• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How do you measure how much pasta/noodles to cook?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcl0328

Guessing you didn't rinse your pasta. Looks like you cooked it too long and then didn't rinse it and it continued to cook. Just because you drain it doesn't mean it's done. Also looks like you put it back on electric stove burner that was still hot?

Anyway, rinse your pasta with water after you drain it. It will remove the outer layer of starch, stops it from cooking extra, and keeps it from sticking in the pan.

pour some oil in the water while it's boiling.

how many boxes did you use? that looks like 4 boxes or some shit lol

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
This is almost unbelievable. There's no way you did this while following instructions on the label. If you bought in bulk or something, why would you not find some instructions on the internet?

What I see in the OP is literally impossible to do while following any sort of instructions for cooking pasta.

Copons

Italian here, so hey just trust me. :)

Average portion per person should be 100g (0.2 lb or something).
Fresh pasta or egg pasta may have different portion sizes, you'll know it with a little of experience.

Water should be like double the quantity of pasta (don't use a scale, you don't need it, just go with your eye), and (a little more than a) fistful of salt per portion of pasta.

Boil the water, when it's boiling throw in the salt, wait for the water to boil again, put pasta in it. Then stir gently and not too often (you don't need to do it all the time, just come back on GAF until it's done).
On the package you should find a timing. Follow it, and toss the pasta in the strainer or on time or a bit earlier if you like it "al dente" (and you should).

Done.

It's like the easiest thing ever to cook, still you foreigners can't do it at all. :D

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I feel like said this enough times now but it wasn't pasta, it was Korean noodles. Being Korean, they didn't have instructions I could read.

Metalmarc

Stir it, seriously it stops it sticking

A tiny bit of salt in the water

How do measure pasta the lazy way? Put some pasta on a clean plate/dish fill it with the amount i think fits, don't forget pasta bloats, transfer pasta from plate/bowl into saucepan, repeat for however many people your serving for

Cover pasta with boiling water (e.g from kettle) to just above 1 inch above the pasta, stir

Bring water to boil, use long handle spoon to stir as it boils, once boiled, simmer for about 10 mins, don't forget to keep stirring every so often, or that shit sticks fast.

I rinse the pasta with fresh boiling water myself, but somer ecommend not to, i don't know i'll try that one day.

For noodles, less water, also a bit less cooking time, about 5 mins after the boil.

Jay Sosa

experience.

I feel like said this enough times now but it wasn't pasta, it was Korean noodles. Being Korean, they didn't have instructions I could read.

the fuck you need instructions to cook noodles for.

tams-durham-w_right.jpg

One of those filled to the top per person for pasta.

I am still in shock about this thread and the result in the OP as someone who makes and enjoys pasta often. Like someone said earlier, that's about as close as you can get to burning a pot of water.

But plenty of good advice in the thread, hopefully such atrocities against noodle-kind won't be committed in the future.

RobertM

2 tips: stir occasionally and when you drain the water, cool the pasta off with some cold water so it doesnt stick.

Konka

Banned
2 tips: stir occasionally and when you drain the water, cool the pasta off with some cold water so it doesnt stick.

Noooo don't cool or rinse the pasta...Drain it well and finish it off in a pan with your sauce + some of the pasta water it cooked in.

Highwind

Wow..

WOW!

Didn't even think this was possible. This is fucking impressive OP.

Seriously, you've made my day with this.

Seth C

Guessing you didn't rinse your pasta. Looks like you cooked it too long and then didn't rinse it and it continued to cook. Just because you drain it doesn't mean it's done. Also looks like you put it back on electric stove burner that was still hot?

Anyway, rinse your pasta with water after you drain it. It will remove the outer layer of starch, stops it from cooking extra, and keeps it from sticking in the pan.

Only, don't ever do this. The starch gives the sauce something to bind to. Unless you're making pasta salad this is not how you cook pasta.

PsionBolt

I make a circle with my thumb and forefinger, connected at the knuckles. (Which knuckle of the forefinger depends on how hungry I am.) It seems to work pretty well.
I might try measuring with the hole in the scoopy-claw thing though, that's a neat trick.

JohnDoe

Banned
This is almost unbelievable. There's no way you did this while following instructions on the label. If you bought in bulk or something, why would you not find some instructions on the internet?

What I see in the OP is literally impossible to do while following any sort of instructions for cooking pasta.

What's even more unbelievable is that OP at some point HAD to see his father/mother cook for him when he was younger. You'd think he'd learn *something* from that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom