• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How South Korea’s angry young men formed a powerful new alt-right movement

entremet

Ilbe users are the kind of people who refer to Korean women as “kimchi bitches.” They call Chinese people “cockroaches” and homosexual men “gay bastards.” They’re the trolls who binge-ate pizza to taunt a father on a hunger strike after he lost his child in a ferry accident that killed 325 high school students and teachers — or the ones who defaced memorial posters for the victims.

They’re known for a “deep-seated misogyny” and a hatred of immigrants and sexual minorities, and they’re waging an online war on the political left — a group they call, simply, “commies.”

But this isn’t the white supremacist “alt-right” of the U.S. — it’s a loose group of mostly digitally savvy, ultra-right-wing South Korean men. They congregate in an anonymous, 4chan-esque web forum where they can rant without social repercussions. And like in the U.S., their influence has grown rapidly in just a few short years.

Welcome to the site Ilbe Storehouse, better known as just Ilbe, the hub for South Korea’s new far-right movement. It has risen to prominence in the backdrop of South Korea’s turbulent recent history — deep political divides, a youth unemployment crisis and backlash against liberal social values.

Sound familiar?

“The [alt-right] movement is still predominantly internet-based. Yes, we’ve seen — most noticeably in Charlottesville, Virginia — the increased real-world footprint, but the internet is still their main platform,” George Hawley, author of Making Sense of the Alt-Right and an assistant professor of political science at the University of Alabama, said by phone. “Most of the people who consume this material and support these ideas are still anonymous and online, as opposed to joining political organizations.”

In the rest of the article it talks about what has driven these attitudes.

https://mic.com/articles/184477/ins...-a-powerful-new-alt-right-movement#.LX5xw1LOD

RinsFury

They congregate in an anonymous, 4chan-esque web forum where they can rant without social repercussions.

That's really the key, isn't it. It's so easy for them to spread hate and convert others to their movement when they don't have to worry about ever getting exposed. Time to start drawing back the curtain on these fucks.

Bitter sexless neckbeards are angry at the world and turn into racist cunts while using the internet to spead their hate

It's pretty universal

geestack

GxOKvFQ.png

the deep state is real in south korea

Aurongel

i remember hearing about this before

the internet was supposed to connect people across the world

instead we got this
Society and law are the underlying infrastructure that stop people from eating eachother. Removed from that and given an anonymous veil, impressionable people are easily radicalized. Social isolation and ideological radicalization is something that's been studied for a very long time yet the Internet takes that dichotomy and amplifies it.

Ah more prejudiced bigots to punch in the face.

*Ah more prejudiced bigots who are emboldened via the internet, thus punching won't stop them.

“The [alt-right] movement is still predominantly internet-based. Yes, we’ve seen — most noticeably in Charlottesville, Virginia — the increased real-world footprint, but the internet is still their main platform,” George Hawley, author of Making Sense of the Alt-Right and an assistant professor of political science at the University of Alabama, said by phone. “Most of the people who consume this material and support these ideas are still anonymous and online, as opposed to joining political organizations.”

But hey, punching them. Totally effective.

Timbuktu

"backlash against liberal social values"? I didn't think S Korea was that liberal generally. Culturally, it is still relatively conservative isn't it?

Seventy70

I remember browsing the South Korean sub-reddit once. Someone asked a polite question about tourism and the thread was just full of "Don't come here. We don't want you. Stay in your own country."

From what I observed, don't ever, and I mean ever, suggest that you might be interested in dating women of their country. They absolutely hate that.....I wonder why. Seems to be a common trait among alt-right assholes.

Internet coward fucks.

Ozigizo

Take this post, which advises others to drink nothing but coffee on a first date. “Let’s not waste money because we don’t know whether she’s a kimchi or not,” it reads.

Come on guys. I somehow doubt a good majority of them have ever been on a first date.

*Ah more prejudiced bigots who are emboldened via the internet, thus punching won't stop them.

If they come out IRL with Nazi armbands or other imagery and they get decked, I wouldn't care. They'll just keep it on the internet and be scared to front their Nazism at others which is better than being a proud Nazi in public.

Laieon

GxOKvFQ.png

the deep state is real in south korea

South Korea is only 30 something years removed from being run by dictators and/or leaders who openly massacred those who display liberal values in public, so it's not too surprising. Hell, there's still a lot of old people who love Park Gun Hye's dad.

I've lived here since 2014 and I love it here, but there's definitely a dark side. Socially a lot of Koreans are still living in the equivalent of the American 50s - men go to work, women are for cleaning, taking care of kids, and "pleasing" their man. I have a friend who's been here since '98 and he says he's just waiting for the 60s and 70s to kick off.

That being said, I do think these people are the minority. Even in the (almost) 4 years I've been here I've been seeing Koreans slowly become more liberal.

I remember browsing the South Korean sub-reddit once. Someone asked a polite question about tourism and the thread was just full of "Don't come here. We don't want you. Stay in your own country."

From what I observed, don't ever, and I mean ever, suggest that you might be interested in dating women of their country. They absolutely hate that.....I wonder why. Seems to be a common trait among alt-right assholes.

Internet coward fucks.

As someone who has been dating a South Korean girl in South Korea for 2 years now, I feel really lucky I haven't run into any issues.

And /r/Seoul is better. Not as active, but it lacks the trolls that /r/Korea brings.

Lime

What's the history of fascism in South Korea? And how generally progressive are their racial and gender and capitalist politics in mainstream discourse, culture, and law?

televator

They should go for a walk in Northern direction. They may find the ideals of the lands there more in line with their own. They can stay there.

sirap

Internet coward fucks.

This is the truth. I like to stay in University Street every now and then and you won't believe how many dirty looks are thrown my way whenever I talk to Korean women.

It can get pretty wild at night. If I wasn't big and black (for Asian standards) those drunk fucks would probably do a lot more than shout and curse.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
As usual it comes down to their frustrations with females and in turn the world.

It's crazy how sexual frustration has historically driven young men to insane conservatism around the world.

If only these dudes would stop cucking around, get their shit together and get laid we'd have universal health care and a thriving public education system.

It's crazy how sexual frustration has historically driven young men to insane conservatism around the world.

If only these dudes would stop cucking around, get their shit together and get laid we'd have universal health care and a thriving public education system.

Hell we'd still have cocaine in our Coca Cola.

I remember hearing about these guys leading a Gamergate-style hate campaign against a female pop idol for having a boyfriend.

jon bones said:

The connection really is clear as day

kess

Nostalgia is fine and dandy until you go far back enough and realize Korea was a feudal vassal state of the powers around it for hundreds of years.

Breakage

The dislike towards foreigners seems like a common thing in South Korea. It always makes me wonder how non-white people can continue to enjoy Korean entertainment when such views are widespread. It's likely that the Korean pop stars and K-drama celebs that are so idolised outside of South Korea share similar views too but just aren't so open about it.

I mean how long can people keep saying "oh they're only like that because SK is a homogeneous nation"? They are one of the most internet-connected societies in the world - can such views really be blamed on "ignorance"?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
You know, there are complex political, economical, cultural, and socio-economical factors at work for the radicalization of young men, whether it's in Korea, America, Europe, Islamic countries, etc.

...But, deep down, I wonder if it's not really that fucking simple. o_O

There's a reason why netorare is so prevalent in manhwas
I have no idea what you just said. Are those typos?

MUnited83

For you.

? Punching would be pretty effective on stopping them from trolling a grieving father or defacing victims memorials.

Zolo

You know, there are complex political, economical, cultural, and socio-economical factors at work for the radicalization of young men, whether it's in Korea, America, Europe, Islamic countries, etc.

At least for gamer gate folk who target women, yeah.

I remember hearing about these guys leading a Gamergate-style hate campaign against a female pop idol for having a boyfriend.

The connection really is clear as day
Was it as bad as when Minami Minegishi (AKB48, Japanese pop group) had to shave her head as an apology for having a boyfriend?
mini.jpg

FranF

Banned

Yeah and what if they "get their shit together" and women still don't want to fuck them? Nah, it's a woman's job to placate psychopaths with sex

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
I heard stories about anti-american flyers being passed around here in south korea. I wonder if it was them behind it.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Where is all this coming from? There are so many idiots like this that are so angry at everyone else. I've read reasons but cannot comprehend.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action

it does seem to be a big underlying conceit of every example of the history of radical conservatism: marginalize women as a top priority

Yeah and what if they "get their shit together" and women still don't want to fuck them? Nah, it's a woman's job to placate psychopaths with sex

oh no, you misunderstand. these kids are all lost causes, and i don't condone anyone sleeping with any of these dummies.

i think we raise our next generation of sons to be less shitty and take it from there.

Real talk. Instead they go and make themselves as unfuckable as humanly possible. It's the key to their political power. Inadvertent, yet voluntary celibacy.

QFT.

Top Bottom