• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How South Korea’s angry young men formed a powerful new alt-right movement

If they come out IRL with Nazi armbands or other imagery and they get decked, I wouldn't care. They'll just keep it on the internet and be scared to front their Nazism at others which is better than being a proud Nazi in public.

I mean, I'm not quite sure of that these days. In either case, there are more effective ways to stop those few public ones.

? Punching would be pretty effective on stopping them from trolling a grieving father or defacing victims memorials.

Okay, yes, probably.

Con_Smith

Banned
What's with people here always jumping straight to violence as a solution

Seems like it did just that. Some people get connected through the hatred. You can't really have the good without the bad

Peaceful solutions have worked well for black people, so I'm not sure why.

Article raises some interesting points about how unemployment and intergenerational inequality has led to this sort of behaviour.

Monocle

It's crazy how sexual frustration has historically driven young men to insane conservatism around the world.

If only these dudes would stop cucking around, get their shit together and get laid we'd have universal health care and a thriving public education system.
More or less what I came here to post. The damage that pent-up manbabies have caused in human society is beyond calculation.

Cocaloch

It's crazy how sexual frustration has historically driven young men to insane conservatism around the world.

If only these dudes would stop cucking around, get their shit together and get laid we'd have universal health care and a thriving public education system.

"Sexual Frustration", and I think a lot more goes on in a lot of these cases than just that, drives radicalism of all sorts. And it makes sense. When society tells men they need to act a certain way and have certain sorts of relationships with women, then the men who aren't able to achieve this for whatever reason will feel that society isn't working for them. When people feel society isn't working for them they will be much more prone to agitating for radical change in general.

There's a Chinese term for these sorts of people, I think it translates to something like barren twig.

Teh Lurv

Article raises some interesting points about how unemployment and intergenerational inequality has led to this sort of behaviour.

"Sexual Frustration", and I think a lot more goes on in a lot of these cases than just that, drives radicalism of all sorts. And it makes sense. When society tells men they need to act a certain way and have certain sorts of relationships with women, then the men who aren't able to achieve this for whatever reason will feel that society isn't working for them. When people feel society isn't working for them they will be much more prone to agitating for radical change in general.

There's a Chinese term for these sorts of people, I think it translates to something like barren twig.

Anyone know if there is a Chinese alt-right equivalent movement? From what I understand, youth unemployment is on the rise in China and there is gender disparity due to the One-Child policy.

Yeah, let's be clear about this. Being ugly or awkward doesn't turn you into a sexless extremist. It's the off-the-charts entitlement.

PSqueak

Banned
i remember hearing about this before

the internet was supposed to connect people across the world

instead we got this

I mean, you are surprised?

The internet allows you to connect with people who have similar interests, for some people is finding other comicbook enthusiasts, Kayaking buddies, artists with similar themes, fetishes.

For these people their interests just happens to be bigotry.

Cocaloch

Yeah, let's be clear about this. Being ugly or awkward doesn't turn you into a sexless extremist. It's the off-the-charts entitlement.

I don't think the entitlement is off-the-charts. It's the same amount of "entitlement" that these societies tell all men to have. Which is to say it tells men they have a certain social place relative to women. The key difference is that these men don't have the relationships that they are "supposed" to have.

Historically these sorts of people lacked access to women because of economic, especially in the West, or social hierarchical, especially in places with polygamy, reasons. Increasingly with liberalization and the breakdown of traditional gender roles those who no longer can form the kinds of relationships with women they not only feel like they deserve but that they are supposed to form find themselves in that situation for cultural reasons. They blame cultural change and progressive politics the same way those before blamed economic circumstances and traditional social hierarchies.

Again the issue isn't just sexual, though I have no doubt that's a part, it's related to filling a certain role in society. The perversity of sexism is that it doesn't just tell men they get to have certain relationships with women, it's that it tells them they are wrong and bad if they don't. I have a feeling this negative aspect is the more powerful of the two.

“[Ilbe is] a complex social phenomenon with many causes,” Wonjae Lee, a professor at the KAIST Graduate School of Culture and Technology in Seoul, said by phone. “Ilbe is culturally marginal but also morally marginal. They couldn’t find their place in Korean society, but the internet is a place where culturally and morally marginal people can talk about their opinions.”

We've got a huge problem when this same phenomenon is happening all over the world. Something in society has failed.

We've got a huge problem when this same phenomenon is happening all over the world. Something in society has failed.
The recession is tied hand in hand with the rise of right extremism. Anyone different from you becomes a convenient scapegoat.

What's with people here always jumping straight to violence as a solution

Seems like it did just that. Some people get connected through the hatred. You can't really have the good without the bad

You're right, I'll ask them to sit down to tea and crumpets so they can tell me how they agree with genocide and why it's the best way.

/s

Oberon

Banned
Peaceful solutions have worked well for black people, so I'm not sure why.
I am sure Black people would be much safes with guns protecting them from the police too in america. Why not punch a police officer in the face since they're so corrupt?
You're right, I'll ask them to sit down to tea and crumpets so they can tell me how they agree with genocide and why it's the best way.

/s

Punch - Agree on genocide

Wow, I never knew there was NOTHING inbetween those two things. You know who's Korean and puts people into camps? Kim jong un, why didn't someone think of punching him to make him stop being a bad person? It's so easy. Violence solves everything and there's no downsides to it if the other person is a bad.

Kthulhu

That's really the key, isn't it. It's so easy for them to spread hate and convert others to their movement when they don't have to worry about ever getting exposed. Time to start drawing back the curtain on these fucks.

I take it you have never used Facebook?

commedieu

Banned
Where is all this coming from? There are so many idiots like this that are so angry at everyone else. I've read reasons but cannot comprehend.

The wealthy have stolen everything. Generations globally are faced with fuck all prospects in life.

It's been a slow boil. But this is going to happen more and more. People are just straight unhappy and depressed. Why does any bully do anything? It's not because they're doing great! You know?

Advice to just "get a life" isn't really applicable here. Many folks lives have been taken from them, we'll potential lives. Globalization, super corporations killing economies. You're just not really in a place to be successful as generations previous. All the goals of having a happy and successful life are dwindling down.

I don't support any of these dipshits. But much like terrorists, I try to understand what's going on here. Because this is getting to be the new normal.

The easiest outlet is to punch down. That's what we are seeing. Because the wealthy control the guns and forces. Punching up is suicide. I just wish we could all figure out what the real issue is, and start taking the power back. But they are so good at manipulating the masses to blame your neighbor.

Lime

Where is all this coming from? There are so many idiots like this that are so angry at everyone else. I've read reasons but cannot comprehend.

Remember when women and other targets of harassment were yelling and screaming about how dangerous and extreme segments of men had become? And how so many apathetic people were just standing on the sidelines and having no clue about what was going on, so instead they preferred silence and order rather than peace and justice by telling victims to shut up and 'both sides'?

Well, the people who were the targets of terrorism were the canaray in the coalmine and unaffected people didn't want to listen and here we are so many years after.

Was it as bad as when Minami Minegishi (AKB48, Japanese pop group) had to shave her head as an apology for having a boyfriend?

Did it on her own is the actual story, why this keeps being changed is beyond me, despite it being like... 4 years ago. I know its more interesting the other way though.

I remember browsing the South Korean sub-reddit once. Someone asked a polite question about tourism and the thread was just full of "Don't come here. We don't want you. Stay in your own country."

From what I observed, don't ever, and I mean ever, suggest that you might be interested in dating women of their country. They absolutely hate that.....I wonder why. Seems to be a common trait among alt-right assholes.

Internet coward fucks.

The sub-reddit for South Korea consists of like 95% foreigners in Korea. Those probably weren't Korean people saying that, reddit isn't really a thing in Korea.

Did it on her own is the actual story, why this keeps being changed is beyond me, despite it being like... 4 years ago. I know its more interesting the other way though.

Ehhhhh.... that's the official story but I would be really really surprised if she wasn't coerced or even forced into it by some asshole manager.

bionic77

Why are young men so angry these days?

And why is this fascist nonsense a popular ideology for them to latch on to?

smisk

This and lack of economic opportunity (the two are linked I guess) seem to be the biggest drivers towards extremism, even in the middle east.

Fyrion

A bunch of rejects and human debris forming a hatemonger blob. Ironically, they represent every trait which fits with the 'beta-male' archetype they despise so much.

Randomizer

The raise of the alt-right in online youth culture is a difficult and interesting sociological and political issue. Most of it appears to borne out of social alienation & ignorance, leading to a warped sense of entitlement, a hatred of others, unwarranted sense of superiority and a victim complex when criticised. There is also the edgeiness factor. It's very easy to troll by saying something disgustingly racist and bigoted for reaction. It's like a perfect storm of problematic issues.

People's first reaction is to obviously attack them and ignore them because they are a bunch of racist, bigoted pieces of shit. But if the core of the issue is not examined more closely & the more they feel a push back, the larger their movement will become. I fear for the future that such a movement is gaining traction across the world. The youth is historically left leaning and thankfully for the majority that is still the case but the alt-right is growing and has no signs that it's going away anytime soon.

This and lack of economic opportunity (the two are linked I guess) seem to be the biggest drivers towards extremism, even in the middle east.

This isn't a valid set of facts. The shear number of college educated psychopaths from well-off families in groups like ISIS or AQ tells us that economics isn't the driving factor for these fuckers.

Bin Laden came from a family of billionaires. Zawahiri was a medical doctor. Al Baghdadi is college educated as well. Most of these animals were on the upper rungs of their respective nations.

PInk Tape

Banned
I remember watching a short documentary from Al Jazeera (if I remember correctly) that talked about the gender disparity in SK and it mentioned this movement.

The one moment I can't forget is the guy who led one of the anti-feminist talk groups (he was memorable) because his wife was supporting both of them financially while he wasn't contributing anything at all.

Wow, I never knew there was NOTHING inbetween those two things. You know who's Korean and puts people into camps? Kim jong un, why didn't someone think of punching him to make him stop being a bad person? It's so easy. Violence solves everything and there's no downsides to it if the other person is a bad.

I mean it's not like diplomacy has done anything to curve his behavior at all this past decade. Him getting his ass beat probably would be waaay more effective.

This is the truth. I like to stay in University Street every now and then and you won't believe how many dirty looks are thrown my way whenever I talk to Korean women.

It can get pretty wild at night. If I wasn't big and black (for Asian standards) those drunk fucks would probably do a lot more than shout and curse.

What does this mean?

This is the deal. Damn. Good shit.

Rayis

Why is it always young men and why do they always target people who have nothing to do with their problems? Besides, a lot of those people they hate are going through similar problems as them. No sympathy for bigots of any nationality.

watershed

Banned
It's always angry young men with deep seeded frustrations who are incapable of introspection and instead must vent their anger outward.

qcf x2

Ugh i miss the time, when internet rebels were anarchists, not a bunch of neo nazi assholes.

Ironically, anonymity is quite possibly the biggest facilitator of these groups, which often start as troll/counterculture (literally counter everything politically correct) then turn into actual belief systems. The literal ability to say whatever they want, free of governmental control leads to echo chambers full of dysfunctional people. And then more "casual trolls" have a peek and find themselves right at home, and so on.

This is to say that it's probably a natural consequence of the relative anarchism of the digital era. There were opportunities in the earlier days of the internet to promote positive and productive usage of the internet, but that ship sailed into the abyss when everybody decided it was more fun sharing weird memes, trolling and only engaging in discourse with like-minded folks.

It is too late, and there will be more of these loser groups all over the globe.

Top Bottom