• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How big is PlayerUnknown Battlegrounds for Xbox this Autumn?

anddo0

I think it don't even reach fraction of PC version popularity.

This.

It's quite possible the game has already peaked. We have no idea if the numbers will even be a quarter of what's on PC.

While it's Microsoft’s biggest game. It's still MP only, and this type of MP may not be as popular outside of the PC ecosystem.

It's a wait on see. The game has momentum ; how long before it begins fade? The console market is a different beast will this type of game click with the non-Day Z crowd? Many people prefer to watch rather than play this game as well. So many different factors.

I was under the impression that despite any ports this would remain a PC heavy game on player count. I'd be interested to know which platform ends up on top.

Raide

I was under the impression that despite any ports this would remain a PC heavy game on player count. I'd be interested to know which platform ends up on top.

It's already got a good headstart on consoles but I can see the XB1 version doing really well as people get into it. All of the community sharing stuff, lfg, Mixer etc, should lead to more people playing and sharing which will widen the user base.

fuzaco

I just can't see how the game will be ready for console launch in a few months. It's a great game, but it's really janky and the performance is bad. It's far from being complete, and releasing it on console like this is gonna be a disaster.

Grazzt

I just can't see how the game will be ready for console launch in a few months. It's a great game, but it's really janky and the performance is bad. It's far from being complete, and releasing it on console like this is gonna be a disaster.

Like someone has mentioned before, it will be released as preview version.

I'm waiting for it to come to consoles so I can play. I don't have a gaming pc.

Vipu

Banned
Just like CS: source and team fortress 2, I dont see PUBG successfully breaking into the console sphere. Don't think there's room at the top for yet another shooter this holiday.

Yet another shooter?

It might be shooter but very different to any other.

pitchfork

6 months ago I wouldn't have believed it, but yeah, I think its gonna be the biggest thing for Xbox over the holiday period

Having become hooked on streams over the last couple of months, I cant wait!

notaskwid

I don't think it'll be that popular. People will choose COD, Destiny 2 and Battlefront over it on consoles.
Will be popular sure, but not even close to its popularity on PC.

DJwest

I'm very curious to see how the popularity of the game on PC will translate on consoles. I'm personally not convinced it will be so give for the Xbox One. Let's wait and see.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Will the game be full price on Xbox or same price as the PC release ?

Jumeira

Banned
I'd like to know what so good about this game, I'm not being flippant here, I'm genuinely curious, I've watched a few YouTube vids but there's so many, would be nice if Easy Allies or ACG would put together a intro video.

Bluth54

Just like CS: source and team fortress 2, I dont see PUBG successfully breaking into the console sphere. Don't think there's room at the top for yet another shooter this holiday.

Even though TF2 and CSGO game design are more focused on PC over consoles/controllers I think the lack of success on consoles had more to do with the fact that Valve doesn't really care about consoles that much and never updated the games with all the new content they made for the PC versions more than anything else.

Vipu

Banned
I'd like to know what so good about this game, I'm not being flippant here, I'm genuinely curious, I've watched a few YouTube vids but there's so many, would be nice if Easy Allies or ACG would put together a intro video.

Gunplay, every round is unique and anything can happen, adrenaline at the end of round that no other game gives and this cant be experienced without playing yourself.

SCB3

PUBG is weird as I can see it burning out fast after the full release (out of Early access) I mean where is H1Z1 and DayZ these days, similar games that blew up quick and then fell down as well

However, this is the right time for Xbox to grab it, it'll sell loads and with the Xbox One X, will run great, I wanna play it on console (it's laggy as hell on my PC for some reason, never been able to figure out why, I can play BF1 at Ultra, but not PUBG)

wapplew

PUBG is weird as I can see it burning out fast after the full release (out of Early access) I mean where is H1Z1 and DayZ these days, similar games that blew up quick and then fell down as well

However, this is the right time for Xbox to grab it, it'll sell loads and with the Xbox One X, will run great, I wanna play it on console (it's laggy as hell on my PC for some reason, never been able to figure out why, I can play BF1 at Ultra, but not PUBG)

They are still big, just not hitting the news as often as PUBG.

Evoga

Buying an Xbox One X just for this game.

I don't care about graphics I just want console games with online player counts higher than 32. I purchased a Ps4 just for Mag but after that there was nothing.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
This is the most out of touch thing I've read all day. Congrats!

Is it?

How often does the hardcore PC and hardcore console community overlap?

I don't see too much demand for DOTA 2, WoW or LoL on consoles and Counter Strike isn't one of the higher played games on console.

PC success doesn't in any way guarantee console success and vice versa.

Varg

Banned
Seems like its going to be big. Already on board with an X preorder along with 4 of my console buddies I play with.

PeterGAF

Banned
Is it?

I don't see too much demand for DOTA 2, WoW or LoL on consoles and Counter Strike isn't one of the higher played games on console.

Counter strike was abandoned by valve and never got any updates. DOTA and LoL have control issues with console so those aren't fair comparisons either. WoW would have been huge on console if it were ever released.

SCB3

Counter strike was abandoned by valve and never got any updates. DOTA and LoL have control issues with console so those aren't fair comparisons either. WoW would have been huge on console if it were ever released.

WoW was too early for Consoles, does it support Controllers at all? FF14 and ESO proved that MMO's can be viable for consoles

LoL and Dota 2 could work, but it wouldn't be the same as M+kb, the control just isn't there, although console only servers could help that

CS on Xbox, Valve just doesn't support consoles at all, look how broken the Orange Box was on PS3, it took years to fix that, Portal 2 being free on steam if you bought the ps3 version was the closest we got to valve supporting consoles

For a fairer comparison, check CoD and BF numbers, PC vs console,

cackhyena

The one thing I can't wrap my head around is how picking up items will work. There's just no way to make it as good as tab/selecting with a mouse for groups of times strewn about.

tracca

Neo Member
I think it will be the most played game on Xbox this holiday and for the foreseeable future. It will be huge.

It's a big win for them but Sony balances it out by having dibs on the other shooters. I guess it depends on how long it's exclusive to Xbox. As for the game I don't see the craze lasting too long until teh cool kids move on to over hyping something else.

giphy.gif

Are you seriously going to imply that it wouldn't sell way more with a physical release?

Are you from the future or something? We don't know how popular it will be on console, a bit too soon to have impressions.

H1Z1 is one of the most player games in Steam, the 5th one exactly. Most developers would kill for those numbers. Dayz was largely superseded by precisely H1Z1 and PUBG.

blakep267

It's a big win for them but Sony balances it out by having dibs on the other shooters. I guess it depends on how long it's exclusive to Xbox. As for the game I don't see the craze lasting too long until teh cool kids move on to over hyping something else.
But Sony doesn't have dibs in other shooters. Your arguing that a 3rd party marketing deal for games that are gonna be on other platforms has more impact than a timed exclusive with no timed table for release on the PS4.

Keinning

But Sony doesn't have dibs in other shooters. Your arguing that a 3rd party marketing deal for games that are gonna be on other platforms has more impact than a timed exclusive with no timed table for release on the PS4.

i'm also curious about what "dibs" he's talking about. is paragon really this big? only thing that comes to mind
if anything shooters are one of the genres with most parity between ps4-xb1. it's nowhere as skewed as jrpgs for instance

cackhyena

Are you seriously going to imply that it wouldn't sell way more with a physical release?

I'm saying a game that's selling with the hotness of a GTA at the moment, need not worry about it sales being "hampered" by lack of a physical release. Priority is stability for consoles. They can put out some physical release with extra goodies down the line if they wish. It's not necessary right now.

Jarnet87

Cross play with PC would be a real nice feature. My PC can't even run this game and while I plan on building a new one, a $250 system where I can play this game with my friends would be a great alternative.

No I'm not. Just saying the marketing deals do make a difference, and COD and Destiny are BIG games. Obviously it's not quite the same as having a game outright.

It'll be big initially based on the hype alone. How well it survives past that will depend on technical stability and how well they tighten up the gamepad controls.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Is it?

Success isn't guaranteed on console. Within the GAF bubble PUBG's going to storm the console space, but the casual console player doesn't know it exists.

Microsoft is going to have to heavily Market PUBG if it's going to find the success people around here expect.

gamz

Success isn't guaranteed on console. Within the GAF bubble PUBG's going to storm the console space, but the casual console player doesn't know it exists.

Microsoft is going to have to heavily Market PUBG if it's going to find the success people around here expect.

They are gonna market the shit out of it. And just like anything WOM travels fast nowadays.

Look at Minecraft on Xbox for example.

Top Bottom