• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How to deal with Alt+Right employees?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Uh where the fuck do you work where conversations like this seem to be a recurring theme?

In regard to the OP and some others commenting on here. Firing somebody for their political standpoint is pretty dumb
Unless its totally off the wall and disrupts work
. Also you'd have to be very comfortable with the idea that if your boss was a conservative that they would fire you for being a liberal.

OP, dont talk politics at work. Period.

From retail to corporate. Many different jobs. Different companies.

This. Here are some gems from various jobs over the years that got me to the point of just going to work, doing my job, and going the fuck home:

- "Slavery was a good thing in the long run, at least you're here. Would you like to be living in Africa? Yikes!"

- "She shouldn't be drinking late at night!" This was in response to a discussion on a news article about a woman being gang raped.

- "Get over slavery it happened centuries ago"

- "You don't sound Black"

- "I'm Blacker than you" (spoken by some dude that thought listening to hip hop and sagging his pants made him Black. Annoying fuck)

- "Rape never happened during slavery because Whites considered Black like animals and that would have been beastiality"

- "Your people should stop complaining because my people were oppressed worse!"

- Drawing a noose on a whiteboard (the irony) causing my coworker to quit. She couldn't take the shit or the excuses.

- Randomly wanting to talk to me every fucking time there's a news story about Black people shit in the news.

Work = Headphones.

HOLY SHIT!!!

I would've been jailed for some that shit said to me(and unfortunately proving their point)

I currently worrk where like 90% of my co-workers are minorities/immigrants; we be on our "fuck trump" mode all day everyday!!!

mackattk

Cut their pay in half and tell them trump approved it.

Or just call them out for the deflection.

If you are going to do it the Trump way, just tell them that they did the work, but it wasn't to his standards so he will only pay them half. Then give yourself a huge fucking bonus at the end of the year because your department was underbudget.

This. Here are some gems from various jobs over the years that got me to the point of just going to work, doing my job, and going the fuck home:

- "Slavery was a good thing in the long run, at least you're here. Would you like to be living in Africa? Yikes!"

- "She shouldn't be drinking late at night!" This was in response to a discussion on a news article about a woman being gang raped.

- "I'm Blacker than you" (spoken by some dude that thought listening to hip hop and sagging his pants made him Black. Annoying fuck)

- "Rape never happened during slavery because Whites considered Black like animals and that would have been beastiality"

- Drawing a noose on a whiteboard (the irony) causing my coworker to quit. She couldn't take the shit or the excuses.

- Randomly wanting to talk to me every fucking time there's a news story about Black people shit in the news.

Work = Headphones.

Sweet Jesus!!! Seriously, I have no words... that's insane.

whats wrong with this?

Broadly speaking, because America can be fucking wackadoodle in its politics, it's an unfortunate truth that people who you consider to be good people in terms of their interpersonal behavior in daily life may have political or religious views that clash with your own, even on a fundamental level. I don't think there's anything wrong with people who choose to excise politics from how they curate their personal lives, if their definition of politics doesn't include posting on CoonTown about how all the "dindus" are just too stupid or something comparably egregious.

More or less my stance on it. Though I despise their fiscal policy as well. If they act on their hate, out with them. We have harassment policies for a reason.

If you define just having voted for Trump as a form of harassment (which your initial post seemed to indicate), well, I'm definitely glad very few people with your take on the world are in hiring/firing positions.

Unless they're shoving racist/sexist/etc. crap down your throat or its bleeding into their work you don't "deal" with them. You do your job and move on with your life.

The same way they tolerate "liberals" at work. Don't talk politics. Don't try to "deal" with people, you're not their superior .. despite what you may think.

zoukka

Actually, don't speak about politics or religion anywhere except in private with people you trust unless you want to open a can of worm. Not worth it. You won't change them and you don't want to have a headache because of people like them.

Then again, nothing will ever change with a mentality like this.

Hire minorities and make them work with them. Force them into an environment that requires them to let go of their bigotry, or else risk professional continuity.

BajiBoxer

Banned

Work = Headphones.

Some things I've heard in the work place:
- "That's a fine piece of afroengineering."
- An in depth explanation of how blacks are great athletes due to old slave breeding programs.
- "I hate that stupid fucking bitch, Clinton!"
- Complaining about the bumber of muslims shopping during the holidays, and disgust that we let "those people" into the country.
- The first guy from the first quote got mad about another guy using the n-word, and went to HR. No action was taken.
- "I hate that black bitch", a comment from a co-worker about the HR manager. Reported to the HR manager by someone else, but no action was taken.
- When told there was an Indian customer who needed assistence, the associate asked "the woo woo kind, or the dot kind?"
- "It's an invasion!", a comment from a chasier when a small group of muslim women came into the store.

Then there's all the bigoted conspiracy theories heard on Hannity, Limbaugh, Beck, their pastor, and so on.

I mostly handle it with a dirty look and walk away. Not sure what else to do.

Work = Headphones.
Man...
giphy.gif

RedAssedApe

Banned
don't talk about politics at work.

if people are making remarks that are blatantly offensive report them to HR (i know most people won't do this as they don't want to rock the boat)

in that case just don't associate with these people unless you need to for work purposes

:shrugs:

it is what is is unfortunately.

Sunster

Last week a coworker was talking about how his Irish immigrant ancestors had it worse than black slaves because "slaves at least had a monetary value. The Irish had no value." I honestly did not know what to do. I wanted to say something but, I just kinda walked away, dumbfounded.

Seems odd, as a Californian. So I could draw up termination papers for someone and, in the "reason for termination" box, put "We found out that s/he voted for Hillary Clinton?"

No.
California has protection for that. Only California, New York, and D.C. have that protection.

It sure is legal in the other 48 states.

JP_

Banned
The cowardly "don't talk about politics" approach is partly how we got to this point. Real people suffer because too many people think they're being polite or want to avoid confrontation.

TBiddy

The cowardly "don't talk about politics" approach is partly how we got to this point. Real people suffer because too many people think they're being polite or want to avoid confrontation.

You're employed to do a job, not talk politics or get into arguments with co-workers. I can't see how that is "cowardly."

I don't understand the issue here. If someone says something offensive at work most companies have a mechanism for reporting such behaviour, and most bigger companies will already have policies to address hate speech. If it's a case of a disagreement over politics and nothing outright offensive has been said, shut up and get on with your job and avoid such subjects in future.

Deepwater

Depending on what type of business you work for (and if it's a right to work state), you could just terminate them for not fitting in with the business culture.

Not that I'm suggesting this, could cause unnecessary tension at your office. But if you live in a right-to-work state you could very well fire them if you have that authority.

Ogodei

This is wrong. Where are people getting this stuff?

Protected classes being race, religion, gender, age, national origin, and "creed." I thought political beliefs fell under "creed," being a sincerely held personal belief which does not qualify as religious, which is a political belief, no?

Or am i confusing that creed thing with something else.

junpei

You're employed to do a job, not talk politics or get into arguments with co-workers. I can't see how that is "cowardly."

That logic is kinda dangerous. Ray Charles was paid to play music at serrated shows . Should he have just shut up and played ?

Or different people weigh people's contributions to society in different ways depending on their background and experience.

That logic is kinda dangerous. Ray Charles was paid to play music at serrated shows . Should he have just shut up and played ?

Well, there's obviously a difference between standing on a stage performing and sitting at a desk in an office space...

OP you could have gotten that response from a lefty that just didn't buy Clinton's rebranding

seems like a huge misstep to start labeling people based on how they react to one thing u said. also imo debating political talking points is a no-no for a harmonious work environment.

how would you like it if people automatically thought you were a radical liberal? tolerance got to start with YOU.

I don't think you're describing alt-right employees, I think you're describing Republican employees. The standard position of the Republican party since well before Trump was that Cops are great and protesting is bad (especially when it is "thugs" "rioting"). During the Bell Curve, the standard Republican position was that the book was both scientifically accurate and useful for determining social policy. Jesse Helms existed. Since BLM, the standard Republican position has been "Blue Lives Matter and All Lives Matter". The Republican party has been, since the 1960s, racially conservative. And since at least the 1980s the Republican party has been against what they perceive as the excesses of modern feminism, and "political correctness". If you check public opinion polls on cops/BLM/protests against police brutality, you will see how it basically 1:1 lines up with race and party. And if the question is "I find Republican views abhorrent, how do I make my employees not be Republican?" I think you will probably find that's a losing battle.

I think it's important to keep some daylight between the Republican Party and the alt-right because, first off, the former is large and the latter is small and I think it's actually possible to combat the latter; second, because the willingness to use apocalyptic language to refer to your opponents means you have nowhere to go when the real apocalypse comes along. By that I mean that many Republicans wrote off criticisms of Trump as unqualified, extreme, or unsuitable for office because those same criticisms were made against Romney and McCain and Bush and Dole and Bush and Reagan and... Not necessarily to the same degree of course, but an acknowledgement that there are different degrees and reserving the harshest criticism for the worst abuses is an important part of the arguments sounding credible to moderates on the other side.

If your employees "ironically" dress up as Nazis, spam pepes, write "The God Emperor is Going To Gas You" on a Jewish employee's locker, talk constantly about race realism and race traitors and a white country, say openly racist things about the appearance of others, etc. then you are in a space where it's both easier for you to take action and more accurate to characterize them as alt-right. And the answer with how to deal with someone doing this kind of stuff is to summarily fire them. Abuse and harassment in the workplace can't be tolerated at all.

You. I like you.

Don't talk politics.
Don't talk finances/compensation openly other than with your boss/Payroll
Don't talk religion.

rjinaz

OP you could have gotten that response from a lefty that just didn't buy Clinton's rebranding

seems like a huge misstep to start labeling people based on how they react to one thing u said. also imo debating political talking points is a no-no for a harmonious work environment.

how would you like it if people automatically thought you were a radical liberal? tolerance got to start with YOU.

Who cares if they are Left or Right when they say stupid shit like in the OP? They are still shitty people.

That said, and as others have said, politics and work don't mix.

Dude Abides

Banned
Protected classes being race, religion, gender, age, national origin, and "creed." I thought political beliefs fell under "creed," being a sincerely held personal belief which does not qualify as religious, which is a political belief, no?

Or am i confusing that creed thing with something else.

The federal anti discrimination in employment statute (title vii of the 1964 civil rights act) says nothing about "creed".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom