• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hunter gets crushed to death after elephant he shot falls on him

Yeah it's not a crime, but if your life evolves around tracking and hunting animals that aren't on any kind of level an even match to you in reality. To me that spells fucking coward.

So really the thread should be "Fucking Coward Dies Hunting Elephant, No Fucks Given By All" - which is real accurate.

I'm not talking about the hunter. You wanna shit talk the hunter? Fine. I'm talking about the wife. Like wow, such a crime to fall in love with someone who is a hunter. Gonna send her a note telling her I'm glad her husband is dead! Like fucking really? What is the point of going that far? To show how tough and steadfast you are in your morals?

dakun

too bad for the kids, wife and the elephant. Not much sympathy for the Hunter. Actually it makes him a nominee for the Darwin Award in my opinion.

I'm not talking about the hunter. You wanna shit talk the hunter? Fine. I'm talking about the wife. Like wow, such a crime to fall in love with someone who is a hunter. Gonna send her a note telling her I'm glad her husband is dead! Like fucking really? What is the point of going that far? To show how tough and steadfast you are in your morals?

I wouldn't get married to a person that goes around hunting elephants. For me to do that would mean I acknowledge it but I don't care anyway.

So yeah, fuck em.

Hunters aren't this fucking guy hunters are like those trappers in syberia doing it for a reason.

This guy is a sport hunter that's a big fucking difference. He's not doing it cos he needs that elephant meat dude.

Meliora

While trophy hunting can help with conservation in theory, it doesn't mean it always does or that every park play by the rules and that the money actually ends up helping the animals. Also while it can help, doesn't mean it's the best way to help.

Turns out photography safaris bring a lot more money for example.

Some interesting links https://www.saveafricananimals.org/...e_ Myth_of_Trophy_Hunting_as_Conservation.pdf

http://www.ifaw.org/sites/default/files/Ecolarge-2013-200m-question.pdf <- Study on how much of the money actually goes to conservation and the locals

https://africageographic.com/blog/trophy-hunting-a-conservation-concept-vs-the-reality/

I don't know what was the case with this guy and this park, but I think people are often too quick to defend trophy hunting because it sounds like a good way to raise money. I'm extremely sceptical when it comes to trophy hunting, because people are greedy and faulty. It doesn't matter if the hunter is a good guy and thinks the money he pays goes towards a good cause if it just ends up in the wrong pockets anyway.

NoRéN

One of the hunters shot the elephant after she lifted Botha with her trunk.The elephant then collapsed on top of Mr Botha, who has five children with his wife Carike Botha.

Don't give a fuck how much family he had.

Poor elephant.

Some of the posts in this thread make it sound like the only reason killing an elephant is bad is because it's an endangered species... :/
I suspect most of the people condemning this man and celebrating his death are meat eaters and have no problem loading up on pork, chicken, and beef at the supermarket each week.

Given that, the "endangered animal" line is all that separates their daily factory-farmed food from what this man did for a living.

RIP to this guy. Nothing wrong with legal hunting, especially when the money goes to conservation-related causes.

Aske

I'm glad conservation efforts profit from trophy hunters, but that doesn't mean I have to like trophy hunters. Glad this chap's dead. That doesn't mean I think he deserved to die, or that I have no sympathy for his family. It means I don't like that he killed endangered animals for trophies, and I am pleased he has stopped living.

I will now enjoy a steak and not give a single fuck that some people who fail to understand complex moral maths consider me a hypocrite.

Lot of vegans in this thread. As others have said legal hunting is an unfortunate fact of life for now, kids left without a father isn't exactly something to make snide remarks about.

akira28

I'm glad conservation efforts profit from trophy hunters, but that doesn't mean I have to like trophy hunters. Glad this chap's dead. That doesn't mean I think he deserved to die, or that I have no sympathy for his family. It means I don't like that he killed endangered animals for trophies, and I am pleased he has stopped living.

I will now enjoy a steak and not give a single fuck that some people who fail to understand complex moral maths consider me a hypocrite.

the hypocrite hunters will hound you. and then they will strike you. and then you will fall on one and kill them.

and you know what they will think? "hm..maybe we should have left that elephant alone."

Jashobeam

have no sympathy for those who hunt for sport

seriously, find another hobby that doesn't involve killing, like what the fuck?

I wouldn't get married to a person that goes around hunting elephants. For me to do that would mean I acknowledge it but I don't care anyway.

So yeah, fuck em.

Hunters aren't this fucking guy hunters are like those trappers in syberia doing it for a reason.

This guy is a sport hunter that's a big fucking difference. He's not doing it cos he needs that elephant meat dude.

I'm not defending hunting. I'm attacking this extremist reaction of going after the wife and accusing her of being reprehensible for marrying him when we know fuck all about her except that she married a game hunter which is apparently all some of you need to know to condemn her. Go on, dig up some dirt on her and prove me wrong or something.

Usobuko

Banned
I get that human beings are garbage in general that will not actively contribute to conservation effects unless their self-interest is aligned with the movement.

Or at least the ones who industrialized and capitalized on globalization with its newfound wealth around the world but persists with a "fuck you, got mine" mentality of planet earth.

At the end of the day, even if humans are apex predators in this world and determines what legals and whats-not, it doesn't mean I have to like trophy hunting and the culture it represents.

We want to talk about the surviving wife and kids, but how many baby elephants were left without a mother due to this incident?

Life is life, right?

akira28

We want to talk about the surviving wife and kids, but how many baby elephants were left without a mother due to this incident?

Life is life, right?

life is precious. I only hope that his children don't become hunting animal haters and start trying to get revenge for their father.

I'm not defending hunting. I'm attacking this extremist reaction of going after the wife and accusing her of being reprehensible for marrying him when we know fuck all about her except that she married a game hunter which is apparently all some of you need to know to condemn her. Go on, dig up some dirt on her and prove me wrong or something.

I did my research and it concluded with: fuck 'em.

Like I said, I wouldn't marry someone that goes and hunts elephants or any big mammal.

Why not just, I don't know, stamp on an ants nest? Because you can't take big manly photos of yourself with a dead ant.

Again, fuck em, and those associated. There are billions of humans out there. Some suffering due to things they can't control, due to getting shot on the streets for being a black man. Getting killed because they don't worship the right God.

This guy got killed because he's an asshole that wants to feel like a big man with a dead animal to be photographed with. His wife knew that but decided not to care about it, because her individual happiness was her priority. Just like the hunter, knew the risks abut hunting but decided his self perception of being a tough guy was important.

It's not worth my sympathy. So, fuck 'em.

And do you know despite having 5 kids, and the obvious risks of going hunting, do you think the mr game hunter was worried about that? "oh maybe going on these hunting trips might kill me and leave my kids without a father" I wonder if he also thought the same thing I'm saying now: fuck em.

ironic.gif

What?

Speevy

Banned
I'm sensing a rift between people who think this guy got what he deserved and those who are sorry for his family, so I'll say this.

If I were on an expedition to kill fucking elephants, I would consider getting crushed by one an acceptable way to die.

Usobuko

Banned
If any of you think its hypocritical to criticize or at the very least display apathy for the deceased hunter unless one is vegan, that is not a good counter-point because vegan still consume life-forms to keep them alive till this date.

To turn this around and follow the above rationality, will you feel sorry for a ant that just died the same as you feel sorry for this dude when they are just one life-form on this planet?

See how ridiculous it is now?

Again, what is the crime here?

There is no crime in a legal sense.

But let's face it, it's pure unbridled selfishness, ego and privilege as to why their kids ain't got no Dad. Wife could of put her foot down but decided not to give a shit.

No crime, just what goes around comes around.

There is no crime in a legal sense.

But let's face it, it's pure unbridled selfishness, ego and privilege as to why their kids ain't got no Dad. Wife could of put her foot down but decided not to give a shit.

No crime, just what goes around comes around.

That's a whole lot of assumption and judgement of character based on a whole lot of nothing. We don't know if she didn't try to put her foot down and the husband just didn't listen and if that's been an ongoing talk with them. We also don't know if she did try. But I'm not gonna grab the pitchforks at her for simply not knowing the whole story. We know about the husband, there's enough to cast judgement there.

If you support factory farming by eating meat in a western society, you cannot object to any kind of animal abuse whatsoever.
Yes you can. It's not a disqualifier.

Ric Flair

Banned
I think game hunting is okay if it allows for populations of animals to be kept in existence and grown thru the funding received from hunters. It's not the ideal way but it works. I don't agree with hunting animals for the hide on their back but I'm not going to celebrate this guy's death either

That's a whole lot of assumption and judgement of character based on a whole lot of nothing. We don't know if she didn't try to put her foot down and the husband just didn't listen and if that's been an ongoing talk with them. We also don't know if she did try. But I'm not gonna grab the pitchforks at her for simply not knowing the whole story. We know about the husband, there's enough to cast judgement there.

Yes you can. It's not a disqualifier.

It's not an assumption, the article said "wife" not "ex-wife". They both took a look at his hunting at some point, calculated the risks and morality. Decided it was fine for him to do it despite the potential for leaving his kids without a father.

But sure you're right, we don't know the wife but I'm not sending any condolences to any people associated with folk that think hunting down big game so they can take a fucking selfie with it, as "good people".

Top Bottom