• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hollow Knight - Beautifully animated 2D 'vania - On Kickstarter

AriEX2

Just a quick question for AriEX2, what are you using to animate with? Just photoshop?

Yeah just Photoshop. I while back I put together a process video showing how I work, but it's still waiting for narration. I'll try and get it out sometime soon. My method is actually really simple and the Hollow Knight style means I can get animation out at a crazy rate.

Also! Here's a pic of a lovely lady we'll be showing more of really soon:

maulok_zps084884fa.png

Yeah just Photoshop. I while back I put together a process video showing how I work, but it's still waiting for narration. I'll try and get it out sometime soon. My method is actually really simple and the Hollow Knight style means I can get animation out at a crazy rate.

Also! Here's a pic of a lovely lady we'll be showing more of really soon:

maulok_zps084884fa.png

Very cool. I am sitting here right now about to begin some more character animations for a game I'm working on, your work is very inspiring!

Thanks.

Brooding Mawlek gameplay demonstration! Watch me die a whole bunch of times.

still_zpsbc1171dc.jpg

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqHmosJcY0s

Please remember this stuff is all still pretty rough, so expect a lot of refinement before the final game.
After watching that video I jumped in at the beta level. Had been intending to back once that KS reminder pinged me; this just made me do it sooner! Would consider going higher if there were some physical rewards, but I can understand (and respect) wanting to avoid the logistics of that. Game looks brilliant.

Jobbs

Banned
updated the OP. great effort by the guys, too, for adding some much content throughout this Kickstarter.

AriEX2

Thanks so much gang. And thanks to everyone backing! The whole team wants so badly to play Hollow Knight on our Wii U's.

And Hornet on the front page! That's brilliant. She's my second favourite of the supporting cast (there's one more yet to reveal who I really love!)

Here's her sprite:

3005425b97844562e39beb7ef3b5c38e_large_zpsf2c7eab0.png

Now if only I can get a figurine of her as well!

maxcriden

So psyched for this! I definitely recommend a title change to mention the Wii U stretch goal, I'm sure many would be excited to see that.

Dr. Buni

Thanks so much gang. And thanks to everyone backing! The whole team wants so badly to play Hollow Knight on our Wii U's.

And Hornet on the front page! That's brilliant. She's my second favourite of the supporting cast (there's one more yet to reveal who I really love!)

Here's her sprite:

3005425b97844562e39beb7ef3b5c38e_large_zpsf2c7eab0.png

Now if only I can get a figurine of her as well!
Supporting cast :/ Too bad she isn't playable.

DMiz

Really liking the art. I hope that the other environment either show sparks of color or vastly different architecture, though, as for the current time, I can imagine it feeling quite dreary with extended play.

The animation on that carriage carrion beetle is amazing - reminds me of the opening of Rondo of Blood.

jimboton

Watching the latest video (looking very good!) I noticed something odd, are there no sloped surfaces anywhere in the game world?

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Entirely feasible.

I just think 2014 hasn't be a great year relatively speaking for KS projects.

That's good to hear. I'm notexactly well-informed when it comes to KS projects, but this looks cool and these are somewhat meagre times for Metroidvania fans.

Why is 2014 a bad year for KS?

Brooding Mawlek gameplay demonstration! Watch me die a whole bunch of times.

still_zpsbc1171dc.jpg

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqHmosJcY0s

Please remember this stuff is all still pretty rough, so expect a lot of refinement before the final game.

This looks outstanding so far. Can't wait to hear it with the sound effects implemented. Those are the things that really draw me in. I could almost hear an unsheathing sound in my head when the boss pulls the blade for a quick attack, or the thud when you jump and hit the ground.

Jobbs

Banned
Is 9K in a week feasible?

Yes. I can't say anythign with certainty, but based on my experience with KS and watching many projects go through the whole process, I'd say this has a high chance of funding.

If you're within a certain range of the finish line with 1 or 2 days left, you tend to get sucked across the finish line. Things almost always pick way up in the final day or two.

SerTapTap

Hope this makes it, I would think it will, but probably not many stretch goals.

Wii U and no PS4 option? Always a bit weird to see that. Especially if the wii U port would be as cheap as their goals indicate.

Is 9K in a week feasible?

Last 48 hours are always a big funding rush, often similar to the first day rush. Email reminders are sent to everyone who favorited but didn't pledge to the product, plus the devs always go into marketing overdrive for the last day or two, and people trying to get in on a new stretch goal/etc.

Don't judge kickstarters on a $-per-day thing, look at 'em on Kicktraq and see what their first couple days are, assume the last couple days are similar, and judge the pacing of the "middle"as it's own thing. Those are the three "parts" of a campaign's life generally.

AriEX2

Thanks for the optimism all! The team absolutely think we can get it over the line and hopefully high enough to achieve a bunch of the stretch goals!

I really want to implement Hornet as a playable character!

To get Hollow Knight out there through the final week we've even prepped a brand new trailer:

Hollow Knight Trailer - A Weird and Wonderful World.
Check it out here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iS-v4NMQkBg

still_zps5ba7b769.jpg

And please tweet it, share it, facebook it, tumble it, if you're able. It's got a giant snail! Who doesn't want to see that!

More to come soon ;)

Gsnap

Well I've seen enough to know the game looks good. And now that there's a wii u stretch goal I'll definitely donate. Looks good guys. Keep up the good work!

killatopak

Gold Member
Put that thing on a Vita and I will support your Kickstarter.

Otherwise, I'll probably just buy it on the Wii U once it releases.

AriEX2

Watching the latest video (looking very good!) I noticed something odd, are there no sloped surfaces anywhere in the game world?

Haha! Just read this. Great pick up jimboton! We've avoided sloped surfaces for the most part (though we use them on a few special occasions). It was initially a stylistic choice for the gameplay, though there's an ongoing discussion about whether to re-introduce them. They can make the game world look more real, but they also introduce some randomness in combat and movement.

With the flat surfaces you get really consistent control of your character. But it's all still up in the air at any rate!

AriEX2

The animation is amazing AriEX2! A Vita scratch goal would be a pretty good incentive. Are you guys developing it with Unity?

We're prototyping in Stencyl (really fast for simple stuff like this!), but we're looking at taking it over to Unity if the campaign is successful.

The main reason I'm pushing for Unity: I want to play it on my Vita as well! I'm such a huge Vita fan and Sony were super nice and receptive to the game.

We're discussing the stretch goal at the moment. We definitely want to add one, its just a case of budget and what we can achieve. We're only 3 people after all!

We're prototyping in Stencyl (really fast for simple stuff like this!), but we're looking at taking it over to Unity if the campaign is successful.

The main reason I'm pushing for Unity: I want to play it on my Vita as well! I'm such a huge Vita fan and Sony were super nice and receptive to the game.

We're discussing the stretch goal at the moment. We definitely want to add one, its just a case of budget and what we can achieve. We're only 3 people after all!

Well you have a pretty good concept here and your animations are gorgeous! Vita is definitely a good place for indie games but getting the base goal funded is definitely a higher priority, really hope you guys get to make it :D

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Wait... am I missing something or do you have to start from the beginning of the game every time you die? If so, then not enough nopes.

Gazoinks

Glad to see this being repped. Discovered it myself a couple of days ago and instantly backed it. The art and animation are incredible, and I love a good Metroidvania.

AriEX2

Wait... am I missing something or do you have to start from the beginning of the game every time you die? If so, then not enough nopes.

haha! that sounds intense. don't worry, this isn't spelunky. there are benches in rest areas all about the kingdom. you can chill there to checkpoint or save. there's also a fast travel system that starts to unlock as you progress.

jimboton

Haha! Just read this. Great pick up jimboton! We've avoided sloped surfaces for the most part (though we use them on a few special occasions). It was initially a stylistic choice for the gameplay, though there's an ongoing discussion about whether to re-introduce them. They can make the game world look more real, but they also introduce some randomness in combat and movement.

With the flat surfaces you get really consistent control of your character. But it's all still up in the air at any rate!

Well it's a testament to your artistic and level design skills that this isn't more immediately apparent, still, I think if the gameworld were 100% comprised of flat surfaces it would feel a bit more artificial and less varied than otherwise. I cannot think right now of any metroidvania (or even platformer) from the 16 bit era onwards that was made with that limitation outside of Bubble Blobble style single screen arcade stuff. Personally, I would include variously sloped grounds and platforms but keep the more combat or precision platforming heavy areas mostly flat. Just a suggestion though, I'm sure you know best. This game is going to rock either way ;)

Top Bottom