• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I’d Like to Apologize to NeoGAF, Give a Special Thank You and LTTPs too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Buni

I'm really concerned that people are thinking I'm getting involved with fictional characters, if my post came across as such, disregard it then. I'm not getting involved with any fictional character in anyway aside from enjoying their stories and personalities. I don't believe it'll ever transition into anything deeper than that.
I think the moment you start calling a character your waifu or husbando, you are giving others the right to assume you are "involved" with or have feelings for said characters.

Arcadius

Banned
This thread was a fascinating read for me as an Anthropologist.

I'm glad you enjoyed it, any opinions on it, or is it something I wouldn't want to hear/know.

I think the moment you start calling a character your waifu or husbando, you are giving others the right to assume you are "involved" with or have feelings for said characters.

Understood and understandable.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
I do think there are traits that are good to recognize as abnormal, as it can be easy to just assume everyone feels the way you do when there's something actually not working correctly. I agree though, if OP is happy, nothing needing to fix.

Sure, I also didn't mean to imply therapy is somehow useless as a whole. I did 4 semesters of psychology and still have many friends that became therapists afterwards. I wouldn't want to discredit their work, heh. I was just pointing out to OP that being "different", even in such a weird way, does not imply a need for therapy if he's overall content with his life and there's no tangible negative effect on him or others. Sure, he lost sleep over it, but that's nothing compared to the effects other disorders have on people's lives.

Hope whatever you're sought therapy for gets sorted out by the way!

cajunator

Banned
This is serous stuff, if it matters, I've always been a mix between emotional (not highly) and not as emotional. I don't find any harm so far in being emotional and no one has yet to bring it up to me (family would be the first to tell me, no joke).

Right, I can see how the fact I enjoyed the sim aspects of the game can mean that I don't have a social life or have a deficiency, I'll let you know here and now that I live a slightly social life with friends and family and they all help me experience life more vividly.

I feel like that's pretty great. I do something similar, but not really with anime. Different ways for people to relax.

I know I've mentioned it before, but please don't mix HolyBaikal into the other anime stuff I wrote, that's not at all what Holy would like, I believe.

All that really matters is that 1. you enjoy the fantasy stuff and 2. You dont lose touch with reality in doing so. As long as you maintain a grasp of what is real or not, indulge in fantasy all you want I say. Just never forget that the fantasy world is an illusion.
And by all means hit me up in PMs anytime if you need to talk :)

HeelPower

This is serous stuff, if it matters, I've always been a mix between emotional (not highly) and not as emotional. I don't find any harm so far in being emotional and no one has yet to bring it up to me (family would be the first to tell me, no joke).

Its not harmful per se.

There is a lot of good in it.Its a very complex topic ,but please don't think that I meant to address you in a bad way or diagnose you with anything.

AdaWong

I just read walls and walls of text and I'm still as confused as ever..

So, let me get this straight:

You feel guilty about insulting a certian subculture, so you make this thread to apologize.
That banned member that you are even referring to in your title (a bit of an obsession here) fits into this somehow. How exactly?
Oh, and the title of this thread. What?

Arcadius

Banned
All that really matters is that 1. you enjoy the fantasy stuff and 2. You dont lose touch with reality in doing so. As long as you maintain a grasp of what is real or not, indulge in fantasy all you want I say. Just never forget that the fantasy world is an illusion.
And by all means hit me up in PMs anytime if you need to talk :)

I know, I think people are going off the beaten path assuming things about me because of my expressive thread, understandable really. I will always keep in touch if I need to talk, thanks a lot.

Xianghua

Banned
Do you... think your car is your wife too?

Do you.. do wife things with your wives?

Do you.. like your wives in a way most people like their wives?

I think we could be more mature than this. No I don't and can't do wife things with my wives. Which is sad, but it is okay and I accept that.

image.php

Is this avi supposed to be ironic or? Just wondering because every time I see it I get a bit uncomfortable.

Well if you are in firefox I think you can choose which picture to block, or just block me altogether if you want.

To be honest, I see nothing wrong with liking or even having a crush on an animated character. I just thought it was weird that you would would equate that to honoring and being respectful to women in general, since those animated representations in the media are/can be very problematic to actual women. I think its also a mistake to follow the idea that actual human women can't compare to animated women when you realize why that is.

And I don't see anything wrong with that. What do you think we are not respecting them? So "normal" people who don't care about them are respecting them?

Floridian

You feel guilty about insulting a certian subculture, so you make this thread to apologize.
That banned member that you are even referring to in your title (a bit of an obsession here) fits into this somehow. How exactly?

It's a GAF thread, where funny & strange things occur.

Arcadius

Banned

Thread title is very literal. HolyBaikal, the member of which I obsessed about, was the catalyst to my wanting to understand certain things. The links made in a certain game brought up issue in another game, I play other game and all is well.

Its not harmful per se.

There is a lot of good in it.Its a very complex topic ,but please don't think that I meant to address you in a bad way or diagnose you with anything.

Well thanks for taking the time to indulge me and others about this. I just assumed there was bad light being spoken about me and wanted to correct it if I could.

Two Words

Who are you to say what's healthy and what's not healthy for other people? "Nice" people told me to go out and meet real life people before, and I did. Which turned into a disaster most of the time. The times that wasn't a disaster were all pretty "meh" experiences and waste of times.

It's not an unhealthy obsession if they make you happy.

I bet the anime character would appreciate us more than the other people who don't care about them.
Making you happy doesn't make it not unhealthy or not an obsession.

AdaWong

It's a GAF thread, where funny & strange things occur.

funny and strange, huh? Not sure about the former, but I completely agree on the latter!

Thread title is very literal. HolyBaikal, the member of which I obsessed about, was the catalyst to my wanting to understand certain things. The links made in a certain game brought up issue in another game, I play other game and all is well.

So.. Why do you like HolyBaikai so much?

Arcadius

Banned
Uh, wha- huh?

What?

I just like Persona 3 man.

That's good, I like it too. Other stuff isn't necessary if you don't want to read it, though you can read my Persona 3 LTTP if you'd like.

So.. Why do you like HolyBaikai so much?

Great question, complicated answer, if you haven't, just read the HolyBaikal part, I think that best sums up as to why I like Holy as much as I do. Thinking about it, it really is complicated.

cajunator

Banned
I know, I think people are going off the beaten path assuming things about me because of my expressive thread, understandable really. I will always keep in touch if I need to talk, thanks a lot.

Its all good dude.
Like I said, personally I spend so much time at work, I have a very real grasp on reality. The world is very very real to me, but it doesnt mean I cannot enjoy anime and fantasy.
Now as for how much I spend on my anime hobbies, lets not talk about that lol.

Relativ9

don't hope for it.

Your being mentally stable and difficult to manipulate emotionally is most definitely a huge advantage.

I meant that I hope to one day experience the same level of emotional passion, not that it be as easily promted. I could imagine falling in love (which apparently I'll know when it hhappens) or witnessing the birth of my child being potential candidates. Understand that I'm more then normally "un-emotional".

Go_Ly_Dow

Even after reading the OP, the TLDR And many replies I have absolutely no idea what this thread is all about.

I lay here in my bed on Easter Sunday morning confused and scared.

Thanks for ruining my Easter.

HeelPower

Well thanks for taking the time to indulge me and others about this. I just assumed there was bad light being spoken about me and wanted to correct it if I could.

Absolutely not.

I really appreciate the candidness with which you wrote this thread.

May you find a way to express your passionate energies to the world in the best way possible.

Regardless of whether others can share or understand that.

Arcadius

Banned
Even after reading the OP, the TLDR And many replies I have absolutely no idea what this thread is all about.

=( I hope I didn't actually ruin Easter. Eat some chocolate and eggs, enjoy the day. I'm just getting things off my heart.

Absolutely not.

I really appreciate the candidness with which you wrote this thread.

May you find a way to express your passionate energies to the world in the best way possible.

Regardless of whether others can share or understand that.

You put a huge smile on my face, thank you so much. I've been told before I can be candid, I guess it's true.

cajunator

Banned

Basically, the OP was struggling with some things in his life and he encountered HolyBaikals posts and her ideals and it struck a chord and really made him think about his life and it changed him.

Doukou

What you need to do is create your own forum, superior to Neogaf. Where everyone like HolyBakai can speak without the fear of an Evil Lord or his Bishop delivering a harsh ban on the Holy, call it paleogaf, an old land free of the judgments that society has placed.
Don't believe, know.

aly

And I don't see anything wrong with that. What do you think we are not respecting them? So "normal" people who don't care about them are respecting them?

Nah, normal people or whatever don't factor into this. Let's take some of the problems associated with moe. I just don't think respecting moe characters for example would translate to well to respecting or honoring/whatever actual women due to some of the problems associating with the idea women representing childlike innocence and being sweet and adorable. Like there's a difference between liking that character archetype and that translating over to respecting actual women.

Not sure if I'm explaining myself clearly at all though.

Dunan

OP, I'm still reading through that massive first post, but if you want Persona OSTs/remix CDs, just shoot me a PM. I live in Tokyo,
just a few blocks from Atlus' old headquarters where Persona 3 and 4 were made,
and can easily snag them for you.

Two Words

Healthy = improve your real life.

Unhealthy = opposite of healthy

Some of us can draw the line clearly. It's wrong to assume that we can't.
Obsessive behavior is generally unhealthy. I'll throw myself with that. I obsessively surf the Internet. It is unhealthy. I can tell it is a compulsion. It makes me happy, but it doesn't make me healthy.

Floridian

Healthy = improve your real life.

Unhealthy = opposite of healthy

Some of us can draw the line clearly. It's wrong to assume that we can't.

Person has an obsession with junk food, which is unhealthy, but it makes him/her happy. Does that make the obsession with junk food not unhealthy just because it makes the person happy?

Arcadius

Banned
OP, I'm still reading through that massive first post, but if you want Persona OSTs/remix CDs, just shoot me a PM. I live in Tokyo,
just a few blocks from Atlus' old headquarters where Persona 3 and 4 were made,
and can easily snag them for you.

PM sent away!!!

This thread kept popping up on my Twitter feed today and I've finally taken a look and...

what is going on.

I'm so confused right now.

What twitter feed handle/however twitter calls it?

cajunator

Banned
Nah, normal people or whatever don't factor into this. Let's take some of the problems associated with moe. I just don't think respecting moe characters for example would translate to well to respecting or honoring/whatever actual women due to some of the problems associating with the idea women representing childlike innocence and being sweet and adorable. Like there's a difference between liking that character archetype and that translating over to respecting actual women.

Pretty sure the vast majority of anime fans actually realize that isnt the case.
I definitely do.

Go_Ly_Dow

Basically, the OP was struggling with some things in his life and he encountered HolyBaikals posts and her ideals and it struck a chord and really made him think about his life and it changed him.

Oh right, that's good then if he was able to draw inspiration from someone to better himself. Kudos to both.

AdaWong

Oh wait HolyBaibai was a female? Assuming the OP is a heterosexual male after reading this thread, this seems like a huge crush!

Now it actually makes sense. OP's obsession makes sense too, now. Crushes can be frustrating and rage inducing like gauwilbZubbubYugyukgskyvusk. I should know because I've been going back and forth with my real-life crush for the last 10 years or so. He admittedly has cool hair, but his constant demands and requests for me to wait for him have gotten tiring.

Xianghua

Banned

And some of us can respect both(animated and real) people though. Actually a lot of dating sims did help me to interact with real life people in a better way. Like how we need to listen first, then select the best choice to answer.

Obsessive behavior is generally unhealthy. I'll throw myself with that. I obsessively surf the Internet. It is unhealthy. I can tell it is a compulsion. It makes me happy, but it doesn't make me healthy.

Person has an obsession with junk food, which is unhealthy, but it makes him/her happy. Does that make the obsession with junk food not unhealthy just because it makes the person happy?

Point taken. Obsessive behavior are never healthy, you are both right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom