• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Homeland - Season 5 - Sundays on Showtime

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saty

'Terror plot' lol. It's like half season in the writers remembered they needed something big to happen in Berlin itself so they started to scribble some draft for an attack subplot starting with Quinn stumbling on it and next thing you know, it's on film. Utter nonsense topped off with the 'good terrorist' saving the day again. Always that one softy in a group.

Allison's resolution sucked. And wouldn't straight-up murdering 3 Russians agents start a WW3 between the nations?

Anyhow, worst TV season ever for a show that's supposed to hold stock has ended. Dex S8 gives it a fierce battle, and SOA has something to say if you consider it in the conversation, but really, Homeland S5 was garbage from start to finish, from A to Z, from top to bottom. Premise made no sense, Espionage depicted laughably, top agents made to act like rookies, Carrie is the one and only and everything revolves around her, horrendous Allison arc.

Imm0rt4l

'Terror plot' lol. It's like half season in the writers remembered they needed something big to happen in Berlin itself so they started to scribble some draft for an attack subplot starting with Quinn stumbling on it and next thing you know, it's on film. Utter nonsense topped off with the 'good terrorist' saving the day again. Always that one softy in a group.

Allison's resolution sucked. And wouldn't straight-up murdering 3 Russians agents start a WW3 between the nations?

Anyhow, worst TV season ever for a show that's supposed to hold stock has ended. Dex S8 gives it a fierce battle, and SOA has something to say if you consider it in the conversation, but really, Homeland S5 was garbage from start to finish, from A to Z, from top to bottom. Premise made no sense, Espionage depicted laughably, top agents made to act like rookies, Carrie is the one and only and everything revolves around her, horrendous Allison arc.
This season was wack. But it's NOWHERE near Dexter season 8 bad.

Squalor

And..
Did we ever get a goddamn explanation of why Saul and Carrie had that falling out?
Nothing more than Carrie at some point lobbied against Saul getting named permanent director of the CIA.
Yes, we did. That's pretty much it.

In the timeline, it happened after the season-four finale, so Carrie knew Saul was then in and okay with Dar Adal's plan to go along with Haqqani.

She was pissed. After that, Saul was given the opportunity to be the head of the CIA. It was never made clear that Carrie necessary lobbied against Saul, but she certainly didn't support him. Saul blames her for not getting the position.
Yeah, that guy is kidding himself.

Turin

Banned
Dexter Season 8 occupies a special place in TV show history that no other season of television has come close to. Not S2 of True Detective. Not this season of Homeland. Not even True Blood.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Damn, should I be glad I stopped at Dexter S7? S7 was terrible so while I wanted to see the conclusion I kind of didn't bother with S8 yet (I've also been largely unspoiled)... Should I just read a spoiler summary or what? xD

cbox

Dexter Season 8 occupies a special place in TV show history that no other season of television has come close to. Not S2 of True Detective. Not this season of Homeland. Not even True Blood.

Oh man I forgot about true detective s2, what a train wreck.

I dont even care if therell be a new season. I'm out for good. The season where brody dies shouldve been my last but its hard to know when to stop. Like I shouldve stopped dexter after the lithgowe season but theres just no way to know. :/ At least I have been able to warn my dad about when to stop with these shows.

jtb

Banned
And..
Did we ever get a goddamn explanation of why Saul and Carrie had that falling out?

Nothing more than Carrie at some point lobbied against Saul getting named permanent director of the CIA.

Dar Adal's deal with Haqqani. Saul was for it, partially to protect himself, and went back to the CIA to make things right. Carrie was against it, quit the CIA instead. it's too bad this season was too afraid of serialization to ever explicitly reference any of the events of the previous season though.

Found the finale disappointing but overall I enjoyed the season. In terms of periods for the show, I'd actually put them in this order...

Season 1 to 2.5 AKA everything leading up to and including the interrogation episode
Seasons 4 & 5
Season 2.5 to 3

The show has certainly not hit anywhere near the peaks of it's early episodes but it's been much worse in the past, whatever problems this season had it doesn't even begin to compare to the worst Dana storylines.

BkMogul

Interesting finale. If I remember with the Season 4 finale, most of the major stuff got wrapped up in the 1st half of the episode and the rest was tying up loose ends. Wondering if she'll become Otto's trophy wife or go back into the life (Saul was practically begging her. Quite the 180). Quinn needs to be dead...like DEAD dead. He served his purpose, but you have to think it'll eat at Saul and Carrie since they jolted him out of that coma only to get....nothing.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
up to episode 5. Loving it so far, German setting is refreshing, intriguing subplots, Brody is a distant memory, I still don't understand wtf role Dar Adal has at the CIA, Saul is the man, Carrie is loony as ever, Quinn is cold blooded as heck but still can't take him seriously because he looks like Pam's boyfriend Lee in The Office

good shit, Homeland is back on track

ps the Turkish hacker has the weirdest body shape ever

Turin

Banned
Damn, should I be glad I stopped at Dexter S7? S7 was terrible so while I wanted to see the conclusion I kind of didn't bother with S8 yet (I've also been largely unspoiled)... Should I just read a spoiler summary or what? xD

Since you made it that far, I'd say watch it just to see the train wreck with your own eyes. It's really something special.

KarmaCow

Since you made it that far, I'd say watch it just to see the train wreck with your own eyes. It's really something special.

It's really not worth it. The best parts are in gif form and the rest is just interminable with how bland and dumb it gets.

Saty

I don't want to defend Dex S8 but i will say that Dexter had a greater height to fall from compared to Homeland; Dex S8 did a huge disservice for the 2nd most important character than Homeland can't really do because we all got fed up with Carrie and co. 2 seasons ago and because Dexter's S8 was the last one of a very-serialized show so it had to fight 8 years of expectations of how to bring the show to a close, compared with Homeland now that is basically self-contained seasons - there are no anticipated plot points to look forward and i'm not sure there is a vision of what 'the ultimate' season of Homeland looks like.

If we ignore baggage from previous seasons, then yes, i think Homeland S5 is handsomely in the running to be one of the worst seasons i've seen. I'll probably agree Dex S8 is worse because of said baggage, but S5 of Homeland really does make a case for itself. I didn't care to do a roundup but i got the impression that enough TV critics/sites were favorable to this season of Homeland, which is simply perplexing.

jtb

Banned
honestly, I liked Dexter. but even the worst season of Homeland (2 or 5) is still better than any Dexter season, even at its very best.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Thought the finale was ok. The Allison resolution was pretty bad. Season overall started off better than it ended.

Didn't see this posted: ‘Homeland’ Season 5 Finale: An Intelligence Expert Weighs In

The subtitle for the season 8 thread was changed to "Don't bother watching the finale. Just smoke crack and go to bed." So...take that how you will :p

KarmaCow

Unknown at this point.

It would be ridiculous that if Carrie didn't end his life. I know, we didn't actually see it so by TV rules anything is possible but at the very least he has severe brain damage. The Quinn from previous seasons is not coming back.

jey_16

Banned
i thought it was a solid season but the finale was weak, feels like this show is becoming a variation of 24? Also, the ending for Allison was weak! I wanted a confrontation with Saul

Renegade Yeti

Neo Member
I though the final scene with Quinn was reasonably well handled up until the fucking God rays, I ended up bursting out laughing ,

This season was a mess from start to finish , the terrorist plot was tacked on and we are in the exact same place we were at the start of the season, minus the only likeable character in the entire series

stn

The only redeeming factor of this season was the location. Everything else was bad.

-Carrie was obnoxious.
-Quinn's story started good but ended horribly (his confession at the end was well done but everything leading up to his death sucked)
-Everyone getting easily played by Allison
-No final confrontation between Saul and Allison
-Story starts off well but becomes yet another Western World v. Muslims plot
-Cliche villain has change of heart and saves the day

It was just... bad. I also wish they would have emphasized Quinn's first story more. Let us see him hunt down more targets, let us get more action. For a show that's compared to 24, it doesn't have nearly as much raw action.

C4Lukins

I cannot recall another show that started out strong, went to shit, and rebounded like Homeland has. I mean we had episodes devoted to that daughter in past seasons. Or just general dull family conflict.

The last two seasons have been great, really good and smart. I cannot recall another show that turned it around after fucking up so.

It has also been amazingly relevant to current affairs. This past season feels like each episode was made within the week that current events occurred. But it was done months ahead of time.

Valonquar

At this point the story has gotten so retarded, I half expect the next season to start with Brody's fuckin daughter joining the CIA.

At this point the story has gotten so retarded, I half expect the next season to start with Brody's fuckin daughter joining the CIA.

You type that like it would be a bad thing, when in fact it would be the greatest single thing to ever happen on television.

Future

The only redeeming factor of this season was the location. Everything else was bad.

-Carrie was obnoxious.
-Quinn's story started good but ended horribly (his confession at the end was well done but everything leading up to his death sucked)
-Everyone getting easily played by Allison
-No final confrontation between Saul and Allison
-Story starts off well but becomes yet another Western World v. Muslims plot
-Cliche villain has change of heart and saves the day

It was just... bad. I also wish they would have emphasized Quinn's first story more. Let us see him hunt down more targets, let us get more action. For a show that's compared to 24, it doesn't have nearly as much raw action.

The cliche villain helping save the day is also a typical trope when middle eastern terrorists are involved. It's like the shows are trying to ease stereotype backlash by painting the culture evil, so they try extra hard to show "not all Muslims". When in reality I wish they could just make the villains fucking villains and not bother with that. Make them not Muslim if they are worried

Further, the villains collapsing on themselves also weakens the Heros success. If that dude didn't save Quinn temporarily with the injection, or decide not to kill Carrie when she tried to sneak up on them, the villains would have won cuz our Heros mostly sucked.

Tagg9

I'm a big champion of Homeland, and I feel like the first four seasons were hugely entertaining and (despite some low points) were consistently good week in and week out. However, Season 5 was a cold mess and had pacing and writing right out of one of 24's worst seasons.

I'm hoping next season will be the last, and they just go all out and kill what's left of the main cast. Saul? Killed by a suicide bomber. Dar Adal? He joins ISIS and is ironically killed by a US drone attack he signed off on. Carrie? Shoots herself in the head after going off her meds. Quin? The lone survivor, albeit with permanent brain damage.

refreshZ

I cannot recall another show that started out strong, went to shit, and rebounded like Homeland has. I mean we had episodes devoted to that daughter in past seasons. Or just general dull family conflict.

The last two seasons have been great, really good and smart. I cannot recall another show that turned it around after fucking up so.

It has also been amazingly relevant to current affairs. This past season feels like each episode was made within the week that current events occurred. But it was done months ahead of time.

Eurgh, this is half the problem right here. The first few season concentrated on Brody, Carrie and the incredibly unusual situation of a US citizen turned whilst being a minor celebrity, a secret muslim, a long lost family man etc. It was purposefully focussed on the family and their situation and therefore far more compelling for it.

Now what you have is super agent Carrie solving the world's terrorist threats using nothing more than a lack of bipolar meds, several tonnes of good luck, the cliche bad guy terrorist who sees the light etc. Its derivative drivel and only a hair short of being 24 Mach II. Relevant to current affairs? Don't make me laugh. Cut & paste ISIS for Al'Qaida - job done. The fact they picked Europe as a setting was a pure coincidence given what has happened recently.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
‘Homeland’ To Be Set In New York In Season 6

After setting Season 4 in Pakistan and Season 5 in Germany, the upcoming sixth season will be shot in and around New York, Showtime’s David Nevins said at TCA. “It will be set domestically, primarily in the New York area,” he said.

Nevins declined to comment whether Peter Quinn, whose life was hanging in the balance in the final seconds of the Season 5 finale, is dead.

Levine offered some hope that the fan favorite character may be back. “Quinn is very damaged, no question about that,” Levine said. “If he should live, he won’t be in the shape and form he was.”

NeoGiff

Carrie really is the best agent in the world, isn't she? Even God intervenes on her behalf to save her friends from death.

Ovid

Carrie is sort of the equivalent to the Seattle Seahawks. Both are really, really lucky.

Yes, I'm still pissed that Walsh choked!
Carrie is a super agent, I think that was the purpose of showing how she acts on and off of her meds.

She can literally connect the dots better than anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom