• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horror Game Leak - Alpha build screen shots and art. Maybe Sony game (not Bend)?

Scorn? Interesting title to an interesting game. Hope this Ebb team will have something to show in the near-ish future, but in no real rush.

Liberty4all

Banned
Have a full article being written up, but will post some about it here first as you guys helped me figure this all out.

Firstly, the game's name is indeed Scorn, as some of you guys put together from the email title (which I missed, which I can't help but chuckle at as its one of the oldest tricks in the book).

It is being developed primarily for PC, PS4 is highly considered though.

The game is being made by a newly formed studio known as Ebb software. They currently have 7 full-time studio members on-board, and created a demo pitch for studios with a total of 12 people, and got assistance from a number of freelance artists they have connections with. However, after pitching their demo and idea to several studios, they got the same response every time ; The game’s too weird for mainstream appeal, it’s single-player focused, and lacks hooks for the best way to monetize the project.

To directly quote the email exchange;

They emailed the screenshots to me specifically because of my love for the genre, which I've shown through my posts here on GAF, my YouTube channel, and my work on Rely on Horror, apparently.

Game is being made with Unity 4, but they plan to move to Unity 5. They sent me this as sort of 'proof'.

editor.jpg

They've apologized for some trickery, and have agree'd to answer any questions I have and agree'd to an interview. Because you guys helped me, I'll ask questions to them you guys have as well.

I may have been involuntarily involved in some viral marketing campaign, but I don't mind too much. The project does strike as interesting to me, and I hope they can find someone who will publish them. Apparently this went better than they expected, though.

The reason they aren't going with Kickstarter, and to quote;

There's a bit more to this, but typing out the full article as we speak.

well this thread certainly got our attention.

edit: can you pm me your contact at the studio?

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member

Wow! It would be crazy to see something actually happen because of this. I hope the studio can end up making it work. The concept art does look amazing. It's been crazy watching this unfold. Now we know a little more about the project and the studio I hope they can feel comfortable being a little more public. Really hope this becomes a game I can play one day.

m360

Welp. It was surprising how he got the studio name down! For all we know maybe there was talks of Sony getting exclusivity of the game, maybe even the guy he spoke with is an insider. I find it oddly suspicious that the "protagonist" is wearing Sony's VR headset in the concept art, as many other posters have indicated.There are a multitude of possibilities as to what may have happened. All we can do now is wait for Gamescom!
Or Bish can just kill the poor soul.

Well maybe it depends on the mod. Bish has a swift hammer!

It's to early to justify my source ... that was often right about unexpected announcements. All the puzzle parts seem to come together. The Game, the Artwork and - like we see: a good part of "my story" was right up to now, or not?!

I postet my infos even in good hope to get more infos out of the Gaf ... and that worked.

An yeah. It's up to bish to ban me or not. I just can tell you that he's got mail and no it's his choise ; ) But ... like i said before. I don't need to make me a name and don't post stuff that i made up out of nothing.

WITHE1982

I Love the look of this so far. I've been waiting for a game to really embrace the Giger style and haven't really seen much since Darkseed on the Amiga.

tumblr_n0vmqiLWSt1tsocymo2_r2_400.gif

Will keep a close eye on development and hope they find a publisher.

Melchiah

It is being developed primarily for PC, PS4 is highly considered though.

The game is being made by a newly formed studio known as Ebb software. They currently have 7 full-time studio members on-board, and created a demo pitch for studios with a total of 12 people, and got assistance from a number of freelance artists they have connections with. However, after pitching their demo and idea to several studios, they got the same response every time ; The game’s too weird for mainstream appeal, it’s single-player focused, and lacks hooks for the best way to monetize the project.

That definitely increased my interest for the game. Hopefully it'll come to the PS4.

Here's to hoping.

This is so intriguing. I love the art, and it looks really memorable and distinct. Hope it gets made, and I can only imagine how many changes of knickers I would need playing it on Morpheus.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Okay guys. ...i just dug a little into this. I just tell you what someone with knowledge to this topic told me.

This game is namend "Succumb Core" (working title) and is the concept of a newly founded and not officially announced studio "by some known veterans of the industry and genre". It was created with oculus rift in mind. They showed a alpha slice - the screens are from this - to some publishers. And ... like many games now ... Sony grabbed it as an exclusive for PS4 with Morpheus support. "The Games' in an early stage but Sony is considering to unveil it at this years' Games Com."
m360 has been cleared in terms of his bonafides. Carry on!

Sharpeye

Hmmm, maybe they mixed up the games? Or perhaps the one poster's information is old and the other new. This topic keeps getting more and more interesting.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Or... m360's credentials put him in a position to hear things - which are also subject to change. Contractual details switch back and forth in this industry all the time. His background check passed, but that doesn't mean it's a done deal.

StuBurns

Banned
Or... m360's credentials put him in a position to hear things - which are also subject to change. Contractual details switch back and forth in this industry all the time. His background check passed, but that doesn't mean it's a done deal.
Of course things change, but it seems like both people are posting based on very recent information, and the stories are totally different, the name is different, and the platform is different, and the publisher (and lack of) is different.

Also, a PS MVP posting an odd post. Is that post implying Sony are publishing it, and want to know who is leaking? I would think yes, but no one's going to reveal a source to Sony, so presumably not?

Seems strangely contradictory to me.

ElTopo

Banned
I hope they find a publisher or at least try Kickstarter. There has never been a true game that captures Biomechanic horror (not counting Darkseed 1 and 2 which are pretty terrible).

mekes

Screens look very interesting, personally I always have time for horror games. Not enough of them out there after the survival horror slump, but it sure is great to see things picking back up :)

ElTopo

Banned
I'm hoping it's more of a shooter rather then Outlast/Amnesia-styled horror game. Something that played like Metroid Prime would be interesting.

Arsenic13

Our dev is now in contact with Sony in some capacity. I'm wishing him luck and look forward to getting gameplay details out of him.

Top Bottom