• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How do I not hate myself?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This here is examplary of it all. You ask how to not hate yourself, and here you just dropped something that oozes talent, and deserves recognition; you have an avenue to a successfully life and a possible tool with which you can help your anxiety. you should not be apologizing for it.
Thespot is spot on.

You got something here, bro. You may even be able to make money off this. The best part is, it's something you like to do. I really wish I had something like this as I'm sure many others do.

Like I mentioned, I'm in a very similar predicament than you, Sadsic. Difference is I don't have any talents or skills. If I were in your shoes, I'd listen to these guys and take advantage of what you got.

neoism

yeah i was looking for vocals for Axiom for a while, ill prolly put it on something eventually

honestly i dont hate my mom, but im deeply confused everytime my mom tries to talk to me

lol I love it without lyrics... It is a awesome beat... lol been listenin to it for an hour.

I wouldn't blame you. You love her, obviously. That's why your confused, but still its not your fault man, she just wasn't a good mother. I'm sure she wasn't raised up the best either, shame how that doesn't make someone a better parent.

Also you should think of all the people that has listened to your music, I'm baised though, I love your style of music. Still it could have helped someone out there, just like it obsiously helpes you. Your a miiillion times more talent then me, so just keep it up man. :p

<3

seriously, people who are donating me money: thank you.

i am 100% game if any of you want me to make you like a custom song or something

We are paying you for something you produced because we enjoyed it and think it's worth it. It isn't really a "donation." We believe in your work.

eh, maybe I shouldn't speak for everyone, but that's how I feel. I don't view paying a reasonable amount for a humble indie bundle as a donation...it's a purchase. This is no different.

PS - Please put ghostmurderer on your next ep <3 It is my very favorite sadsic track.

I bought all of your stuff last night aside from the first album cause it wasn't for sale. You should look into collaborating with an indie dev on their game's ST, it'd fit you well.

If only my Mac's sound output wasn't busted, I would give your tunes a listen. This thread has only motivated me to get into clinical psychology after my undergrad.

wondermega

Dude this music is awesome. I didnt even want to post, but was compelled after listening.
I feel the same way. Was looking at this thread the other night and getting pretty damned depressed, now it's kind of turned around :)

I bought all of your stuff last night aside from the first album cause it wasn't for sale. You should look into collaborating with an indie dev on their game's ST, it'd fit you well.
I'm an indie developer, maybe I will hit you up to see if you are interested to collaborate on a couple of things. Very nice work!

This thread really reminds me of a compositer I know (here in LA). Very dark, sullen, withdrawn guy, whenever we go out he is always freaking out about his traumatic past, to the point where it is almost like a cartoon (um. almost nothing!)... genuinely miserable and kind of on the verge of some kind of meltdown at any given moment, for real :( At the same time, super nice, unbelievably talented, and somehow quite successful in spite of himself..

zbarron

We are paying you for something you produced because we enjoyed it and think it's worth it. It isn't really a "donation." We believe in your work.

eh, maybe I shouldn't speak for everyone, but that's how I feel. I don't view paying a reasonable amount for a humble indie bundle as a donation...it's a purchase. This is no different.

PS - Please put ghostmurderer on your next ep <3 It is my very favorite sadsic track.

This. Your songs in FLAC coming out of a high end sound system is an experience, man.
Also wanted to mention they make good Audiosurf songs if anyone wants to try for the high score.

Sadsic

I went to a therapist earlier today and I was told I am consumed by self-hatred. huh

I feel the same way. Was looking at this thread the other night and getting pretty damned depressed, now it's kind of turned around :)

I'm an indie developer, maybe I will hit you up to see if you are interested to collaborate on a couple of things. Very nice work!

This thread really reminds me of a compositer I know (here in LA). Very dark, sullen, withdrawn guy, whenever we go out he is always freaking out about his traumatic past, to the point where it is almost like a cartoon (um. almost nothing!)... genuinely miserable and kind of on the verge of some kind of meltdown at any given moment, for real :( At the same time, super nice, unbelievably talented, and somehow quite successful in spite of himself..

yeah id definitely be interested in working on a video game's soundtrack. would be an interesting challenge

thespot84

I went to a therapist earlier today and I was told I am consumed by self-hatred. huh

did you like the therapist? I takes time and it's a pain in the ass but keep shopping around until you find a therapist you LIKE. Makes all the difference in the world.

Sadsic

Dropping to say I like your work so far, especially Sunken and Indian Winter Giver. Will continue to listen!

comments like this are really motivating me to finish up this EP i have. ill try and throw it out soon

did you like the therapist? I takes time and it's a pain in the ass but keep shopping around until you find a therapist you LIKE. Makes all the difference in the world.

she was nice, but im not picky whatsoever. this was just an in-take though, supposed to (hopefully) get one in like 2 weeks

I'm not a doctor, and I've definitely not had nearly as bad of a go of things as you have sadsic, but I will just point out one thing.

Clearly you need professional help just to hash things out in regards to your past and that's fine. None of the things have broken you though, because the real you doesn't exist yet. You can't even really hate yourself, because the "yourself" is just a manifestation of all the shit you have had happen to you in the past. When I look at the bad shit that happened to me in the past, it doesn't even seem like it happened to me. I honestly do hate THAT person, but I love myself now and will continue to do so. Whether or not you find happiness is yet to be determined, but just the prospect of being able to achieve it is enough for me somedays, and hopefully it will be enough for you too. Sometimes all you need is hope.

Sadsic

I'm not a doctor, and I've definitely not had nearly as bad of a go of things as you have sadsic, but I will just point out one thing.

Clearly you need professional help just to hash things out in regards to your past and that's fine. None of the things have broken you though, because the real you doesn't exist yet. You can't even really hate yourself, because the "yourself" is just a manifestation of all the shit you have had happen to you in the past. When I look at the bad shit that happened to me in the past, it doesn't even seem like it happened to me. I honestly do hate THAT person, but I love myself now and will continue to do so. Whether or not you find happiness is yet to be determined, but just the prospect of being able to achieve it is enough for me somedays, and hopefully it will be enough for you too. Sometimes all you need is hope.

its hard for me to read this, because i have no idea how to separate my past actions from "me"... honestly, im baffled.

This has been true for me as well. It's a bit of a slog to get there though...you have a lot of work ahead, Sadsic. But it might just be the best thing you ever did for yourself.

It'll make more sense later on down the road.

Jacob

I haven't had to deal with half the shit you have, OP, but I've been in a somewhat similar position with regards to self-hatred and depression. I bottomed out last October which was when I was hospitalized for self-harm and suicidal ideation and while things have gotten better it's been slow-going. I was apprehensive about reading this thread because I was afraid that it would just remind me of bad times and get me down. Reading through to the end and listening to your music has actually been really inspiring, though. I don't have any particular aptitude for music but I feel sort of the same with regards to college and I've been trying to figure out to turn my own passion (writing) into some sort of viable career. You've obviously got a lot of talent and I love what you've done. I don't have a ton of money but I bought b. forever for $20 from bandcamp. Best of luck man, because you really deserve to succeed with this.

I live in Maryland too, though on the other side of the state (Baltimore County near the PA line). Still, small world.... I hope that the new therapist is helpful for you. Counselling has been extremely helpful for me, though it really comes down to finding someone who you trust and have a good dynamic with. Medicine can be helpful but it's not a fix by itself; it just helps take the edge off of depression. I think that following your passion is one of the best ways to help change your outlook on life. When I stop to think about it I'm amazed by how differently I think about myself and the world then I did six months ago, though I've still got far to go.

That got a little rambly, but again, good luck, man. And please keep making music, because your stuff is great!

Sadsic

I haven't had to deal with half the shit you have, OP, but I've been in a somewhat similar position with regards to self-hatred and depression. I bottomed out last October which was when I was hospitalized for self-harm and suicidal ideation and while things have gotten better it's been slow-going. I was apprehensive about reading this thread because I was afraid that it would just remind me of bad times and get me down. Reading through to the end and listening to your music has actually been really inspiring, though. I don't have any particular aptitude for music but I feel sort of the same with regards to college and I've been trying to figure out to turn my own passion (writing) into some sort of viable career. You've obviously got a lot of talent and I love what you've done. I don't have a ton of money but I bought b. forever for $20 from bandcamp. Best of luck man, because you really deserve to succeed with this.

I live in Maryland too, though on the other side of the state (Baltimore County near the PA line). Still, small world.... I hope that the new therapist is helpful for you. Counselling has been extremely helpful for me, though it really comes down to finding someone who you trust and have a good dynamic with. Medicine can be helpful but it's not a fix by itself; it just helps take the edge off of depression. I think that following your passion is one of the best ways to help change your outlook on life. When I stop to think about it I'm amazed by how differently I think about myself and the world then I did six months ago, though I've still got far to go.

That got a little rambly, but again, good luck, man. And please keep making music, because your stuff is great!

thank you very much... i am truly amazed that people do not hate me as much as i do

Jacob

thank you very much... i am truly amazed that people do not hate me as much as i do

That was something that used to really confuse me too. When you're in a place of severe depression your ability to think rationally, especially when it comes to thinking about yourself, approaches zero. I still try to remind myself of this sometimes when I notice that I'm falling back into old unhealthy thought patterns. It does get better though.

I'm listening to the whole album in order now and I just want to reiterate how much I love it. My Friends is probably my favorite track but I love the variety you show. I wish I could make more specific comments but I'm not too familiar with this style of music. I might have my brother listen since he knows more about hip hop/ambient stuff.

Onemic

Just chiming in again to say your shit is amazing. The comment you said earlier about the soundcloud vs the other ep's is definitely true though. Your recent soundcloud stuff is on a whole other level compared to your past albums. Keep it up man, you'll be going places.

I found one thing that you should always strive for is acceptance of self. Once you accept yourself, warts and all, the healing process will be that much faster. Try it.

Sadsic

That was something that used to really confuse me too. When you're in a place of severe depression your ability to think rationally, especially when it comes to thinking about yourself, approaches zero. I still try to remind myself of this sometimes when I notice that I'm falling back into old unhealthy thought patterns.

I'm listening to the whole album in order now and I just want to reiterate how much I love it. My Friends is probably my favorite track but I love the variety you show. I wish I could make more specific comments but I'm not too familiar with this style of music. I might have my brother listen since he knows more about hip hop/ambient stuff.

the thing is, ive never not felt like this... i ve always felt distorted when i think of myself, in comparison to how other people look at me, and it drives people away from me in droves

Just chiming in again to say your shit is amazing. The comment you said earlier about the soundcloud vs the other ep's is definitely true though. Your recent soundcloud stuff is on a whole other level compared to your past albums. Keep it up man, you'll be going places.

I found one thing that you should always strive for is acceptance of self. Once you accept yourself, warts and all, the healing process will be that much faster. Try it.

i cant accept myself, i am a fucking failure and i know it and i want to kill myself right now really fucking badly

Grakl

im really fucking scared and insecure feeling right now and i dont know how to stop it

Look at all the people who said they genuinely think your music is pretty awesome. It is. I don't see criticism coming from this thread.

You've got something special, man. Wish I was as talented as you.

Jacob

the thing is, ive never not felt like this... i ve always felt distorted when i think of myself, in comparison to how other people look at me, and it drives people away from me in droves

i cant accept myself, i am a fucking failure and i know it and i want to kill myself right now really fucking badly

I'm not a professional and I don't your whole story, so all I can say is that I really, really hope that you hang in there and continue to get help. Going to see a new therapist was a great thing to do and it can be the foundation for continuing to get better. I hope that you have or can find people who will be able to support you even when you're at your lowest point.

I'm not the right person to deal with a crisis situation where someone is about to do something really dangerous, so all I can say is TALK TO SOMEONE WHO CAN HELP. Your therapist might have a 24-hour line. You may know someone who you can talk to (your dad?). Also, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is 1-800-273-8255 in the U.S. They literally do save lives.

Please hang in there and good luck.

Sadsic

I'm not a professional and I don't your whole story, so all I can say is that I really, really hope that you hang in there and continue to get help. Going to see a new therapist was a great thing to do and it can be the foundation for continuing to get better. I hope that you have or can find people who will be able to support you even when you're at your lowest point.

I'm not the right person to deal with a crisis situation where someone is about to do something really dangerous, so all I can say is TALK TO SOMEONE WHO CAN HELP. Your therapist might have a 24-hour line. You may know someone who you can talk to (your dad?). Also, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is 1-800-273-8255 in the U.S. They literally do save lives.

Please hang in there and good luck.

sorry i just had a panic attack because a friend of mine said he was graduating from college... and we're the same age

im posting this because im really paranoid people think im lying about my life for money: http://i.imgur.com/TEjeC.png

Onemic

We're all saying how awesome your music is, that is an accomplishment in itself. Who says you have to graduate from college now? Does not graduating from college make you a failure? Acceptance of oneself is needed to be able to move on, what makes you think you can't do it, or at least try to?

Sadsic

We're all saying how awesome your music is, that is an accomplishment in itself. Who says you have to graduate from college now? Does not graduating from college make you a failure? Acceptance of oneself is needed to be able to move on, what makes you think you can't do it, or at least try to?

my mom seriously instilled all that in me. i cant emphasize that enough, theres been so many times my mom would lock me in a room and just scream at me for hours and hours about how much of a failure i am

Onemic

my mom seriously instilled all that in me. i cant emphasize that enough, theres been so many times my mom would lock me in a room and just scream at me for hours and hours about how much of a failure i am

That is beyond fucked up, you should really cease contact with her as she seems to be the main reason for most of the problems you are facing today. Even though she may have said that you need to begin thinking about how that could actually be true. What made you a failure? Is anything she said rational enough that the term(which is quite strong) could be applied to you? I'm 99.999999% sure there isn't.

thespot84

that's horrible! sounds like classic projection if I can play armchair psychologist. No one should ever endure that, and it's obvious to us that it's just not true. Your mom's issues clearly went far beyond 'bad parenting'. She probably needs more help than you do.

Sadsic

that's horrible! sounds like classic projection if I can play armchair psychologist. No one should ever endure that, and it's obvious to us that it's just not true. Your mom's issues clearly went far beyond 'bad parenting'. She probably needs more help than you do.

my doctor today told me it was projection, but i cant shake how awful it makes me feel

You've got my love and support Sadsic.

Feels pretty good to get that kind of stuff off your chest doesn't it?

Therapy can be fun if you get one of the doctors that feels empathy for you. If they'll listen, instead of try to diagnose. Just remember. We're all insane. Some to harsher degrees than others I'll admit being at an extreme. Just don't hurt yourself out of some misplaced anger at the world.

This from what I can tell is all you get. More than half the time it sucks, but that's what it is. Find what makes you happy and live with the scars. They don't have to define you. This is the stickler. This is the part people get caught up in. Letting what's happened to them define their very sense of self.

I'm not my rape. It had a hell of an impact on me. But it isn't all that there is. There's the bubbly goofy monkey, the ardent yet realistic Nintendo supporter, the watcher of Smallville reruns, the girl trapped in a mans body, and the person that can't stop themselves from reading Benjamin Franklin biographies.

We've all got our anchors. Just don't let them sink you.

Sadsic

You've got my love and support Sadsic.

Feels pretty good to get that kind of stuff off your chest doesn't it?

Therapy can be fun if you get one of the doctors that feels empathy for you. If they'll listen, instead of try to diagnose. Just remember. We're all insane. Some to harsher degrees than others I'll admit being at an extreme. Just don't hurt yourself out of some misplaced anger at the world.

This from what I can tell is all you get. More than half the time it sucks, but that's what it is. Find what makes you happy and live with the scars. They don't have to define you. This is the stickler. This is the part people get caught up in. Letting what's happened to them define their very sense of self.

I'm not my rape. It had a hell of an impact on me. But it isn't all that there is. There's the bubbly goofy monkey, the ardent yet realistic Nintendo supporter, the watcher of Smallville reruns, the girl trapped in a mans body, and the person that can't stop themselves from reading Benjamin Franklin biographies.

We've all got our anchors. Just don't let them sink you.

just to let you know, you were always one of my favorite posters to watch when i didnt have an account yet

just to let you know, you were always one of my favorite posters to watch when i didnt have an account yet
I just offer my support where needed. You're never alone. Everyone has had to deal with shit in their life. Some minor, some huge.

Hell from outside observers even huge can seem small, depending on their own experiences. I just don't want good people to hurt because of the completely fucked up nature of mankind. None of us deserve the indignity of rape or abuse. To be treated as less.

I don't know where I'm going with that. I'm no more enlightened than any other person. I just want to be here. For you and anyone else to know we're always here for you. I won't judge.

Others will. But that's people for you.

Sadsic

Dude if you have XBOX live maybe we can play some Co-OP games together

im actually an ardent pc / nintendo fan >_>

I just offer my support where needed. You're never alone. Everyone has had to deal with shit in their life. Some minor, some huge.

Hell from outside observers even huge can seem small, depending on their own experiences. I just don't want good people to hurt because of the completely fucked up nature of mankind. None of us deserve the indignity of rape or abuse. To be treated as less.

I don't know where I'm going with that. I'm no more enlightened than any other person. I just want to be here. For you and anyone else to know we're always here for you. I won't judge.

Others will. But that's people for you.

you are very nice. very very nice (im totally bi btw)

you are very nice. very very nice (im totally bi btw)
I'd say I'm closer to a lesbian if I'd been born a woman. I like to eat pussy, but my penis is just like this weird appendage nature decided I needed.

Haven't found much use for it aside from the obvious. This is why I usually stick to jokes in sex threads. Truth comes out and people look at me like I'm crazy. Or as they would reading text on a screen.

I'm not saying you're doing that. Truth be told we've both got more than a little crazy to go around. But hey I will say getting a good therapist really can help. You could one day be the bastion of sanity that I am!

This is to show you crazy can be fun if you do it right. Listen... half of the people talking to you will never have experienced one tenth of the pain you have. That's not to diminish their trials. But they can help. Or can point you in the right direction.

God I tell you guys more personal stuff than I even tell my family.

Thundermonkey... I don't even know why, but when I started reading your posts, it's like a wave washed over me; my mind's narrative changed completely to one of pure tranquillity and wisdom... And I've never even see you post before. Weird, but awesome.

Sadsic, I've read this thread from start to finish and the sheer turnaround/revelation of events has seriously put a sizable lump in my throat. I'm at work and therefore can't listen to your stuff, but going on what others have said, you obviously have talent and are capable of creating things that people will love; don't let these anchors prevent you from giving this to everyone and - most importantly - to yourself.

Best of luck.

i would probably not tell most of this to an extreme majority of family tbh
I could probably tell my brother.

But I think it will just be easier if there's never any way it can get to my mother. She's always wanted grandchildren, my brother is openly gay. It seems to mean a lot to her that the genetics be continued. So I continue to be who I am. Masculine in body, feminine in spirit.

Who knows. Maybe one day I'll find a woman that can see the real me. I might not mind having a penis if she knows about the rest of it. If I can be that truthful with her. That I probably should have been born *Tyara Dawn instead of Tyrone.

I won't complain. Genetics just kind of messed up a little.

*literally the name my mom had picked out for her "little girl" that the doctors knew I was.

My advice? Run away. Sprint even. Start a new life. Leave all the bullshit and bad memories behind. Give more than you receive. Help children. Dedicate yourself to a greater cause. Discover your passion. The World is large my friend. Opportunity is never out of reach. Accept your estrangement by embracing something more. Share your wealth of perspective with people, by creating a marriage between pen and paper. Explore whats out there, live a fantasy, get lost in a safari.

Edit: The track entitled "My Friends (Ft. Everyone)" is fire. I'm listening to it right now. The beat is an eargasm. Throw some lyrics over top and holy shit!

Sadsic

My advice? Run away. Sprint even. Start a new life. Leave all the bullshit and bad memories behind. Give more than you receive. Help children. Dedicate yourself to a greater cause. Discover your passion. The World is large my friend. Opportunity is never out of reach. Accept your estrangement by embracing something more. Share your wealth of perspective with people, by creating a marriage between pen and paper. Explore whats out there, live a fantasy, get lost in a safari.

Edit: The track entitled "My Friends (Ft. Everyone)" is fire. I'm listening to it right now. The beat is an eargasm. Throw some lyrics over top and holy shit!

i kinda already did run away >_> but im seriously trying to move to my friends house in calgary because it seems like the other end of the fucking earth to me

also i think i mentioned it before, but that song is entirely made out of samples other people sent me; there's like... 5 different vocalists all buried in there lol

I could probably tell my brother.

But I think it will just be easier if there's never any way it can get to my mother. She's always wanted grandchildren, my brother is openly gay. It seems to mean a lot to her that the genetics be continued. So I continue to be who I am. Masculine in body, feminine in spirit.

Who knows. Maybe one day I'll find a woman that can see the real me. I might not mind having a penis if she knows about the rest of it. If I can be that truthful with her. That I probably should have been born *Tyara Dawn instead of Tyrone.

I won't complain. Genetics just kind of messed up a little.

*literally the name my mom had picked out for her "little girl" that the doctors knew I was.

do you consider yrself genderqueer?

do you consider yrself genderqueer?
If I thought about it probably. Reading about it I'd say that's about as close to gender identity as I think I've ever had. I really don't have much of a problem with being a guy. It isn't killing me to change. It just doesn't feel completely right. If I believed in an afterlife I'd think I'm an older female soul in a young male body.

Overall I've never been one to define people. There was never latinos, there was my cousins Tony and Jaime, never African-Americans but my niece Tylena and cousins Vanessa and Jennifer, never homosexuals but my brother, cousins, aunts.

People. It wasn't until much later that I learned some people valued those differences. I didn't get that when I was a kid. I mean I don't get it now, but I understand that some feel that way.

I find it hard to dislike anyone. Everyone has baggage. Everyone has either disappointed the people they love, or been disappointed by them. I'd rather hear where they are coming from than try to judge all by my lonesome. Because I'm usually completely and utterly wrong.

Sadsic

If I thought about it probably. Reading about it I'd say that's about as close to gender identity as I think I've ever had. I really don't have much of a problem with being a guy. It isn't killing me to change. It just doesn't feel completely right. If I believed in an afterlife I'd think I'm an older female soul in a young male body.

Overall I've never been one to define people. There was never latinos, there was my cousins Tony and Jaime, never African-Americans but my niece Tylena and cousins Vanessa and Jennifer, never homosexuals but my brother, cousins, aunts.

People. It wasn't until much later that I learned some people valued those differences. I didn't get that when I was a kid. I mean I don't get it now, but I understand that some feel that way.

I find it hard to dislike anyone. Everyone has baggage. Everyone has either disappointed the people they love, or been disappointed by them. I'd rather hear where they are coming from than try to judge all by my lonesome. Because I'm usually completely and utterly wrong.

interesting. you are wise as fuck

Riggs

Banned
Sadsic glad this thread is turning out positive, you rock man. If you got steam hit me up so I can shoot you in CSS or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom