• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How do you measure how much pasta/noodles to cook?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
中秋节愉快!

Personally, I eyeball it. I'm guessing your problem was more to do with not stirring it than not using enough water, OP.

There is no way this shit was accidental.

I refuse to believe.

you wanted to make a pasta pie and post about it on the internet, dude. Which was impressive all on its own. No need to be like "How do I boil water and add noodles, GAF?"

You made a pasta pie. Even if you didn't mean to - act like you did. :)

Man I just wanted to know a way to judge how much dried noodles to put in :(

As long as it's not cold it's fine IMO. Hot Water is still enough to cool it down and help to stop the cooking but doesn't cool it too much and there's still some starch left.
I just pull it a little earlier if I want it al dente.
Man I just wanted to know a way to judge how much dried noodles to put in :(
I usually just figure it out by weight - check the package and divide it up accordingly. A pound of pasta is typically plenty of two, but it'll depend on how hungry you are.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
DsJQp4g.jpg

?

Most pasta packaging shows you on the back of it. There's printed instructions that recommends how much pasta to add to a pot of water. Some packaging even includes a circle for you to place your handful of pasta against to see how much a serving actually is. The manufacturers assumed that someone buying might have no idea how to add pasta to boiling water, and printed instructions on the back. :)

I'm pretty sure you are the first person in the history of ever to claim they did that to a pot of pasta on accident. It is a culinary fuckup of heroic proportions.

It took me a second, thought it was a weird casserole / pasta pie. Yeah, you overcooked the pasta.

Hilarious, thanks for sharing. We all learn by doing, making or whatever you want to call it. Next time, you'll have it.

Did anyone else eat it?

I would have cracked a can of marinara sauce, poured it all over the top, piled a bunch of parmesan cheese on the top of it, and tried to serve it as Spaghetti Pie.

Patent that shit, Divvy. You're sitting on a goldmine.

Divvy

Did anyone else eat it?

I would have cracked a can of marinara sauce, poured it all over the top, piled a bunch of parmesan cheese on the top of it, and tried to serve it as Spaghetti Pie.

Patent that shit, Divvy. You're sitting on a goldmine.

I'm going cut me a slice of it tomorrow and put some honey on top and see how that goes.

JordanN

Banned
I just made pasta an hour ago.

For me it's a cupful of macaroni, maybe 3 cups of boiling water and depending on the brand, I cook the macaroni for 7- 10 mins on low to medium heat. Makes 1-2 servings.

thefro

It says on the side/back of the box and even how much water to add per serving. If you follow the directions and stir the pasta every couple minutes it's pretty hard to screw up.

TMlqdry.jpg

Also I find rotini is easier to deal with than regular spaghetti

squidyj

It says on the side/back of the box and even how much water to add per serving. If you follow the directions and stir the pasta every couple minutes it's pretty hard to screw up.

TMlqdry.jpg

Also I find rotini is easier to deal with than regular spaghetti

I can't stand rotini, or wagon wheels are the worst. Macaroni is okay in situations where it is appropriate. Penne is a better option IMO

How does one fuck up cooking noodles? My mind is blown at this. At first looking at the picture I thought you were trying to make a pie and put pasta noodles at the bottom for some reason.

Divvy

asian noodles are evil. no matter how big your pot of water is, that stuff will turn into goop if you dont stir

Yeah I've never had this happen with pasta. I mean yeah, I usually make too much but nothing like this happened before. I guess vigilant stirring is in order.

DJ_Lae

I didn't know that could happen either. How long did you cook them for?

I generally just guess when I measure. Spaghetti I estimate based on a circle formed by my finger and thumb, if I pack it in there that's usually enough for four people. Smaller pasta I will sometimes pour into a big measuring cup, 1.5 cups per person works well depending on how much meat or vegetables is going to go in there too.

I find packages grossly overstate how much water you need to cook them, though. Only time that becomes an issue is at the very beginning of cooking spaghetti as you need to soften it enough to submerge all that shit (people who break spaghetti in half before cooking it, there's a special place for them).

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Ummm, you could try adding as much water as it says on the package and cooking it for as long as it says on the package.

That looks like there was WAY too little water added, and it was cooked for WAYYYYYYY too long.

If you're unsure, add more water. Also add a little oil to the water to make the noodles not stick together as much.

Sibylus

Banned
First OP in a long while that's genuinely made me laugh out loud.

And I dunno, I just eyeball the perfect amount that'll put me between "stuffed" and "nauseated".

Use a kitchen scale to weigh out perfect sized 75g portions of pasta.

Fill your pot with enough water to completely cover the pasta.

Boil until the pasta is soft, periodically poke at it with a fork to determine this. Then taste some when it looks soft enough.

Why would I want to waste food?

Hell, tomorrow I might fry up a slice and put some honey on top and see how that goes.

Well, considering how much you managed to fuck things up with boiling water, I'm not sure it's a good idea to add hot oil to the equation.

Divvy

Well, considering how much you managed to fuck things up with boiling water, I'm not sure it's a good idea to add hot oil to the equation.

Nah, I cook almost every day. I just have very low experience with asian noodles.

But if this happens:
smeYsrj.gif

I will post my shame again here.

CLEEK

When I first moved out from home at 18, my mum bought me a spaghetti measurer, like this:

103.gif

Really helpful to begin with, but they you just get used to being able to judge the amount of pasta without it.

For other pasta types, like shells, they don't expand much once cooked, so just put dry pasta on a plate to see how much there is and measure it that way.

For noodles, it pretty much always tells you how many serving you need per person. So if you fuck up noodles, your noodle is fucked up.

legend166

Spaghetti on the stove with boiling water for 12 minutes. It's the easiest thing ever.

I measure it with one of these things:

103.gif

EDIT: Hahahahaha beaten with the exact same photo.

Zaptruder

Banned
That type of noodles simply congeal after a while.

You don't need to cut it - just fork off some and pour hot chicken soup over it and it'll be all good.

It's not pasta, and to call it pasta has led to a massive amount of misleading advice.

Because apparently I'm a very bad at judging these things:

Th3rlnol.jpg

I was cooking for myself and a few people, but I suppose I put in a bit too many noodles and they ended up absording all the water and formed this gelatinous blob and I had to cut it with a knife to eat it. Any tips to avoid this embarrassment in the future would be much appreciated.

tumblr_mt76hsxLvU1soba38o1_400.gif

cbox

Dude never rinse your pasta, your sauce will have nothing to stick to. Just drain it well and make sure to save a bit of the starchy water to put back in. Pour your sauce into the pasta and stir, that way nothing sticks.

I've been cooking pasta for 15 years.

FyreWulff

There is no way this shit was accidental.

I refuse to believe.

you wanted to make a pasta pie and post about it on the internet, dude. Which was impressive all on its own. No need to be like "How do I boil water and add noodles, GAF?"

You made a pasta pie. Even if you didn't mean to - act like you did. :)

I did this accidentally with elbow macaroni when I was younger.

But that was because I went into the other room and let it overcook. Boom, gelatinpastapan.

Zoe

You don't need to cut it - just fork off some and pour hot chicken soup over it and it'll be all good.

It's not pasta, and to call it pasta has led to a massive amount of misleading advice.

This

TasTokyo

Why would I want to waste food?

Hell, tomorrow I might fry up a slice and put some honey on top and see how that goes.

What you did can no longer be called food I'm afraid. It should be studied by scientists. I also didn't realise what I was looking at for a second.

I thought pasta was impossible to mess up unless you just left the heat on and didn't look at it for a very long time.

Nikodemos

Yeah, they're like sticky rice noodles orsmth.

Some rice noodle varieties aren't supposed to be boiled, merely hot-hydrated, lest they turn into a gelatinous goop... Oh, wait...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom