• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How big is PlayerUnknown Battlegrounds for Xbox this Autumn?

If MS is crazy enough maybe they could give the alpha away for free
edit: well perhaps not free free, but on GWG ala Rocket League's PS+ debut.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I don't think it is, and I think it will.

PUBG is at the forefront of what most people use to watch games, YT, Twitch..

Plus all the game journos on twitter and in podcasts can't shut up about it. I don't know how out of touch people have to be that are still sleeping on this game.

I've said this before, but PUBG is a paradigm shift in design that will have a reverberating effect going forward. Remember playing the COD4 beta back in 08? I can recall the feeling that what I was playing was so radically different that it was going to be huge. It was an inflection point for the genre. I feel PUBG has that same magic - and it being on only console this fall is enormous.

If f I had the money I'd buy an X just for this game. I've already watched about 50 hours of it on Twitch.
Don't think I'll get it for my One though as I assume it will run/look like garbage.

If they can get it out this fall then it’s huge. I know so many people that are excited about it but don’t have a pc (or in my case most of my coworkers have MacBooks or iMacs) to play it on that are super excited for the Xbox version.

I do think though that if they don’t get it out this year in some form the hype will die down on the console side.

PC wise this game never seems to die down. I’ve got so many hours in the pc version and so many more to come.

Also I’ll be buying the game again on Xbox to play with a different set of friends. Which is actually great because with most games I’d be totally behind on the console version since I will mostly play on pc, but it doesn’t matter in PubG.

PeterGAF

Banned
No exaggeration this might be the biggest game Xbox has gotten all gen. The game's popularity is beyond huge and being on a console is only going to help that.

Jawmuncher

I don't understand the "how will this play on a controller" challenge.

We never had TPS / FPS on console before ?

The default controller config is pretty terrible from the last time I played. Some refining and auto aim will make it just fine though. So yeah it's not a big issue. Just needs a console specific setup compared to PC which would be easily done.

Outside of Cuphead and Forza, it's all they've got to sell consoles right now and if my circle of friends are any indication, it's working. PUBG is a massive draw.

I'm more worried about the quality of the port...

HeeHo

I hope it does outsell the staple shooter franchises but personally, I'm getting tired of watching PUBG videos and I'm seeing less and less how it is unlike other shooters aside from it having a huge player count and 'battle royale'. Maybe it's just the Youtuber I'm watching. He always starts off with 'kill of the game' or 'close call' type of moment and then plays this corny ass music over it like it was the best thing ever.

I have never played it though. I guess looting opponents is a big factor and what items you get. It has a bit more involvement than the regular shooter and I think that should definitely be commended.

VeeP

lol at people thinking it will outsell CoD/BF2 on console.

Depends on the marketing and hype tbh. Word of mouth will play a big factor.

People use to laugh at COD outselling Halo, etc etc. New franchises come along that have main stream appeal. Do I expect PUBG to outsell all console versions of COD/BF2? No. Do I expect it to outsell Xbox One and PC sales of CoD/BF2? It's possible.

Dynomutt

MS is working directly with Bluehole on the port. They announced as much at GamesCom.

You are wrong. I'm always surprised by the mis information on Gaf. Just a little research would clear that up. The port is being handled by Anticito a small team in Spain.

"No, just at the moment we just don't have any bandwidth to work on any other version," said Greene. "That's why we did the publishing deal with Microsoft, because the console port for Xbox was being done by Anticto in Spain, which is basically three or four guys. They're hiring more now but now we have Microsoft's support... we just want to focus on the Xbox and Windows versions."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...e-of-playerunknowns-battlegrounds-exclusivity

Smh at the lack of effort.

oti

Banned
It's the biggest game of the year and the biggest new game for quite some time. That said, I'm not convinced it will be just as huge on consoles (relatively speaking) as it is on PC.

Speaking about how big PUBG could be for Xbox in particular, what's the measurement for success here? People buying an Xbox? I'm sure some could buy an Xbox for that "crazy Battlegrounds game" they've heard so much about. But PUBG doesn't exist in a vaccum. There's still CoD, which goes back to WWII and should interest a lot of people who've skipped the last few games. There's still crazy popular GTA Online and Destiny 2 will be in full swing.

I could totally see PUBG failing to translate its PC success on consoles. But we'll see. Would be mighty interesting to see this new game giving the established franchises a run for their money.

I think it's a giant wildcard.

Games on PC have not always translated to console. In addition, there's no guarantee that the game will play at all decently on a game which is already rough on PC, particularly on the basic Xbox One.

On the other hand, it's like the best game ever when it comes to the highs.

Dynomutt

apologies for ruining your Saturday friend.

I was a bit hyperbolic in the post nothing personal. That's on me you are all good.

Hmm, now I'm a little worried. Let's see how involved Microsoft will be !

It'll turn out fine. Much riding on this and I don't think Bluehole would ultimately let it affect the brand. MS saw the potential and seem to be putting a good support behind it.

TB12

Banned
Is this gonna be €60 / $60 game? or €30 / $30 game?

If 30 this game gonna be huge, if 60 i dunno maybe?

Hoo-doo

Banned
You are wrong. I'm always surprised by the mis information on Gaf. Just a little research would clear that up. The port is being handled by Anticito a small team in Spain.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...e-of-playerunknowns-battlegrounds-exclusivity

Smh at the lack of effort.

As was obvious for a while, the PC version is and will be their main moneymaker.
And I don't think they are going to scale up the porting team massively to rush out a barely functioning port out there because Microsoft wants it really badly this fall.

Bluehole is the one in charge here, not Microsoft. They aren't going to risk a PR fiasco.

Top Bottom