• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hunter X Hunter Manga TO CONTINUE

Status
Not open for further replies.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Unless you're a new reader who started reading the manga after the recent anime series I don't know how you can get excited for the series coming back after all these hiatuses. If we got news of not only Togashi's health improving but him hiring a new team of assistants to continue working on the series in case his health declines again I'd be excited, otherwise the only way this news is exciting is if you like betting on Hunter X Hunter hiatuses.

Why not? I've been reading Berserk for more than a decade and Miura can easily go toe to toe with Togashi for putting out a few chapters than taking a half or year or longer to come back for more. The pace of release sucks but it hardly means the actual story does.

Kreed

Why not? I've been reading Berserk for more than a decade and Miura can easily go toe to toe with Togashi for putting out a few chapters than taking a half or year or longer to come back for more. The pace of release sucks but it hardly means the actual story does.

Don't get me started on this. I'm just glad they made it to that damn island.

What theory?

Contains spoilers from the new DC arc, along with my own speculation.

The theory that Nanika [Alluka's "inner self"] is actually one of the five great calamities from the The Dark Continent. Although there isn't that much on it yet, I think there's enough to warrant the discussion.

Here's the key points

- Of the five its speculated to be the "Ai Gas Life form" for a few reasons. The first is that some similarities could be made from it and Nanika. Such as the black eyes and that Nanika often says "Ai"

6f4e8f5bdd.png

- We saw how the "Ai Gas Life Form" leaves its victims in a secret laboratory and it looked suspiciously similar to how Nanika leave its victims. Mangled twisted remains of a person.

- Ging mentions at one point that victims of two of the calamities have appeared in the explored known world. One of these is the Gas Life Form. The other is Papu. This would make sense if Nanika is actually one of them as one of side effects of failing to meet Nanika's three demands is not only killing the person being asked but that persons closest family/friends. It does depend on the scale of the previous wish prior to the demands though. Basically, it makes sense that victims could be found around the world. It fits within Nanika's powers.

- Silva Zoldyck spoke about Alluka/Nanika and I quote: "That is not a person. It is something that came from a very different place. Something dark" - At first it's easy to assume that all there is to this is Silva not seeing him as a son because he was very "messed up" even by their standards. However, what if he was actually being literal. As in the "place" he's talking about is literally The Dark Continent? Is it a coincidence that the place was revealed the very next arc?

- When Nanika's powers were surging, everyone was in shock. Even the Zodiacs were commenting on how they never felt anything quite like that. It was different

- One of the biggest questions is that how could this possibly happen... how could Nanika have seemly "possessed" Alluka? We know that the Zoldycks have travelled to the The Dark Continent. We saw a flashback that had Zzigg Zoldyck [Zeno's Father] with Netero in the midst of those dark lands. What if Zzigg unknowingly brought something back with him, what if the Ai possessed him? Perhaps when Zzigg died [assuming he did die] the Ai latched itself onto the closest living thing it could find, in this case Alluka as a small child.

Those are the main points, as for how I think this could fit into the story from the Zoldyck's perspective?

I think by the time the DC arc concludes, word of mouth about Alluka will have gotten around. It'll be known and revealed that Nanika is from the Dark Continent. At this point knowledge of the continent itself will be general knowledge so knowing that one of the creatures there is living in their own lands will cause havoc. People of all sorts are going to get involved. Hunters, assassins, mafia groups - some will want to control Nanika for power, others will want to kill it out of fear. A world-wide bounty will be put on Alluka's head and by extension, Killua's - especially if it gets out that he can control Nanika fully. This will make the Zoldycks overall but especially Killua and Illumi a lot more desperate. Things will get crazy.

I think a major plot-point in this will be the death of Alluka. I think that's the next major step for Killua's development. If you think about it he's the only one of the main four that has yet to experience any real loss. We've seen him annoyed and cold but we have never really seen him pushed over that edge like we have with the others. He's always been more composed in comparison which is why I think its especially interesting that we saw more of that shell chipping away during the election arc when Alluka was threatened. I think it'll happen and Killua is going to go on a war path.

I think some seeds regarding this have been planted already. For example, Gotoh, someone he really looked up to was murdered and because of this the other Zoldyck butlers are hiding Gotoh's death from him. I think Togashi is waiting to reveal this to Killua when he's at his lowest point mentally which will just send him even further down that rabbit hole. And of course, this arc will also be when one of the most anticipated fights finally happens: Killua vs Illumi.

Finally, I think "Nanika" has to die... unless his power has a major limitation in what he can grant, otherwise it's just a more accessible version of the Dragon Balls. A walking plot-device to fix everything when shit goes south and that ain't good story-telling, knowing that despite all the damage everything will be okay in the end because Alluka is OP.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Best news ever. Between this and JoJo part 4 seemingly airing on April it's like I've gotten my birthday presents early.

Yonafunu

Contains spoilers from the new DC arc, along with my own speculation.

To add to this, there's theories that
all five calamities have some thematic or narrative connection to certain main characters.

As you pointed out, Ai might be connected to Alluka/Nanika and by extension Killua and the Zoldycks.

Brion is said to be the guardian of a ruined ancient city, which connects him to Ging, an Archeological Hunter, and by extension Gon.

The Zobae Disease is an illness, which matches Leorio, a medical student.

Hellbell, said to cause murderous intent, and it's victims are said to have had something to do with the mafia. Both of these points could potentially link it to Kurapika.

Papu is a tough one, but it's full description "pleasure and life exchanging human feeding beast" could point to something like drugs, which could link it to Gyro and the drug he was making.

Also, Zzigg Zoldyck is Zeno's grandfather. Zeno's father is Maha Zoldyck.

And just as a heads up for when the chapters start coming, we have a Hunter x Hunter Community thread for all manga talk and stuff.

Manga Spoilers
The wiki says this about about Zeno/Maha: "In Coco Loo's explanation and according to the 2004 databook, Maha is Zeno's father. However, in Chapter 264, it seems as though the author retconned him as being Zeno's grandfather."

I think this is even further cemented now that we have this panel from the Manga. The guy above Zeno is speculated to be Zzigg.

dan2026

Personally I want to see more of Prince Tserriednich.

He is creepy as fuck and I feel he could turn into a good antagonist given time.

kirblar

To add to this, there's theories that
all five calamities have some thematic or narrative connection to certain main characters.

As you pointed out, Ai might be connected to Alluka/Nanika and by extension Killua and the Zoldycks.

Brion is said to be the guardian of a ruined ancient city, which connects him to Ging, an Archeological Hunter, and by extension Gon.

The Zobae Disease is an illness, which matches Leorio, a medical student.

Hellbell, said to cause murderous intent, and it's victims are said to have had something to do with the mafia. Both of these points could potentially link it to Kurapika.

Papu is a tough one, but it's full description "pleasure and life exchanging human feeding beast" could point to something like drugs, which could link it to Gyro and the drug he was making.

And just as a heads up for when the chapters start coming, we have a Hunter x Hunter Community thread for all manga talk and stuff.
You missed the obvious connection -
something that's all about pleasure and feeds on humans? That's totally Hisoka's thing.

Yonafunu

Manga Spoilers
The wiki says this about about Zeno/Maha: "In Coco Loo's explanation and according to the 2004 databook, Maha is Zeno's father. However, in Chapter 264, it seems as though the author retconned him as being Zeno's grandfather."

I think this is even further cemented now that we have this panel from the Manga. The guy above Zeno is speculated to be Zzigg.

Wow, that's weird.
That makes Maha even older than he was before the retcon. That's crazy old.

You missed the obvious connection -
something that's all about pleasure and feeds on humans? That's totally Hisoka's thing.

That would be an obvious connection going purely off "pleasure", but I don't think it fits. Looking at the naming (translated, of course) I feel it implies a creature or thing that sucks the life out of it's victims in exchange for pleasure, almost literally like a drug.

I feel like the art also supports it being a creature of that nature, with it's victims looking like they're hooked up to something.

latest

edit: damn that's a lot of black bars

kewlmyc

Cool, but for me, the series ended when Gon meets his dad on the top of the tree.

See you when the series goes back on hiatus in a few chapters.

woopWOOP

Oh man, only just read about this.

... Tho it's kind of hard to get excited about it with Togashi's current track record. I'll be amazed if he can put out 20+ chapters without any longtime breaks this time. I hope!

Still curious about that 'shocking thing' his manager or whatever was alluding to. Hope it doesn't involve some of the young royalty meeting horrible ends :(

Alx

It was hardly the perfect place to end, they would live more shit hanging than Xenoblade X did.

Before introducing dark world, these plot threads were still hanging:

• The Phantom Troupe
    -Kurapika's resolution with them
    -Chrollo getting his powers back
    -Hisoka fighting Chrollo
  • The new chimera ant eggs
  • Gyro
  • Gon's nen
  • Hisoka's build up with a final fight against Gon
  • Killua's conflict with his family felt more like it came to a temporal pause, and not resolved.
Minor stuff like Melody's getting her real form back, Leorio's nen being barely seen and the remaining ants too.

I think it's fine to leave things hanging, not every piece of story has to be detailed, that's usually what gives convoluted and far-fetched universes. I'm fine with some characters going their own way and hearing "what happens to them is another story".
It's actually one of the things I like with Togashi, the fact that his storytelling can be unconventional and ignore common shonen tropes. Like in the ending of Yu Yu Hakusho,
"oh there's another huge tournament happening and everybody's preparing for it... but we won't show all of it, it's not that important... the main character doesn't win anyway, some random guy does."
I especially like the fact that Gon, Killua et al don't become the most powerful characters in their universe, nor get to fight the bad guys. Gon will never fight Hisoka because he'll never catch up with him. Hisoka will never fight Kuroro because his toy is broken. Kurapika will never get full revenge and suffer from perpetual anger instead.

Clegg

The Jairo/Gyro intro chapter was genius. In the middle of an arc about a genocide committed by Chimera Ants and the magic powers Gon and Killua are developing Togashi gives us a chapter about a little boy suffering through poverty and domestic abuse. What a man.

Betty

Banned
Cool, but for me, the series ended when Gon meets his dad on the top of the tree.

See you when the series goes back on hiatus in a few chapters.

See you in a year or so when enough new chapters have been put out to bring back the anime!

I can dream!

Joyful

The Jairo/Gyro intro chapter was genius. In the middle of an arc about a genocide committed by Chimera Ants and the magic powers Gon and Killua are developing Togashi gives us a chapter about a little boy suffering through poverty and domestic abuse. What a man.
Gyro will probably show up eventually
And I guess it was another reminder that humans are the real monsters before neteros thing anyway

StylusX

Whats with all the naysayers in here, lets give Togashi the benefit of the doubt. I for one feel the manga will continue for the rest of the year at least, with the odd 1/2 week break here and there.

Chariot

Whats with all the naysayers in here, lets give Togashi the benefit of the doubt. I for one feel the manga will continue for the rest of the year at least, with the odd 1/2 week break here and there.
My believe in Togashi is long gone.

Bre7wO0.png

He does not get a benefit at this point. It's not free, he got to earn it again.

Clegg

I remember the 2011/2012 run of releases. They had come frequent enough that I started to believe he was back to a regular schedule.

What a fool I was.

Unless you're a new reader who started reading the manga after the recent anime series I don't know how you can get excited for the series coming back after all these hiatuses. If we got news of not only Togashi's health improving but him hiring a new team of assistants to continue working on the series in case his health declines again I'd be excited, otherwise the only way this news is exciting is if you like betting on Hunter X Hunter hiatuses.

This exactly. I need to know he's healthy, dedicated, willing to delegate and willing to just be a storyteller if his health goes south from the stress again.

I have 0 faith right now and I need at least 20, uninterrupted chapters before I have even a LITTLE faith.

I think it's fine to leave things hanging, not every piece of story has to be detailed, that's usually what gives convoluted and far-fetched universes. I'm fine with some characters going their own way and hearing "what happens to them is another story".
It's actually one of the things I like with Togashi, the fact that his storytelling can be unconventional and ignore common shonen tropes. Like in the ending of Yu Yu Hakusho,
"oh there's another huge tournament happening and everybody's preparing for it... but we won't show all of it, it's not that important... the main character doesn't win anyway, some random guy does."
I especially like the fact that Gon, Killua et al don't become the most powerfull characters in their universe, nor get to fight the bad guys. Gon will never fight Hisoka because he'll never catch up with him. Hisoka will never fight Kuroro because his toy is broken. Kurapika will never get full revenge and suffer from perpetual anger instead.
Yu Yu should have ended with the last bad coming as they hinted towards it. I'm still waiting Togashi. I'm fine with some of the stories not getting resolved, but PT and Kurapika has to have some sort of resolution.

HStallion

How faithful is the 2011 anime? I've watched about 45 episodes

I prefer how the original anime starts out as its a bit darker, more somber, and I prefer the art style a bit more. It also takes a bit longer to tell the events that the 2011 kind of breezes through and I enjoyed that as it gave even some smaller characters a bit more room to breath and let us get a better idea of who they are. There is a lot of added stuff not from the manga or in the 2011 but I didn't mind since a lot of it was character building and nothing was really unexpected or out of character.

Its like comparing Full Metal Alchemist to FMA Brotherhood. FMA was a bit more of a character drama but didn't have the strongest finish or in the original HxH anime, they just stopped as their wasn't enough manga to adapt and keep going. This is in comparison to Brotherhood which sped through the beginning events everyone was already familiar with to get to the later more exciting stuff. The 2011 anime adaptation of HxH doesn't quite speed through the beginning but it does continue well past the original adaptation and has a much more logical and concise ending.

Lulubop

I especially like the fact that Gon, Killua et al don't become the most powerful characters in their universe, nor get to fight the bad guys. Gon will never fight Hisoka because he'll never catch up with him. Hisoka will never fight Kuroro because his toy is broken. Kurapika will never get full revenge and suffer from perpetual anger instead.

to be fair Togashi was feeling a lot of pressure from wsj and his editors and phoned in that arc, and out right ended before a hinted spirit world vs makai war

Yea, Maha is Zeno's grandfather. Zzigg is younger than Netero in the flashback and for him to be Maha's dad he would have to be older. Also Maha's age was retconned, or had to have been retcon along with him being retconned at Zeno's dad.

You're ok with the phantom troupe and the Kurapika stuff just completely left as a dangling plot line?

Your post reads like Stockholm syndrome.

vareon

You're ok with the phantom troupe and the Kurapika stuff just completely left as a dangling plot line?

We understood that that's Hunter x Hunter from the beginning. If I don't like it, I'd have left the series from way earlier.

- Gon receives his Hunter license while being knocked out. We skipped everything the moment he was knocked out to when he woke up.
- Gon never reached Killua's mansion, Killua just greeted them and left.
- Heaven's Arena was abandoned when Gon reached his goal (to punch Hisoka in the face)
- Kurapika managed to cripple the Troupe (thinking that would stop the Troupe) and left. Chrollo didn't mind him crippled as much because he believed the Troupe would go on.
- Greed Island was the exception where everything is resolved without much twist.
- So is Chimera Ant, but in a very non-standard way the main character doesn't even met the main villain in this arc.

I have wanted to see the Troupe again ever since York Shin, but their role in the story is over---unless they do random shit and crossed the current storyline again. That's just how it is, and if I don't enjoy the ride I won't even be posting in this thread.

HStallion

We understood that that's Hunter x Hunter from the beginning. If I don't like it, I'd have left the series from way earlier.

- Gon receives his Hunter license while being knocked out. We skipped everything the moment he was knocked out to when he woke up.
- Gon never reached Killua's mansion, Killua just greeted them and left.
- Heaven's Arena was abandoned when Gon reached his goal (to punch Hisoka in the face)
- Kurapika managed to cripple the Troupe (thinking that would stop the Troupe) and left. Chrollo didn't mind him crippled as much because he believed the Troupe would go on.
- Greed Island was the exception where everything is resolved without much twist.
- So is Chimera Ant, but in a very non-standard way the main character doesn't even met the main villain in this arc.

I have wanted to see the Troupe again ever since York Shin, but their role in the story is over---unless they do random shit and crossed the current storyline again. That's just how it is, and if I don't enjoy the ride I won't even be posting in this thread.

Well we did see them in the CA arc so its not like they aren't involved in the story still. Just like Kurapika and Leorio, they took a back seat to Gon and Killua's adventures and journey. I'm sure we'll see them again, there was too much build up of things like finding the Nen exorcist to restore Chrollo. Togashi will return to it eventually, when that is, who knows.

woopWOOP

I have a huuuge feeling some of the bodyguards in the new arc will be some of the Troupe members. Probably those who had to sit out the CA intermission and couldn't do cool shit for awhile.

Alx

It can't really be Stockholm syndrome since I started reading HxH very late (maybe one or two years ago), and never suffered from the different hiatus. I just read it, liked it, bought what was available, and considered it finished.
And I think there is some poetry/depth in following a story without having everything resolved. Characters meet and split, share some common interests of have their own, go their own way... Giving an exhaustive report of anything that happens in the universe only makes it more artificial. In real life you don't get to learn all tiny details of what happens to all the people you meet.
It was already a thing in "the Neverending Story" by the way (the book, not the movie), where all characters that appeared were the beginning of a new story that wouldn't be told. It was also a thing in Sandman, where the story would often vaguely refer to long gone events without giving any detail on them, which gave the whole mythology some mystery (as a matter of fact I did find disappointing when some episodes tried to tie a few loose ends).

Fandangox

Not everything has to be resolved, I personally do not want Gon to have a final fight with Hisoka, or see Melody's quest finished, but some of that stuff has been built up ever since the beginning. Kurapica's and Killua's conflict with the troupe and his family respectively are very important.

Not to mention that bringing the new chimera ant eggs and then never mentioning it again would just feel like a cheap way to put some false tension on the hunter election arc.

Kyuur

How faithful is the 2011 anime? I've watched about 45 episodes

There were some misteps very early on, but it is incredibly faithful (sometimes to a fault).

While interesting, I also would have been completely fine if it had never been touched again. Ideally we would get fleshed out stories for everything with a quality consistent with the rest of the series until the end of time, but that's not how it works.

Not that this hypothetical matters, since one of the main subplots going on is the continuation of that plotline.

Mael

I can see why, despite still being bound to Nen rules, specially with the heavy consequences for wishing, Alluka is dangerously close to a "get out of jail free" card for plot devices.
Just in case I put that in spoiler tag, if you haven't finished the anime or the part of the manga the anime left off don't read.
I feel like the only part of the "get out of jail free" is her dependence to Killua allowing him to do whatever the fuck he wants.
For the others it's basically a risk greater than anything they've ever even thought before.
That's spoiler for the last arc after the anime, so yes spoiler inside spoiler
Going forward if Nanika is really part of Ai, there is a compensation for Killua's wishes being different.
After all Ai is supposed to be the "desire of dodependance" so there might be an even deeper price for Killua to pay if he decides he has enough of Alluka.
It's still lopsided though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom