• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn - E3 Screenshots

wapplew

It must be very hard to animate those robot, they can't rely on motion capture right? All the small pieces moving individually, like insane detail movement.
This game have everything, graphic, animation, setting, combat, design all well done, if the writing and quest are on point, it will be something.

Turin

Banned
Aloy's one of the cooler designed characters I've seen in recent years. I'm shocked it's an issue.

Edit:

But then again......

Reminds me of that famous thread where a guy said he was too manly of a man to ever play as a female, and those who do have serious issues about their sexuality. Hell if I can find it now though...

I guess I shouldn't be that surprised.

It must be very hard to animate those robot, they can't rely on motion capture right? All the small pieces moving individually, like insane detail movement.
This game have everything, graphic, animation, setting, combat, design all well done, if the writing and quest are on point, it will be something.

Well, they have been working on it since Killzone 3, this game will have been in development for 6 years by the time it comes out. Plenty of time to animate those robos.

VanWinkle

Absolutely beautiful. The only thing I am left worrying about is the writing and voice acting. I'm not sold on those at all. Aloy's voice is pretty good, but the rest has been pretty stiff, and the writing is...well...less than ideal. We'll see.

Oh, and get those characters feeling less static in the conversation sequences. Felt like a big step down from Witcher 3 in that regard.

Reminds me of that famous thread where a guy said he was too manly of a man to ever play as a female, and those who do have serious issues about their sexuality. Hell if I can find it now though...

Hahaha, I was recalling that, too. I wondered if it may have been the same person.

antitrop

It stands out to me how clean looking she is in all of the shots. She looks like she just took a shower 5 minutes before every screenshot was taken.

After Uncharted 4, I do expect details like that to be important in games that are considered graphical showpieces, but it's not even a current-gen thing. Tomb Raider 2013 took great strides towards showing the detail of Lara's adventures in the dirt.

VanWinkle

It stands out to me how clean looking she is in all of the shots. She looks like she just took a shower 5 minutes before every screenshot was taken.

After Uncharted 4, I do expect details like that to be important in games that are considered graphical showpieces, but it's not even a current-gen thing. Tomb Raider 2013 took great strides towards showing the detail of Lara's adventures in the dirt.

Yeah, that's a good point, too.

Apathy

Just have to motion capture any like 6 year old that got told to pretend to be a t-rex

wapplew

Absolutely beautiful. The only thing I am left worrying about is the writing and voice acting. I'm not sold on those at all. Aloy's voice is pretty good, but the rest has been pretty stiff, and the writing is...well...less than ideal. We'll see.

Oh, and get those characters feeling less static in the conversation sequences. Felt like a big step down from Witcher 3 in that regard.

Hahaha, I was recalling that, too. I wondered if it may have been the same person.

Ya, writing and acting are the two area left to a perfection. Please be good.

Chaos17

Good point, I didn't think about it.
I would like also to see her now dirtied and scratched.

Frumix

Suffering From Success

And took it to almost fetishistic levels.
I dunno.

TtwBpak.jpg

i don't know? seems like she has manly features, and the hairstyle is just ugly to me, also not a huge a fan as playing as a female so maybe i'm biased. i can look past it if the game is great.

200.gif

Falchion

Looks amazing all the time. I keep thinking the piece of tech in her ear that produces the HUD is a Bluetooth earpiece.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

With as big and open and good looking as the gameplay is its not something I'll miss that much. Would be cool if they add it in but if not, I think I"ll be fine without it.

JP

Crazy, the best looking openworld game so far? I love the the amoutn of vegitation in the nvironemnt and it's really impresive that there's so destroy so much of what's there.

TtwBpak.jpg

i don't know? seems like she has manly features, and the hairstyle is just ugly to me, also not a huge a fan as playing as a female so maybe i'm biased. i can look past it if the game is great.

She's fucking stunning to me.

I couldn't have made a better looking character, tbh.

Alo0oy

Banned
TtwBpak.jpg

That's how normal women look, you do know that, don't you?

I rather like how Aloy looks overall. It's rather distinctive with the blues yet fitting with the rest of her tribe.

My only issue is that her face is a little too flat and isn't really chiseled enough considering her ruggedness. Though, that probably is a necessary sacrifice for it to run on the PS4.

Shredderi

Good point. I hope they can add something like that in at least to the PS4 Neo version.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
TtwBpak.jpg

We're in complete agreement here. Definitely not a fan of the face or hair.

Garlador

I remember once thinking, at the time, that maybe one day, some day, we could get video games as good looking as FFVIII's FMVs. That was the peak. The end game. The goal.

If I could time travel back twenty years and show this game to my 10 year old self...

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
Guerrilla Games' games always look magical. This is even more amazing than most games considering it's open world.

-d0hv

Tosyn_88

Does anyone else get a monster hunter vibe from this game?? I really hope they go for that kind of direction, where every battle feels like a proper work.

I remember all those battles I used to have with Tigrex and Nargacuga

Toparaman

Banned
Wow this game has great aesthetics. Still not sold on the gameplay or the story, but we'll see.

TtwBpak.jpg

I can get not liking the hair (kinda reminds me of the Battlefield Earth movie tbh), but really dude, you don't like playing females? That's just weird.

JCreasy

I recognize that I may be alone in this, but I would almost rather play as this character in Horizon.

kzshadowfall_actors_jamiegrayhyder_echo_02.jpg

I was always captivated by Echo's design. Aloy is cool, but I'm not fully sold on what I see. I get a strong Native American vibe, which is great, but it seems blandly executed, if that makes sense. Almost likes she's playing dress-up. Her clothing looks more like a costume on her, and not something she lives and survives in. Her face belongs in a Pixar/Disney movie.

Should she be a bit more "dirty"? Battle hardened? Worldly?

I dunno. It's hard to articulate. These are more gut feelings.

T.O.P

Banned
The "monsters" design is just sublime

I'm kinda weirded out that this is Guerrilla Games we are talking about :p

Turin

Banned
I recognize that I may be alone in this, but I would almost rather play as this character in Horizon.

I was always captivated by Echo's design. Aloy is cool, but I'm not fully sold on what I see. I get a strong Native American vibe, which is great, but it seems blandly executed, if that makes sense. Almost likes she's playing dress-up. Her clothing look more like a costume on her, and not something she lives and survives in. Her face belongs in a Pixar/Disney movie.

Should she be a bit more "dirty"? Battle hardened? Worldly?

I dunno. It's hard to articulate. These are more gut feelings.

I don't think they're going for the most realistic vibe with this game in it's overall look.

Chaos17

Crazy, the best looking openworld game so far? I love the the amoutn of vegitation in the nvironemnt and it's really impresive that there's so destroy so much of what's there.

Dunmo, Witcher 3 had some pretty amazing screenshots too.

Loudninja

Awesome!

While the developer was picking up a piece of armor, I noticed an option for the player to “create a job.” Wondering if it was merely a piece of placeholder text, I asked the developer what that did. As it turns out, it’s going to be super useful!

How many times have you wanted to buy a new piece of equipment and been short one random piece of crafting material? It’s annoying, especially if you’re not sure where to track down what you need. In Horizon Zero Dawn, the “create a job” option will generate a quest to give you the items to buy the equipment.

Every game needs to copy this idea ASAP.
http://kotaku.com/horizon-zero-dawn...m_source=Kotaku_Twitter&utm_medium=Socialflow

boiled goose

good with gravy
I really like the premise and concept and of course it is a nice looking game.

Something about the design looks off to me... It looks a bit generic fantasy with robots thrown in.

I think of other robots in nature settings like in HL2 and it just blends so much better.

Top Bottom