• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hyrule Warriors Legends: stereoscopic 3D N3DS-only, amiibo, more new characters, etcc

fernoca

Even without cross-save, I'm buying it because:
-Is a portable version of my favorite 'Warriors' game.
-Is a great Zelda game with tons of content and extras.
-Free DLC of the new content for the Wii U (I'm digital, so guess the code will be in the receipt)

TheMoon

Monster Hunter 3 did it, I believe.

Yes, with a companion app, you could transfer your Wii U character on 3DS and vice versa.

And both versions were built with that in mind from the get-go.

This clearly was not.

Even without cross-save, I'm buying it because:
-Is a portable version of my favorite 'Warriors' game.
-Is a great Zelda game with tons of content and extras.
-Free DLC of the new content for the Wii U (I'm digital, so guess the code will be in the receipt)

No. Free DLC of the three main new characters. We don't know if/how the rest will be covered.

Overside

Banned
Interesting thanks for bringing this up Moon.

Interesting, i mean, the stereo 3D part. It's the first game we know of that leans more into extra visual capabilities of the New 3DS. We know the CPU are diiferent but the GPUs are the same.

i don't think Xenoblade was a direct confirmation because that game been N3DS only could have been due to certain aspects like world size which are somewhat more related to CPU and memory. So i take as a direct confirmation that the New 3DS can handle superior visuals. Monter Hunter supposedly had differences, yet the evidence provided was hard for me to judge.

So it begs the question, why didn't something like DQ:VIII took advantage of this for 3D? And also how much of a possibility is to port minecraft to the N3DS?

Draw calls.

The gpu's are the same, and really, the 3d doesnt have too much of an effect on the visuals themselves as the immediate asset resources in the scene, are already processed and there in memory, and going 2d effectively halves the resolution so its not like you can get 2x better texture quality or shaders, to add to the irritation no matter the res of the texture, they effectively come through worse in 2d because of that. You should always have 3d on, even if you dont like 3d, just enough for the full res to activate withoit going 3d, you can literally see the detail of the screen double.

Basically, whats done to make 3d is you just reuse the assets that have already had 90% of the work done, change the angle slightly, and call on the gpu to draw them again. The res is so low, and the gpu has enough memory and power for that res, that it just never really seems all that stressed from 3d... But the cpu...

This is where the problem comes in, draw calls fall on the cpu, going 3d has a bare minimum of 2x the draw calls, with more the higher that 3d slider goes (to get a greater 3d effect the left and right images are made farther apart, which results in a large section that was previously off screen now being on the screen, these new objects need draw calls) and og 3ds cpu was waaaaayyyy to weak to make effective use out of the gpu in that regaurd, that pica could handle way more than the cpu could send.

Really a bone headed move on a system whose main point relies on draw calls from the cpu to work.

BTA

It would be really weird for this to have cross save given that the gameplay's changed and I assume each battle's changed to fit that. Doesn't the story have additions to it thanks to the Wind Waker stuff too?

IronLich

As a Day 1 3DS owner, yet have no Wii U, yet want to play this game badly... If they found a way to make it run on 3DS at an acceptable, stable framerate, I wouldn't mind loss of 3D. I still want this game.

The longer we go without confirmation of cross-save the more I think it is totally not happening. Which means I am totally not buying this version - no way am I gonna go through the grindfest that was Adventure Mode again from the very beginning on the 3DS, not even for Wind Waker characters.

I hope we don't have to wait too long before the Legends-exclusive content comes to the Wii U version separately.

I am still confused about this game. Tried looking it up, but am still confused. What is its exact relationship with the Wii U game?It it a port with all DLC included plus new content? Or actually a different game?

fernoca

I am still confused about this game. Tried looking it up, but am still confused. What is its exact relationship with the Wii U game?It it a port with all DLC included plus new content? Or actually a different game?
Same game, with all content...and new one.

See it as Hyrule Warriors: Game of the Year Edition. :p

Nia

Still waiting for playable Saria. Sequel or otherwise. I am looking forward to this DLC on the Wii U though.

watershed

Banned
Thank god I have a N3dsXL but a purchase for me still depends on the graphics and performance of the game. Right now it looks a little rough from what I've seen.

people forget there were already good warriors games on 3ds that worked

Samurai_Warriors_Chronicles.jpg

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Saria with be nice, but if there's anyone from Ocarina that I'd like to see, it's Nabooru.

Yes more Sages would be great. And having more Gerudo representation would be a plus.

Since there aren't any in HW period.

Because Zelda was mean

Ridley327

And both versions were built with that in mind from the get-go.

This clearly was not.

Considering that MH3U came out over a year before on the 3DS, I'm not sure that qualifies as built with that in mind. In fact, needing an app to get anything off and on the 3DS version suggests the opposite.

I don't think the dream is dead for cross-save on this game yet (and if anyone has a lot of experience with that, it's K-T), but I feel like that they would have said it's cross-save by now.

L Thammy

I enjoy the game but hated sitting in front of a TV for hours on end playing it

3DS is the perfect solution.

Yeah, I kind of want to get it because don't have much opportunity to play console games anyway. I've played the first stage of the Wii U version when I got it and never touched it again. Although I still find it kind of hard to justify since I have the Wii U copy and expect it to perform a lot better.

The 3DS version also has some of the touchscreen features from Chronicles if I'm not mistaken, which is really cool. They should have used the Gamepad like that from the start.

NeonZ

No. Free DLC of the three main new characters. We don't know if/how the rest will be covered.

Famitsu had labeled some story cutscenes as Wii U screenshots and they did seem to use Wii U assets. However, it seems like they went ahead of themselves there, and that hasn't been officially announced. The final scene in the initial reveal trailer, showing Tetra getting an Ocarina from a chest, also seemed to be from the Wii U though.

people forget there were already good warriors games on 3ds that worked

Samurai_Warriors_Chronicles.jpg

Chronicles had decent mission design, but very few grunt enemies on the field for a Musou game. Now, Chronicles 3 already managed to fix the whole "lack of enemies for a Musou game" issue. There are less than in the modern console titles, but the fields are still quite busy. It also managed to keep all the extra speed added by Samurai Warriors 4 compared to previous Samurai Warriors games.

TheMoon

Considering that MH3U came out over a year before on the 3DS, I'm not sure that qualifies as built with that in mind. In fact, needing an app to get anything off and on the 3DS version suggests the opposite.

I don't think the dream is dead for cross-save on this game yet (and if anyone has a lot of experience with that, it's K-T), but I feel like that they would have said it's cross-save by now.

You're confused. MH3U did not come out a year before on 3DS. What came out a year before on 3DS was MH3 (got that bit confused with MH4). MH3G aka MH3U came out in October 2012 on 3DS and December 2012 at the Wii U launch. That was the version with a dedicated save transfer tool. A Wii U version of MH3 never existed so: no save transfer.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Wait, I thought n3ds had no extra gpu juice, no?

Ridley327

You're confused. MH3U did not come out a year before on 3DS. What came out a year before on 3DS was MH3. MH3G aka MH3U came out in October 2012 on 3DS and December 2012 at the Wii U launch. That was the version with a dedicated save transfer tool. A Wii U version of MH3 never existed so: no save transfer.

No, that was still MH3U. MH3 has always been a Wii-only game.

L Thammy

You're confused. MH3U did not come out a year before on 3DS. What came out a year before on 3DS was MH3. MH3G aka MH3U came out in October 2012 on 3DS and December 2012 at the Wii U launch. That was the version with a dedicated save transfer tool. A Wii U version of MH3 never existed so: no save transfer.

Monster Hunter 3 is still Wii exclusive.

MegamanNG

Neo Member
-amiibo support is in but no details yet
-more new characters will be announced later
-Tetra, Toon Link, King of Hyrule DLC codes for Wii U version will be inside the box (so you can give them to a friend)
-Stereoscopic 3D is only available on New 3DS thanks to extra juice
-reconfirms all HW Wii U DLC will be included in HWL
-will consider DLC for HW Legends if there's enough demand, nothing planned right now
-everything from Wii U version is in the 3DS version except Challenge Mode due to the smaller screen size (note: this is not Adventure Mode, with the big 8bit maps)

source: http://www.perfectly-nintendo.com/t...ters-to-be-revealed-amiibo-support-confirmed/

spin me off into a musou game if old

Okay, I'm hyped for it. :)

Cleve

There should still be a way to download this content for the Wii U version without buying the 3DS one.

No 3D on regular 3DSes makes sense. I figured it'd be a demanding game.

I have zero interest in this on 3ds, but I'd love to see a cheap wii U dlc of the characters.

Overside

Banned
Right, now I confused myself :p

Still doesn't change the fact that MH3U was built with save-transfer in mind.

No, it wasnt.

The App simply converts a 3ds save file into a wii u save file.

The game was patched for the handshake. If it was designed for it, it wouldnt have had a seperate transfer app, and it would have been much less crappy.

TheMoon

The Wii U version, yes. I seriously doubt that was ever the case for the 3DS version, which is why an app was needed.

Oh fucking what. Why not tell me that I got the years totally mixed up. Just had to triple check. What a complete brain fart. Ignore everything.

So if you have the older 3DS there's no 3D? That's odd.

Why is it odd. It's completely reasonable. 3D requires rendering everything twice. That's a lot of extra work.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Wouldn't this be extra CPU for the draw calls?
I guess. Though one'd think draw calls should not be much of an issue on a thin-HAL console. Also, from some PICA papers that used to circulate, didn't that GPU support instancing?

Oh fucking what. Why not tell me that I got the years totally mixed up. Just had to triple check. What a complete brain fart. Ignore everything.

Why is it odd. It's completely reasonable. 3D requires rendering everything twice. That's a lot of extra work.

It's odd because I haven't heard of a game doing that so far?

Top Bottom