• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Homeland - Season 5 - Sundays on Showtime

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omzz

like I said...if quinn dies fuck this show

I thought miraculously as the light came in his eyes would open

NYR

Quinn is not dead until they show it, why kill the most popular character off-screen. Show is signed up for 2 more years, no reason to be ambiguous, he is alive.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Blah. What a dud.

Nobody cares about Jonas ending things with Carrie for what felt like the fifth time this season. Nobody cares about Otto being a weirdo. Nobody cares about Carrie pretending to pray. Nobody cares about Carrie once again pondering whether her constant and deliberate choices may have negative consequences on those around here. Executing Allison was possibly the least interesting and satisfying ending to all that nonsense.

Good thing Homeland managed to include a useless scene that showed the Russians are involved in underage sex trafficking. Gotta hammer home their purely evil nature.

kirblar

Solid finale. Good on the writers for having the guts to kill Quinn.

It seemed like it came out of nowhere, but maybe there were signs that he was into her/thought that highly of her and just no one picked up on them?
He was trying to break up Carrie/Jonas earlier in the season.

jtb

Banned
god, just when I thought I was out... this show does pull me back in

Really enjoyed that finale. It was annoying they threw out twelve episodes of build up with their dumb terrorist plot but I hated that awful shit anyways.

Saw Otto coming a mile away. Frankly, it was obvious by like the second episode and it was so obvious I second-guessed myself.

Wozzly

special needs, sexual needs
I really thought Düring wanted Jonas to break up with Carrie so he could have him all to himself.

Oh well :/

I thought there'd be more payoff. The threat was over just like that? I liked that short hair Russian lady. She seems badass. Season 6 should follow her as she takes on Carrie.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
He was trying to break up Carrie/Jonas earlier in the season.

At the time I thought he was just fed up with Carrie and was trying to help Jonas out by helping him get rid of her, but it's clear now that he was just trying to eliminate his competition.

It was pretty weird that the Russians didn't trade Allison back to the CIA for their Berlin chief, or just kill her off. "Sure, we may traffic in underage prostitutes and actively help a terrorist attack, but we honor our deals!"

NYR

It was pretty weird that the Russians didn't trade Allison back to the CIA for their Berlin chief, or just kill her off. "Sure, we may traffic in underage prostitutes, but we honor our deals!"

That would be admitting a conspiracy. Right now, it is held between two people, allison and the russian chief.

DrBo42

One of the most pointless seasons of TV I've watched in a long time. I have no excitement for what comes next, at all.

Future

Enjoyable, but too many coincidences in the plot. Randomly spotting the guy on the escalator. Following him only to get spotted instantly... But thank god he's good cuz Carrie is insta killed otherwise. Also he's the guy who saved Quinn so some just before death coincidental closure there.

Allison closure wasn't satisfying. You wanted to see her out in the open and caught and forced to deal with it. Instead literally destroyed. Not even sure why, since they were outgunned and probably would have surrendered. I mean fuck the Russian drivers were criminals too, maybe they could have gotten some information. I guess the point was to show Saul rage but audience I think wanted more

I do like the Carrie realization that everything she touches turns to shit. Because she always makes choices for the greater good and sacrifices or endangers anyone to do it. She did it with her boyfriend and Quinn, and even herself (and by proxy her daughter, potentially leaving her without a mother) when storming the train station. Her refusing Saul was actually a great moment for her as it showed desire to escape the madness that brings violence into her life. Pretty much a jack Bauer storyline but I like it

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Good thing Homeland managed to include a useless scene that showed the Russians are involved in underage sex trafficking. Gotta hammer home their purely evil nature.
Yeah that was really gratuitous, seemed to just be there to make the Russians seem eeeevil.

I really thought Düring wanted Jonas to break up with Carrie so he could have him all to himself.

Oh well :/
I guess that for once, the show was too subtle, because I didn't see that coming at all.
Edit: what Future said below makes sense. I guess I just assumed it was Otto being shady rather than being into Carrie...

I liked that short hair Russian lady. She seems badass.
I dunno, she seemed a bit too cartoonishly evil to me. Doesn't care about letting a terror attack happen (in fact, insists on it), doesn't care about human trafficking, looks grim and nasty, etc. Meh.

Pretty much a jack Bauer storyline but I like it
They rip off a lot of plotlines from 24 lately. Even the "revive the comatose patient to get intel even if it might kill him because the bomb is ticking!" scenario.

Future

The during thing was foreshadowed when he said he was going to fire Carrie to the boyfriend since she's crazy (while helping her secretly), and when Carrie asked during if the bf stopped by and he lied and said no

lololol seriously can't they just have a good ending episode like EVER..............

The train station plot was terrible ending and the quin situation man just this show CAN be so amazing but most of the time its terrrrrible.............. :(

The continuity in the tunnel was all over the place. Carrie's gun was in her left hand, then right, then left, then right, then left. It was all over the place. I assumed they flipped the shots for some reason? Looked terrible.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I'm super skeptical that Carrie would put Quinn down. Obviously they have more seasons ahead so they didn't want to write themselves into a corner. But the finale would have had such an impact if she had actually gone through with it, in front of the viewer.

Season 4 had a odd finale too. Seems like they want to do the more actioney episodes for the penultimate, and then finish with quiet character moments and tie up loose ends.

Taking the entire season as a whole, I enjoyed it. The big mystery/conspiracy was not as interesting as the amount of focus it got, but the change of setting and dealing with new agencies was nice. Felt like bit of a transition season. Carrie is now on good terms with the CIA again, as well as Saul, and Quinn and her might actually become something if he ever wakes up.

Only thing I was truly disappointed with is not getting a more powerful resolution to the Saul and Allison storyline. Him having her killed like that was probably to show he was cold to her since he knew he got played, and committed to his job. But it would have be fantastic to get one last interaction between those two.

Still enjoying the show. Some slight missteps along the way, but solid entertainment. Looking forward to Season 6.

Fliesen

the season was great, imho.

the finale was meh. I'm not a big fan of "all of a sudden EVERYONE WANTS CARRIE but she wants the guy who can't deal with her shit"

it's like a soap opera ending

Did not enjoy the finale or most of the season at all. how things turn out on all fronts... very disappointing, specially the Allison plotline.

Zaph

The real shame about Homeland is when it has occasional glimmers of the smart espionage show it could have been, like the brief conversation between Saul and Ivan where they share a mutual respect. Would have liked to have seen Allison captured for similar reasons, but it makes sense the CIA wouldn't want to risk having such an embarrassment around, even if she was behind bars.

Lame cop-out with the light shining on Quinn and Carrie. You could almost see the writers shrugging and leaving the decision to S6 writers.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
So bad.

btw I wanted them to capture Alison alive. Fuck. But I think they did this to save CIA from the damage it would have caused if real story got out.

Well that was a wonderful 45 minutes of Carrie moping around and not much happening sandwiched between an interesting opening and closing 5 minutes. Not gonna deny that I skipped forward through most of it. At least Alison got her comeuppance and even then it wasn't satisfying in the least. The fucking religious shit with Carrie!! So bad. I actually laughed at the final shot. I thought they might have the balls to go through with killing Quinn given what happened at the end of season 3 but nope, religous intervention. Can't believe they ruined a great character like Quinn with this terrible plot.

What a fucking awful season. I think this is gonna suffer the same affliction as Dexter in that it had a great first 4 seasons and just pure muck after that.

I'm still not sure if I'm in or out for season 6 considering how bad this season was. If they can pull off another season 4 then I might have to check it out if the opinions are positive.

stn

Yeah, that was a really irrelevant season in general. Watched it just because but it had sooooo many holes.

Ovid

I'm sorry to say it but I have to agree some of you guys. This show has gone downhill.

Seasons 1 and 2 were based on reality (except Nazir being in the U.S. that was ridiculous), now this nonsense is based on fiction. Seriously, rewatch them and compare it to where we are now. It's sad.

I know Carrie has issues but damn, she literally cries every time she's on screen. She even cries when talking to terrorists, I mean come on. Can they just show her being a strong woman without being emotional ALL THE DAMN TIME.

- The Quinn storyline is a comedy at this point. Possible devine intervention...in Homeland? Seriously, what is going on here?
-Allowing Allison back in the field after being caught. Dumb.
-Allison having a major panic attack in the bathroom when was on the verge of getting outed. Then two episodes later she's clear headed, making decisions on the fly with the Russian agent and killing people. What?
-No guards posted at the hospital when Allison is getting treated. Stupid.
-People jumping out of windows in unguarded rooms. Seriously?

Vert boil

Terrible end to another terrible season. One of these days you guys will come around and realise season 4 was just as bad as this one was.

"Come on. You wouldn't do that."
laugh1xerp9.gif

Really great finale. Showtime was 2 for 2 tonight.
homelandc5qcb.gif

KarmaCow

Are they planning on making it pseudo-anthology series from now on? We're essentially in the same spot as last season's finale.

Undefined

I thought it was pretty good. Like im not exactly expecting elite top quality TV from Homeland but still pretty solid.

That girl in the chapel looked kinda like Dana. Was that intended?

Ishan

Yeah no win situation with Quinn miraculous recovery would be very anti homeland .so were dealing with super rich Carrie wife of Otto next year ? Btw I'm assuming everyone else saw that coming too ? Only think I don't like about homeland now it used to surprise me like with Saul and the USB and how he got it thru now it's all very telegraphed guess I didn't see seasons 4s aayans kill .season 5 was either random coincidence shocks or completely telegraphed stuff

zugzug

Whelp after last nights finalee we cancelled our Hbo/Cinemax/Showtime package. On top of another package negociation we now save $40 per month.

Charter TV, 3 DVR Harddrives, Charter Internet 60 down 5up, now for $139 I think a month.
we still get NBC sports channel to keep getting the Barclays Futbol. Wait till April to buy HBO Go I supose for a couple months now.

I think Quinn is great as much as the next person but he is dead.

The Doctor didn't say that he might have brain damage, he said he did have brain damage but they don't know how much until he comes around if he does at all.

He is a career spy and the only life he has ever known, the whole scene with Dar Adal and the letter pretty much sealed his fate.

There is no way he would cope being disabled and figured he would go out doing the thing he loved. Carrie knows this which is why she blocked the door and put the sensor on her finger before she smothers him.

If he survives the show is done.

Social

I think Quinn is great as much as the next person but he is dead.

The Doctor didn't say that he might have brain damage, he said he did have brain damage but they don't know how much until he comes around if he does at all.

He is a career spy and the only life he has ever known, the whole scene with Dar Adal and the letter pretty much sealed his fate.

There is no way he would cope being disabled and figured he would go out doing the thing he loved. Carrie knows this which is why she blocked the door and put the sensor on her finger before she smothers him.

If he survives the show is done.

I guess we have another Walking Dead "is he dead or not" situation on our hands.

Whatever.

I'm not watching season six.

Glad Allison is dead and Laura got punked, though.

Hahaha, I forgot they juked the shit out of Laura. They ain't doing shit to Gabe and she fell for it, hook line and sink'er!

Quinn's dead. They are not going to revive him after his whole speech about surviving so long and how he has finally faced death. Unless they are literally fighting God next season lol

kurahador

Urghh...yeah, I'm done with this show.

This season and the last has such a weird progression, only to end it on a whimper.

Fuck, I'm out.

Final episode wasn't bad. Pretty much everything happened as expected - except I didn't expect Allison to actually make it to the border. I would have thought that the Russians would just kill her in the safe house. Its hard to imagine that Saul would just shoot up the car without talking to Alison to get closure.

I didn't interpret the ray of light at Quin's death bed as a miraculous recovery, I interpreted it as a sign of peace and comfort before death.

Things tied up a lot neater than I expected though, compared to the season 4 finale.

Squalor

Things tied up a lot neater than I expected though, compared to the season 4 finale.
Season 5 alternate ending: Saul opens the trunk and finds Dar Adal in the back because he's working with terrorists, again.

Anyway, good riddance, Homeland.

You had an all-time great first season and a really great second season.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
And..
Did we ever get a goddamn explanation of why Saul and Carrie had that falling out?

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
And..
Did we ever get a goddamn explanation of why Saul and Carrie had that falling out?
Nothing more than Carrie at some point lobbied against Saul getting named permanent director of the CIA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom