• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hunter x Hunter Community Thread - OSU!

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Pretty insane drawback considering the situation he's in atm. He would have to maintain emperor time for a while given the current plan.

It just makes me think from when he fought Uvo, how much lifespan did he actually lose.

Also I really, really don't want to see some Nanika bullshit for this. If there was a way to revert it, maybe use steal chain on an ability that increases your lifespan? To the point where it's a net positive during emperor time.

There's an item on the Dark Continent that can potentially save him. I imagine that's going to be the thrust of the next arc: Leorio races against time to save his friend.

TTOOLL

There's an item on the Dark Continent that can potentially save him. I imagine that's going to be the thrust of the next arc: Leorio races against time to save his friend.

Makes sense since he couldn't do shit to help Gon and was pretty pissed about it.

"So Kurapika...what's up with the fuckin' dolphin? You think you're Jotaro Kujo?" Like if Trevor Brown can exist in HxH why can't Jojo?

I think it was chapter 360 where Kurapika pretty much mimicked Jotaro verbatim when they were inspecting those guys with the holes in them, straight up to "Let's not hold back. Take off the clothes for further inspection!"

It's The Oreo's time to shine this arc.

Ha ha.

Euphony

Banned
I thought that the limitations that he placed on his ability were tough enough but to add that he loses 1 hour of his life for every second Emperor Time is active, that's pretty messed up.

What if they stole each other's abilities at the same time?

Chrollo has a lot more restriction on how he steals Nen abilities than Kurapika does, so I think Kurapika has the edge on that fight. He doesn't even have to use Chrollo's ability either, he just has to keep it in storage while he fights.

He's not gonna make it out of this arc.
Either cause of ET, or simply a consequence of his revenge.

Yeah, I'd be more optimistic about his survival if not for all the narrative cues that his relevance to the larger story is coming to a climax:

-He now has an ability that kills him.
-The Phantom Troupe are on the boat, his #1 goal is killing them.
-The man who bought the remaining Kurta eyes is on the boat, his #2 goal is retrieving them.
-He has zero reason to go to the Dark Continent, which will most likely be a Ging-centric arc.

Basically, this arc could wrap up every loose thread he has left. My guess is he defeats Tserriednich, reclaims the eyes, and maybe kills a spider or two on the boat. He then either dies or escapes with Woble before the boat makes landfall.

I'd go so far as to say that if he becomes aware of the Troupe's presence and they successfully pull off their mission to steal the Kakin treasure and escape the boat, it'll actually increase Kurapika's chances of survival because he'll no longer have any incentive to remain on board.

Even worse, Kurapika would have been able to steal his nen.
BUT that only steal a finite amount of aura I'm guessing.
For a regular human, it puts them in Zetsu state.
For the King? He's the kind the of monster that makes Yupi a child.
Even disregarding the physical damage the King can deal without nen (because remember a regular soldier ant like that disgusting bird that impales victims could tank Gon's jajanken no problem).
Regular aura blast would do nothing to a defenseless King.

The chain can be broken, the Uvo fight was important to know if regular force alone was enough to break it for one of the PT.
We can assume the King is magnitude stronger than Uvo so even in Zetsu I don't think he would have a problem.

Did you miss the drop of blood that they gave for the ceremony or something?
they have no control over it and it acts on its own.

The blood drop is nothing, and the nen beasts enact the will of those the emerge from to a degree...I think they are a cool concept, just not entirely satisfied with how they emerge. Anyway, looking forward to seeing how Kurapica deals with them.

Daingurse

The blood drop is nothing, and the nen beasts enact the will of those the emerge from to a degree...I think they are a cool concept, just not entirely satisfied with how they emerge. Anyway, looking forward to seeing how Kurapica deals with them.
Well, it's an ancient Nen ritual that seems pretty unique, and the users have no control over the Nen beast. I was able to accept the nature of the Nen Beasts fairly easily. It's a pretty cool application of Nen.

Mael

What like if he got the entirety of Chrollo's Nen rolodex?

It's probably the best thing that can happen to Kurapika though :
As long as he doesn't close the book it's not counted as the use being done and he has access to Chrollo's extensive nen book.
If he's unlucky he ends up with just the bookmark though.

It's probably the best thing that can happen to Kurapika though :
As long as he doesn't close the book it's not counted as the use being done and he has access to Chrollo's extensive nen book.
If he's unlucky he ends up with just the bookmark though.
But wouldn't that also kind of ruin him cause he'd need to be in ET to even be able to use it?

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I still have to laugh that Leorio is all about being a doctor and his Nen ability is basically an elaborate punch in the face.

wartama

Neo Member
I have a strong feeling that this arc won't be the last we see of Kurapika, and I suspect that Prince Woble will be a major player in his character arc. That panel when he first held her was too 'deliberate' to not have a significance in this arc, and Woble's reaction when Kurapika asked Otio to trust him cemented that feeling for me.

tl;dr: Kurapika won't die. Woble's presence will save him in some shape or form.

Mael

But wouldn't that also kind of ruin him cause he'd need to be in ET to even be able to use it?

Yep but as long as it's not "equipped" he can ditch ET and dolphin with it.
Then again when used maybe he can't get rid of it unless he closes the book and make the ability disappear...

Leorio is the reason Kurapika was invited to the Zodiacs in the first place. This arc is definitely going to involve Leorio saving Kurapika in some fashion.

Wouldn't he only be able to use one of those abilities once though? Watch Chrollo be killed with Indoor Fish.
I imagine Kurapika would figure out some workaround. Honestly, I didn't think of the possible problems when I thought of him stealing Chrollo's ability. Just thought it would be interesting to see how he handles it.

vypek

Killua is my favorite character and I basically hoping we'd have some chapters of him at some point but now that people mentioned Leorio, I really would want to see him sooner

Euphony

Banned
I imagine Kurapika would figure out some workaround. Honestly, I didn't think of the possible problems when I thought of him stealing Chrollo's ability. Just thought it would be interesting to see how he handles it.

Maybe one use of Chrollo's ability counts as the time you summon the book to when you release it since the book is the actual ability. Chrollo doesn't dispel the book whenever he uses a single stolen ability, but I'm not sure where the book goes when he uses his bookmark to use 2 abilities.

smurfx

get some go again
so if kurapika doesn't die a horrible death on the boat then he might end up getting that immortality disease and live that way. he would have to live long enough to find don freecs and ask him how he managed to live for so long.

HStallion

so if kurapika doesn't die a horrible death on the boat then he might end up getting that immortality disease and live that way. he would have to live long enough to find don freecs and ask him how he managed to live for so long.

I have to wonder if Don is an even worse version of Ging. The guy abandoned humanity to traipse around the most dangerous place out there.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

There's also the super rice thing.

SoulUnison

Banned
I feel like Kurapika's just going to unceremoniously drop dead seemingly at random at some point and it'll turn out that, on top of burning it away with Emperor Time, he already had a fairly short natural lifespan.

Also, do you think the lifespan thing works on a "biological" basis, or a "fate/destiny" basis?
Is he borrowing time from the end of his unknown natural, physical lifespan, or is he stealing "conceptual" time from some point in the future where he dies, perhaps of unnatural causes?

It'd be weird if Kurapika dropped dead at the beginning of a fight because it turned out he would have lost to that opponent anyway and that's where he's been "borrowing time" from.

I feel like Kurapika's just going to unceremoniously drop dead seemingly at random at some point and it'll turn out that, on top of burning it away with Emperor Time, he already had a fairly short natural lifespan.

Also, do you think the lifespan thing works on a "biological" basis, or a "fate/destiny" basis?
Is he borrowing time from the end of his unknown natural, physical lifespan, or is he stealing "conceptual" time from some point in the future where he dies, perhaps of unnatural causes?

It'd be weird if Kurapika dropped dead at the beginning of a fight because it turned out he would have lost to that opponent anyway and that's where he's been "borrowing time" from.
Would probably randomly die eating with Gon and Leeorio.

Maybe one use of Chrollo's ability counts as the time you summon the book to when you release it since the book is the actual ability. Chrollo doesn't dispel the book whenever he uses a single stolen ability, but I'm not sure where the book goes when he uses his bookmark to use 2 abilities.
It would be pretty interesting to see an explanation for it. Though, I would probably have smoke coming out of my ears like Gon.

It is probably a fluid process that involves all of that. His regular life expectancy, what he is doing now that can impact that, etc...

Would probably randomly die eating with Gon and Leeorio.
As if Gon wasn't already damaged enough.

HStallion

Hisoka and Kurapkia might do another team up to take down the PT if the situation calls for it though I can easily see them facing off as well. It could get us Kurapika stealing Bungee Gum

Daingurse

Hisoka and Kurapkia might do another team up to take down the PT if the situation calls for it though I can easily see them facing off as well. It could get us Kurapika stealing Bungee Gum

I really don't know how Hisoka will react to Kurapika now. I think he's going to be a bit "off" post ressurection. Really hope to see them interact.

woopWOOP

Not to jinx anything, but I'm so glad these last few chapters are without hiatus notification. These cliffhangers keep getting crazier

Philippo

Yeah, I'd be more optimistic about his survival if not for all the narrative cues that his relevance to the larger story is coming to a climax:

-He now has an ability that kills him.
-The Phantom Troupe are on the boat, his #1 goal is killing them.
-The man who bought the remaining Kurta eyes is on the boat, his #2 goal is retrieving them.
-He has zero reason to go to the Dark Continent, which will most likely be a Ging-centric arc.

Basically, this arc could wrap up every loose thread he has left. My guess is he defeats Tserriednich, reclaims the eyes, and maybe kills a spider or two on the boat. He then either dies or escapes with Woble before the boat makes landfall.

I'd go so far as to say that if he becomes aware of the Troupe's presence and they successfully pull off their mission to steal the Kakin treasure and escape the boat, it'll actually increase Kurapika's chances of survival because he'll no longer have any incentive to remain on board.

Most of that is pretty optimistic, while i think Kurapika's death will be much more traumatic. We've very well learned what Togashi thinks about revenge and its consequences. I think there are three chances:
-he dies on the boat after succeeding, probably a very solitary death just as his journey
-he dies on the boat after failing, and i expect something gruesome as fuck if this happens
-he survives after either succeeding or failing, leave to spend the rest of his (literal) days with someone else
I think the Melody, the Queen and Woble are somehow related to the third possibility, they seem to awaken some kind of 'humanity' in Kurapika, something that matters outside his one goal.

Huge balls if Togashi actually kills Kurapika, though. He's mostly killed fodder and a few more important secondary characters tbh, so i don't expect him to kill a MC that easily.

Would be really sad, though. If someone deserved happiness, it's probably him.

Top Bottom