, just not worth the miniscule difference imo.

lastly the benchmark seems to be the worst case scenario fps wise since im a few hours into the game and its been hovering at mostly 60fps, not 50 like the bench says.

leng jai

all settings on high/ultra, 1080p, msaa normal and fxaa on and im averaging 50fps with my laptop. looks great and runs great! I had msaa on high but i was losing about 10fps, just not worth the miniscule difference imo.

lastly the benchmark seems to be the worst case scenario fps wise since im a few hours into the game and its been hovering at mostly 60fps, not 50 like the bench says.

What super laptop is this you're using?

Dries

So this port is done by the same guys as the Deus Ex: HR port. Is the well known stuttering issue also present in this title?

So this port is done by the same guys as the Deus Ex: HR port. Is the well known stuttering issue also present in this title?

I had on and off stuttering problems with DX:HR (it's smooth for me now) but I haven't had a single stutter with Hitman. If you do experience them you can run the game in a fullscreen borderless window by unchecking the Exclusive Fullscreen option in the display settings. That's always been a solid fix for stutters in other games.

I saw a Bokeh Filter thing in the Giantbomb quicklook, any way to enable that ingame, all my depth of field is the usual blurry crap.

Getting weird lines in the sky:

Anyone know what may fix it?

I had this too at first. Try running depth of field and SSAO on the lowest settings possible. That fixed the problem for me, and then I was able to re-enable them in later sessions without the lines coming back.

Is 71 degrees ok for a 560Ti? It never goes higher than that but it's usually hovering around 68-71 the whole time I play Hitman.

And another thing, why is there no perceptible performance difference between the normal and high texture settings? If they're on high then 99% of the VRAM is used up the moment the game loads but if I set them to normal it uses half that amount, only the frame rate is the same and so is the card temperature. Not to mention the textures seem to look identical on both settings, though I haven't really compared the two that closely. But at a glance they look very similar.

Dries

I had on and off stuttering problems with DX:HR (it's smooth for me now) but I haven't had a single stutter with Hitman. If you do experience them you can run the game in a fullscreen borderless window by unchecking the Exclusive Fullscreen option in the display settings. That's always been a solid fix for stutters in other games.

Yeah, the borderless window thingie worked for me too in DE:HR, but strangely enough it doesn't help me with Sleeping Dogs; where I get stuttering in any screen mode :(

Salsa

just OC'ed my 680 (+150 gpu clocks + 400 memory) and ran this for kicks, these are the new results (everything on the highest except MSAA off)

old results (stock 680)

(not sure whats up with the maximum fps there)

still not sure how im not reaching Zeliard's (nor TheVampire's) numbers

Salsa

Did you get the 2GB or the 4GB 680? Cuz if its the former, with this game's textures, I could see it maxing out 2GB and causing trouble.

just caught this sorry. im at 2GB but in the benchmark the memory usage doesnt seem to go above say 1.5 gigs (with precision's on screen display)

e0a27306cb75eff7d19ede22daf3e1e1f0d058b5.jpg

FUCK. Any solution, GAF? It's not the more common "Device removed" error. Should I try updating my drivers?

If it helps, my specs are the following:
- Athlon 7750 Dual Core, 2.7 GHZ
- 3 GB RAM DDR2
- GeForce 9800 GTX+, 512 MB VRAM

It can run Sniper Challenge with everything at min without slowdowns or FPS drops, so I was hoping Absolution would run too. I'll update my video drivers and see if it helps.

EDIT: after updating, apparently it's working fine now. Guess I'll have to get used to update the drivers often.

I am running into this issue now ~_~

demolitio

Can anyone help me out here with a little bit different of a crash than the others. Here's my post about it in the other thread.

I was having fun up until the second mission. Why? Because now I can't launch the damn game. It starts, flickers on a black screen and then closes and gives me the "Game is not available (application is running)" error on Steam. I've been searching for a while now trying to fix it but I'm fed up. This is ridiculous.

I don't get how I can play fine the first day and stop at the second mission just to have the game never to work again since then. I'm getting really annoyed as it's been a few days now with no answers that I can find.

nashb81

Neo Member
Can anyone help me out here with a little bit different of a crash than the others. Here's my post about it in the other thread.

I don't get how I can play fine the first day and stop at the second mission just to have the game never to work again since then. I'm getting really annoyed as it's been a few days now with no answers that I can find.

This may seem obvious but have you tried verifying integrity of game cache? Also are you an NVIDIA user? If so, have you upgraded to the 310.61 beta drivers?

demolitio

This may seem obvious but have you tried verifying integrity of game cache? Also are you an NVIDIA user? If so, have you upgraded to the 310.61 beta drivers?

Yeah, I verified and it didn't solve it and I don't have an NVIDIA card but I wish I did since the drivers solved the issue for others, lol. I updated all of my drivers and everything and still no luck, but it worked in the very beginning anyway so I'm assuming it's some sort of shitty bug.

I'm going to leave my computer on tonight and redownload and hope for the best and then probably come back in here if it doesn't and cry some more. :p

nashb81

Neo Member
Yeah, I verified and it didn't solve it and I don't have an NVIDIA card but I wish I did since the drivers solved the issue for others, lol. I updated all of my drivers and everything and still no luck, but it worked in the very beginning anyway so I'm assuming it's some sort of shitty bug.

I'm going to leave my computer on tonight and redownload and hope for the best and then probably come back in here if it doesn't and cry some more. :p

I was browsing the Hitman forums and someone suggested updating your K-Lite Code pack, if your game is constantly crashing during cut-scenes. Or then, there's this option.

demolitio

I was browsing the Hitman forums and someone suggested updating your K-Lite Code pack, if your game is constantly crashing during cut-scenes. Or then, there's this option.

I tried both and no luck. Even downloaded it again overnight. Maybe I'll try moving my save file if I can find its location since it makes no sense that I played the game before perfectly and then it just stops working all of a sudden. Either way, they really pissed me off with this and the forums are full of shit like this.

I don't understand this complaint. For years we've been waiting for Devs to show us how good a game can look on a high end PC, and when they finally do everyone whines that they don't get 200fps with all settings maxed out anymore. Just a reality check: if you're getting 40-50 GPS in the worst case scenario presented by the benchmark with everything maxed and some MSAA you are golden.

For me the benchmark appears CPU limited on my 3ghz quad core Phenom 2 and 6970. The swing from low to ultra with 2x MSAA is only about 3 fps hovering around 30 average.

x3sphere

Game runs great on my 7970

Usually around 40fps at 2560x1600, no MSAA. Feels smooth and I don't really notice the jaggies too much in this game.

So I just died and hit restart checkpoint and I've been at the loading screen for about 5 minutes now...

What do I do? I'm worried it'll eat my save if I quit the game through the task manager.

Edit: I quit out by ending the task but now I'm in the same situation again. This load screen is infinite!

Salsa

So I just died and hit restart checkpoint and I've been at the loading screen for about 5 minutes now...

What do I do? I'm worried it'll eat my save if I quit the game through the task manager.

Edit: I quit out by ending the task but now I'm in the same situation again. This load screen is infinite!

this happens to me pretty frequently, and I have it installed on an SSD

Eideka

Banned
i63g6k273LBIU.png

First time it happens to me with this game.

I hope Nixxes are working on a patch. It seems turning off MSAA does the trick but the FXAA implementation is particularly awful. Usually I don't have a problem with FXAA, it does wonder in Batman AC, Borderlands 2, Sleeping Dogs but in this game it does very little to get rid of the jaggies.
2XMSAA + FXAA is a very good balance between quality and performance I think.

Jubbly

New patch out with some nice performance improvements:

- Added option to lower or disable Bloom effect
- 'Change Cover' action can now be mapped on a separate key.
- Country leaderboards are now in the correct language
- Weapon selector doesn't appear when point shooting anymore
- Pausing game doesn't skip cutscenes anymore
- Slightly improved general performance
- Performance improvements for MSAA and HBAO
- Fixed King of Chinatown behavior
- Disabled use of all DirectInput devices (as they are unsupported)
- The disguise parameters on ‘Professional’ difficulties have been tweaked.
- Difficulty adjustments
- Displayed high scores are now selected from all difficulty levels.
- Fix for negative scores
- Fixed disappearing user interface on AMD HD 3650

Pre-Patch 680 SLI Performance:

hma2012-11-2106-57-05tgu9o.png

Post-Patch 680 SLI Performance:

O6FiT.png

Max settings, 1920x1080, 4xMSAA

Dries

Holy shit, these graphics are amazing! Running a

i5 2500k 3.3Ghz
ATI 6970 2gig
8 GB RAM
1920 x 1080

Everything set on Ultra and MSAA x2. Getting somewhere around the 35-40 fps. Then in some spots it drops in the 30-35 area. But what do I care, usually I'm in the 35-40 region and damn does it please my eyeballs.

Edit: also, no stuttering! Yay!

Top Bottom