• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How inFAMOUS: Second Son Used the PS4s 8 (4.5) GB of RAM + more details

Can Crusher wins this thread for being the biggest dipshit. Didn't even have to scroll to the bottom of the first page and already had two useless posts.

You're calling me a dipshit because I pointed the finger at Ram reserves? Jesus christ, stop being such a mouth breather and get a fucking life.

KoopaTheCasual

Yup, so it is 5GB that's useable by devs. So, uh, why was seemingly every insider wrong about this? I remember the whole "no its 6GB!" controversy.
So now it's 4.5? Are they fucking kidding?

3.5 GB reserved for OS bullshit?!
Before anyone else dogpiles, I just wanna show you this:
4.5GB + 512MB of "flexible" RAM that is managed by the OS on-the-fly, IIRC. The OS's 3GB footprint will go down over time; Sony just opted for the "Better safe than sorry" approach as not reserving quite enough for the PS3 OS initially is why cross-game party chat was conspicuously absent even late in the PS3's life. Sony claiming back some of the RAM it had freed up would have caused huge issues with games that had been developed with the larger pool in mind.
If you're still "wtf-ing at 3GB of OS, yea, it's beefy, but shit will definitely get better.

Edit: Jesus, you're getting some seriously venomous responses. Calm down, people.

flkraven

Jesus Christ, why in the heck are people getting away with copying and pasting an entire article from a website. This shit is plagarism and stealing directly from the source site.

As for SS, crazy how that game looks with only 4.5 men and 6 cores being used. Think there will be a monster leap for games that use 5.5, etc?

Hoje0308

Banned
Jesus Christ, why in the heck are people getting away with copying and pasting an entire article from a website. This shit is plagarism and stealing directly from the source site.

As for SS, crazy how that game looks with only 4.5 men and 6 cores being used. Think there will be a monster leap for games that use 5.5, etc?

Normally I'd agree with you, but it's Dualshockers. They've had how many articles based on posts from this very site? We've simply come full circle.

Triple U

Banned

Its pretty common actually. And they are cited so I don't see what the big deal?

They should have spent more time with an eye shader. It looks very unnatural in direct lighting scenarios (cloudy plastic bag look, very inhuman).

BUt other than that the game is incredibly good looking on PS4. Some great tech choices!

vpance

The game started life on 3 to 3.5 GB available. As did every other PS4 game before Feb 2013. Remember that.

This thread is going places. A technical discussionis now a name calling, console battleground. Back on topic.

Good to see compute will improve over time. Not sure how they aren't maccing out the CPU either.

PS4 currently has 4.5GB of GDDR5 RAM for games and will probably expand to 6 or 6.5GB of GDDR5 RAM around the middle of it's life - if not sooner. More RAM = bigger canvas for developers to play with.

...what was the original thread about again. Oh yeah congrats SP, I:SS looks awsome and they way you've built the engine works wonders for a first pass PS4 game - bodes well for the future - bring on E3!

Yoday

I remember well how, after it became known MS is reserving 3 GB on Xbox One, we had here most people complaining about "bloated OS", "stupid MS", "totally non-gaming console", etc. etc.

And now it comes out Sony is reserving even more on their "totally gaming oriented" console.

Oh, the irony.
You must have missed the giant thread complaining about this when it became known about six months ago. There was no shortage of people complaining.

flkraven

Its pretty common actually. And they are cited so I don't see what the big deal?

This isn't a research paper. NeoGAF is a site that, at least in part, generates revenue. So is the source cite (which I dislike btw, so don't accuse me of fanboy nonsense). Sites are thrilled when people discuss and quote their articles when a link is included in the discussion. However, that completely changes when the entire post is quoted. Removes any reason to click, and the source gets basically no credit for generating the content. It's poor form.

Perhaps dualshockers has stolen from GAF in the past, but it doesnt condone doing this. This is wrong, and I'd hope this community would be better than this.

I remember well how, after it became known MS is reserving 3 GB on Xbox One, we had here most people complaining about "bloated OS", "stupid MS", "totally non-gaming console", etc. etc.

And now it comes out Sony is reserving even more on their "totally gaming oriented" console.

Oh, the irony.

There was a meltdown when DF first released the info back in August i believe, it was as bad as the XO.

Naminator

Banned
4.5GB + 512MB of "flexible" RAM that is managed by the OS on-the-fly, IIRC. The OS's 3GB footprint will go down over time; Sony just opted for the "Better safe than sorry" approach as not reserving quite enough for the PS3 OS initially is why cross-game party chat was conspicuously absent even late in the PS3's life. Sony claiming back some of the RAM it had freed up would have caused huge issues with games that had been developed with the larger pool in mind.

Wasn't there some dude from DF that was crucified here for saying this same exact thing?

On topic, I love reading through these kind of information, I hope developers will make this a thing and start posting more.

I got the disappointment from the ram usage out ages ago, but yeah it's still a bit disappointing. If the developers never state the ram usage then none of us would care actually. Great looking/performing game though.

It's a pretty game. Kind of surprised by the 4.5 limit since I remember a lot of people considering that to be an absurd OS reservation figure.

DigitalOp

Banned
Alot of snark and sass in the thread... damn... Did people not get their coffee today? Everyone seems pissed off.

Well if SP could do that with 4.5 for an early first wave title.... This generation is going to be bad freaking ass....

People need to remember how game development works again:

PS2 Launch Title - DOA 2 Hardcore
doa2hc-2.jpg

PS2 Near End of Life Title - GoW 2

360 Launch Title - Kameo Elements of Power

360 Near End of Life Title - Halo 4

PS4 Near Launch Title - Infamous SS

PS4 Near End of Life - ??????????????

some games are less equal than others... you get the point

jcm

It's against the GAF Terms of Service:

C. Copyrighted Material

Full transcriptions of articles and whole or partially-scanned images (e.g. magazine scans) are prohibited. Standard fair-use policies apply, and sources should always be attributed.

Those pictures indeed do not impress me that much compared to PC gaming. But if you are used to inferior graphics then this is the cream of the crop.

No but maybe came of a bit arrogant, i meant if you are used to last gen's graphics it looks great

It really would've been better if you'd said 'yeah, joke post!' because the last sentence compounds your arrogance. Some of us have decent PCs and still think Infamous SS looks impressive.

'These poor heathens, they have never seen the like in their miserable lives!'

EGOMON

I too agree that 3.5 GB of RAM for OS only is a lot but we all know that Sony will free some for devs going forward they are future-proofing the system am sure if devs started asking for more RAM Sony will give it to them, so people need to agree to disagree and stop being aggressive toward those who are concerned with amount of RAM allocation for the OS its only normal for us "gamers" to want more gaming-focused hardware.

stryke

Total noob question but could an addition of 1gb available for games = 6gb increase the frame rate???

Only in situations where they might find themselves bottlenecking with the RAM. But if you're asking for a double framerate that would not happen.

kyser73

An enlightening thread in so many different ways.

Didn't get *all* the technical stuff in the article, but the stuff I do understand is pretty impressive stuff all round, especially since we're still looking at a game with 11 months dev time on actual PS4 devkits, rather than PCs running approximations of the hardware.

Presumably a lot of the compute stuff would only really have been do-able once the devkits were in situ at Sucker Punch - or am I talking out of my ass?

Danneee

The game sure does look terrible, what was Sucker Punch thinking?

Because I referred to the game as ugly?

You sound like an expert.

Ever thought of debating the entire Sucker Punch team? You know? To defend your mettle?

Do you think that the game is looking so fabulous that fitting it all in 4.5gb is amazing? Really?

1) It's arguably the best looking console game on the market.

2) I guess I must have imagined fighting all those dudes and having pedestrians react to my actions.

Did you comment in the wrong thread, or are you just having a bad day?

Yeah, those sure seem like advanced AI routines to me! Must have used up at least a gig of RAM!

I can understand people reacting. I'm not arguing that the game isn't pretty or fun. It's just not that impressive imo.

I have no doubts that the PS4 can manage games that look a lot better than this given time and developer experience.

Edit: removed opinion based on non existing stuff I made up in my head.

Cuth

There's some truth to this, but those debates were based on info known at the time.
PS4 would have also been frowned upon if this 3.5GB reserve was known back then.
Yes, I agree about that. I think both seems really big amounts and somewhat wasteful, but of course Sony and MS have more clear ideas than me about what they want to do (and they can shrink the the amount in the future).
The whole point anyway is that I think it's funny to think about the overreactions some people had at the time, totally expecting a different approach by Sony, like they weren't two companies that have passed the whole previous generation trying to match each other's moves.

Yeah, because further handicapping your pool of slow DDR3 is totally comparable to doubling the GDDR5 you were going to have and then adding some of that to the gaming partition. The situation isn't ideal, but it's also not unexpected, given the need to compete in a variety of hypothetical situations.
"Further handicapping"? The amount of reserved memory doesn't reduce its bandwidth. This and the "Sony is better because they had 4 GB upped to 8" just don't make sense to me, it's not related to the memory they are reserving now. If third parties have 500 MB less RAM available on PS4 it could have some impact for them (a little, the difference is not really big).

You must have missed the giant thread complaining about this when it became known about six months ago. There was no shortage of people complaining.
There was a meltdown when DF first released the info back in August i believe, it was as bad as the XO.
I suppose I've missed that thread. I remember a thread were the debate was between 3 + 5 GB from some site and 2 + 6 GB from some "insiders". Maybe it's not the same thread you're referring to or I just remember wrong the numbers. Anyway, I just think the whole thing is somewhat funny looking back, as I wrote above.

stryke

I don't understand why a good developer like sucker punch proudly announce that they used up all the RAM with their first game for the system like it's a good thing.

Now you're just reading into shit that's not there. There's no "proud" announcement. It's just a GDC talk where they said the amount and what they did with it.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
RAM/Memory utilization on a Console is confusing (for a layman), when to compared against RAM/Memory utilization on a PC.

Wish there was a detailed analysis of impact with respect to crossplatform titles (edit: optimized for each target system), to actually differentiate between the two.

Lacix

Better distant environment LOD (level of detail).

Yes. This was one of the problems I've found a little bit problematic with the otherwise amazing graphics.
other things I've noticed which were not so good:
+ disappearing cars in the distance (maybe common open world problem)
+ shadow detail level change

Danneee

Now you're just reading into shit that's not there. There's no "proud" announcement. It's just a GDC talk where they said the amount and what they did with it.

Ah, I guess it was all the frustration of developers announcing "to the metal" coding on this and that game that flowed in to my first post. I was a bit too quick in the post button before thoroughly reading the OP.

My bad!

Good stuff. This game looks fantastic for an early-gen game. Obviously there's more performance and optimization to be had, but I feel that devs are really hitting the ground running with PS4.

Maybe I missed the class or seminar - but why are we saying "only" 4.5 gb and feeling so much pain from this, when The Last of Us, Heavy Rain, Battlefiled 3, etc were all built on a 256mb box?

Are we talking 2 different types of RAM, or...? I'm really lost

R3TRODYCE

Good stuff. This game looks fantastic for an early-gen game. Obviously there's more performance and optimization to be had, but I feel that devs are really hitting the ground running with PS4.
I love when people type what I was thinking. I thought iss was incredible and look forward to more.

Interfectum

Yeah the game is pretty damn impressive for an early-gen game. Can't wait to see what Rockstar does with these consoles.

Top Bottom