• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Forbidden West Complete Edition PC specifications revealed

I believe it uses some form of reconstruction to get to 1800p or something. It looks good, but the pixel count is probably way below native 1440.
Sure but reconstruction has always a cost. You can't compare directly to native cost. Besides the end result is pretty good on PS5 and it really passes for 1440p ish there

Slimboy Fat

Looks like I could play at 4k60. Shame I hated the first game and have no interest in this. I think Sony may be surprised with how poorly this sells as the first was a sales success mainly on the back of the 'hmm a Sony game on PC, let's see what the fuss is about'.
I also get the feeling this won't do too well. Steam competition is brutal

Lokaum D+

Your in the minority with that opinion. Its a decent game at least. Combat, graphics, music and sound etc.

I think Witcher 3 is trash combat wise but its not a trash game
The problema for me is that i dont like the story, Alloy is insufferable, one of the worst MC in vídeo game imo and the world map feels dead and empty, the game is gorgeous but that is It

I agree that Witcher combat is horrific, but everything else is miles above HZD and FW.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

The problema for me is that i dont like the story, Alloy is insufferable, one of the worst MC in vídeo game imo and the world map feels dead and empty, the game is gorgeous but that is It

I agree that Witcher combat is horrific, but everything else is miles above HZD and FW.
The story is average in the first game, but not terrible. the lore/backstory was pretty decent. The characters very forgettable. And yes the world map looks good and the enemies were cool but nothing memorable and no interaction with the NPC’s and world.

Id say the combat, graphics and music was great in Horizon. The Witcher does everything else better. But the combat just put me off so much

Have you used frame generation? All of these technologies are a good thing. Especially when it allows for some solid performance at settings that would otherwise be unattainable.
I've tested it on a friend's PC with a 4070 I really dont like it especially with the games I play like fighting games.

GymWolf

The story is average in the first game, but not terrible. the lore/backstory was pretty decent. The characters very forgettable. And yes the world map looks good and the enemies were cool but nothing memorable and no interaction with the NPC’s and world.

Id say the combat, graphics and music was great in Horizon. The Witcher does everything else better. But the combat just put me off so much
Story and lore were great in the first title, maybe not the present day stuff, but the whole mistery behind zero dawn was excellent and how they tie up every little details of what is a pretty complicated story.

The fact that a lot of people loved the first horizon but are cold for the second one where the plot is the only thing inferior speak volume about how important was the story for the enjoyment of the first game, people only think about the combat and flash dinobots but it's far from true.

First game had a better mistery plot than any other first party from sony imo.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Story and lore were great in the first title, maybe not the present day stuff, but the whole mistery behind zero dawn was excellent and how they tie up every little details.

The fact that a lot of people loved the first horizon but are cold for the second one where the plot is the only thing inferior speak volume about how important was the story for the enjoyment of the first game, people only think about the combat and flash dinobots but it's far from true.

I enjoyed the main story in both, but disliked the side mission stories in the second. That's becoming a running theme for me and Sony games this gen. Gameplay was fantastic though.

Yeah, and I kind of think they revealed too much in the second game. Hopefully there are is more to it than just the battle with the big bad guy.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
mods in samurai showdown. I also tested it in a ratchet and clank didn't like it there I feel like it only really looks good at like 144hz+
Mod can be somehow not good like native frame gen.

That's what I mean. The PS5 for $400 can do Dynamic 4k/60. Show me a PC that can do even remotely that for $1k.
PS5 doesn't do dynamic 4k/60 in this game and gaming is not only about performance.

Last edited:

GymWolf

I enjoyed the main story in both, but disliked the side mission stories in the second. That's becoming a running theme for me and Sony games this gen. Gameplay was fantastic though.

Yeah, and I kind of think they revealed too much in the second game. Hopefully there are is more to it than just the battle with the big bad guy.
I though sidequest were much better in the second one, but the 2 new tribes were not super interesting.

The story was good to decent until the third rushed arc, but still inferior to the first game plot.

The new villain reveal was also kinda retarded.

I actually loved that they explained every single doubt i had about the first game plot in the second game, i know people hate long and verbose interactions but hearing all the scifi details of everything was great for me, i really enjoyed the chat with gaia when she explain every single small detail.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Story and lore were great in the first title, maybe not the present day stuff, but the whole mistery behind zero dawn was excellent and how they tie up every little details of what is a pretty complicated story.

100% this. The first game's characters and plot werent that memorable, it was the amazing worldbuilding and the whole Ted Faro/Elizabeth Soebeck backstory that made it so damn engrossing. I watched every single hologram with Gaia and Elizabeth and the new humans Gaia trained and sent to the world, and honestly, it made a huge impact on why i loved the game so much.

The thing is I liked the story and plot here up until the very end when it turns into a 1v1 fight between two jilter lovers. It's more action focused rather than mystery oriented and thats ok. But making Aloy into an unlikeable, angry, and aloof protagonist like Abby and Ellie was a massive turnoff. These Sony devs dont realize just how important it is to have a charismatic and likeable protagonist. the way she treats Varl and Errand in this game is simply disrespectful to these characters and fans of these guys. All because they retconned her to be gay to do a love story with Trinity.

GymWolf

100% this. The first game's characters and plot werent that memorable, it was the amazing worldbuilding and the whole Ted Faro/Elizabeth Soebeck backstory that made it so damn engrossing. I watched every single hologram with Gaia and Elizabeth and the new humans Gaia trained and sent to the world, and honestly, it made a huge impact on why i loved the game so much.

The thing is I liked the story and plot here up until the very end when it turns into a 1v1 fight between two jilter lovers. It's more action focused rather than mystery oriented and thats ok. But making Aloy into an unlikeable, angry, and aloof protagonist like Abby and Ellie was a massive turnoff. These Sony devs dont realize just how important it is to have a charismatic and likeable protagonist. the way she treats Varl and Errand in this game is simply disrespectful to these characters and fans of these guys. All because they retconned her to be gay to do a love story with Trinity.
I would say that she was already angry and kinda unlikeable in the first game aswell, but if there is one videogame protagonist that has ancexcuse for all of that, is the poor aloy.

People just writing her off as bitchy without understanding all the circumstances around her was pretty moronic.

Yes, she can be a brash bitch, she is also the only one who can do specific things so she has the whole weight of the planet on her shoulders, none of the other "likeable" sony protagonists comes remotely close to her situation, she is not gonna say stupid ass jokes like nate and it would be absurd if she was just an easy going chick.

Not every protagonist must be a marvel character with quips and shit.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

I would say that she was already angry and kinda unlikeable in the first game aswell, but if there is one videogame protagonist that has ancexcuse for all of that, is the poor aloy.

People just writing her off as bitchy without understanding all the circumstances around her was pretty moronic.

Yes, she can be a brash bitch, she is also the only one who can do specific things so she has the whole weight of the planet on her shoulders, none of the other "likeable" sony protagonists comes remotely close to her situation, she is not gonna say stupid ass jokes like nate and it would be absurd if she was just an easy going chick.

Not every protagonist must be a marvel character with quips and shit.
Yeah, but like you said she had a reason to be angry because she was outcast by the same cunts her entire life.

But her arc in the first game was basically meeting guys like Errand, Val and learning about herself through Elizabeth. With her memories acting as a mentor. She grew through out that first game, learned to lean on others and then she throws all that away at the start of the second game and treats everyone around her like crap. Why? Especially after defeating hades for good.

And she was very sassy in the first but never came off as bitchy or unlikeable. The people she was sassy towards were asshole priests, douchebag villagers who treated her as an outcast and that pervert king who she shut down in a very hilarious way. Here, shes a bitch to people who are trying to be nice to her. Thats inexcusable and unlikeable.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I've tested it on a friend's PC with a 4070 I really dont like it especially with the games I play like fighting games.

A fighting game would be a poor choice to show it off with considering a 4070 could nail strong performance without it.

Something along the lines of Cyberpunk would be a better example, where path tracing is on. Something that the GPU normally wouldn’t be able to handle at decent performance.

Although there’s probably not many really good examples where it’s truly needed.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Yeah, but like you said she had a reason to be angry because she was outcast by the same cunts her entire life.

But her arc in the first game was basically meeting guys like Errand, Val and learning about herself through Elizabeth. With her memories acting as a mentor. She grew through out that first game, learned to lean on others and then she throws all that away at the start of the second game and treats everyone around her like crap. Why? Especially after defeating hades for good.

And she was very sassy in the first but never came off as bitchy or unlikeable. The people she was sassy towards were asshole priests, douchebag villagers who treated her as an outcast and that pervert king who she shut down in a very hilarious way. Here, shes a bitch to people who are trying to be nice to her. Thats inexcusable and unlikeable.
She still have the weight of the world in her shoulders and she has to deal ith moronic religious people or people who care more about their petty problems over the end of the world.

You would be mad aswell dude, no way you can keep a funny attitude when you have to face not only way more powerfull enemies than you, but alzo your fucking people going against you.

Deacon in days gone was way, WAY more bitchy and rude than aloy and he didn't had 1/100 of the problems, and people loved him, it smells like double standard to me.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

You would be mad aswell dude,
Thats true but no one is making a movie or a game about me. We watch movies about heroes that are larger than life and better than the average man.

I dont want her cracking jokes. Just being nice and compassionate towards her friends is not that much to ask. The way she treats her clone is also pretty shit.

deacon started out angry just like Aloy in the first game, but grew into a very likeable character by the end.

GymWolf

Thats true but no one is making a movie or a game about me. We watch movies about heroes that are larger than life and better than the average man.

I dont want her cracking jokes. Just being nice and compassionate towards her friends is not that much to ask. The way she treats her clone is also pretty shit.

deacon started out angry just like Aloy in the first game, but grew into a very likeable character by the end.
She is nice and compassionate with many allies, let's not act like she is an harpy all the time because it's just not true.

Deacon start becoming likeable (i liked him since the beginning like i like aloy) 4\5 inside the game when you have the mission with sarah in her ex-lab and the next one when she want to find a cure instead of killing the infects and he does that speach, until then he is still way more rude and bitchy than aloy, i played that damn game 3 times already, i know deacon like my balls.

And his situation get progressively better in the story the more you play, he find his wife and he find a place that can call home, even the situation with boozer get better, but with aloy? things gets worse all the time, discovering the space villains, varl dying, sylens being the usual reserved cunt, finding your clone that is super scared and pessimistic, their situations are very different dude, for every thing that goes right for her, 2 things get worse and in the finale she discover that she has to face an even worse menace, not exactly an optimistic end...

Last edited:

sncvsrtoip

First game has better story but terrible narration and npc, second tough story not that good much better narration and npc are more "livly". I am in group that struggled to finish first one and realy enjoy second.

Last edited:

GymWolf

First game has better story but terrible narration and npc, second tough story not that good much better narration and npc are more "livly". I am in group that struggled to finish first one and realy enjoy second.
I can get behind that.

I would not call the narration in the first one terrible tho, the digital acting was stiff af tho.

Last edited:

iHaunter

Mod can be somehow not good like native frame gen.

PS5 doesn't do dynamic 4k/60 in this game and gaming is not only about performance.
You missed my point entirely.

big brother pop GIF by Big Brother After Dark

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Really silly dropping this right after DD2 (which has snuck into the Top 10 on STEAM two weeks outside of release), but I'll definitely be grabbing it at some point. This is another chunky SONY open-world (more so than the first; like this is a proper open world, well and lived in) that I only managed to get to the end of "Act 1" where you get your heroes orders because the combat in this one is just so much better than the first.

Do not play on ULTRA HARD though as a first playthrough. I suffered through that until the end of "Act 1" and legit just restarted the game because it was an utter fucking slog (and not at all fun; certain combat encounters just aren't even possible on this difficulty, but the worst part is that game mechanics just don't "work" at that difficulty and with the options you've got).

. . .either way, definitely a Fall 2024 game to play in wildly glorious 4K/60 (who am I kidding, I'll settle for 4K/40 with every bell and whistle turned on like I did on the PS5).

Skifi28

Do not play on ULTRA HARD though as a first playthrough. I suffered through that until the end of "Act 1" and legit just restarted the game because it was an utter fucking slog (and not at all fun; certain combat encounters just aren't even possible on this difficulty, but the worst part is that game mechanics just don't "work" at that difficulty and with the options you've got).
Yeah, this is more of an NG+ difficulty. I feel like the people that immediately start a game at its highest difficulty called "ulta hard don't try you dead" have a few screws loose.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Wait till July-august
Then it's not confirmed even if the specs you refer to end up being correct. If someone wants to play the best version by the time it comes to PC, then the OC version will be there one... And even later since of doesn't need permission from devs to have a remaster

Then it's not confirmed even if the specs you refer to end up being correct. If someone wants to play the best version by the time it comes to PC, then the OC version will be there one... And even later since of doesn't need permission from devs to have a remaster
I just said objectively it won’t be worth it unless you have those 2 gpus

hlm666

Around 4 million now, but day one is going to be crippled by Dragons Dogma 2. I'm sure it will do fine in the long run through.
This is a bonehead move, release an old game at full price days from a new game in a genre the pc audience seem to eat up. They need to start looking for release dates without competition, only demon souls and bloodborne will be able to make people look past an actual brand new release.

Kataploom

Gold Member
I just said objectively it won’t be worth it unless you have those 2 gpus
If you really think the sole reason someone plays on PC is power then I get why you think so, but you can't be further from the truth pal, also even at equivalent GPU than consoles, PCs don't have the same bottleneck (CPU, which low end tend to be better than console's) and have technology the console versions don't have like different upscalers and frame generation that would be great for Sony games since they already mask their high latencies under "smooth animations".

Also: Controllers options, more fine grained settings, playing with Xbox controller (symmetric sticks suck for many,) and a large list of etc.

Top Bottom