• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How to deal with Alt+Right employees?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I just got into a conversation with two of my employees that are trump supporters and while I have an issue with that it's not what bother me the most. When racism was brought up I mentioned that trump never disavowed the KKK and talked about the negativity it brings, they went straight to how "at least he doesn't condone and encourage the killing of cops."

Seriously WTF!? I had to walk away at this point. I don't know what else to say/do. Just mentioned that I won't bring up politics with them anymore.

Why are you talking politics in the workplace? Never do it.

Trump has said a lot of wild things, but I'm having difficulty recalling when he said he was in favor of killing cops.

I might be mistaken.

Not really sure what you're saying though - are you comparing him to someone who has endorsed the killing of cops? If so, who? Or is this just an odd defense, as though to say "he's done bad things but at least he hasn't done this even worse thing!"

Don't talk politics at work or on social media. It's not worth it. You have too much to lose and literally nothing to gain. I have never seen a political argument on FB that ended with "Your posts have changed my mind. I agree with you now"

Not really sure what you're saying though - are you comparing him to someone who has endorsed the killing of cops? If so, who? Or is this just an odd defense, as though to say "he's done bad things but at least he hasn't done this even worse thing!"

I haven't made any comparisons. Just pointing out that what the employee is quoted as saying isn't technically wrong. It is amusing to see how many people have difficulty with that premise though.

Anyway, all of this could have been avoided had OP acted like a boss.

tfur

So I just got into a conversation with two of my employees that are trump supporters and while I have an issue with that it's not what bother me the most. When racism was brought up I mentioned that trump never disavowed the KKK and talked about the negativity it brings, they went straight to how "at least he doesn't condone and encourage the killing of cops."

Seriously WTF!? I had to walk away at this point. I don't know what else to say/do. Just mentioned that I won't bring up politics with them anymore.

I googled it to see this article from CNN:
search phrase: "did trump not disavow kkk"

Trump denounces David Duke, KKK
http://www.cnn.com/2016/03/03/politics/donald-trump-disavows-david-duke-kkk/

Oddly enough, that article does not "come up" with my Yahoo search with the exact same search string. The search in Private mode, did not immediately show the CNN article, the search of Yahoo in normal mode did show the article at the top.

Chrome both logged in and incognito placed that article at the top.

Removing the "not" ("did trump disavow kkk") places it at the top of both Google and Yahoo, but still not DuckDuckGo

Also, you should probably not talk politics or religion at work.

If they are ACTUAL Alt-Right Trumpskis, then you have to stop talking to them as though you are trying to reason with them.

Alt-Right think very primitively, so when you try to reason with them that just emboldens them to continue being assholes. If you want to actually make them stop, you have to match tit for tat and just talk to them with no respect whatsoever. Start saying shit like:

"You're a fucking idiot for believing in such dumbass conspiracy theories."

"Stop being such a whiney pussy every time black people protest. They have a right to protest and if you can't handle that then go move to Russia."

"Sorry asshole, but America is not your personal safe space from black and brown people."

"I'm sorry but it's hard to understand you when your mouth is stuffed with Trump's dick. I get that it's probably orange but you don't need to treat it like a fucking lollipop."

Things like that will defang them because it hurts them in their own shitty "language".

And when they inevitably complain about you talking to them in such a way, just respond with "I thought you dumbasses hated political correctness. Or does that only apply when it's you bitching about minorities like a fucking idiot?"

I am more conservative leaning, but not that far, I wish I could say half of this to my father-in-law without upsetting my wife. lol

Sunster

Don't talk politics at work or on social media. It's not worth it. You have too much to lose and literally nothing to gain. I have never seen a political argument on FB that ended with "Your posts have changed my mind. I agree with you now"

On forums like this and places like Tumblr I've read arguments that have changed my mind. On fb, never.

You can't fire people for their viewpoints. As long as they do their job, they can be garbage people as soon as they leave. I know a lot of GAF are (rightfully) upset that Trump won,but you can't take it out on everyone of his supporters you meet. Firing or harming people because they made a (bad) political choice is childish. Way too many gaf members feverishly get off to the idea of inflicting hardship on trump supporters in revenge,and it's kinda childish.

Protected classes being race, religion, gender, age, national origin, and "creed." I thought political beliefs fell under "creed," being a sincerely held personal belief which does not qualify as religious, which is a political belief, no?

Or am i confusing that creed thing with something else.

There is no creed.

Like I said political beliefs are not protected by FEDERAL law.
Only CA, NY, and D.C. have protections.

You can't fire people for their viewpoints. As long as they do their job, they can be garbage people as soon as they leave. I know a lot of GAF are (rightfully) upset that Trump won,but you can't take it out on everyone of his supporters you meet. Firing or harming people because they made a (bad) political choice is childish. Way too many gaf members feverishly get off to the idea of inflicting hardship on trump supporters in revenge,and it's kinda childish.

Yes, you can fire them. Look up right to work states.

If they bring up hateful rhetoric on the regular complete unprovoked then you need to let them go.

They're creating a hostile work environment and that is a huge legal liability.

But if they keep their opinions to themselves unless asked then just leave them alone.

There is no creed.

Like I said political beliefs are not protected by FEDERAL law.
Only CA, NY, and D.C. have protections.

Yes, you can fire them. Look up right to work states.
So conversely, a Trump supporter could fire a Clinton voter for their political beliefs. And a Clinton voter could fire someone for voting for Bernie or not voting in the main election? And it's all legal?

You can't fire people for their viewpoints.

Uhh. Yeah you can, and in most cases it's something you should do as its better for business.

If you have an employee who is constantly ranting either at work or on social media about how black people are all criminals, lgbt people are pedophiles, Muslims are terrorizts, and women are inferior to men, then you need to let them go as simply ignoring it and saying "Well that's just their opinion" is going to end with your company getting taken to the cleaners by an inevitable discrimination lawsuit.

Uhh. Yeah you can, and in most cases it's something you should do as its better for business.

If you have an employee who is constantly ranting either at work or on social media about how black people are all criminals, lgbt people are pedophiles, Muslims are terrorizts, and women are inferior to men, then you need to let them go as simply ignoring it and saying "Well that's just their opinion" is going to end with your company getting taken to the cleaners by an inevitable discrimination lawsuit.
What did the guys in the OP say that was particularly offensive? In fact, didn't OP bring up points with the intention of baiting them into saying something dumb? If a guy at my job is actively ranting about how the Jews are going to take over with the banks, of course he should be fired. But standard white conservative views shared with 1/2 the country isn't a reason to fire someone. Their viewpoints are garbage but not outwardly offensive

Deepwater

So conversely, a Trump supporter could fire a Clinton voter for their political beliefs. And a Clinton voter could fire someone for voting for Bernie or not voting in the main election? And it's all legal?

People can be terminated from employment for just about any reason that doesn't fall under a protected class covered by the EEOC. So, in effect, yes you can be terminated for political opinions , but that won't be the reason you're given when you're given the pink slip.

I've seen people get fired for petty disagreements with their supervisors. Depending on the state you work in, you can be let go for almost anything.

All I talk about at work is sports, tv shows/movies, and work. Any other subject is off limits to me. Even personal life stuff because that's just opening the door to other things I don't want to know about.

Degen

Politics/religion at work? NEVER be that guy, no matter how "right" you think you are

You can actually get in trouble with some employers for that, if someone happens to report you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom