• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hundreds of Palestinians flee as Israel opens dams into Gaza Valley [Update: fake]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nail in the coffin.

http://www.haaretz.com/news/diploma...cebook&utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_medium=Social

Al Jazeera, Britain's Daily Mail retract false reports that Israel opened dams to flood Gaza
Both admit error, declare that no such dams exist; story also circulated on AFP, Palestinian news sources social media.

(Subscription needed to read the rest of the article.

http://www.maannews.com/eng/ViewDetails.aspx?ID=759549

[FALSE STORY, NOT CREDIBLE]

GAZA CITY (Ma'an) -- Hundreds of Palestinians were evacuated from their homes Sunday morning after Israeli authorities opened a number of dams near the border, flooding the Gaza Valley in the wake of a recent severe winter storm.

The Gaza Ministry of Interior said in a statement that civil defense services and teams from the Ministry of Public Works had evacuated more than 80 families from both sides of the Gaza Valley (Wadi Gaza) after their homes flooded as water levels reached more than three meters.

Gaza has experienced flooding in recent days amid a major storm that saw temperatures drop and frigid rain pour down.

The storm displaced dozens and caused hardship for tens of thousands, including many of the approximately 110,000 Palestinians left homeless by Israel's assault over summer.

The suffering is compounded by the fact that Israel has maintained a complete siege over Gaza for the last eight years, severely limiting electricity and the availability of fuel for generators. It has also prevented the displaced from rebuilding their homes, as construction materials are largely banned from entering.

Gaza civil defense services spokesman Muhammad al-Midana warned that further harm could be caused if Israel opens up more dams in the area, noting that water is currently flowing at a high speed from the Israel border through the valley and into the Mediterranean sea.

Evacuated families have been sent to shelters sponsored by UNRWA, the UN agency for Palestinian refugees, in al-Bureij refugee camp and in al-Zahra neighborhood in the central Gaza Strip.

The Gaza Valley (Wadi Gaza) is a wetland located in the central Gaza Strip between al-Nuseirat refugee camp and al-Moghraqa. It is called HaBesor in Hebrew, and it flows from two streams -- one whose source runs from near Beersheba, and the other from near Hebron.

Israeli dams on the river to collect rainwater have dried up the wetlands inside Gaza, and destroyed the only source of surface water in the area.

Locals have continued to use it to dispose of their waste for lack of other ways to do so, however, creating an environmental hazard.

This is not the first time Israeli authorities have opened the Gaza Valley dams.

In Dec. 2013, Israeli authorities also opened the dams amid heavy flooding in the Gaza Strip. The resulting floods damaged dozens of homes and forces many families in the area from their homes.

In 2010, the dams were opened as well, forcing 100 families from their homes. At the time civil defense services said that they had managed to save seven people who had been at risk of drowning.

shem935

Banned
Did they give a reason why? Would love to hear their justification. "Oh that's where that water goes? Whoops. Sorry for watering civilians to death."

devilhawk

Yeah, this article seems pretty shitty.

Would be nice to know the rationale for releasing the water. With the storm they mentioned, are the dams close to topping, is the lake behind too full? Is Israel's reasoning for releasing the water reasonable?

The article seems very light in details but high on sensationalism.

Would be nice to know the rationale for releasing the water. With the storm they mentioned, are the dams close to topping, is the lake behind too full? Is Israel's reasoning for releasing the water reasonable?

Ding ding ding.

There's apparently been very heavy and persistent rainfall in the region, seems that was the reason for opening the dam..

Israeli authorities have opened the gates of a dam near the Gaza Strip, which led to the flooding of several homes in the enclave, according to the strip's Civil Defense Directorate (CDD).

"The [Israeli] army opened the floodgates of a canal leading to central Gaza, which led to the removal of sand mounds along the border with Israel," Gaza's CDD said in a statement.

"Opening the levees to the canal has led to the flooding of several Palestinian homes, and we had to quickly evacuate the afflicted citizens," it added.

Medical sources told Anadolu Agency that no casualties have been reported as a result of the flooding.

According to the CDD, Israeli authorities usually open the floodgates to their dams in the direction of the Gaza Strip - without prior notice - in order to discharge the enormous quantities of water that had accumulated due to the heavy rains in the region.

The Gaza Strip is struggling to deal with a severe snowstorm that has been sweeping across several Middle Eastern countries since Tuesday.

The Israeli blockade of Gaza, in place since 2006, has led to shortages in fuel and rainwater drainage equipment, which further exacerbated the situation of the 1.9 million Palestinians in the strip.

https://www.middleeastmonitor.com/n...ns-dam-gates-flooding-gaza-palestinian-agency

Pretty hard to find any real in depth information about this.

Kite

Record-breaking rainfall from storm Alexa is the reason, broke a 60 year record.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...-havoc-and-misery-across-the-Middle-East.html

coleco

Israeli authorities usually open the floodgates to their dams in the direction of the Gaza Strip - without prior notice -

10443633_xl.jpg

Skyzard

Banned
All that work blocking off water to Palestinian farmland paying off for Israel again.

Wonder how long till the new settlements are built.

This is not the first time Israeli authorities have opened the Gaza Valley dams.

In Dec. 2013, Israeli authorities also opened the dams amid heavy flooding in the Gaza Strip. The resulting floods damaged dozens of homes and forces many families in the area from their homes.

In 2010, the dams were opened as well, forcing 100 families from their homes. At the time civil defense services said that they had managed to save seven people who had been at risk of drowning.
The fact that this is the third time they're doing this speaks volumes.

Even if they have a legitimate reason for doing it, their refusal to give Gazans advance notice smacks of cynical behaviour. Can you imagine if a Canadian border town just opened up their dams and flooded their American neighbours to south with no forewarning or notice? That would start some shit.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
So why can't they be bothered to notify Gaza when they decide to do this? It's disgusting that this is apparently their third time pulling this exact same stunt without any proper notification

Wow.

What a cunt move.

So why can't they be bothered to notify Gaza when they decide to do this? It's disgusting that this is apparently their third time pulling this exact same stunt without any proper notification

Its slow and purposeful genocide. They don't give a fuck and think of Palestinians as sub human terrorist that they must "protect" themselves from.
Its inexcusable and disgusting.

Probably anti-Hamas protocol, which intends for Gazans to suffer and be humiliated while Hamas has authority in the Strip.

You mean collective punishment.

Well, yeah, that is essentially what Israel's doctrinal policy towards Hamas is, since the organization and its "subsidiary" branches are so deeply entrenched within Gaza. They regard ordinary Gazans as enablers of Hamas and it is their intention to collectively punish Gazans for that.

Did they give a reason why? Would love to hear their justification. "Oh that's where that water goes? Whoops. Sorry for watering civilians to death."

Wasn't sure about the original source so I looked and, funnily enough, found the response from Israel at another, questionable source (The Blaze). Actually, The Blaze is far worse than questionable, but I figure their quotes from the Israeli side are accurate.

But Israeli officials contend no dams exist in the area. Uri Schor, a spokesman for Israel’s Water Authority, told the Times of Israel, “The allegation of [Israel] opening dams and flooding the Gaza Strip is baseless and false.”
(http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/12/19/the-floodgates-of-bullcrap-palestinians-blame-israel-for-flooding-gaza-by-opening-dams-that-dont-really-exist/)

I know Israel likes to bullshit but I don't know what to believe here. They can't even agree if the dams exist.

Kite

lol this damn region can't even agree if such dams exist.

"The allegation of [Israel] opening dams and flooding the Gaza Strip is baseless and false," Uri Schor, a spokesman for Israel's Water Authority, shared with The Times of Israel in response to the accusations, adding that no dams exist in the area.

"The opposite is true: due to the damage caused by the storm – which affected all neighboring countries and not only the Palestinian Authority – Israel responded to a special appeal conveyed through the UN, transferring four high-power pumps to the Gaza Strip intended to help residents remove water from flooded areas."

According to reports that have made headline news in the Middle East this past week, Hamas has claimed that Israel is responsible for the flooding, with its Disaster Response Committee chairman, Yasser Shanti, alleging that Israelis opened dams east of the Gaza Strip. Civil Defense spokesman Muhammad Al-Maidana further added that the opening of the dams exacerbated the crisis and raised the water level, "causing homes to be submerged."

"The Zionists, of course, have taken advantage of the situation, sending some pumps and supplies which they had deprived the besieged Gaza Strip of," added Moussa Abu Marzouk, deputy head of Hamas' political bureau.

"Later, the occupation forces opened the Wadi Salqa dams to sink dozens of Palestinian homes in the central region of the Gaza Strip, thereby sending two contradictory messages!"

The Israeli Coordinator of Government Activities in the Territories argued, however, that such false rumors surface every year when Gaza experiences high rainfalls and flooding.

The widespread flooding that hit the region, caused by storm Alexa, has forced close to 40,000 residents to flee their homes, and U.N. agency UNRWA has described parts of the northern Gaza Strip as a "disaster zone." The torrential rains of 10.23 inches between Dec. 11 and 13 reportedly broke a 50-year record.

An Egyptian border blockade of the territory is reportedly hampering rescue efforts. U.N. spokesman Chris Gunness urged, "The world community needs to bring effective pressure to end the blockade of Gaza," according to the Associated Press. He added that Gaza "must be freed from these man-made constraints to deal with the impact of a natural calamity such as this."

Does anyone have any information on these damns the only thing I can find is a report from the same outlet two years ago mentioning the same thing?

http://www.maannews.com/eng/ViewDetails.aspx?id=656950

I see dams in Israel but none I can find that would cause flooding in Gaza. Can't a reporter verify this? All we have is a gazan official stating something that happened in Israel.

The only sources are Ma'an, RT, Press TV, Al Jazeera (which just reposts the ma an story)

I'm genuinely curious because this smells funny.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Shocked the article doesn't blame the storm on the Israelis too.

You seem a lot more angry about the perceived unfairness of the articles towards the Israel authorities instead of all the displaced Palestinians caused by the flooding.

Those damn Palestinians and their home in the way of the damn water, so annoying.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
You seem a lot more angry about the perceived unfairness of the articles towards the Israel authorities instead of all the displaced Palestinians caused by the flooding.

Those damn Palestinians and their home in the way of the damn water, so annoying.

I know right? What the hell were they thinking building homes in the path of the water just to look like victims?

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
The article is confusing. It makes it sound like the flooding started in Gaza due to storms and then the dams were opened? I'm not following the article at all.

and now there is debate whether the dams actually exist? Huh? Can't... you see the dams?

:/

GYODX

The article is confusing. It makes it sound like the flooding started in Gaza due to storms and then the dams were opened? I'm not following the article at all.

and now there is debate whether the dams actually exist? Huh? Can't... you see the dams?

:/
It's Maannews. They're counting on their readers to be biased enough that they would overlook the more pesky details that don't add up.

Dead Man

Because Israel, that's why.

Edit: It would be nice to get some solid sources on this, though.

...the article doesn't give direct quotes and is lacking in a number of important specifics, and I've been furiously Googling trying to find any sort of official statement from "Gaza civil defense services spokesman Muhammad al-Midana". I'm looking at the PA Ministry of the Interior site and any official PA sites for statements on the incident and can't find any.

I'm confused.

I hope aid reaches the affected ASAP, and if the Israeli gov't is standing in the way of that happening they need to sort that shit out.

Embearded

I guess that they will keep doing it as long as people keep establishing community there. When the times comes that no one will want to go back there, Israel will claim the ground as its own and will move the borders as they are doing so many years. Day by day they steal as much ground as they can.

El Topo

Al-Jazeera (english, for those of you who don't trust the arabic one)

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2015/...used-israel-dams-opening-150222115950849.html

I can't comment on this topic, but when you have an article that doesn't seem to give us context, quotes no (Israeli) government official and ends with "Gaza has been under siege since 2007", maybe that's not the best article to use as a source. The video seems better, but again gives no interesting information.

I don't really doubt that this happened, but the articles are too sensationalist and context-less for me.

Israel claims that there is no dam, must be true then and let's make fun of Palestinians.

Wow lol.

It's not accceptable and neither are the some of the other comments, e.g. the nazi reference. Such comments are not helpful and do us all a disservice, not to mention they're horribly insensitive.

I can't comment on this topic, but when you have an article that doesn't seem to give us context, quotes no (Israeli) government official and ends with "Gaza has been under siege since 2007", maybe that's not the best article to use as a source. The video seems better, but again gives no interesting information.

I don't really doubt that this happened, but the articles are too sensationalist and context-less for me.

You definetly got a point there. It would be intellectually lazy to not research the topic more if the story seems suspicious. I will look further into the matter and try to find more (trustworthy) sources.

El Topo

You definetly got a point there. It would be intellectually lazy to not research the topic more if the story seems suspicious. I will look further into the matter and try to find more (trustworthy) sources.

Please don't take my comment as criticism. I appreciate that you tried to find other sources and I myself didn't find any news at the few (somewhat) trustworthy sites/newspapers that I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom