• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How badly do we want a Zelda II sequel?

CorvoSol

The original games weren't NES games. Faxanadu is a famicom-themed spinoff of Xanadu, which itself is a sequel to Dragon Slayer. Dragon Slayer and Xanadu are much more popular than the famicom spin-off.

It's also more accurate to say Zelda II is like Xanadu, than that Fauxanadu is like Zelda II, considering Xanadu predates Zelda II. The true progression would probably be something like this:

Zelda 1 -> Maze of Galious (Konami) -> Xanadu (Falcom) -> Fauxanadu

As Xanadu is clearly inspired by Maze of Galious, which itself was essentially a side scrolling Zelda title, and Fauxanadu is a pretty logical evolution of Xanadu.

It all comes back around with Xanadu 2, which is basically a Zelda III clone.

That certainly hasn't been my experience. Also, I didn't say Faxanadu was a Zelda II clone, just that one might enjoy Faxanadu if one enjoyed Zelda II. I didn't know what system Faxanadu's predecessors were for, though.

Zekes!

I'd rather see a remake. I hated Zelda II as a kid. I never thought the difficulty was fair, it always felt to me like a product of its limitations.

Yagami_Sama

Zelda II it is my less favourite.

If they keep the 2D gameplay in full HD glory, might be interested.
Turning dream mode on, a remake from the first using the Wii U tech demo engine, would be so glorious.

Mzo

Try Wonder Boy III on SMS, Wonder Boy in Monster World on Genesis, and the recently translated Monster World IV on PS360.

All excellent side scrolling platformer/RPGs.

It sounds the same as asking for a spirit track sequel to me.

That would just be a regular Zelda game(puzzles, semi-platforming, fighting, etc.) set in "New Hyrule" with Wind Waker's art direction.
:/
I don't see what would be bad about it, but whatever.

To answer OP's question, I don't think a spiritual Zelda 2 sequel is necessary and I really wouldn't want one.
Post-ALTTP Zelda games have already adopted many of it's mechanics and design principles. The modern 3D games have done a much better job at creating memorable and more interesting enemy encounters than anything that I remember from Zelda 2.

Super_Adventure_Island_II.jpg

ignata

If a sequel to Zelda II was announced, I'd pass out from joy. I have a ton of great childhood memories tied to that game. Finishing it is still my greatest gaming accomplishment, one that even finishing Dark Souls couldn't compare to. Considering Miyamoto hates it, we'll never see anything close to it, which is terrible.

One of the many reasons I desperately want to see him out of Nintendo. Keep working on Rock'em Sock'em Robots and security guard simulators, and don't touch the games with actual potential, please. Your time has passed.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
If a sequel to Zelda II was announced, I'd pass out from joy. I have a ton of great childhood memories tied to that game. Finishing it is still my greatest gaming accomplishment, one that even finishing Dark Souls couldn't compare to. Considering Miyamoto hates it, we'll never see anything close to it, which is terrible

Miyamoto has publicly stated that several EAD members love the game, and Koizumi once was working on a FX chip sequel to Zelda 2.

I love Zelda 2 dearly, much more than the original.

Fbh

... not a big fan of the idea.
Keep the traditional formula for zelda.

If nintendo wants to make a 2D action/adventure title I'd preffer if they released a new zelda (or teemed up with Konami for a true 2D castlevania on 3DS)

ignata

Miyamoto has publicly stated that several EAD members love the game, and Koizumi once was working on a FX chip sequel to Zelda 2.

I love Zelda 2 dearly, much more than the original.

Wow, I'd love to hear more on that SFX sequel. Any details on that out there, or just something from an interview? All this does is add more to my "Miyamoto needs to retire" fire.

... not a big fan of the idea.
Keep the traditional formula for zelda.

If there was a traditional formula for Zelda, we wouldn't have Ocarina of Time
and that would be so wonderful.

Big One

Banned
I'd like to see it, but perhaps as a Zelda spinoff. Like perhaps a game where you play as Ganondorf and you explore Egyptian-style temples and shit. That'd be awesome.

I would absolutely love it, even though it will never happen. Zelda II gets way too much shit, largely due to a couple crucial design flaws.

(1) Continuing should restart you at the beginning of every palace, not just Ganon's Castle: this is just tedious, not more challenging.
(2) Falling into pits should only do a set amount of damage, not count an entire life. This isn't Mario, and the punishment is very disproportionate to the mistake made.
(3) Death Mountain was way too early in the game and skewed the difficulty curve badly.

It's a brilliant game with exhilarating combat and real tension because of the challenge and death penalties. They just skewed a couple details the wrong way.

fvng

Would kill for a sequel to Zelda 2, oh my goodness.

I would absolutely love it, even though it will never happen. Zelda II gets way too much shit, largely due to a couple crucial design flaws.

(1) Continuing should restart you at the beginning of every palace, not just Ganon's Castle: this is just tedious, not more challenging.
(2) Falling into pits should only do a set amount of damage, not count an entire life. This isn't Mario, and the punishment is very disproportionate to the mistake made.
(3) Death Mountain was way too early in the game and skewed the difficulty curve badly.

It's a brilliant game with exhilarating combat and real tension because of the challenge and death penalties. They just skewed a couple details the wrong way.

sequels typically fix the problems of its predecessor. Zelda2 had enough things going on to justify a sequel and they could improve things in the process.

The tension and then atmospheres in the palaces were terrific.

I'd rather see a remake. I hated Zelda II as a kid. I never thought the difficulty was fair, it always felt to me like a product of its limitations.

I hate to brag but I remember being 6 years old when it came out and I finished the game start to finish. There were definitely NES games that has unreasonable difficulty levels but this was not one of them.

If you're looking for some Zelda II goodness you could do worse than trying the NES classic Battle of Olympus. May just be the rose tinted glasses but I preferred it to Zelda II having played both when I was a kid

s8WSNaT.jpg

This game was amazing.

Laconic

Banned
How much do I want more Zelda 2?

A far greater infinite set than any hater's left hand path infinite set, for certain.

Zelda 2 doesnt tell you where to go, but its always easy to figure out since there are not that many options. It does a dick-move pretty early on, forcing you to go through a dark cave before you get the item that lights the cave, but there is only one enemy there, so it doesnt really matter much. I think its the third best game for the Nes (after SMB3 and Mega Man 2), and something you should definitely consider playing if you have an interest in gameplay-based games at all.

Since you mentioned SMB3 as one of the top two games for the NES, I have to trust your judgement.

OK, adding Zelda II to my ever-growing queue of stuff to play.... (it's currently at the bottom of that pretty big queue, though).

fvng

Not every game in the franchise needs a sequel. And even if they did, Zelda II would be the least deserving.

Couldn't disagree more. people need to stop treating this game like the black sheep of the series it's really not a bad game at all, in fact it's terrific.. yes there are some flaws but the good outweighs minor gripes

I would like to see a sequel take place where both overworlds from Zelda 1 and Zelda 2 accessible. I believe Zelda 2 overworld is just north of Zelda 1.

Lothar

Banned
Since you mentioned SMB3 as one of the top two games for the NES, I have to trust your judgement.

OK, adding Zelda II to my ever-growing queue of stuff to play.... (it's currently at the bottom of that pretty big queue, though).

I think you should move it to the top because it's such a short game. You could be half way through it tonight if you start it now.

The only thing to keep in mind is to explore. Don't expect to always know where to go. If you can't beat it, that's fine. That doesn't make it a bad game if you get stuck and don't know what to do next. It just means Ganon owns you.

Did you like the original Zelda?

Epcott

As much as I loved the game when it was released, I must say that I'd rather look forward to a sequel to SMB2 (Doki Doki Panic) before even thinking about one for AoL.

I would love it because Zelda II has more RPG elements and 8 towns. That feeling of building a character in a living breathing world is something the more linear 1-3 town Zelda games could stand to benefit from.

I mean, I understand the game is broken as fuck, but a sequel in that style could easily fix the largest issues with some modern tweaks.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Wow, I'd love to hear more on that SFX sequel. Any details on that out there, or just something from an interview? All this does is add more to my "Miyamoto needs to retire"

That's all that was ever mentioned unfortunately. It looks like it was just one of the billion prototypes developed at Nintendo that never went anywhere. Well, they usually get resurrected as a mini-game decades later.

A lot of weird revisionist history when it comes to Zelda II. It wasn't this unloved, black sheep of a game, and I'd wager most people who think that it was, started playing Zelda long after it went to 3D.

I recall way back in the day, in wanting a Zelda 2 style game that had more of a fighting element to it and you could play as various Zelda characters.

Jimrpg

Its the only Zelda I finished.

I tried so hard to play LTTP, but it just didn't do anything for me.

I'm not sure what they can do with a Zelda II sequel, those type of games are kinda dead.

Man, this game is so great.

Like, the combat is probably the best in the series. It's actually challenging, doesn't hold your hands, has a huge, sprawling world to explore, is non-linear, great for speedrunning, has wonderful music, and has lots of little things that later games in the series would use to great effect (check the town names in Zelda II, and oh! Hello shadow link!).

andymcc

Banned
Oh man, this thread is making me so nostalgic. Now I'm really longing for the good ol' days, when pretty much everyone in the Zelda fanbase was on the same page and agreed that Zelda II was a piece of shit best left forgotten.

when was this? my friends in the late 80s/early 90s fucking loved this game

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
A lot of weird revisionist history when it comes to Zelda II. It wasn't this unloved, black sheep of a game, and I'd wager most people who think that it was, started playing Zelda long after it went to 3D.

It's the Kid Icarus curse. Both games were loved when I was a kid. Now, decades later they are treated with disdain mainly because they never received sequels and feel discarded and alien without the SNES evolution that Zelda 3 and Super Metroid did for the Famicom dinosaur originals.

I remember going to some big electronic store several times hoping Zelda 2 came in. It kept getting delayed by a couple of weeks for some reason. It's the first game i truly loved from EAD.

Albo

It's a unique, challenging zelda that's tough to master, with little to no guidance or instructions, and a fun, rewarding plaforming combat system, so yeah, I'd like a zelda 2 inspired zelda very much.

In the meantime, I have dark souls to give me similar feelings from when playing zelda 2. I'm doubtful nintendo would be able to in this day recapture the essence of what made zelda 2 so good for me anyways.

Krejlooc

Banned
It's the Kid Icarus curse. Both games were loved when I was a kid. Now, decades later they are treated with disdain mainly because they never received sequels and feel discarded and alien without the SNES evolution that Zelda 3 and Super Metroid did for the Famicom dinosaur originals.

Bingo! These games aren't any less refined than the stuff Nintendo was putting out at the time (and in the case of Zelda II, I'd say it was one of Nintendo's best games of the era, actually).

They just didn't get iterated.

spliced

I want it more than any other type of Zelda. Zelda 2 to me is the Zelda game that the souls series takes after because of how both games focus on gameplay and mechanics as the most important part.

Top Bottom