• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Forbidden West Complete Edition PC specifications revealed

yamaci17

Lol, its comical with that VRAM scaling. But Alex didn't compare any GPU to PS5 because it's impossible to do fairly.
i wish he did with 3060 12 gb (and interpolate it to ps5 from there)

sadly it is impossible to find a 3060 benchmark with ps5 equivalent settings. i wish i had that GPU. i think of trading my 3070 for one from time to time just to shut these stupid discussions down. then alan wake 2 comes down and i can play with path tracing while being able to hit 30 fps at sensible resolutions and get reminded how great of a GPU it is over something like PS5 and keep on

Senua

Avatar looks very comparable to Crysis 3 2013.

dumb bad robot GIF

This looks better.. don't click if you don't want spoilers though.

Nah nah, hes right about Avatar, ill give him that. I saw the tech vids of it, it's pretty crazy. Massive always did insane visuals, Division 1 and 2 are still one of the best looking games out there.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member

This looks better.. don't click if you don't want spoilers though.

Armored Core has giant boss fights Soulzbourne. It doesn't mean shit. As soon as I clicked on that video and saw the detail of that environment and the lighting it immediately lost to Avatar.

GymWolf

Nah nah, hes right about Avatar, ill give him that. I saw the tech vids of it, it's pretty crazy. Massive always did insane visuals, Division 1 and 2 are still one of the best looking games out there.
Maybe it's because i played div2 on ps4 but i swear it was one of the most unimpressive ubisoft game i ever played recently.

The pc version must be like another game entirely...

Last edited:
It's a PS4 game at its heart which means it should scale with all types of builds and maybe some legacy(like PS4) PC parts.
PC is good at brute forcing such games.

With "fake resolution and FPS"
It might.

I recommend putting him on ignore as he's a rampant troll.

Plus it's got industry’s fastest data streaming I/O.
Which they always leave out and don't understand.
ah I see I started interacting with him end of last year but I thought he was just passionate and maybe got a bit heated at times which we all do Im neurodivergent so its a bit hard to detect trolls

Is there any good comparison of PS5 vs. GPUs in RA?

In GFX mode it's entirely GPU limited, it drops even to 1080p and below 30 fps. Performance runs above 30 in those areas so it's not gpu limit.
PS5 has constant drs in every mode, no? With that I don't think it can be directly compared to pc GPUs.

That's why DF didn't do any comparison, they only do it with games they can match settings.
it has constant drs in the performance modes not really quality though (its why it can do 40fps+ with the same settings as the 30 mode)

That's almost every game on PS5? FW and ZD both use checkerboard rendering. FF XVI uses FSR and the list goes on.

Checkerboard is even faker than DLSS since you know, it's worse.
he might be referring to quality modes on ps5 which are native.

King Dazzar

Tell Guerilla that no one is impressed with baked lighting anymore. Especially in areas that need to be indirectly lit.
Well, I'm someone and I'm still impressed, 2 years after its release. For any issues PC players may have with HFW, I dont think visuals will be one of them. Having it run at native 4k 60fps+ on a high end rig, with the great HDR should be excellent. I expect most complaints will be around the open world stuff. I loved it, but some will feel fatigued by it, I'm sure. Only thing I'd recommend, is using a dualsense, wired if need be on PC, as the haptics and adaptive triggers were really cool too.

Last edited:
It's not an exact comparison. The DRS on PS5 is more aggressive than on PC. Nixxes told Alex that on PS5, the DRS has certain levels it immediately drops to when it cannot maintain the target frame rate. For instance, if the target frame rate is 60fps and it's at 1440p but drops to 57fps, it'll immediately lower to the next level which might be 1080p. On PC, it's more granular and will always attempt to maintain the highest resolution even if the target frame rate isn't met.

DRS on PS5 functions differently than it does on PC. DRS on PS5 works from a list of pre configured resolutions to choose from with limits on the top and bottom res with course adjustments (aka 1440p down to 1296p). PC DRS is freefloating and fine-grain. If you turn on IGTI with DRS set to 60, it will max your GPU essentially at the highest and most fine grain res possible.

F21z-uqWQAAY3H3

The resolution on the PC side is clearly higher.
he did an extra bench where he let the PC run at the ps5s lowest drs value constantly to ensure no unfair comparisons it only improved performance by 12% on average when he did that (which in this case is 1080p) also that image doesn't look higher res the ps5 has a hardware limitation when outputting 4k 120 that makes it resort to chroma subsampling aka 4:2:2 instead of the 4:4:4 RGB

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
Well, I'm someone and I'm still impressed, 2 years after its release. For any issues PC players may have with HFW, I dont think visuals will be one of them. Having it run at native 4k 60fps+ on a high end rig, with the great HDR should be excellent. I expect most complaints will be around the open world stuff. I loved it, but some will feel fatigued by it, I'm sure. Only thing I'd recommend, is using a dualsense, wired if need be on PC, as the haptics and adaptive triggers were really cool too.

It's a good looking game. I'm talking shit to emphasize it's inferiority to Avatar, since the debate was Best Looking Game Of 2023.

i think you quoted the wrong person (i personally dont take Nxgamer videos seriously as he knows that VRAM causes extreme performance bottlenecks on 8 GB cards and actively abuses this fact to proclaim ps5 is punching above its weight, resulting in uninformed users to claim ps5 is now approaching to 3080, apparently). of course he won't do the same comparisons with a 16 gb 4060ti or 12 gb 3060 (cheaper version) because that would defeat the whole purpose then (his claims)
I don't think he owns a 4060ti though you are right I am unsure why he didn't also get the 3060 so I looked up some benchmarks for that card

these are maxed out ultra settings on top of maxed out ray traced settings that also includes ray traced shadows and ambient occlusion that are not present on PS5.... and even then those options are also maxed out (not high, but very high is used)

of course it will drop below 50. if you used ps5 equivalent ray traced settings, that 16 gb 4060ti will easily push upwards of 70 FPS easily.

there are no direct 4060ti 16 gb vs ps5 at ps5 equivalent performance mode settings comparisons. if you find one where ps5 punches above 4060ti, please send me. (spoiler alert, you can't because I searched a lot and most people crank to ultra for testing).

4060ti 16 gb can literally render native 1440p 45-50 fps with ray traced reflections + shadows + ambient occlusion + maxed out raster settings. that alone should prove you that 4060ti is punching way above PS5. ps5 at those settings would probably cumble to <30 FPS due to lack of proper ray tracing performance on their GPU.
I'm actually having a major issue finding 4060ti benches with high settings (I'm even going to allow just high textures instead of very high for comparisons) literally all the benches I've seen only test very high settings I can find 3060 benches though at high settings and I'll even allow a CPU 50% better than the ps5 one for the bench

Yeah, and this game is weird because at least a few weeks after release, AF hit VRAM really hard. Usually, AF 16x on PC is basically free but in this game, it tanked the performance of cards with less than 12GB of VRAM. Even the 2080 Ti could struggle with Very High Textures+16x AF. The recommendation was to reduce the AF to 8x or textures to High. I can't recall the last time when anyone with a card released in the past decade had to forego AF.

It also thrashed the PCIe bus and if I remember, even 3.0 16x sometimes got bottlenecked and you needed 4.0 16x which is insane. Not sure if this was fixed either.

On Beyond3D, you had guys benchmarking the game and the 2080 Ti outperformed the 3080, very likely due to VRAM limitations on the part of the 3080.
I personally don't trust the guys at beyond3d considering how emotional they get and how much they attack others when they did the benches was it with ray tracing or without?

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Game will probably run really well on Deck since it supports FSR and XeSS. For R&C RA on Deck I use XeSS and I think it looks better than FSR 2 at low resolution.

It's great they include DLSS 3 and FG on PC. R&C really rips and looks great with those enabled.
there are no direct 4060ti 16 gb vs ps5 at ps5 equivalent performance mode settings comparisons. if you find one where ps5 punches above 4060ti, please send me. (spoiler alert, you can't because I searched a lot and most people crank to ultra for testing).
I have a 4060 Ti 16GB :messenger_grinning_sweat: Mostly for non-gaming reasons. I wanted 16GB VRAM, Ada, and Nvidia so my only options at the time were 4060 Ti 16GB or 4080. My card absolutely shreds R&C RA.

i wish he did with 3060 12 gb (and interpolate it to ps5 from there)

sadly it is impossible to find a 3060 benchmark with ps5 equivalent settings. i wish i had that GPU. i think of trading my 3070 for one from time to time just to shut these stupid discussions down. then alan wake 2 comes down and i can play with path tracing while being able to hit 30 fps at sensible resolutions and get reminded how great of a GPU it is over something like PS5 and keep on
alan wake 2 is a game that runs quite a bit better on series x makes more sense to compare that with your gpus

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
I mean I'm gonna mock frame generation on the ps5 and pro as well but dlss is awesome. really hope frame gen isn't forced on pro but a toggle

We all just gotta start saying the true resolutions before upscaling. For instance Horizon FW runs a less than 1440p on PS5 at 60fps.

1440p > 50% of 1800p

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I disagree with the notion that DLSS and FG are negative. DLSS generally improves image quality and performance with minimal downside. As for DLSS FG, it's also a positive thing if done at high enough frame rates. The main reasons for high frame rates are lower input latency and visual smoothness. DLSS 3 FG helps with visual smoothness. This is especially relevant vs a system without DLSS+FG.

yamaci17

I disagree with the notion that DLSS and FG are negative. DLSS generally improves image quality and performance with minimal downside. As for DLSS FG, it's also a positive thing if done at high enough frame rates. The main reasons for high frame rates are lower input latency and visual smoothness. DLSS 3 FG helps with visual smoothness. This is especially relevant vs a system without DLSS+FG.
dlss quality at 4k is usually a net win over average taa
it is only a tie or somewhat worse than native 4k if the native taa is super competent and developers really gave their all for it (which is rare, but happens)

if the game has garbage TAA, even 1080p dlss quality becomes a win or at worst tie

but of course some of it is due to competition being poor (fsr and native taa being really poor)

1440p is a mixed bag. some games are brilliant, some games horrible. 1080p/1440p really relies on LODs being adjusted properly for upscaling, a problem that still happens with some new DLSS titles

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I mean I'm gonna mock frame generation on the ps5 and pro as well but dlss is awesome. really hope frame gen isn't forced on pro but a toggle

Have you used frame generation? All of these technologies are a good thing. Especially when it allows for some solid performance at settings that would otherwise be unattainable.

Topher

Gold Member
game of thrones agree GIF

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
dlss quality at 4k is usually a net win over average taa
it is only a tie or somewhat worse than native 4k if the native taa is super competent and developers really gave their all for it (which is rare, but happens)

if the game has garbage TAA, even 1080p dlss quality becomes a win or at worst tie

but of course some of it is due to competition being poor (fsr and native taa being really poor)

1440p is a mixed bag. some games are brilliant, some games horrible. 1080p/1440p really relies on LODs being adjusted properly for upscaling, a problem that still happens with some new DLSS titles

Yeah, and that's 1080p so it's a challenge since it starts with such a low resolution. Even so, a 36% uplift in frame rate along with a 32% boost to 1% lows while generally being as good or better looking is nothing to sneeze at. That takes you from an average of 45fps to 60fps at the same settings.

I can only speak for myself, but generally I'm chasing lower input latency and smoother visuals over peak image quality. No matter how good, let's say, 4K30fps might look in screenshots, it looks and feels like shit to me in motion. I'd take the option of going with something like DLSS Quality/Balanced and DLSS3 FG + Reflex over choppy looking and unresponsive "higher image quality" any day.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

Tell Guerilla that no one is impressed with baked lighting anymore. Especially in areas that need to be indirectly lit.

if studios like Bethesda, Turn10, and Respawn can add realtime GI to their games, im sure GG can and will do as well. Only problem is that the idiots decided to make a last gen game in 2022 and will be irrelevant until the end of the gen while other lesser studios like Ninja Theory, Remedy, Massive, and random chinese studios get all the glory for the remainder of the gen.

Death Stranding 2 does seem to have some form of realtime GI according to DF. Not sure if its RT or software based like Starfield and Forza 8.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
if studios like Bethesda, Turn10, and Respawn can add realtime GI to their games, im sure GG can and will do as well. Only problem is that the idiots decided to make a last gen game in 2022 and will be irrelevant until the end of the gen while other lesser studios like Ninja Theory, Remedy, Massive, and random chinese studios get all the glory for the remainder of the gen.

Death Stranding 2 does seem to have some form of realtime GI according to DF. Not sure if its RT or software based like Starfield and Forza 8.

Remedy and Ubisoft's in house engines are right there with UE5. That next Star Wars game from Ubisoft is going to be a looker.

Top Bottom