• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HL 2 gets an update - everything in Korean - Means nothing, as usual

MoosiferX

This is another case of people setting themselves up for disappointment. I see this happen every year, every E3, every event Valve attends, etc.

The easiest way for people to not get worked up, excited, then disappointed, is to remember a few things:

1) If you think it's HL3, Episode 3, or a HL ARG, and you're not 100% sure, it's not any of those things.

2) When Valve chooses to announce the next HL game, it will be very clear, even if it's something like the Portal ARG.

Be wise. Be safe. Be aware.

YOU'RE BEING TOO RATIONAL FOR INTERNETS. xD

Seriously though, the day will come. Your way of (half) life is spot on.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Am I crazy if I think there's a connection here?

I'm going to suggest you read this article by Valve's Adam Foster, designer of the Portal ARG, especially the section on "Accidental false clues and connections." While these two situations are not identical (2010 ARG and today's updates), the way people are looking for clues and connections with today's updates certainly is similar.

YOU'RE BEING TOO RATIONAL FOR INTERNETS. xD
I believe I am doing what is colloquially known as "keepin' it real."

jerry113

Banned
I think I've spent too much time in that recent conspiracies thread in OT. That and the caffeine is doing me something.... Shoot I TOLD MYSELF I WOULDNT GET ON THE HYPE TRAIn

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Am I crazy if I think there's a connection here?

Note: This poster was mistaken about the Breen image replacement, but correct about the audio conversion.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3140917&page=2

http://half-life.wikia.com/wiki/Black_Mesa_Research_Facility

conclusion: maybe Gordon Freeman will travel back in time to the 1950s to stop Black Mesa from ever being created. I don't know.

Wasn't an old missile silo used to stop another resonance cascade from happening at the end of HL2EP2?

Easy_D

never left the stone age

jph139

It's nothing, but one of these days it's going to be something, and that's gonna be pretty cool.

I was messing around in Half-Life 2 yesterday for the sake of Steam Trading Cards and that opening is still one of the most atmospheric in gaming history, man, if they can match that they're set.

Tenrius

What doubt about the HL3 related announcement on July 4th could possibly remain at this point? Or is that PC gamer teaser image really a joke?

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I think it's actually an old, old wooden ship that was used during the Civil War era

The one thing I remember is getting so excited for a HL3 mention with that achievement, when all the thing was just a simple empty place.

Valve is the master troll.

jerry113

Banned
Wasn't an old missile silo used to stop another resonance cascade from happening at the end of HL2EP2?

The base is installed in an aging Cold War base bought very cheap by Black Mesa to develop some projects in response to budgetary and oversight problems associated with basing all work in North America.

http://half-life.wikia.com/wiki/White_Forest

Not necessarily the 1950s... But could be?

The only other thing of significance concerning the 1950s in the half-life universe is that aperture and black mesa competed against each other during that decade.

http://half-life.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline_of_the_Half-Life_universe

jerry113

Banned
Okay, I was half kidding, but do we know in what year the Borealis was made?

A refresher on the Borealis' appearance in Portal 2

The Borealis is an Aperture Science research icebreaker introduced in Half-Life 2: Episode Two. According to Isaac Kleiner, Aperture was working on a promising project, but in their rush to beat Black Mesa for funding, they neglected ordinary safety rules and the ship simply disappeared with parts of her drydock, which earned her an almost legendary stature. It is assumed that the Borealis contained an immensely powerful and dangerous secret, yet to be revealed.

The Borealis’ teleportation mishap shares many similarities to the urban legend of the Philadelphia Experiment in which the warship USS Eldridge was rumored to have been rendered invisible by experimental technology. In some versions of the story, the ship had accidentally teleported from its dry dock to a U.S. naval base over 200 miles away. In the most radical versions of the story, the ship achieved accidental time travel.

http://half-life.wikia.com/wiki/Borealis

http://combineoverwiki.net/wiki/Borealis_(Aperture_Science_ship)

I notice there's some blueprints of the Borealis included. Can anyone make out any dates?

Spazznid

This is another case of people setting themselves up for disappointment. I see this happen every year, every E3, every event Valve attends, etc.

The easiest way for people to not get worked up, excited, then disappointed, is to remember a few things:

1) If you think it's HL3, Episode 3, or a HL ARG, and you're not 100% sure, it's not any of those things.

2) When Valve chooses to announce the next HL game, it will be very clear, even if it's something like the Portal ARG.

Be wise. Be safe. Be aware.

Do not listen to this man's lies!

It has come to my attention that some have lately been called fanboys, and fangirls, as if such a term were shameful... I ask you, what greater endeavor exists than that of fanboyism? In our current industry status, refusal to be fans is refusal to grow, and insistence on the generic, if you will.

Does the gamer refuse to Believe? It does not! They creep forth, boldly, while their bretheren remained in the Steamless, Ocean abyss, with lid-less eyes, forever staring at the other FPS. Ignorant and doomed, despite their eternal vigilance. Would we model ourselves on the Dudebro? Are all the accomplishments of Valve fated to be nothing more than a layer of broken buggy games, thinly strewn across platforms? Sandwiched between an indie bundle and an eon's-worth of orange and blue? In order to be true to our nature and our destiny, we must look for more signs. We have outgrown our need for hand-outs! It is futile to cry for GabeN's milk, when our true sustenance awaits us among the ARGs. And only the Universal Gift, that small minds call Half-Life, can carry us there! Therefore I say, "Yes, I am a fanboy, we must all become fanboys and fangirls, willingly, eagerly, if we expect to reap the benefits of the HL3 announcement.

And reap we shall...

I refuse to get hype over this. Refuse

Let's hype ourselves out of our minds

When the hype collapses, I will be far away from here. In another universe, as a matter of fact! You, on the other hand, will be destroyed in every way it is possible to be destroyed - and even in some which are essentially impossible!

Gah damit Valve!

Quit pulling my heart strings. Unveil HL3 as part of the summer sale treasure hunt that has to do with the trading cards. People to collect them all, will receive a free copy of HL3 and fly to Valve. right guise, Guise... GUISE!

srsly-guise_o_179451.gif

KingKong

oh man remember the adaptive difficulty from Sin Episodes 1 which iirc just made some parts of the game really hard for people

oh man remember the adaptive difficulty from Sin Episodes 1 which iirc just made some parts of the game really hard for people
Yeah, apparently before a patch it would just ratchet up the difficulty but never turn it back down so it just kept escalating.

Game did some neat things though, I loved the stats page you could pull up. Also had the inklings of a Horde mode way before it was a popularized thing. Dammit Ritual, why did you have to die? Now I'm stuck with the first fifth of an FPS game never to be complete. ;^;

Top Bottom