• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hunter x Hunter Community Thread - OSU!

It sounds like super typical Togashi!

Battle royale! Deatchmatch! Nen beast for everyone, go kill yourselves!
Wait, The Togashi Twist: nen beasts can't kill other nen beats or nen beast's owners!

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The way I thought of the restrictions on the Nen beasts was that, because they can't attack their host or other princes directly, they instead would be controlling and using the 200k other people on the boat to kill off their rivals. If you recall back a couple chapters, one of the bodyguards said that even if the succession war started, the princes wouldn't be given immunity for murdering each other.

This seems to fit with what happened in the last two chapters, which would mean all the nen beasts are manipulator-type abilities. Which should give Kurapika an edge since he can chain of justice his team to protect the prince, if he can figure it out.

Kyuur

The way I thought of the restrictions on the Nen beasts was that, because they can't attack their host or other princes directly, they instead would be controlling and using the 200k other people on the boat to kill off their rivals. If you recall back a couple chapters, one of the bodyguards said that even if the succession war started, the princes wouldn't be given immunity for murdering each other.

That's a good point but why would they have went for the bodyguards first if this was the case? Would manipulating the other people to kill the princes count as 'attacking a host'? Kind of actually ties into Chrollo's speech about how the ability creator views people (distinction between corpses and puppets for Order Stamp ability)!

Euphony

Banned
This seems to fit with what happened in the last two chapters, which would mean all the nen beasts are manipulator-type abilities. Which should give Kurapika an edge since he can chain of justice his team to protect the prince, if he can figure it out.

I'm not totally convinced that the Nen beasts are all manipulator types, but for sure they can use manipulator type abilities. So far we've only seen 1 ability in detail, with the a second one maybe being teased (the dead bodyguard with the holes), so it's possible that the other Nen beasts specialize in a different Nen type. I guess what it's coming down to for me is, can an independent being made of Nen specialize in a Nen type just like a person can? That being said, a manipulator type Nen beast would definitely be advantageous since the whole point of the succession war is to kill others without doing it yourself.

That's a good point but why would they have went for the bodyguards first if this was the case? Would manipulating the other people to kill the princes count as 'attacking a host'? Kind of actually ties into Chrollo's speech about how the ability creator views people (distinction between corpses and puppets for Order Stamp ability)!

I think going for the bodyguards first was a matter of convenience. The bodyguards are the ones closest to the princes at all times and therefore in a very good position to act as assassins if they were controlled. What I'm not sure about is, based off the spoilers, is why all of Halkenburg's guards were killed off when it's more convenient just to use them directly. I'm willing to bet, like I said in my reply to B-Dubs, that not every Nen beast has the ability to manipulate people. The rest of the 200k passengers on the ship are just there as a resource to be used if necessary, like Chrollo did with the Heaven's Arena audience.

Kieli

Da rich get richer. Why Togashi gotta give Kurapika all 'o dem useful skills & Emperor Time? He's like supposed to be anti-Spider and that's it, but it seems he's just getting it all done.

Tf?

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Da rich get richer. Why Togashi gotta give Kurapika all 'o dem useful skills & Emperor Time? He's like supposed to be anti-Spider and that's it, but it seems he's just getting it all done.

Tf?

Well it seems like forcing Emperor Time and maintaining it for long periods of time may be bad for Kurapika as his dolphin thing mentioned his time usage.

Philippo

Welp, shit is hitting the fan earlier than i expected.

I like Theta though, she seems a good character. And since she's a good willing girl, she's going to die so fucking bad.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Man, this chapter was really good. More explanations on how the Nen Beasts interact with each other, but those designs are incredible. Each Nen Beast is wholely unique and seems to represent its owner's persona. I like them all a lot.

I'm curious about the fairy one, since there's a another part of it that's "spitting them out". Glad to have you back HxH.

If that rule means that the Nen beasts can't attack the other hosts in addition to their own, that's fucking bananas. Everyone around them is meant to die while they use traditional means to kill eachother. The princes with actual competent soldiers (and maybe personal skill when it comes to Benjamin) have a huge advantage.

I wonder if the guards are telling the princes about the nen beast because they're scary or because Tserriednich's beast's ability forces them to.

Can you expand on this? Was it in an author comment or are we just going off the "ai" theory?
From one of the pages between chapters in the first volume of the dark continent arc:

gM9YVQZ.jpg

It says "Ai. It comes from the dark continent"

remz

Facial expressions were really on point this chapter.
NotPatBateman's was totally fucked, felt some real dread with that alien homage panel. I hope Theta lives

HStallion

This boat arc seems like its going to be a straight up blood bath of a horror movie. Between Hisoka on the war path and the crazy Nen Beasts that are going to running wild shit is about to get crazy. The designs are great.

The Nen beasts are all really great. My favorites are Tserriednich's murder horse, Zhang Lei's Wanyūdō, and Tyson's ominous lizard-pooping butthole. Although, their dad's sex monster is still the best overall.

Looks like Halkenburg is either going to be the first one to die, or his bodyguards were traitors and his Nen Beast neutralized them.

Also, Theta's really cute. Shame she's probably going to end up mounted on Tserriednich's wall like every other woman he encounters. I wonder what she and the other guy were "talking about before?" I can sense a tragic subplot building around those two.

The art this chapter was amazing, that horse-like nen beast is absolutely horrifying. Poor girl.

Rooting for theta but knowing togashi, she'll have a horrible fate

So we still have four princes whose beasts aren't yet confirmed: Kacho, Fugetsu, Marayam and Woble. I'm going to guess that Woble's hasn't manifested yet, so that leaves the three remaining lower princes.

From this page, we have three Nen Beasts unaccounted for: The Jellyfish, the Anus Sandworm, and the Big-Nosed Dragon.

Unfortunately, trying to match them blindly is impossible since the current pairings lack rhyme or reason. I think their abilities have more to do with the Princes' personalities than their appearances do.

woopWOOP

Ofcourse the 4th prince has a nen-stand straight out of fucking Contra. Christ and I thought Youpi's horse form was bad

I think we know most of the princes' nen beasts now, right? Only one I can recall that hasn't been revealed yet was that dopey looking dragon from the previous batch of chapters.

upandaway

1st prince's beast looks like a BETA haha. All of those designs are freaking insane. Tserried beast easily takes the cake, poor Theta.

I was thinking all the bodyguards are ultra-loyal so it was surprising to see Theta and the other dude's thought process. Really rooting for them now, you gotta make it out alive peeps.

daveo42

Banned
Goddamn the last few panels. That's some serious nightmare material. Demon Alien Horse giving freaking me right the fuck out. Theta ain't gonna make it. Tserriednich is going to figure out nen and kill her once she's outlived her usefulness to him.

upandaway

Goddamn the last few panels. That's some serious nightmare material. Demon Alien Horse giving freaking me right the fuck out. Theta ain't gonna make it. Tserriednich is going to figure out nen and kill her once she's outlived her usefulness to him.
I'm honestly not sure why everyone are saying he's gonna kill her, it's not like he can master nen overnight Ant-style, and his beast can't kill other princes

caliph95

I'm honestly not sure why everyone are saying he's gonna kill her, it's not like he can master nen overnight Ant-style, and his beast can't kill other princes
He can still sicc his beast on her or possibly manipulate other people and they establish him as smart so he doesn't have to kill her in combat. Plus he's a serial killer

HStallion

Can I say one of the more interesting turn of events is that Togashi is finally dealing with the fact that like 99.9 percent of the world still has no clue what Nen is except for Hunters and small groups like the Phantom Troupe. This has been kind of a big deal for the recent turn of events because people learning about Nen could be a serious problem for so many different characters. It always felt a bit odd that you could have Chrollo and Hisoka basically using super powers to fight one another and no one seemed to ask why or how.

caliph95

No probably not. I think this dude is HxH's real Yoshikage Kira, except he don't want to live a quiet life like a plant.
So seeing the murder horse with women faces made her realize how fucked up he is basically and this is going to be interesting as she would have to trick the prince and gimp his progress
Can I say one of the more interesting turn of events is that Togashi is finally dealing with the fact that like 99.9 percent of the world still has no clue what Nen is except for Hunters and small groups like the Phantom Troupe. This has been kind of a big deal for the recent turn of events because people learning about Nen could be a serious problem for so many different characters. It always felt a bit odd that you could have Chrollo and Hisoka basically using super powers to fight one another and no one seemed to ask why or how.
It's weird in the tournament people blatantly use super powers or weird shit occurs people were confused by it but never question it. Helps you can't see nen techniques but still

woopWOOP

Unless he turns out to be manipulation type and his bloodlust overwrites the nenbeast to just murder everything anyway?
...Hey, maybe!

So seeing the murder horse with women faces made her realize how fucked up he is basically and this is going to be interesting as she would have to trick the prince and gimp his progress

I don't think she can do that though. The point of that scene was that the murder horse knows Theta's plotting against Tserriednich, which is why it aggressively confronted her.

She's not a prince, so if she tries to deceive Tserried, there's a good chance the horse will hurt or kill her.

caliph95

I don't think she can do that though. The point of that scene was that the murder horse knows Theta's plotting against Tserriednich, which is why it aggressively confronted her.

She's not a prince, so if she tries to deceive Tserried, there's a good chance the horse will hurt or kill her.
Which makes this interesting and why i'm scared for her

daveo42

Banned

Of course he won't learn nen overnight, but once he gains an adequate grasp on nen and is able to either manipulate or straight overpower the other princes using what means he has available, any nen users around him also become a liability. I also believe she and the rest of the nen body guards know the sickening type of human he already is and the fear that whatever develops within him will have farther reaching consequences if he become the next crowned king.

They also a long journey. I don't expect it to take that long for things to come to some sort of conclusion...but this is very early in the game. 2hrs in, the party just started.

Of course he won't learn nen overnight, but once he gains an adequate grasp on nen and is able to either manipulate or straight overpower the other princes using what means he has available, any nen users around him also become a liability. I also believe she and the rest of the nen body guards know the sickening type of human he already is and the fear that whatever develops within him will have farther reaching consequences if he become the next crowned king.

They also a long journey. I don't expect it to take that long for things to come to some sort of conclusion...but this is very early in the game. 2hrs in, the party just started.
I think Theta is aware enough to know he's fucked up, but I'm not 100% sure she knows to what extent though. What she sees manifested in his Nen beast is probably giving her some food for thought though. She wanted to hobble his Nen growth for a reason.
Togashi to Araki:

Are those stands? Hah, hold my beer...
I think these Nen beasts are a cross between Stands and Apostles. The fact that Togashi actually out disturbed Miura is scary.

RR30

I'm so happy the GOAT is back (for now at least). This is getting darker and darker and we aren't even in the DC yet. So great. Which one of the people Kurapika had become a body guard is gonna die? I'm gonna go his teacher, though I hope we get more info on him because he obviously has a lot of experience.

dan2026

HxH really is the most terrifying shonen I have ever encountered.

Especially as it isn't a horror manga series.

There is just something about the horrific nature of the HxH world.

dan2026

Yeah I don't think there is any other Shonen where life is so cheap.
Maybe Jojo, but I think that is classed as a Seinen these days.

Togashi has always talked about his horror influences.

Killiua dropping Johnny in Trap Tower was such a huge shock given the light-hearted adventure we were having....hooked for life

smurfx

get some go again
i really loved the rule about nen beasts not being able to kill other nen beasts or their owners. whoever can possess one of the phantom troupe or hisoka will likely win.

This IS a horror arc tho. I kinda suspect if we ever get to the DC it'll be a giant robot arc or something.
perhaps the DC is a horror arc and this is the opening act for it.

Top Bottom