• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hyrule Warriors Legends: stereoscopic 3D N3DS-only, amiibo, more new characters, etcc

Overside

Banned
I guess. Though one'd think draw calls should not be much of an issue on a thin-HAL console. Also, from some PICA papers that used to circulate, didn't that GPU support instancing?

Yes it does, and instancing is clearly being used.

But you still have to double that base draw call amount for the second eye image, on top of adding even more calls from the increased fov that comes with 3d.

Overside.

i tought about Draw Calls, yet never heard any devs making any remarks about them in the past when talking about stereo 3D. But yes, they do seem to increase significantly in 3D.

However, GPU requirements increase significantly also. im not sure if with your example about 90% of a frame setup been done and reused for the other eye frame is implying other wise. Can you clarify? My assertion comes from experience, in PC games that allowed 3D at equal resolutions and graphic fidelity the frames more or less got halved when enabling stereo.

Another thing is that from the leaked specs by the homebrew community, i think theres was an extra amount of vram in the new 3DS besides double the standard RAM.

Like?

I've only had a 3DS a few months and don't know much about its library.
Dragon Quest Monsters 2 3DS lacks 3D outside of the encyclopedia. It uses the 3DS's power to its fullest extent though and also does some tech things, like changing textures on the fly, to lock in 30 FPS. So it both runs well and looks good. Can't say the same about Pokemon or Yo-Kai Watch 2, both of which have FPS issues even in 2D.

Piers

I guess you could always get these abominations.

Dew7dw8o-en3o03Tic4TBHjCKYHN2bF-zglX6Pw8Cn-DLZr760y3khs3g8HyNB0e7CXPhkCsBs6MsoPZlzPaSx2Q0XfAF6060wl_2-SmmfFWgIplZZl8OjTT=w225-h225-nc

Oh deary god :(
Just remembered that Wind Waker will get its own story of sorts right? But nature the WW roster should get their own stages -- great.

Something that baffled me was how the DLC characters from Twilight Midna onwards didn't get their own rewards in Adventure Mode. It rendered them virtually pointless outside of maybe Challenge Mode.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Surely the new content will be DLC on Wii U. Hopefully it works like the Mewtwo DLC for Smash 4, a bonus if you have both versions but still available to buy separately.

NeonZ

Oh deary god :(
Just remembered that Wind Waker will get its own story of sorts right? But nature the WW roster should get their own stages -- great.

The new stage was already shown on Famitsu. There was the Forbidden Fortress, Windfall and Dragon Roost. It wasn't completely clear if it was all part of a single stage, but that seems possible, rather than multiple areas.

TheMoon

The new stage was already shown on Famitsu. There was the Forbidden Fortress, Windfall and Dragon Roost. It wasn't completely clear if it was all part of a single stage, but that seems possible, rather than multiple areas.

It's in the trailer. It's all one single stage with these locations.

Piers

Ah, you're right.
Rather, it's good that they have some role in the stages rather than being characters that get no progressive rewards.

Edit:
For instance, not being given all their weapon tiers right off the bat.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
@Overside, I guess drawcalls is a fair enough explanation.

Overside.

i tought about Draw Calls, yet never heard any devs making any remarks about them in the past when talking about stereo 3D. But yes, they do seem to increase significantly in 3D.

However, GPU requirements increase significantly also. im not sure if with your example about 90% of a frame setup been done and reused for the other eye frame is implying other wise. Can you clarify? My assertion comes from experience, in PC games that allowed 3D at equal resolutions and graphic fidelity the frames more or less got halved when enabling stereo.

Another thing is that from the leaked specs by the homebrew community, i think theres was an extra amount of vram in the new 3DS besides double the standard RAM.
The bolded part is because even at equal resolution stereoscopy doubles your transform- and fill-rate requirements (for the main rendertarget, at least).

I don't have a list in my head but they exist. Some recent ones are Ultimate NES Remix and Binding of Isaac.

I mean, Pokemon is a pretty big example of missing 3D in battles.

Dragon Quest Monsters 2 3DS lacks 3D outside of the encyclopedia. It uses the 3DS's power to its fullest extent though and also does some tech things, like changing textures on the fly, to lock in 30 FPS. So it both runs well and looks good. Can't say the same about Pokemon or Yo-Kai Watch 2, both of which have FPS issues even in 2D.

Thanks for the info, I had no idea!

That's disappointing about Pokemon I just ordered it the other day.

Oh actually, I have the new 3DS so would that fix some of those issues on all (or some of) those games?

Here's hoping this new characters are offered as DLC for the WiiU version. I don't want to have to buy the 3DS copy for a console I don't even own to have them.

Also: bring on female Link!!!

Oh actually, I have the new 3DS so would that fix some of those issues on all (or some of) those games?
Sadly, no. But the next Pokemon could have new 3DS support.

As for Pokemon, it does have 3D in certain overworld areas. It also has 3D in single battles but the FPS is often so fucking awful that most people just turn it off. As for FPS in 2D, don't worry too much. In the single player you'll be doing mostly single battles and the FPS only dips sometimes in those when in 2D. You likely won't notice it much. Double battles can be iffy depending on the Pokemon used, but it's not until Triple Battles that you start entering "Oh my god is my game going to crash?" territory all the time. And of course the overworld is generally a stable 30 FPS outside of some very specific scenarios.

TheMoon

Thanks for the info, I had no idea!

That's disappointing about Pokemon I just ordered it the other day.

New 3DS doesn't magically make these games have 3D. They are simply games without stereoscopic 3D support period.

MrPanic

Interesting info. Good thing I bought a n3ds I guess. Very glad to hear there are even more new characters.

However, it's cross-saves that can make or break this purchase for me. This game is just too much of a time sink to throw my progress away. Hopefully they'll talk about it soon.

Kinsei

Banned
Something that baffled me was how the DLC characters from Twilight Midna onwards didn't get their own rewards in Adventure Mode. It rendered them virtually pointless outside of maybe Challenge Mode.

That did suck. Hopefully any new DLC (if they make some) or DLC for a hypothetical HW 2 will have the characters and weapons bundled with the adventure maps in Japan like they are in NA and EU.

Sadly, no. But the next Pokemon could have new 3DS support.

As for Pokemon, it does have 3D in certain overworld areas. It also has 3D in single battles but the FPS is often so fucking awful that most people just turn it off. As for FPS in 2D, don't worry too much. In the single player you'll be doing mostly single battles and the FPS only dips sometimes in those when in 2D. You likely won't notice it much. Double battles can be iffy depending on the Pokemon used, but it's not until Triple Battles that you start entering "Oh my god is my game going to crash?" territory all the time. And of course the overworld is generally a stable 30 FPS outside of some very specific scenarios.

Ah okay, I think I'll keep it on 2D then. Thanks for the info! I just got a shipping notice so i guess I'll find out soon.

New 3DS doesn't magically make these games have 3D. They are simply games without stereoscopic 3D support period.

I never asked if it added 3D. Your attitude in this thread is fucking atrocious. Have a nap or something.

Overside

Banned
Overside.

Oh man, you picked a rough comparison for someone whos knowledge base grows ever more antiquated with each passing moment.

The 3ds gpu is fixed function with maestro extentions, very fast, very efficient... very constant, so, its not doing fully programmable shader pipelines, not that im aware of. Unless maybe you are insane like vd dev, who knows what the hell they get up to, all drunk on assembler power. The shadow knows. I dont.

Make no mistake, 3ds still halves its frames for 3d, when you are seeing a 60fps game in 3d, thats 120 frames a second, 60 for each eye. The second eye image will always be a super predictable, super constant offset of the first. Its not that it doesnt have an impact, but that significant is a relative term for this comparison, in your system, the cpu may have no trouble doing everything it needs to do, it may be the gpu thats not prepared for the extra load. The 3ds gpu, and the system around it seems pretty dang solid for what it is meant to do, it was designed pretty well and very specifically around quickly rendering stereoscopic imagery... super low res steroscopic images but still... The cpu was ... not so much. It was definitely a bottleneck that held the rest of the system back.

When you think about it, with the doubling of cpu cores, you are actually tripling your available cores.

OG 3ds had one core for the system, and one for the game (its just easier to ignore the muddy topic of exactly how much of the core became available when it was unlocked)

New 3ds has one core for system, and 3 now for the game. Pretty huge.

New 3ds definitely got an increase in vram as well, it should already be up to date on 3dbrew.

TheMoon

I never asked if it added 3D. Your attitude in this thread is fucking atrocious. Have a nap or something.

I think you need to reevaluate how you read posts and relax a bit. Your post did make it sound like you thought those games had stereoscopic 3D when played on a New 3DS and I answered accordingly. That is all.

Gambit

The Amiibo support intrigues me the most.

I've secretly been hoping the Amiibos that would fit with the style/premise would make the transition but never thought there was a real possiblity. It is probably still unlikely, but Pit, Palutena and the Fire Emblem guys would be fantastic additions.

In fact, Pit and Palutena would deserve their own stages/DLC.

TheMoon

The Amiibo support intrigues me the most.

I've secretly been hoping the Amiibos that would fit with the style/premise would make the transition but never thought there was a real possiblity. It is probably still unlikely, but Pit, Palutena and the Fire Emblem guys would be fantastic additions.

In fact, Pit and Palutena would deserve their own stages/DLC.

You should probably keep your expectations in check. They're not gonna design playable characters just for amiibo unlocks.

Chopper

Super hyped for this. Never did pick up the Wii U version, and a portable copy is just perfect. Am I to assume that this is a frickin time-sink, and a downloaded copy is the way to go?

Gambit

You should probably keep your expectations in check. They're not gonna design playable characters just for amiibo unlocks.

of course. Expectation = 0, but dreams are there.

Maybe if it was produced as regular DLC. I just want Pit to make fun of the story really.

MrT-Tar

I never got round to getting Hyrule Warriors, my WiiU time late last year was spent with Bayonetta 1/2 and Smash.

Would I be missing much by getting the 3DS version over the WiiU original; basically, is the 'challenge' mode worth perhaps myself getting the WiiU version instead?

Overside, i think it makes sense then. The safest asumption was that the CPU was holding the system back. Which is weird since there were rumors about the machine using an even more potent Nvidia solution. And weirder because the easy part for NIntendo would have been to fetch for a better CPU since ARM has an ample variety available. To me hunting quickly for a GPU was harder.

The non use of programmable pixel shader pipelines was discussed in one of the Iwata aks and power consumption was the main factor given for the decision. In hindsight the best decision probably because developers aren't even bothering to push what they have in the cuarrent system XD

NOTE: not as much as Capcom did at least.

New 3ds definitely got an increase in vram as well, it should already be up to date on 3dbrew.
i was looking at 3DBrew the other day, specifically the Old/New 3DS hardware page. Well, in the "official" page there's no mention of the leaked specs from some months ago. The ones that got in specifics regarding the memory subsystem (double ram and extra 4 Vram). Does anyone know what's up with that?

Although in the "official" hardware section it does mention the new ARM procesor, core count and that it can actually function up to 800 MHZ clock up from the 268 MHZ of the original. However, that's reserved for operations outside games. Does that mean a dedicated New 3DS game can have the CPU runing up to 800 mhz?

Razmos

I never got round to getting Hyrule Warriors, my WiiU time late last year was spent with Bayonetta 1/2 and Smash.

Would I be missing much by getting the 3DS version over the WiiU original; basically, is the 'challenge' mode worth perhaps myself getting the WiiU version instead?
I don't think so. Challenge mode had like, 4 unlockable costumes which were all palette swaps, the challenges weren't that unique and the boss modes got boring pretty quickly.

TheMoon

Why couldn't HW get its own Amiibo?
I'd buy every single character.

Because it's simply too late for that.

The inevitable Hyrule Warriors 2 on NX though .......

Challenge Mode is negligible.

i was looking at 3DBrew the other day, specifically the Old/New 3DS hardware page. Well, in the "official" page there's no mention of the leaked specs from some months ago. The ones that got in specifics regarding the memory subsystem (double ram and extra 4 Vram). Does anyone know what's up with that??

I think it was Bertil Hörberg who stumbled across those leaked specs at some point and mentioned they were BS. I think it was on Twitter but I'm not sure. Someone (a dev) did say something to that effect somewhere though.

Madao

i guess i'll go to the eventual HW 3DS thread to beg for DLC codes since i don't plan to douple dip for this.

Mistle

For some reason I never picked this up on Wii U. This release is tempting me, but it's moreso just tempting me to finally get the Wii U version lol.

I think it was Bertil Hörberg who stumbled across those leaked specs at some point and mentioned they were BS. I think it was on Twitter but I'm not sure. Someone (a dev) did say something to that effect somewhere though.
The ones i remember where from a firmware update, 3DBrew uploaded those up. It was along the lines of 256MB up from 128 MB and extra 4 MB of Vram besides the 6 MB already on the SOC. Nowadays, those specs are in a dirty corner of the site and the hardware specs portion just the 4X Core CPU remains. A bit confusing.

It's kind of strange that the 4 core CPU is accepted, yet the memory ones are abcent now. It's not an strange to think there has been some important increase in memory given that the New 3DS manage to handle far more complex web applications than the original model.

It would be great if someone with an account on 3DBrew could ask for a clarification.

On topic:

Why exactly are people asking for cross save feature? Is the content 1:1 across both versions (plus the added 3DS content)?

Because is the only way it would make sense to me to add such a feature.

Ridley327

On topic:

Why exactly are people asking for cross save feature? Is the content 1:1 across both versions (plus the added 3DS content)?

Because is the only way it would make sense to me to add such a feature.

It's kind of a massive game. People have already spent hundreds of hours on it and still not come close to 100%. If the only thing that's different about the port on a fundamental level is not having Challenge Mode, I don't think there's anything technically demanding about doing cross-save.

NeonZ

The original game had the Spinner, a completely original Link moveset/weapon only available as an Amiibo unlock. As far as gameplay design goes, each weapon is pretty much a separate character. A new playable character would also need a new model and voice recordings, in addition to the moveset, but a moveset is the biggest part of making a new character already.

I don't think we'll get crossover stuff here though, since it's not even a Nintendo game in the first place, so getting other Nintendo characters probably wouldn't be so easy.

It's kind of a massive game. People have already spent hundreds of hours on it and still not come close to 100%. If the only thing that's different about the port on a fundamental level is not having Challenge Mode, I don't think there's anything technically demanding about doing cross-save.
This is contemplated in my first post, im aware of that. However, the question still remains is the content 1:1 between versions save the 3DS Wind Waker additions?

Until there's official confirmation of that, no point in shedding some tears i would think.

TheMoon

This is contemplated in my first post, im aware of that. However, the question still remains is the content 1:1 between versions save the 3DS Wind Waker additions?

Until there's official confirmation of that, no point in shedding some tears i would think.

Them talking about balancing makes me wonder about this. Maybe they're not just balancing the new characters but also some of the old game stuff. Which would mean cross save could be problematic or even partially undesirable?! Impossible to say at this point. I hope people think to ask about that during the first round of press for the Western release.

Them talking about balancing makes me wonder about this. Maybe they're not just balancing the new characters but also some of the old game stuff. Which would mean cross save could be problematic or even partially undesirable?! Impossible to say at this point. I hope people think to ask about that during the first round of press for the Western release.
For what i can tell, the youtube guys with considerable viewership are quite approachable. Maybe the guys here with the query can throw them the question.

This is early 2016 right? No doubt before the years end, Nintendo will conduct a preview roundup for the title... i think XD

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
When you think about it, with the doubling of cpu cores, you are actually tripling your available cores.

OG 3ds had one core for the system, and one for the game (its just easier to ignore the muddy topic of exactly how much of the core became available when it was unlocked)

New 3ds has one core for system, and 3 now for the game. Pretty huge.
Wasn't one of the new cores dedicated to face-tracking for better stereoscopy?

Wasn't one of the new cores dedicated to face-tracking for better stereoscopy?
As far as i can tell i heard the same, but it was just comments in the air and nothing officiall.

It is interesting to note, that i havent seen a part to part dissection of the New 3DS like we are used to in other devices. Nor any insights in how exactly the new 3D+ works or what differences are there with the paralax barrier in comparison to the original.

At least it was the case up to some months ago, i havent been checking lately.

Top Bottom