• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How big is PlayerUnknown Battlegrounds for Xbox this Autumn?

What does that have to do with what I said?
what has GT Sports to do with BUPG or an Destiny 2?

the only way i could think of that makes sense is the one where Forza 7 is the perfectly fitting reply to

A $500 XBOX console with PUBG?

NO.

And PUBG is timed?

An even bigger NO.
That does not make sense at all
even multiplatform games move consoles.

so why should a timed exclusive games not move consoles?
"only exclusives move consoles" is definitely not correct
"big games move consoles" is correct

This will be a completely different experience if everyone plays with a controller. I just can't see how the game can retain what makes it great with analog stick aiming.

w0s

This will be a completely different experience if everyone plays with a controller. I just can't see how the game can retain what makes it great with analog stick aiming.
Why is this? I'm not trying to call you out I'm actually curious. There are tons of third person shooting games.

Mediking

A $249 S PUBG bundle would literally fly off the shelves at boxing day.

It's not a Xbox thread without shit posting. :-/

You know damn well you can pick up an Xbox less than $500 and this game is huge.

But I thought the big thing for PUBG was playing it on Xbox One X... which is $500.

And rushing out to buy an S for a timed exclusive???? I... could see it happening. Maybe?

GAF says it's gonna be big, then it's not gonna a make a dent this holiday season.

Depends what you mean by "dent".

It's not a Xbox thread without shit posting. :-/

You know damn well you can pick up an Xbox less than $500 and this game is huge.
I don't think it was a shit post, just a feel good one. He completely understands what he posted. He did it to get a rise out of someone. Just move on man.

Im not into games like this, but I've heard from so many people how much they want to play. I think it will move a lot of systems.

Is it cross play?

I want to say it'll be fairly big but my only hesitation lies in the twitch viewership it became popular through and whether that'll be as much of a factor on consoles.

I could both see it being big or just not doing as much as people expect if it ends up being a situation like CS where the audience is firmly PC folks.

Why is this? I'm not trying to call you out I'm actually curious. There are tons of third person shooting games.
There are no games like this on consoles.

The combat systems would need a major overhaul. Even in third person there are three aiming methods including ADS. All of these would need significant and varying auto aim to compensate for the stick. Players would need larger health pools to accommodate these changes. Right now, you die very quickly and it feels fair because all aiming is 1:1. If they kept the health system the same, then snap on aim bots would instantly kill most players with minimal input on the opponents part. This game works because of mouse aiming.

The fuck?
TPS now an unplayable genre if using a controller?
Don't strawman. I'm talking about this game specifically. Not a genre.

Mediking

I don't think it was a shit post, just a feel good one. He completely understands what he posted. He did it to get a rise out of someone. Just move on man.

Im not into games like this, but I've heard from so many people how much they want to play. I think it will move a lot of systems.

Is it cross play?

??? I'm not shit posting. Its about Xbox One X now. S is irrelevant. One X IS 500.

packy34

"Contender for the biggest release of the year..." absolutely, I have no problem with someone saying that.

But "the biggest console release of the year, and there`s no discussion about that." ...yeah, I don't know about that!

Here's the discussion - it has sold more copies than any other game this year, and it's only available on PC right now... and it's in early access to boot. I don't know how anyone could make a legitimate argument that this isn't the biggest console release of the year.

A $500 XBOX console with PUBG?

NO.

And PUBG is timed?

An even bigger NO.

It is still a cheaper alternative than buying a $700 - $1200 dollar PC, and it will be the best home console version of the game available given the Xbox One X's higher end specs. Lots of casual gamers also prefer to play their games with a gamepad on a TV. I know it is also very easy to just plug a PC into an HDTV, and there was a recent PUBG patch that adds XInput support, but there is still an appeal to just buying the game on a console and getting it up and running with no effort.

Even Michael Pachter is excited to buy PUBG for the XBox One X. I know that is a little anecdotal, but at the same time if it is even on his radar, that says to me that there is an audience just like him who are going to buy an X just for this game at initial launch.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
But I thought the big thing for PUBG was playing it on Xbox One X... which is $500.

And rushing out to buy an S for a timed exclusive???? I... could see it happening. Maybe?

Nope literally just playing it on consoles is the drive.
Its not exactly the most graphically demanding game so the X enhancements arent going to drive a million 1X sales.

Its gonna be big and aslong as MS keeps it Mixer and Twitch integration on point i see it being in the top 10 most played on X1 for the rest of the consoles life.

Pretty big. I have a feeling people are going to be a little disappointed when they dig in though. It's fun but janky as hell, and honestly? There's not all that much to it.

It's one of the most played games in the world. I'm not seeing the disappointment much.....

Mooreberg

There are no games like this on consoles.

The combat systems would need a major overhaul. Even in third person there are three aiming methods including ADS. All of these would need significant and varying auto aim to compensate for the stick. Players would need larger health pools to accommodate these changes. Right now, you die very quickly and it feels fair because all aiming is 1:1. If they kept the health system the same, then snap on aim bots would instantly kill most players with minimal input on the opponents part. This game works because of mouse aiming.

Don't strawman. I'm talking about this game specifically. Not a genre.

People who do well with the lean aiming in R6 Siege on consoles would probably be okay with the FPP mode of this. But I don't see an analog stick matching the speed at which you can whip the camera around when you are prone in an outdoor area in the last phases of a match. But if everyone is using a controller, I guess it doesn't matter much.

At first I didn't think PUBG would be that big of a deal, but after seeing how this game is growing on the PC, I think I was wrong.

The fact that it dethroned LoL after 3 years on top in Twitch views is pretty huge. As long as the development can keep up, this game has no ceiling yet.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

Depends what you mean by "dent".

People are building PCs to play PUBG, which cost more than $500.

what has GT Sports to do with BUPG or an Destiny 2?

the only way i could think of that makes sense is the one where Forza 7 is the perfectly fitting reply to
It was a question of what was the biggest game for each company this fall. I countered Destiny 2 with GT Sport. Exclusive wise, anyway.

Mediking

Thanks for all the earlier posts. I got a better grasp of the situation.

PUBG could actually be huge depending on how Microsoft advertises it.

It'll be very interesting to see how long their exclusivity deal was. The strength of their hand is dependent on if it is timed only until 1.0 is released, or if it is timed to a calendar date (ie 6 months-to-1 year of Xbox debut).

Nope literally just playing it on consoles is the drive.
Its not exactly the most graphically demanding game so the X enhancements arent going to drive a million 1X sales.

Its gonna be big and aslong as MS keeps it Mixer and Twitch integration on point i see it being in the top 10 most played on X1 for the rest of the consoles life.

PUBG on PC is a highly unoptimized game, and it can be quite demanding in 100 player servers. I think the 1X port runs at about 30FPS with a native 4K resolution (or is it checkerboard?) in 100 player servers. The vanilla Xbox One will probably run at 30FPS at 900p. PS4 Pro will more than likely run at 30fps checker boarded 4k, but with the game being a timed Xbox One X exclusive, it could show up six months later on the PS4/ PS4 Pro.

The takeaway here is that if you want the best experience of PUBG on a 4K TV, the X1 is the way to go. But with the much cheaper S, will players care about the 4K resolution?

But I still think PUBG will be one of the top games that convinces customers to buy a 1X. It could even give a boost to S sales.

GodofWine

Couldn't disagree more. I play it on pc with kbm , it'll be fine with a controller. The games movement is totally basic shooter stuff, and they really aren't that many new commands.

oti

Banned

Nothing wrong with the game being adapted for consoles. Not like it'll take away from the tension.

packy34

Couldn't disagree more. I play it on pc with kbm , it'll be fine with a controller. The games movement is totally basic shooter stuff, and they really aren't that many new commands.

Leaning is not common with a controller, neither is changing sight-in distance. Consoles will also likely have to sacrifice the healing hotkeys in favor of a wheel, or worse, they may have to heal directly from the inventory.

People are building PCs to play PUBG, which cost more than $500.
I actually did build my current pc for PUBG. I’ve fallen in an out of love with PC gaming quite a bit but just really wanted to play it with my buddies. It’s really the only game I play on pc besides League.

So you could say I mostly paid $700 to play PUBG

Leaning is not common with a controller, neither is changing sight-in distance. Consoles will also likely have to sacrifice the healing hotkeys in favor of a wheel, or worse, they may have to heal directly from the inventory.
I see them implementing a wheel, I think that would be the best way to do it. Attaching items could just be square or x and then if you have two options then you hold it and down to select the firearm? Do the Titanfall 2 thing of holding triangle or Y to switch to sidearm

Otherwise it seems to be basic shooter controls, jump, crouch, switch weapons etc.

katsais

I think it will be big, but not that big. I mean it's already sold a ton on PC. The console crowd tends to be different than the PC crowd, so who knows. Plus, if any PC/Console player will grind PUBG, they'll grind it on PC.

I didn't pre-order my XOX because of PUBG.

Personally I'm on the fence about it. I have a 1x preordered because of PUBG, but so far none of my friends have preordered the 1x so I'll probably just cancel and wait for the PS4 version.

Believe me, I think it will be a very sizeable boon for Xbox for the period that it remains an exclusive, but, man, some of the comments in this thread are so hyperbolic.

cackhyena

No physical release will hamper it a bit

giphy.gif

Believe me, I think it will be a very sizeable boon for Xbox for the period that it remains an exclusive, but, man, some of the comments in this thread are so hyperbolic.

Are you trying to say PUBG isn't your personal lord and savior?

Mikey Jr.

Cod/Battlefield sells shit on pc but sells great on consoles.

Battlegrounds sells great on pc but/and sells
___ on consoles.

We'll see how the console market responds.

Console and pc audience are not 1:1.

watdaeff4

Considering it's only available on PC right now (which has essentially been a digital-only platform for about 10 years) and it's sold more copies than any other game this year....

I think it'll be just fine.
PC gamers are more open to digital then console gamers.

I don't think this will be the sole reason, but for the OP question I think there will be a nice attach rate on XB1; but it's not going to be "big" as in move a lot of consoles

Exactly

I'm still not convinced the game will carry over well to console. Much of the experience is designed around the precision and control that PC offers. It'll probably sell well based off word of mouth alone at first but I don't see it becoming a phenomenon there like it has on PC.

Dynomutt

Cod/Battlefield sells shit on pc but sells great on consoles.

Battlegrounds sells great on pc but/and sells
___ on consoles.

We'll see how the console market responds.

Underrated post and quite true. In the top 5 by playtime GTA V is the only IP to almost bridge that gap.

Top Bottom