• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How to deal with Alt+Right employees?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calamari41

41 > 38
But this shit is so damn politically intricate. A lot of people don't follow politics at all, and don't want to/don't have to. Not only that, it's all debatable, and not set in stone. Lots of people disagree, and both sides think the other side is wrong. Who's the end all be all decider of what's meant to be sexist/racist/bigoted, or offensive enough to be fired over?

Whoever sits on the labor board decides, and don't think for a minute that precedent won't be used when such boards are full of Trump supporters.

That should depend on how they express their support. If they're all about fiscal conservatism or gun rights, who cares. If they have a problem working with minorities because them rapists are taking our jerbs, out with them.

This is obvious and goes beyond party ideology. Anyone espousing discriminatory sentiments would be let go.

But just insinuating that that's their position because they're Republicans and firing them is what it originally sounded like and I'd disagree with that approach.

Oh, so you mean he would go down the hall and say "Hi, Bob. Morning, Jim. Hello, Female." That's quite a bit different than what came across before.

Like, I remember one night he hung up from a call and another coworker (who is a woman) asked who the call was from because it sounded important. His answer was simply "a female." When prompt for further information he just put his headphones on and ignored her to resume watching his Anime. She wasn't even asking for a name, she was curious about the department to know if something was going on and he wouldn't even give her that.

JJH

american-psycho-nah.gif

This is how.

Lkr

I was always taught religion and politics are 2 things you don't discuss outide of your home. Doing so can make you look differently at people who you consider friends.
Yep keep it with your real friends/family. You're forced to work with people you don't like, don't talk to them about this type of shit. It's not worth it otherwise you're gonna want to quit every job you ever have.

mcfrank

So I just got into a conversation with two of my employees that are trump supporters and while I have an issue with that it's not what bother me the most. When racism was brought up I mentioned that trump never disavowed the KKK and talked about the negativity it brings, they went straight to how "at least he doesn't condone and encourage the killing of cops."

Seriously WTF!? I had to walk away at this point. I don't know what else to say/do. Just mentioned that I won't bring up politics with them anymore.

I don't talk about politics with my employees. There is absolutely nothing good that will come of it.

Zelias

Banned
Don't discuss politics in the workplace, it rarely leads anywhere good.

If you're the boss, foster a positive, inclusive atmosphere of diversity. If some employees don't like that, tbey're free to find another job.

Take action against the employees if they're openly bigoted or toxic in a way that affects the business... but support for Trump alone doesn't really justify firing.

But this shit is so damn politically intricate. A lot of people don't follow politics at all, and don't want to/don't have to. Not only that, it's all debatable, and not set in stone. Lots of people disagree, and both sides think the other side is wrong. Who's the end all be all decider of what's meant to be sexist/racist/bigoted, or offensive enough to be fired over?

I don't care whether people disagree. If a person can use the term "men/man" distinct from "male" but are unable to even afford the same consistency with "women/woman" and "female" then they are automatically suspect as holding sexist views whether they're conscious or not. If they're at least consistent in their obnoxious lexicon than that's slightly different. But I've yet to encounter an individual who says "to the males and females".

Ugh. I said I wasn't going to derail with this and here I am doing it.

Biske

Yeah as people have said, talking politics at work is a great way for things to go shitty and make you hate everyone you work with.

Even a nice fairly breezy casual conversation and end up going awry.

The best you can do is lead by example and in times they will learn to see you and respect you and become better people themselves.

Also these fucks are about to become disappointed and disillusioned as hell.

Donald Trump is their president dude.

This man can and will disappoint anyone and everyone.

Ignore them and work.

Polite banter is one thing, but I don't have the time or energy to talk serious conversations with co-workers. And really, I usually don't want to. I come to work to make money, not make friends. That comes off as super-jerky, but it isn't like I hate these people, and I like quite a few of them, but I have to deal with them every day, so it is more beneficial to all parties to be curt and polite and just get shit done.

The quicker I get stuff moved and handle problems, the more money everyone makes. I can then take that money and go hang out with the people that I choose to hang out with, rather than those I tolerate to make that paycheck.

So the quick solution is, don't care about what he thinks, and get crackin' at what you came there to do. Make the money.

Fire them. Use some other reason to fire them or to give them home office. Like you said, that kind of thinking is toxic and with the current landscape it will be even worse.

We all talk profesionalism and all that and it's great. But I bet you are not going to see these 2 employees in the same way anymore.

......I don't know if I'm kidding anymore.

Lkr

If they are ACTUAL Alt-Right Trumpskis, then you have to stop talking to them as though you are trying to reason with them.

Alt-Right think very primitively, so when you try to reason with them that just emboldens them to continue being assholes. If you want to actually make them stop, you have to match tit for tat and just talk to them with no respect whatsoever. Start saying shit like:

"You're a fucking idiot for believing in such dumbass conspiracy theories."

"Stop being such a whiney pussy every time black people protest. They have a right to protest and if you can't handle that then go move to Russia."

"Sorry asshole, but America is not your personal safe space from black and brown people."

"I'm sorry but it's hard to understand you when your mouth is stuffed with Trump's dick. I get that it's probably orange but you don't need to treat it like a fucking lollipop."

Things like that will defang them because it hurts them in their own shitty "language".

And when they inevitably complain about you talking to them in such a way, just respond with "I thought you dumbasses hated political correctness. Or does that only apply when it's you bitching about minorities like a fucking idiot?"
I wouldn't do this at work but I do it with people I know outside of work that post shit on social media or say it out loud. They're literally manchilden bullying and throwing fits because they never learned how to be social. When they don't listen to reason I see no reason not to take the kid gloves off.

Yeah as people have said, talking politics at work is a great way for things to go shitty and make you hate everyone you work with.

This. Here are some gems from various jobs over the years that got me to the point of just going to work, doing my job, and going the fuck home:

- "Slavery was a good thing in the long run, at least you're here. Would you like to be living in Africa? Yikes!"

- "She shouldn't be drinking late at night!" This was in response to a discussion on a news article about a woman being gang raped.

- "Get over slavery it happened centuries ago"

- "You don't sound Black"

- "I'm Blacker than you" (spoken by some dude that thought listening to hip hop and sagging his pants made him Black. Annoying fuck)

- "Rape never happened during slavery because Whites considered Black like animals and that would have been beastiality"

- "Your people should stop complaining because my people were oppressed worse!"

- Drawing a noose on a whiteboard (the irony) causing my coworker to quit. She couldn't take the shit or the excuses.

- Randomly wanting to talk to me every fucking time there's a news story about Black people shit in the news.

Work = Headphones.

Calamari41

41 > 38
If they are ACTUAL Alt-Right Trumpskis, then you have to stop talking to them as though you are trying to reason with them.

Alt-Right think very primitively, so when you try to reason with them that just emboldens them to continue being assholes. If you want to actually make them stop, you have to match tit for tat and just talk to them with no respect whatsoever. Start saying shit like:

"You're a fucking idiot for believing in such dumbass conspiracy theories."

"Stop being such a whiney pussy every time black people protest. They have a right to protest and if you can't handle that then go move to Russia."

"Sorry asshole, but America is not your personal safe space from black and brown people."

"I'm sorry but it's hard to understand you when your mouth is stuffed with Trump's dick. I get that it's probably orange but you don't need to treat it like a fucking lollipop."

Things like that will defang them because it hurts them in their own shitty "language".

And when they inevitably complain about you talking to them in such a way, just respond with "I thought you dumbasses hated political correctness. Or does that only apply when it's you bitching about minorities like a fucking idiot?"

Yeah, talking like this in response to what we saw in the OP will get you fired.

Aselith

Don't fire them but write their names down and they never get promoted. You don't need people like that leading your company.

Do you have a separate HR department that is going to wonder why you're having political debates with your subordinates? Are these guys going to tell HR that you're giving them a hard time because of their politics?

Wait until Trump repeals Obamacare, Medicaid expansion and social welfare programs.

Fire them. Find a reason.

Call them a few months later and ask them how it's going.

Fitts

Three things I don't discuss while on the clock:

-religion
-personal finances
-politics

It has served me pretty well so far.

ChryZ

1st step: don't use their cute branding "alt-right", call them what they are: NEO NAZIS. This will make the 2nd step easier: fire them.

Haunted

don't talk politics at work

don't talk about religion at work

don't screw the crew

golden rules for any office environment

So I just got into a conversation with two of my employees that are trump supporters and while I have an issue with that it's not what bother me the most. When racism was brought up I mentioned that trump never disavowed the KKK and talked about the negativity it brings, they went straight to how "at least he doesn't condone and encourage the killing of cops."

Seriously WTF!? I had to walk away at this point. I don't know what else to say/do. Just mentioned that I won't bring up politics with them anymore.

Maybe stop spouting nonsense like "Trump didnt disavow the kkk" when he clearly did, just not on that specific show with jake tapper when he didnt understand what the hell tapper was asking him about david duke.

Something's wrong with you.

Seriously.

You seem awfully offended over something that's only slightly inaccurate.

Maybe stop spouting nonsense like "Trump didnt disavow the kkk" when he clearly did, just not on that specific show with jake tapper when he didnt understand what the hell tapper was asking him about david duke.

He did know, though. He met David Duke before and knew what the KKK is. He was playing dumb and you fell for it.

This. Here are some gems from various jobs over the years that got me to the point of just going to work, doing my job, and going the fuck home:

- "Slavery was a good thing in the long run, at least you're here. Would you like to be living in Africa? Yikes!"

- "She shouldn't be drinking late at night!" This was in response to a discussion on a news article about a woman being gang raped.

- "Get over slavery it happened centuries ago"

- "You don't sound Black"

- "I'm Blacker than you" (spoken by some dude that thought listening to hip hop and sagging his pants made him Black. Annoying fuck)

- "Rape never happened during slavery because Whites considered Black like animals and that would have been beastiality"

- "Your people should stop complaining because my people were oppressed worse!"

- Drawing a noose on a whiteboard (the irony) causing my coworker to quit. She couldn't take the shit or the excuses.

- Randomly wanting to talk to me every fucking time there's a news story about Black people shit in the news.

Work = Headphones.

Uh where the fuck do you work where conversations like this seem to be a recurring theme?

In regard to the OP and some others commenting on here. Firing somebody for their political standpoint is pretty dumb
Unless its totally off the wall and disrupts work
. Also you'd have to be very comfortable with the idea that if your boss was a conservative that they would fire you for being a liberal.

OP, dont talk politics at work. Period.

Do you have a separate HR department that is going to wonder why you're having political debates with your subordinates? Are these guys going to tell HR that you're giving them a hard time because of their politics?
Especially when he's wrong

Like, I remember one night he hung up from a call and another coworker (who is a woman) asked who the call was from because it sounded important. His answer was simply "a female." When prompt for further information he just put his headphones on and ignored her to resume watching his Anime. She wasn't even asking for a name, she was curious about the department to know if something was going on and he wouldn't even give her that.

Sounds like a real monster

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I don't think you're describing alt-right employees, I think you're describing Republican employees. The standard position of the Republican party since well before Trump was that Cops are great and protesting is bad (especially when it is "thugs" "rioting"). During the Bell Curve, the standard Republican position was that the book was both scientifically accurate and useful for determining social policy. Jesse Helms existed. Since BLM, the standard Republican position has been "Blue Lives Matter and All Lives Matter". The Republican party has been, since the 1960s, racially conservative. And since at least the 1980s the Republican party has been against what they perceive as the excesses of modern feminism, and "political correctness". If you check public opinion polls on cops/BLM/protests against police brutality, you will see how it basically 1:1 lines up with race and party. And if the question is "I find Republican views abhorrent, how do I make my employees not be Republican?" I think you will probably find that's a losing battle.

I think it's important to keep some daylight between the Republican Party and the alt-right because, first off, the former is large and the latter is small and I think it's actually possible to combat the latter; second, because the willingness to use apocalyptic language to refer to your opponents means you have nowhere to go when the real apocalypse comes along. By that I mean that many Republicans wrote off criticisms of Trump as unqualified, extreme, or unsuitable for office because those same criticisms were made against Romney and McCain and Bush and Dole and Bush and Reagan and... Not necessarily to the same degree of course, but an acknowledgement that there are different degrees and reserving the harshest criticism for the worst abuses is an important part of the arguments sounding credible to moderates on the other side.

If your employees "ironically" dress up as Nazis, spam pepes, write "The God Emperor is Going To Gas You" on a Jewish employee's locker, talk constantly about race realism and race traitors and a white country, say openly racist things about the appearance of others, etc. then you are in a space where it's both easier for you to take action and more accurate to characterize them as alt-right. And the answer with how to deal with someone doing this kind of stuff is to summarily fire them. Abuse and harassment in the workplace can't be tolerated at all.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
If one of my employees is a tea drinking liberal, a flag wearing republican or a snake dancing railroad building Libertopian, good for them. If one of my employees is racist or misogynistic or harassing people at work, regardless of political stripe, they have a one way trip to the principal's office.

Fire them.

Chill, I'm kidding

Fire them.

Not even remotely legal in the US. And a good way to get sued into the next century to boot.

OP, don't talk politics in the office. It's always bad news and leads to problems. If you don't like their political views, suck it up and don't mention it again.

Dude Abides

Banned
Not even remotely legal in the US. And a good way to get sued into the next century to boot.

This is not even remotely true in most jurisdictions in the US. You can usually be fired for your political beliefs, particularly if you make political comments in the workplace, and your suit will go nowhere.

guek

Banned
If you can be friends with them in other areas, befriend them and try talking to them over important issues over an extended period of time. This has been shown to be the most effective method of changing people's minds.

If they're insufferable asshats all around or you can't be bothered to befriend them, just correct them when they're wrong and ignore everything else. Don't get drawn into emotional shouting matches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom