• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How do you measure how much pasta/noodles to cook?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miletius

It looks like you let it sit for too long? I don't think the amount of water was the culprit here so much as the fact that you let it sit in the pot for too long and absorbed the water. Rice noodles are pretty notorious for that sort of thing, so you probably just let it sit in the bowl for too long unattended.

faridmon

It seems you didn't stir it. Also, you might have used more water that you were supposed to. Add Salt and that should be your solution.

Don't worry OP, I did the same mistake when I started doing this.

marrec

Banned
yw4EIUa.jpg

Try again Divvy, you've almost got it.

Chuckie

It seems you didn't stir it. Also, you might have used more water that you were supposed to. Add Salt and that should be your solution.

Don't worry OP, I did the same mistake when I started doing this.

I never stir, I use as much water as possible. My pasta has never failed.

rezuth

That looks like a stirring issue. If you don't have A LOT of water you need to constantly handle the pasta to make sure it doesn't stick.

Divvy, forever known to his friends as "a guy who could fuck up cooking spaghetti". :p

j/k, but seriously, more water and a bigger pot. I've never seen this happen, ever. I tend to just eyeball pasta amounts, if anything I overestimate by a tiny bit but I've never seen a pot of pasta turned into something that fell out of the back end of an alien queen.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
For a second, i thought the OP just put a lot of cake frosting/pudding on top of pasta for some weird ass reason.

Then, i actually read the OP's post. Mindblown.gif

Take a look at the serving size on the back of the box. Weigh out that much pasta on a scale per person. Sometimes I add or subtract a bit per serving depending on what I'm serving it with. Basically, if the other parts of the meal are heavy I'll use a bit less pasta, and vice versa.

Use a bigger pot with plenty of water and don't keep the temperature at the highest setting all the way through.

What you ended up with is a complete and utter disaster.

Ultratech

I'd normally be terrible at this stuff, so I was given a Pasta Boat.

Shockingly, it works pretty well.

But yeah, I have to measure or I'll end up making too much stuff.

Also, I have no stove.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Helluvalot, son.

That's death penalty in Italy.

Anyway:

Bigger pot.
More water. You can't be wrong with more water.
Spaghetti need their stirring. Really, they do.

And since we're there, we'll detail the procedure properly:

Get water. Big pot. Roughly 1lt of water per 100g of pasta. +/- 50% is not a big deal.
When it's boiling, add salt. stir.
Add the pasta.
Depending on the pasta, cook for 8-12min.
To see if it's cooked, fetch one piece of pasta, cut in two.
If the white inside it is gone, it's cooked. Taste test best test.

To prepare the sauce, we'll discuss the most simple one: Proper tomato sauce.

First, the sautè. (Soffritto)
Grab a pan, get half an inch of olive oil in it.
Get some onions, slice them, and place them in the pan with the oil. Preferably, the oil should already be hot.
Put some salt on them.
When they're golden-ish, put tomato sauce in the pan and cook it for 10-15 minutes.

Bonus points, actually make the tomato sauce yourself by boling and smashing tomatoes. It's time consuming, but it's damn worth it.

Mikhal

What were you trying to make, OP? For rice noodles just use a strainer. Put the noodles into a pot of hot water for a minute while stirring it around a little bit. Mmm... Pho!

photo-91-e1298245116725-224x300.jpg

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
What were you trying to make, OP? For rice noodles just use a strainer. Put the noodles into a pot of hot water for a minute while stirring it around a little bit. Mmm... Pho!

photo-91-e1298245116725-224x300.jpg

Mmmhmm this is a good idea!

Also I ate some more of the thing with honey. It was pretty good.

Wag

I like the Barilla Whole Grain pasta myself. The angel hair variety is very nice, only takes 4mins to cook. Al dente. Delicious.

DogMeat77

I got this trick from Lifehacker...

For spaghetti you can use the mouth of a coke bottle/water bottle. It is roughly about 2 ounces which is a serving size of pasta.

original.jpg

Kup

Man alive, what happened there?

Usually when preparing pasta or rice I judge by eye what is too much, then take a load more away.

Or it expands and then a meal for two turns into a feast for six.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Man alive, what happened there?

Usually when preparing pasta or rice I judge by eye what is too much, then take a load more away.

Or it expands and then a meal for two turns into a feast for six.

I think I misjudged how much noodles I needed by a factor of at least five. And then I didn't properly stir it. And then I let it sit in the water too long.

Kazerei

Banned
It just takes experience to figure out how to properly portion meals. We've all made the mistake of making too much or too little food before. Though maybe not with such hilariously bad results :p

Because apparently I'm a very bad at judging these things:

Th3rlnol.jpg

I was cooking for myself and a few people, but I suppose I put in a bit too many noodles and they ended up absording all the water and formed this gelatinous blob and I had to cut it with a knife to eat it. Any tips to avoid this embarrassment in the future would be much appreciated.

Read the box. It will say how long to cook it. Once you've read the box and it's about that time taste the pasta. Is it to your liking? Good, then go strain it and serve. Is it not? Leave it in for a little longer.

Zaptruder

Banned
Also, SMH at all these various circle guides for measuring out pasta.

You get serving sizes for the packages you buy in most parts of the world nowadays.

Look on the back. If it's 4, take the lot, halve it... then halve it again.

It's not a science!

If it's 6, halve it, and third it. Again, not a science!

You basically have to misread/not read labels to screw up by a factor of 3-5 like Divvy did.

Even then, come on, you should have some sense of how much carbs is good for a single serve of food. There are no foods made from rice or wheat where the serving size is so dramatically off in terms of the weight.

mrkgoo

damn. to fuck up a dish as easy to cook as pasta like that... that's pretty impressive, actually.

I went camping with this American guy once who had never cooked pasta. He was snapping them so they would got in the pot.

Xero

whats with all these people with measurements for pasta. I throw as much as seems safe into the pot. Anything leftover is for all the extra sauce I made for leftovers for the next few days.

GRW810

Your attitude towards cooking should be the same as your attitude towards sex: if it looks good, smells good, feels good and tastes good, it is good.

Unfortunately this is not good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom