• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HUGE Sony 09 blowout - LittleBigPlanet PSP, Uncharted 2, Price cuts & more

Linkified

WrikaWrek said:
Are you suggesting that they can make a perfect SP? :lol

You can always do better and more.

Yes you can always do better and more when referring to a single player game, but I would expect all of those details as to length and stuff like that to have been deceided on in pre-production.

Wollan

But if the sp is vastly superior with a mp on top your first reaction would be 'oh noes, they could have made this sp even more vastly superior'? Pffft.

Arnie

mountain_duwe said:
So with that logic, you're saying that if MGO didn't exist, MGS4 would've been MARKEDLY better, yes?
MGS4 wasn't made in two years by ND. Tell me, have ND made a competitive multiplayer component before?

WrikaWrek said:
So yeah, highly disagree with you, but i'm starting to understand where you are coming from, i just think you are seeing things in a wrong way.

I guess we can agree to disagree then. I think Uncharted 2 could be the PS3's Gears, not necessarily doing Gears numbers at all (I never suggested that), but certainly providing for a similar multiplayer and co-operative experience that the PS3 doesn't have from that genre and style of play.

Adding in online modes would elevate the series from doing the numbers that Uncharted 1 did, to doing 500-700k first month NPD if released in November. I don't think it can do those numbers without compelling online content and replayability.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Linkified said:
Yes you can always do better and more when referring to a single player game, but I would expect all of those details as to length and stuff like that to have been deceided on in pre-production.

Which is always based on the amount of time and money you can allocate to it. Are you trying to say MP is decided on during production or something?

Linkified

WrikaWrek said:
Which is always based on the amount of time and money you can allocate to it. Are you trying to say MP is decided on during production or something?

Nope i'm saying if they were to include multiplayer they would of decieded by now.

tzare

WrikaWrek said:
Uncharted doesn't need multiplayer at all.
i absolutely disagree. As long as multiplayer does not hurt the single player experience, i think it's welcome: it also shouldn't be that dificult to implement, just something similar to horde mode of gow, a few vs maps there with the same gameplay, and done.
It's a different part of the game. However, a coop mode could hurt the single player experience or the argument by adding a second character that may not fit in the game.
co-op, maybe. Actually yes, in Uncharted's case it could work out really well. But why does it need competitive multi? I hate this trend where people think a game isn't complete if it doesn't have mp thrown in. Look at Condemned 2, they put resources into mp modes and nobody played them. In Uncharted's case, they'd do better to just focus everything on the train ride.

i think ps3 needs a gow-like type of multiplayer game, and uncharted fits in the hole perfectly

I don't think Uncharted need online competitive multiplayer mode. right now, people who played Uncharted 1 is not ecpecting Uncharted 2 to have online comp mode. it's better to play to your strength and polish the SP than attempt online mode that will only be criticized if it's anything less than good.

having online mode mean that ND will have to spend some man power post release to keep the game running, server maintenance and all. and we already know ND is not as big as IG, online comp will only spread their resources and perhaps delay their next game. I don't want that. besides, there's already too much competition in online comp market already. people don't usually play a lot of online comp. at most they'll play it when it's new and later move on to other games or go back to their staple online game (CS for many people, and KZ2 beta seems to generate a lot of interest for long lasting online game)

at most ND can do with online will be co-op mode, or dlc with new levels etc. personally, I hope Uncharted 2 have open ended structure like Jak 2 and 3 with central town hub and NPCs

tzare

i really enjoyed Uncharted. it's my favourite game of this gen, above MGS4, and i think a multiplayer mode just fits the game, and also should be that difficult or expensive to implement. Also naughty dog could earn money from map packs and so on.

I remember wishing Uncharted had multiplayer but after playing it 3-4 times I'm not sure if multiplayer would work that well for the game. Co-op would be awesome though.

tzare

vicissitudes said:
I remember wishing Uncharted had multiplayer but after playing it 3-4 times I'm not sure if multiplayer would work that well for the game. Co-op would be awesome though.
i think coop would really have a greater impact on SP experience than a multiplayer mode. And that impact wouldn't be good, as puzzles or platforming might not be the best fit for coop.

Again, PS3 hasn't a GOW-like multiplayer mode, wich is very arcadey and fun. There are a lot of FPS out there but if you look for something different in the shooting genre, you only have GEArs really beside FPS..... So it would be nice to have something similar on PS3.And Uncharted was really insipren in GOW in its shooting gameplay, so... why not?

WrikaWrek

Banned
tzare said:
i think coop would really have a greater impact on SP experience than a multiplayer mode. And that impact wouldn't be good, as puzzles or platforming might not be the best fit for coop.

Again, PS3 hasn't a GOW-like multiplayer mode, wich is very arcadey and fun. There are a lot of FPS out there but if you look for something different in the shooting genre, you only have GEArs really beside FPS..... So it would be nice to have something similar on PS3.And Uncharted was really insipren in GOW in its shooting gameplay, so... why not?

Dark Sector is inspired by GOW, and it has MP, and it is on PS3.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
tzare said:

Quantum Theory...? When it comes out next year? That game looks like Japanese Gears of War :lol

WrikaWrek

Banned
thuway said:
Too bad Dark Sector ran, played, and looked like shit. Your really reaching today.

It's you're, and i'm not reaching. Uncharted isn't GOW, and if you want GOW, there's a GOW out there, i would prefer to see Uncharted focus on what it does best, instead of wasting $ on a MP mode that will pass by unnoticed amidst the competition, isn't expected of the type of game, and probably will do little to improve sales.

tzare said:

Gears has a sort of "heavy" feel to it and its camera is much more "RE4 meets cover". Uncharteds camera pulls out a lot more.

I feel like 90% of Gears is shooting. So shooting based multiplayer works.

Now Uncharted feels 65% shooting, 15% puzzles, 20% platforming. If you cut out 35% of the game for competitive multiplayer it losses what makes Uncharted what it is.

Now Co-op could work better, but they would really have to be careful. There is potential there to ruin the experience.

tzare

WrikaWrek said:
Dark Sector is inspired by GOW, and it has MP, and it is on PS3.

yeah, but who is playing that game now? XD

Uncharted has everything to be one of ps3 flagship titles, well it really is now, so it would benefit the game itself an the console to include a good multiplayer mode, it would also boost PSN and online play in ps3. I also like very much Uncharted's flexibility , something i'd love to see in GOW but i won't.

It's the same as MGS4, it has the 'separate' Online mode, handled bya different team. Also, i think that this game, being one of PS3 important titles next year, shouldn't have budget limitations.

With KZ2, Motorstorm, Uncharted2 with online mode, GT5 next year, and SFIV, and free online play, PS3 could really be the platform for online play, and maybe some people who missed the original Uncharted game, could discover it.

Let's be fair, even if single player is great, and lasts, say, 15 hours, when it's finished, it's finished.
I feel like 90% of Gears is shooting. So shooting based multiplayer works.

Now Uncharted feels 65% shooting, 15% puzzles, 20% platforming. If you cut out 35% of the game for competitive multiplayer it losses what makes Uncharted what it is.

you are right, but in my opinion, Unchatrted's 65% of shooting is almost as good as Gears, it feels soooo well and natural.

Now i remember the excelent multiplayer mode in Splinter cell on xbox, mercs vs spies, that was awesome, and it didn't affect the SP experience at all. They simply used the 'core gameplay' when you were a spy.

Das-J

Law of the West
tzare said:
With KZ2, Motorstorm, Uncharted2 with online mode, GT5 next year, and SFIV, and free online play, PS3 could really be the platform for online play, and maybe some people who missed the original Uncharted game, could discover it.

... and there's a certain game with 256 player support that might have an impact! :D

tzare

Das-J said:
... and there's a certain game with 256 player support that might have an impact! :D
sure, but will that game reach all type of gamers? I think Uncharted is the game that appeals to everybody: it's fresh, it has shooting, adventure, platforming, puzzle, great characters, it's like the game Indy jones never had. But nowadays multiplayer is really important, and there are not many TPS out there that just feel so good as uncharted :)

I think i'm going to replay the game again once i finish dead Space :) .

But sure, multiplayer in Uncharted? yes, but only if it does not affect SP, for sure.

pd. sorry for my mistakes, not english nor american :p

TripOpt55

I'd actually be a bit worried about a co-op mode. It would be cool for the shooting, but I'd actually like a bit more platforming in the sequel and I'm not sure co-op would be good for that. I also liked sometimes having Nate by himself and sometimes not in the first game. You'd lose those times I'd imagine with co-op. I wouldn't mind an extra mission type mode for after beating the story. You know you'd be tasked with taking on waves of enemies or doing platforming sections in a cetain time in the existing maps which would be linked to trophies or leaderboards or something. Like in RE4 or in NG or something like that though I'm not sure how that would work out. Just something to give some extra replay to the game outside the main story mode. Though making the second one a bit longer than the first would be more important.

As for a competitive multiplayer mode, if in a pefect world it could be created without taking time away from or having a negative effect on the single-player, I'd say it'd be alright. They could work in the climbing mechanics and being able to use ledges as cover. It could be cool, but I think it would likely take time away from ND that they could use to make a real (even more) awesome single-player game. So, I'd say keep it single-player.

Madman

tzare said:
Again, PS3 hasn't a GOW-like multiplayer mode, wich is very arcadey and fun. There are a lot of FPS out there but if you look for something different in the shooting genre, you only have GEArs really beside FPS.....
Warhawk says hi. And the host of multi platform third person shooters w/ online.

WrikaWrek said:
It's you're, and i'm not reaching. Uncharted isn't GOW, and if you want GOW, there's a GOW out there, i would prefer to see Uncharted focus on what it does best, instead of wasting $ on a MP mode that will pass by unnoticed amidst the competition, isn't expected of the type of game, and probably will do little to improve sales.

Pretty much agree. And I can't see this having MP making the macho Gears players need to buy.

Also, time wasted on Uncharted MP is time not spent on Jak!

for better or worse, Sony has way too many titles that will compete with each other if they all have online multiplayer.

right now Sony already has Socom, Warhawk, Killzone, Resistance, LBP, and their racing franchise like GT prologue and Motorstorm. not to mention future titles like Agency, MAG, and hopefully new Twisted Metal.

just look at Killzone and R2, it's already cannibalizing each other with Killzone beta presumably beating the shit out of R2 even though they play completely different. I don't think they want another online shooter in their portfolio, probably one of reason why 8 days got canned

tzare

Madman said:
Warhawk says hi. And the host of multi platform third person shooters w/ online.

warhawk is great but's way different than Uncharted or Gow's playablility. Well maybe Quantum Theory delivers, but seeing Uncharted's engine as something that already exists, i think it's a pitty not to use it, just that :p
for better or worse, Sony has way too many titles that will compete with each other if they all have online multiplayer.

as far as they offer different gameplay and experiences, they won't compete. MGO does not play like warhaw or like Uncharted, KZ2 does not play like R2 or GT5 does not play like Motorstorm.
Different tastes, online play for everyone.

spwolf

in spirit of this discussion, since there are many single player and many multiplayer games out there, i think they should quit making games :D

but yeah, Uncharted does not really need multiplayer, but it begs for 4-8 player co-op... that would be AMAZING.

Das-J said:

Damn, for some reason I had this title pegged as a 2010 release.

Can't wait to see more. I have a feeling that MAG could really be a huge and unique title that differentiates itself from everything out there if the execution is done properly.

tzare

Madman said:
I agree, just wanted to point out Warhawk as a unique, arcadey, and fun shooter.

and somehow a bit underated, maybe because it was not a huge IP or it has no SP. If thet had not been the case, i really think it would be played by much more people.

Das-J

Law of the West
Private Hoffman said:
I have a feeling that MAG could really be a huge and unique title that differentiates itself from everything out there if the execution is done properly.

I completely agree and that is my sincere hope... I guess we'll see! :D

Personally, I can't stand playing multiplayer. I'm of two minds on all of this. First, if ND can deliver a satisfying single player adventure and then somehow fit a multiplayer mode in there, well, as long as I've got my single player adventure I don't feel I'm out anything. On the hand, though, I do firmly believe that every person working on multiplayer is a person that could be working on making the single player even better, so I'd prefer if they focused on it.

AndyD

aka andydumi
tzare said:
and somehow a bit underated, maybe because it was not a huge IP or it has no SP. If thet had not been the case, i really think it would be played by much more people.

I agree. Not being a full price title made people look down on it a bit. A good solid sequel wold have me there day 1, SP or not.

Linkified

One thing that shouldn't be in the next uncharted unless they massivley change it are those jet ski bits - if only Elana could of shot by herself.

tzare said:

Wait, warhawk didn't sell well over the past year? I thought that it was successful. I never follow sales data, but I thought that it had reached a nice chunk of players. I know that the online community is generally very active, even at this point. I don't know what the budget of the game was but I can't imagine that it needed to be a multi-million seller to be considered successful.

With that said, a sequel would be great - perhaps with bots and some more back story. SP might be nice (especially if they have some of those capital ships in the game like the old previews showed), but I think the gameplay would need to be altered somewhat.

AndyD

aka andydumi
the_prime_mover said:
Wait, warhawk didn't sell well over the past year? I thought that it was successful. I never follow sales data, but I thought that it had reached a nice chunk of players. I know that the online community is generally very active, even at this point. I don't know what the budget of the game was but I can't imagine that it needed to be a multi-million seller to be considered successful.

With that said, a sequel would be great - perhaps with bots and some more back story. SP might be nice (especially if they have some of those capital ships in the game like the old previews showed), but I think the gameplay would need to be altered somewhat.

It sold very well for what it is. Just not what GAF would consider gangbusters for a shooter (a couple of million).

I would like to see SP, simply to see a realization of the warhawk vs. giant sky carrier they had in those early trailers. It can be a separate game for all I care.

Top Bottom