• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How big is PlayerUnknown Battlegrounds for Xbox this Autumn?

ResoRai

Pretty huge. People were building pc's solely for the game. Ancedotal, but my brother in law (solely PS4 player) is getting an X1X for it. He was planning on buying the most expensive pc he could for it till I told him it was coming to the xbox one due to the preview program.
Pretty big. I have a feeling people are going to be a little disappointed when they dig in though. It's fun but janky as hell, and honestly? There's not all that much to it.
Even with jank I think it'll be fine honestly with games like PUBG being pretty new experiences for console gamers.

Par Score

PUBG is a phenomenon, but if getting the hottest new PC game 9 months late is "big" then the Xbox is in more trouble than I thought.

beastlove

Really important big for the Xbox one X. There is nothing else of any real note until next year. So it is really big for ms

I built a pc for it and fuckin loved the game. But I sold my PC to a friend and now I'm really considering jumping on an Xbone X just for this game. But I keep hearing its only a timed exclusive... so I'm torn right now.

PUBG is a phenomenon, but if getting the hottest new PC game 9 months late is "big" then the Xbox is in more trouble than I thought.

What? The game is taking over the internet. It's #1 on Twitch, it's selling gangbusters, it's the first non-Valve game to reach #1 on the Steam charts and is nearly at 1 million concurrent players. The game is absolutely massive. Any console getting it would be "big", dunno how this can be interpreted as Xbox being in trouble

Dynomutt

It's decently big for the hardcore community, but won't register with the more casual audience in my opinion.

Hmm. Interesting didn't expect that from you Collingwood. With Destiny 2, Wolfenstein II, Battlefront II, and COD WWII it will be interesting to see how it prospers indeed.

It's decently big for the hardcore community, but won't register with the more casual audience in my opinion.
I originally thought that but I have a few friends who only play Call of Duty and FIFA every year and they’ve been asking me about it lately quite a bit. And I took a session at work yesterday with a guy who literally only plays Call of Duty with his buddies and was asking me about a game where like 100 people drop in and that him and his friends were really wanting to play it and were literally thinking about building computers for it. I told him to wait for the Xbox version since they literally only play like 1-2 games.

120v

i don't think MS had any idea it'd be as big as it is so they really drew the long straw with this one

indisputably a big score but i'm unsure it'll be a breakout megahit on console as well. at least to the extent people are rushing out to buy xbones, x1xs

Similar to Ark it'll be huge as soon as it hits early access on X1 but on a much bigger scale since PUBG is way bigger right now than Ark ever was.

If MS treat it as a huge big release it should do insane numbers. I'd even get retail copies in stores just with a code in the case.

I'm not really familiar with the game but all the buzz around it make it looks like it could easily become the first killer application and system seller on the Bone.

FacelessSamurai

..but cry so much I wish I had some
Anyone downplaying this game has no idea what they are talking about. This is almost as big of a get as Minecraft was for Microsoft. This game will move consoles and it'll sell gangbusters. Anyone saying otherwise or feeling concerned is just salty honestly. There are no concerns to be had, its popularity on PC has shown how much this game is popular with the casuals and the shooter audience.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Hmm. Interesting didn't expect that from you Collingwood. With Destiny 2, Wolfenstein II, Battlefront II, and COD WWII it will be interesting to see how it prospers indeed.

It topped the steam charts. if this doesn't register, what does? It's a shoot bang game for the masses.

I originally thought that but I have a few friends who only play Call of Duty and FIFA every year and they’ve been asking me about it lately quite a bit. And I took a session at work yesterday with a guy who literally only plays Call of Duty with his buddies and was asking me about a game where like 100 people drop in and that him and his friends were really wanting to play it and were literally thinking about building computers for it. I told him to wait for the Xbox version since they literally only play like 1-2 games.

Again, just my opinion

Completely anecdotal, but I have quite a few "casual-core" gamers in my circle and barely any of them have heard of PUBG and only one is planning on buying it on Xbox.

Thing is, he didn't actually know it was even coming to Xbox until I told him.

I doubt the game will register with anyone outside the real hardcore Xbox community.

Salty Hippo

I think this might be the biggest nonsense I've read on GAF this year. Xbox is in trouble alright, but it has nothing to do with whatever it is you're implying with those air quotes. Also the game is not even officially released yet, the fully developed version will be day and date with PC.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
What's PlayerUnknown BG?
fuck that's a long title.
Edit: Oh that Socom looking game, depends really.

blakep267

Again, just my opinion

Completely anecdotal, but I have quite a few "casual-core" gamers in my circle and barely any of them have heard of PUBG and only one is planning on buying it on Xbox.

Thing is, he didn't actually know it was even coming to Xbox until I told him.

I doubt the game will register with anyone outside the real hardcore Xbox community.
I disagree. You could say the same thing about nobody knowing Ark before it hit game preview and people still latched into it and play it heavily. Or Conan exiles. Neither of those games had the kind of popularity that PUBG has or the type of coverage.

Also side note but Rainbow six siege is the most played game on the console at the moment. I think the tactical slow precision based and squad shooter is a genre that is actually doing well on the console and this game imo would appeal heavily to that base who is playing siege on the console

Bgamer90

Banned
PUBG took down League of Legends in Twitch popularity. Definitely seems that many people are interested in the game. I don't think it's going to make the Xbox top Playstation this Holiday season (NPD) but it's definitely a big deal. Don't know how anyone could say otherwise.

jeffc919

Already have it on PC and would have liked for it to come out on PS4 this year so I could play with my son, but I hope it is extremely successful on xbox even to the point that they start to take back some market share. I would like for Sony to prioritize PvP shooters more than they do (not counting writing checks to Activision for some marketing rights and timed DLC, etc.). For several years I only had a PS4 and it was a wasteland for PvP shooters, especially if you don't like COD. I played BF4 for a year then moved over to Destiny because there really wasn't much else. I missed out on Titanfall 1 until I finally picked up an xbox one years later and I think it was probably the best PvP shooter to come out this gen. If I didn't build a PC this summer I'd be missing out on PUBG for probably a year or more. Sony's the market leader so it's hard to argue with their formula for success, but I selfishly would have liked them to prioritize things differently.

Dynomutt

This is the most out of touch thing I've read all day. Congrats!

Not necessarily I think Collingwood would be one of the least out of touch. It's clear that this statement was anecdotal. With the multiple people I know who game maybe one or two have heard of PUBG and none play it.

This doesn't take away from it's success just an observation that it's saturation is solely focused on the PC gamer right now. When released on console that conversation may and will most likely change.

PUBG took down League of Legends in Twitch popularity. Definitely seems that many people are interested in the game. I don't think it's going to make the Xbox top Playstation this Holiday season (NPD) but it's definitely a big deal. Don't know how anyone could say otherwise.

Yup.

bsnakes12

Neo Member
It'll definitely do well but personally I don't think it'll be anything crazy. IMO just too many things working against it to be a huge success on console. "Early Access", no single player, has been out for 8 months already and is still coming to PS4, no levels or unlocks really unless they step up the cosmetics big time.

I've played almost every day for the last 3 or so months and love it but I just don't think it'll be some sort of huge release that moves a ton of XBox's. My PC is 4 years old and it runs perfectly fine on medium settings. You can buy a 500 dollar tower or laptop at Best Buy and you'll probably be fine. I just don't see there being a million plus people out there who have been anxiously waiting for this to finally come to console. Obviously a ton of people who've already played will rebuy but if they have it on PC are they really going to make XBox their primary version?

It'll be big news at launch but once the new year hits and the games been out a few weeks I'd expect most of the PC guys will go back to PC and it'll have a solid player base for awhile but fall in behind Destiny, COD, Battlefield, NBA and Madden.

mas8705

Considering how many people have said that "Microsoft hasn't had anything unique this year," this is probably going to be blowing the socks off a good number of owners when they get to enjoy the console version first (since we can probably guess that they would go multiplatform later on).

I'll admit that I wasn't all too interested in PUBG at first, but now I'm actually willing to give it a shot when it launches later this year.

I wonder why Microsoft didn't buy PUBG outright. Make sure it never ends on Playstation, with how big it is, it would be an ideal contender for a console exclusive only on xbox.

And maybe it would actually make Sony revive Socom as a tactical third person competitor, now that Ghost Recon has become something else entirely.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Don't strawman. I'm talking about this game specifically. Not a genre.
I don't know man, I get that there are games that are played better on PC, I myself can't play Overwatch or Rainbow Six Siege on console, I absolutely need the mouse and keyboard. However, there's millions upon millions of people playing those just fine.

I wonder why Microsoft didn't buy PUBG outright. Make sure it never ends on Playstation, with how big it is, it would be an ideal contender for a console exclusive only on xbox.

And maybe it would actually make Sony revive Socom as a tactical third person competitor, now that Ghost Recon has become something else entirely.

Probably a cost thing, MS couldn't afford it likely.

Magwik

Banned

BlueHole has made probably $200m+ from the game alone so far. They probably don't want to be bought out.

Vipu

Banned
To me it looks like PU wants to make good game finally after being locked to bad games that are not his (arma mods, h1z1 etc).

Selling the game to Micro$oft is not gonna keep the game good.

DR2K

Banned
It's a big get, but it just being timed exclusive won't get people to buy Xboxs any more than they normally do during a holiday season.

gogojira

Didn't know GAF had so many market researchers posting

Here's my hot marketing analysis:

This game is enormously fucking popular and anyone who thinks it isn't going to be huge on Xbox is fooling themselves or maybe for console warrior reasons they are hoping against it.

mcrommert

Banned
Here's my hit marketing analysis:

This game is a enormously fucking popular and anyone who thinks it isn't going to be huge on Xbox is fooling themselves or maybe for console warrior reasons they are hoping against it.

This is what the evidence would tell us

Ushay

I know at least 3 people that play this game, I expect this to be a big hitter wherever it goes. If the developers are smart, they will build on the game as much as they can. They'll soon be competing with publishers that have far larger budgets and talent.

jesu

There are no games like this on consoles.

The combat systems would need a major overhaul. Even in third person there are three aiming methods including ADS. All of these would need significant and varying auto aim to compensate for the stick. Players would need larger health pools to accommodate these changes. Right now, you die very quickly and it feels fair because all aiming is 1:1. If they kept the health system the same, then snap on aim bots would instantly kill most players with minimal input on the opponents part. This game works because of mouse aiming.

Don't strawman. I'm talking about this game specifically. Not a genre.

The consoles don't have snap on aimbots.

sibarraz

Banned

Considering how "casual" are games like dota or even counter strike, that a game was able to surpass them doesn't seem like a hardcore niche game really

Usobuko

Banned
I believe Microsoft has a good get in this.

Sony marketing deal with one of the heavyweights publisher has to cost more than this partnership right?

le.phat

Just like CS: source and team fortress 2, I dont see PUBG successfully breaking into the console sphere. Don't think there's room at the top for yet another shooter this holiday.

Top Bottom