• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How badly do we want a Zelda II sequel?

petran79

Banned
Bingo! These games aren't any less refined than the stuff Nintendo was putting out at the time (and in the case of Zelda II, I'd say it was one of Nintendo's best games of the era, actually).

They just didn't get iterated.

yeah, I remember Nintendo gaming magazines devoting a lot of pages to those games.
Kid Icarus, Zelda 2 and even Battle of Olympus and Faxanadu

Even TMNT1 was popular, despite having a lot of gameplay issues
CV2 for the NES and even CV1 on the Gameboy!

Hearing today that those games were considered bad back then was simply not true.

they were some of the best platformers actually.

I loved zelda 2, easily my favorite zelda in the series. Battle of Olympus is up there too with it's very creative final boss gimmick. Both games need to take elements from each other.

A merge between both game mechanics would be an awesome game

Glass Rebel

I'd rather have a Zelda II inspired action platformer than another 2D platformer like Kirby and Yoshi. Not that I don't enjoy them but this would be way more unique.

Kurt

If you're looking for some Zelda II goodness you could do worse than trying the NES classic Battle of Olympus. May just be the rose tinted glasses but I preferred it to Zelda II having played both when I was a kid

s8WSNaT.jpg

like to see a sequel to this game. My fav nes game

Mael

the game sold well and was received positively upon release.

Yeah seriously the games was beloved at the time.
Companies don't usually clone games that people hate hence why no one cloned shit like Home Alone and we got Battle of Olympus (which even got a sequel).
e: ah the GB Battle of olympus is a port and not a sequel?

llehuty

If you're looking for some Zelda II goodness you could do worse than trying the NES classic Battle of Olympus. May just be the rose tinted glasses but I preferred it to Zelda II having played both when I was a kid

s8WSNaT.jpg

Yesss, What a glorious game. It truly has the same vibe.

I heard one of the Adventure Time games is a Zelda 2 homage. Did it end up being any good? Only released as a eShop title here in europe and it's very exepnsive.

silenttwn

I always wanted to see Zelda 2 fleshed out by the 2D Castlevania team. Basically a IGA Castlevania but an overworld and towns.

Muffdraul

Okay I'll bite, what exactly makes Zelda 2 a bad game?

Oh ffs, I haven't played it in so many years. I just remember it being completely unlike Zelda 1, and completely, utterly and absolutely NO FUN WHATSOEVER. I remember playing it felt 100x more ponderous than doing my homework and household chores, and I was all too happy to stop playing it and never go back. I thought it sucked shit, and for many years I was under the impression that was consensus. It's only relatively recently that I've ever heard anyone say anything positive about it. Just an observation from my personal point of view, that's all. I'm not out to get an official legal injunction against anyone who dares to say it's a good game.

First Zelda I ever played as a kid. Got our NES in like 89, with SMB/Duck Hunt, Ghosts & Goblins, and.. Zelda II. So it might be nostalgia talking, but I prefer it over LoZ.

PKrockin

It's a great game and much better than Zelda 1, but I don't feel it needs a sequel since there are many games that play similarly, whereas there's not much these days that plays like 3D Zelda.

It's a great game and much better than Zelda 1, but I don't feel it needs a sequel since there are many games that play similarly, whereas there's not much these days that plays like 3D Zelda.

I hear this a lot, but which part of 3D Zelda can you not find elsewhere? And what would have to be sacrificed for a Link's Adventure 2?

Wonko_C

I haven't seen any other game like Zelda 2 that combines the overhead overworld with sidescrolling "random" encounters, and the maze-like palaces felt pretty much Zelda-ish despite not being top-view, with an item/treasure and keys to unlock doors.

The comparisons to Shovel Knight really baffle me, since that's a straight action sidescroller.

andymcc

Banned
Oh ffs, I haven't played it in so many years. I just remember it being completely unlike Zelda 1, and completely, utterly and absolutely NO FUN WHATSOEVER. I remember playing it felt 100x more ponderous than doing my homework and household chores, and I was all too happy to stop playing it and never go back.

this is some really good critical analysis right here

It's been done... and done better than Zelda II, I might add:

Wonder Boy Dragon's Curse / Trap
haBF1JM.jpg

Wonder Boy in Monster World
mBdmvVH.gif

Monster World IV
J9Z6h4f.jpg

Ys III
2u7rvea.jpg

If you haven't played Monster World IV, then go play it on virtual console or PSN or whatever. Great game.

Mak

The comparisons to Shovel Knight really baffle me, since that's a straight action sidescroller.

The original idea for Shovel Knight came from Link's downthrust move mechanic, and they created a character around this mechanic that used a shovel. The director/level designer plays Zelda 2 every week or so. The stage setup of the game is more like Mega Man in the way you go through a boss' stage and its influenced by other games. Shovel Knight can't pogo off the ground like in Ducktales and instead off an enemy or blocks like Link did in Zelda 2 (but with more of a jump because they focused on this specific mechanic). There's also the knockback from when you strike enemies, and the knights you encounter during stages with the moving shield are based on Ironknuckles. There's also the villages full of townspeople.

Games that inspired Shovel Knight
http://www.usgamer.net/articles/game-dev-recipes-shovel-knight

Adventure Time: Hey Ice King... is a fun throwback to Zelda 2 (and fun for fans of the show) but its very easy difficulty is intended for a younger audience.

Zelda 2 won the best overall video game award in Nintendo Power in 1989. Although this award is from Nintendo Power, the yearly awards were voted on by readers sending in a contest polling postcard in the magazine.

Nintendo Power volume 6 May/June1989
tumblr_mq75wsvCUl1rpku4no1_500.png

According to this Nintendo Power wiki that lists the nominations readers could vote for, Zelda 2 was voted as best Overall game over The Legend of Zelda.

http://nintendo.wikia.com/wiki/1988_Nintendo_Power_Awards#Winners_and_Nominees

It's been done... and done better than Zelda II, I might add:

Wonder Boy Dragon's Curse / Trap
haBF1JM.jpg

Wonder Boy in Monster World
mBdmvVH.gif

Monster World IV
J9Z6h4f.jpg

Ys III
2u7rvea.jpg

If you haven't played Monster World IV, then go play it on virtual console or PSN or whatever. Great game.

I haven't played these games. Do they have combat similar to Zelda II? It's one of the main things I want from a Zelda II-like. I think the combat is a reason why people compare it to Demon's/Dark souls.
The game that xir posted looks like they got the combat right; Shadowcrypt

has anyone checked out Shadow Crypt?
http://onebitpunch.itch.io/shadowcrypt

This looks pretty cool, but it's only on pc? Only 70 rooms though... that's pretty small (70 screens?).

I haven't played these games. Do they have combat similar to Zelda II? It's one of the main things I want from a Zelda II-like. I think the combat is a reason why people compare it to Demon's/Dark souls.

In MW4 you can stab up / down and use a shield, but I don't know if I'd say the combat is like Zelda II. I don't think there's anything particularly great about Zelda II's combat, it just feels random when fighting enemies who block and attack high or low... Besides, MW4 more than makes up for that with way better level / dungeon / puzzle design.

Krejlooc

Banned

Barring Ys III (which really plays like Ys I & II with an attach button in a side scrolling fashion, really) they all play much better than Zelda II. Wonderboy in monster world, for example, includes both swords and shields, and spears, which can't be used in conjunction with a shield but can be twirled to block attacks or used as a multi-hit attack itself. Wonderboy III: The Dragon's trap includes a transformation mechanic, so some characters can swing downward, some can shoot fireballs, etc.

They're basically zelda II + metroid.

What's that NES game that basically reused the Zelda 2 engine? I can't remember the name of it... but it plays very similarly. I wanted to say it had "Olympus" in the title, but it's not Battle of Olympus, and that's all that comes up in a search.

The Wonder Boy games kinda do, yeah: standard attack, ducking attack, jumping attack (though not, IIRC, downward thrust attacks, at least not for all weapons), magic. You have a shield that you can use to block attacks, too.

Wonder Boy in Monster World is one of my favorite 16-bit games of all time. Definitely check it out.

andymcc

Banned
Thanks, I know it doesn't quite measure up to the impressive robustness of "my friends liked it" and "It sold a lot."

i don't think it requires that much to debunk this revisionist history that your projecting as both universal and true when that really isn't the case.

What's that NES game that basically reused the Zelda 2 engine? I can't remember the name of it... but it plays very similarly. I wanted to say it had "Olympus" in the title, but it's not Battle of Olympus, and that's all that comes up in a search.

It's Battle of Olympus as already pointed out in this thread, unless you're thinking of Faxanadu?

(though not, IIRC, downward thrust attacks, at least not for all weapons).

You can in MW4

Muffdraul

i don't think it requires that much to debunk this revisionist history that your [sic] projecting as both universal and true when that really isn't the case.

Remember a couple posts ago when I said this was just my own personal point of view? Yeah, I actually meant that. Even though it saddens me that something so obvious even needs saying. And even then, people like you still don't get it.

andymcc

Banned
Remember a couple posts ago when I said this was just my own personal point of view? Yeah, I actually meant that. Even though it saddens me that something so obvious even needs saying. And even then, people like you still don't get it.

yes, you've elaborated on your own personal experiences but this sort of absolutism was your original point.

In MW4 you can stab up / down and use a shield, but I don't know if I'd say the combat is like Zelda II. I don't think there's anything particularly great about Zelda II's combat, it just feels random when fighting enemies who block and attack high or low... Besides, MW4 more than makes up for that with way better level / dungeon / puzzle design.

Barring Ys III (which really plays like Ys I & II with an attach button in a side scrolling fashion, really) they all play much better than Zelda II. Wonderboy in monster world, for example, includes both swords and shields, and spears, which can't be used in conjunction with a shield but can be twirled to block attacks or used as a multi-hit attack itself. Wonderboy III: The Dragon's trap includes a transformation mechanic, so some characters can swing downward, some can shoot fireballs, etc.

They're basically zelda II + metroid.

I grew up as a Nintendo kid and even though these Wonderboy games are available as virtual console games now, I kind of dismissed them based on looks. They really look like simple action sidescrollers to me.
Now knowing how they play, I will definitely to check them out (after I'm done with all the discounted Ys games I bought on Steam).

yes, you've elaborated on your own personal experiences but this sort of absolutism was your original point.

I can only speak for myself but I remember being overjoyed that Zelda 3 was returning to the overhead perspective when I saw the first screens in Nintendo Power. I think a lot of us felt that way.

I grew up as a Nintendo kid and even though these Wonderboy games are available as virtual console games now, I kind of dismissed them based on looks. They really look like simple action sidescrollers to me.
Now knowing how they play, I will definitely to check them out (after I'm done with all the discounted Ys games I bought on Steam).

If you like Zelda games in general you should also check out Beyond Oasis / Story of Thor on the Genesis virtual console. Great little action RPG you may have missed.

Muffdraul

Again... that's simply how things seemed from my point of view. I need to remember to keep pasting that disclaimer at the end of every single fucking post I make, for the sake of people like you.

Wonder Boy in Monster World is absolutely wonderful. I've yet to play Monster World IV, but WBiMW is a must play for ANY fan of classic sidescrollers IMO

Loved Zelda 2, I still go back and play it now and again. A lot of people hated on it at the time because it took real skill and hand-eye coordination to handle the fights, especially boss fights, but it made it all the more satisfying.

Hard to believe it was the first and last (?) time they've introduced real RPG mechanics.

Haven't played it, but what I've seen of Shovel Knight kind of reminds me of Zelda II.

Word to the wise - Shovel Knight is awesome but it is not Zelda II. I thought it looked a lot like it as well and I was just the tiniest bit disappointed when I bought it. It's an incredible game but it owes a lot more to Mega Man than Zelda II. The downward thrust is pretty similar but it's used as a much more platforming element than it was in Zelda, and the combat is a little more ... how to explain it... action-y?... whereas Zelda's required quick reactions but felt more strategic than strictly action.

PKrockin

I hear this a lot, but which part of 3D Zelda can you not find elsewhere? And what would have to be sacrificed for a Link's Adventure 2?
You can find plenty of 3D action adventure games, but not really ones that feature a balance of exploration, action, puzzles, storytelling, sidequests and such. Okami is the only one I can think of. Darksiders, Dark Souls, Ys, even Skyrim get compared to Zelda (ie "do Zelda better than Zelda") but they lack any real puzzle solving as far as I'm aware.

I haven't seen any other game like Zelda 2 that combines the overhead overworld with sidescrolling "random" encounters, and the maze-like palaces felt pretty much Zelda-ish despite not being top-view, with an item/treasure and keys to unlock doors.

I'm pretty much just going by the words of other posters as I haven't played those games myself.

Probably the closest in terms of overworld / sidescrolling random battles / palaces is Gargoyle's Quest 1 and 2. But the sidescrolling sections play quite differently because the main character has the ability to hover and cling to walls, and your primary attack is a projectile. But definitely worth playing. The Monster World games don't have the overworld maps, but are otherwise very similar (and, as I said on the last page, better games imo).

Top Bottom