• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How big is PlayerUnknown Battlegrounds for Xbox this Autumn?

old

No.

It's going to be HUGE!! As others have said it'll be the best selling game on Xbox.

I think it'll sell consoles to boot

Well then that's the hold up on the PlayStation release. These devs seem to only want to release their game under the "early access" classification.

ironmang

I already know several people buying an Xbox for it
Pretty big

Yep I was considering buying one instead of upgrading my PC except for the fact that most of my friends who are interested play on PC already. Still think it's going to be massive and depending on how well it's supported I may actually buy an Xbox for it.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Wonder if it will have crossplay between XBox and PC.

Preview Program?

They're bringing the "early access" bullshit to consoles? Does Sony have something similar?

Sony doesn't have anything similar.

Hopefully this early access game doesn't come to Playstation 4

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Its the biggest game on steam, so i'd say its a big deal. Hopefully they make it play anywhere for those of us that don't have it on pc yet.

(also mouse and keyboard for console, but that will be awhile before that happens. Maybe next e3.)

Gowans

Game Preview is ok, it mandates free trials.

Its already on PS4 if your Epic with Paragon and Fortnite (they aren't listed a Game Preview on Xbox).

cakely

No.

It's going to be HUGE!! As others have said it'll be the best selling game on Xbox.

I think it'll sell consoles to boot

That's completely unrealistic, even if you're just talking about the month that it launches in.

TaterTots

Banned
When it was first announced for XB I was like, "eh." I've been playing the game off and on since its release and it's blowing my mind how big its become. It's been getting more players than DOTA 2 on steam and overthrew LoL on Twitch.

It's a phenomenon and I even believe it will sell XB units. MS is smart for doing this. I would even release a bundle with a digital code for the game or something.

Belker

Staggeringly popular - assuming the Xbox version isn't a buggy mess. Even if it's a game preview version, it needs to be 'early' in terms of its functionality compared to the PC version, rather than its stability or smoothness.

It has to play well. It has to. Otherwise you'll have a game that sells an enormous amount and everyone playing it can get on Twitch or YouTube to see just how poor the console version is compared to the PC.

old

Wonder if it will have crossplay between XBox and PC.

Im no games lawyer. I don't know all of the consumer protection laws among the major markets around the world. But this "early access/preview program" smells like an attempt to use loopholes to circumvent consumer protections in lands where gamers have strong protections against bug riddled games.

I had hoped Microsoft would have forced them to "officially release" the game to bring it to the Xbox.

jacobs34

This entirely depends on how buggy/optimized they can get it on console. If it's a buggy mess then it will be popular, but not huge.

I'm honestly surprised H1Z1 isn't first to console, that game runs a lot better than PUBG, and has a lot of the front end sheen that the latter lacks.

Now imagine if a game like Red Dead 2 or the next GTA has a battle royale mode, that would take over like nothing we've seen in gaming this decade.

Crayon

Don't know fore sure if it will translate from PC to console but I bet it will. This is maybe their biggest exclusive all generation.

Navid

Feel like this is a very big get for MS, not only will it pad out their console exclusives for the end of the year if they manage to get it out but it'll also be very popular (assuming the port is well done with controller input in mind), creating a console following and a lot of social conversations online as an Xbox title going into the holiday season.

It`s the biggest console release of the year, and there`s no discussion about that.
Can't tell if this is serious or not?

If it is serious do you mind going into detail by what criteria you think it's the years biggest console release?

Can't tell if this is serious or not?

If it is serious do you mind going into detail by what criteria you think it's the years biggest console release?

So far it's outsold any other game this year, so yeah I could say it's a contender for the biggest release this year.

U2NUMB

I know many (including myself) that are holding off getting the PC version because we want to get it on the x1.

It'll be big but not PC numbers big, I can see it cracking 1 million on Xbox this holiday no problem. There is so much competition on consoles this holiday that I don't see it having as big of an impact as it would if it came out in a less crowded release window. I'm more curious how well the PC version will continue to sell into the holiday season, if it will slow down or speed up.

Duxxy3

Pretty big. I don't really understand why the game is so big, but it's obvious to everybody that the game is huge.

I highly doubt it will launch this year but when it does...it's gonna be pretty big. But it really depends on the console exclusivity duration, if it's less than 6 months...meh.

Very big.

How big though? Honestly, I'm not too sure.

As popular as PUBG has been, it's still a game that imo, has yet to truly prove itself as a zeitgeist game that has broken into mainstream awareness. And yes, I say that fully aware that it'll comfortably sell >10 mil copies on Steam alone by the end of the year.

In the same vein that games like H1Z1 and Ark are silent titans that has built up an audience >7 million on Steam alone without creeping into mainstream awareness, PUBG is the game with the biggest potential of these silent titans to break out.

I think, that by default, by the end of this year, it should outdo Ark's performance on XB1 by a factor of three, easily. 3+ million on XB1, roughly 10-15% attach rate at launch.

Whether or not it compounds beyond that, depends very much on how much MS will be supporting its push into broader gaming awareness. Also, will it get a retail release?

JaggedSac

It has sold likely around 9 million on PC by now this year. A fraction of those sales on a single console platform will make it one of the biggest releases this year.

BigEmil

It's the biggest get Xbox gotten, even if it's timed exclusive still console audience will jump in PUBG for Xbox One

Navid

So far it's outsold any other game this year, so yeah I could say it's a contender for the biggest release this year.
"Contender for the biggest release of the year..." absolutely, I have no problem with someone saying that.

But "the biggest console release of the year, and there`s no discussion about that." ...yeah, I don't know about that!

It'll be big but not PC numbers big, I can see it cracking 1 million on Xbox this holiday no problem. There is so much competition on consoles this holiday that I don't see it having as big of an impact as it would if it came out in a less crowded release window. I'm more curious how well the PC version will continue to sell into the holiday season, if it will slow down or speed up.

Ark: Survival Evolved easily cracked 1 mil on Xbox and PS4 within a few months.

PUBG should comfortably crack 2 million, at least even if it releases by mid-December. Personally I'm thinking 3 million, with the assumed mainstream marketing that MS is putting behind PUBG.

There's no doubt its going to have a large impact. Honestly considering how weak MS 1st party output has been this year it was pretty damn smart of them jumping on this deal when they did.

cakely

You guys really need to simmer down.

• PUBG has no release date.
  • PUBG is in early access.
  • PUBG has already been released on another, much larger platform.

And people here think it's going to outsell Call of Duty and all the other AAA releases this holiday? That's ludicrous.

"Contender for the biggest release of the year..." absolutely, I have no problem with someone saying that.

But "the biggest console release of the year, and there`s no discussion about that." ...yeah, I don't know about that!

Yeah COD, D2, and Battlefront 2 will all outsell it (on consoles).

But its gonna be huge no doubt

It could be massive. It really depends if the console audience takes to PUBG the same way the PC ecosystem did. It's the hottest game in the world right now, and that's going to move a significant number of units for Microsoft.

But a lot of that hinges on some unknown factors. When is it hitting? How is the port job? How does PUBG translate to a purely controller ecosystem? It's possible this version gets a bad rap and players get the message that it needs to be avoided.

I think it'll do very well, though.

jtb

Banned
I think it will do very well and be everything they wanted Titanfall to be for the platform (ancient history now).

I think it will translate very well to controllers and, frankly, be a better fit than KB+M

GodofWine

Potential to be huge. HUGE.

They should just include a code with all Scorpios and some special cosmetics. Just buy them in bulk from Bluehole and eat the cost.

And Sony would be smart to have been continuing H1Z1 development for Ps4 for a surprise release. It is good enough to keep ps4 owners at home. Sony owned the game for most of its development.

My only fear iss neither runs well on the ps4 or xb1s jaguar cpu.

leeh

You guys really need to simmer down.

• PUBG has no release date.
  • PUBG is in early access.
  • PUBG has already been released on another, much larger platform.

And people here think it's going to outsell Call of Duty and all the other AAA releases this holiday? That's ludicrous.
I don't think it is, and I think it will.

PUBG is at the forefront of what most people use to watch games, YT, Twitch..

I think it will do very well and be everything they wanted Titanfall to be for the platform (ancient history now).

I think it will translate very well to controllers and, frankly, be a better fit than KB+M
I disagree but weirdly enough a couple of my console-only buddies are suuuuper confident that first person mode on a controller is gonna be p sweet

Top Bottom