• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How to get rid of Spiders in bed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scary thought, read at your own risk :

I remember reading about these spiders in Australia that like to build these little huts in high places. Like, on ceilings and above door frames, and they swoop down and bite/attack their prey whenever they walk under them.

Any Aussies here know what I'm talking about? I can't remember the name, but they seemed rather prevalent.

ZROCOOL

aka II VerTigo II
WTF @ BlueTsunami pic!!!!

Topic: Call the Exterminator before they make babies with your GF

edit-- OMGWTF @ most of the pics posted

Sibylus

Banned
HL2Poisoncrab.jpg

Why are they so scary?

BECAUSE THEY ACT LIKE SPIDERS AND FUCK SPIDERS THAT'S WHY

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
1:Make sure the bed is on a stand of some sort and not directly on the ground.

2:Make sure the bed is at least an inch or 2 from the wall/any furnishings.

3:put a shit ton of sticky spider trap paper underneath the bed.

4:Make sure there are no dirty clothes laying on the floor ever.

5:Hope that your house isn't infested with jumping spiders that are more poisonous than black widows (if you live in certain places it probably is!)

6: Don't kill any spiders by crushing them. It releases pheremones that attract tons of other spiders to the area and when they come they're in full on mating/aggressive mode.

7:If you douse certain large house spiders in alcohol, then spray windex on them, a purple liquid oozes out of the spiders body. These are the pheremones reacting to the chemicals, test it out in the sink. These are the types of spiders you don't want to kill by crushing.

8:If a large spider is on the ceiling, get out of the room. If it loses grip and falls, it will use all of its apendages to try to cling on to something, including its fangs. If it falls on you it will try to grip to your body using its fangs, and you will be bitten.

9:If you live in a place where there's poisonous spiders, move. Spiders will crawl on you in the night, and if you move, they will bite. But since simply moving isn't that much of a threat, they'll bit with small amounts of venom injected. After many years of these bites that you probably won't even notice, you're body will begin reacting more and more adversely to the poison instead of building immunity (due to the nature of many of the types of spider poison). At some point if you get bit with full on venom, you could die, even if it ends up the type of spider that bit you doesn't USUALLY kill humans, like black widows.

10:Hope god has mercy on your pitiful soul. I don't know how much the rest of you know about spiders(i'm an expert).

CiSTM

Banned
BlueTsunami said:

:lol

Reminds me of a prank we pulled on my (arachnophobic) friend. We bought tons of spiders from pet shop (lizard food) and placed them in to a bucket and broke in to my friends house and waited for him. And when he finally came home from work we suprised him and throwed the bucket full of spiders at him :lol

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
CiSTM said:

Reminds me of a prank we pulled on my (arachnophobic) friend. We bought tons of spiders from pet shop (lizard food) and placed them in to a bucket and broke in to my friends house and waited for him. And when he finally came home from work we suprised him and throwed the bucket full of spiders at him :lol

how is that a prank? what the fuck?! holy shit i would douse myself in gasoline to get rid of those spiders...jesus christ.

WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU?

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
CiSTM said:

If someone did that to me he wouldn't walk the same for the rest of his life.

CiSTM

Banned
Timedog said:

These kinds of pranks are not uncommon among my friends :lol

Ps. I am still friends with the arachnophobic dude.

edit: and he did thorow his briefcase at the other guy involved with the prank and it cut corner of his eye pretty badly.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
CiSTM said:
These kinds of pranks are not uncommon among my friends :lol

Ps. I am still friends with the arachnophobic dude.

edit: and he did thorow his briefcase at the other guy involved with the prank and it cut corner of his eye pretty badly.

we could never be friends.

Koshiba

There's been 3 times where I've woken up with what I'm pretty sure were spider bites since they would be red/purple and get all weird and swollen for a little bit. So I'm pretty sure I probably end up with spiders crawling on me in my sleep. :[

CiSTM said:

Fuck you. Seriously. Fuck you.

CiSTM

Banned
wenis said:
we could never be friends.

don't say that :( We only tried to help our friend to overcome his fears by systematic desensitisation. Patient must come face to face with real spiders. When they are able to hold a live spider without feeling anxious, they will have conquered their spider phobia... We just sped up the process.

JRPereira

Timedog said:

I would probably have just killed him on the spot.

on the way to the nearest source of gasoline/sprayable toxic and flammable product

CiSTM

Banned
JRPereira said:
I would probably have just killed him on the spot.

on the way to the nearest source of gasoline/sprayable toxic and flammable product

Nah, the perpetrator/s have plenty of time to escape... I am presuming the way my friend acted after the spider shower is the norm.

1. He frozed up for a few seconds.

this is when prepetrator should run. We didn't 'cos we were laughing our asses off.

2. He realised what is going on and started to scream and prush his clothes and jumping up and down.

3. The anger. He started to chase us and tried to hit us with his briefcase. Finally sharp throw got my friend's eye. and eventually he calmed down.

4. We shared a laugh and a few beers and took our friend to hospital to show his eye.

Smokey

CiSTM said:

Pull some shit like that around here and you're gettin' your ass beat.

then you can lol all you want

CiSTM said:
Nah, the perpetrator/s have plenty of time to escape... I am presuming the way my friend acted after the spider shower is the norm.

1. He frozed up for a few seconds.

this is when prepetrator should run. We didn't 'cos we were laughing our asses off.

2. He realised what is going on and started to scream and prush his clothes and jumping up and down.

3. The anger. He started to chase us and tried to hit us with his briefcase. Finally sharp throw got my friend's eye. and eventually he calmed down.

4. We shared a laugh and a few beers and took our friend to hospital to show his eye.
I hope spiders lay eggs in your urethra.

CiSTM

Banned
BobFromPikeCreek said:
I hope spiders lay eggs in your urethra.

That is just nasty.

edit: and my friend had it coming. He has pulled some shitty pranks too so I regret nothing. And these days we only laugh at the things we done in the past so no harm done.

edit2: and I know this prank sounds extreme but as I said not uncommon among my friends. We all know who can handle these pranks and therefore we can execute them as we want.

Mashing

CiSTM said:

Damn man, that's not right at all. He could have had a heart attack.

Holepunch

zaccheus said:
overreact much? :D

do you think your ancestors that lived in huts were so afraid of spiders? spiders are an incredibly important part of the ecosystem and the chance of actually getting bitten by and/or even it being a very harmful bite is extremely small. you do know that you're 1000 times bigger than them right?

They are no more frightening than anything else, it's just we as a society/culture have developed with a sense of cleanliness and strict house-keeping standards to keep ourselves healthy (which is why doodoo and rats also disgust people), and spiders hiding in soda cans and behind clocks with their legs sticking out is probably going to set off those culturally ingrained instincts to dispose of the beasties.

so no, i'm not scared. i know that 99% of the time they can't (and will not) hurt me. i'm more afraid of people walking down the street or people on the bus than a spider in the corner of my room not doing anything.

Actually, I'm pretty sure during the very early stages of our evolution, one of our fiercest competitors were spiders. Oceans were dominated by giant scorpions, they were one of the first creatures to adapt to walk on land, and later spiders the size of human heads snared us and dragged us back to their droves.

All in all, fuck spiders.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Botolf said:
HL2Poisoncrab.jpg

Why are they so scary?

BECAUSE THEY ACT LIKE SPIDERS AND FUCK SPIDERS THAT'S WHY

God, the noise those things make. I've played HL2 and it's episodes through a bajillion times and those things always scare the shit out of me.

I would murder you and the courts would let me get away with it.

Garryk

MY GOD!!!!! WHY, WHY, WHY DID I COME IN THIS THREAD!!!!! HOW WILL I SLEEP!!!!

Seriously though, that set of pics with the clock is scary as fuck.

batbeg

Holepunch said:
Actually, I'm pretty sure during the very early stages of our evolution, one of our fiercest competitors were spiders. Oceans were dominated by giant scorpions, they were one of the first creatures to adapt to walk on land, and later spiders the size of human heads snared us and dragged us back to their droves.

All in all, fuck spiders.

...I'm not sleeping tonight.

Always-honest said:

I'm so sad that it took so long for this to get posted!

I wish I had some advice. We had this problem at my grandmother's house when I was in high school and it resulted in thirteen spider bites on me. It was not fun. So at least maybe it's not that bad?

Exterminators have lots of tips, though. Mine is always giving me wacky advice.

Atrus

Gold Member
Avoiding spiders is easy.

Just make sure your house is as vacuum sealed as possible, a major step in reducing house infestations of any sort, and incidentally, saving on heating costs.

Spiders don't usually crawl into beds, so check the bed thoroughly for any nests.

Spider prevention means ensuring your house is not a haven for things they'll like to eat, ensuring starvation. It also means that you regularly vacuum and dust behind corners, eliminating any and all vermin you see.

Keep humidity low and leave no standing pools of water anywhere. (see shower or kitchen). Water is the weakness of most animals, and dehydration will kill them faster than starvation.

Furthermore, you can dust/spray areas that don't recieve light with whatever legal chemical agent you can buy. Never get rid of webs until you can pinpoint it is in disuse, just in case you miss an opportunity to lure the unwelcomed guest from his hiding spot.

Like the movie arachnaphobia, you can lure out spiders by gently nudging the webbing with the broad side of your nails. They won't or shouldn't stick, and the spiders will be lured out like lightning. It may take practice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom