• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I’d Like to Apologize to NeoGAF, Give a Special Thank You and LTTPs too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
No I am not amazing at all. In fact, I am a nobody and a below average person. The ones who are actually amazing are our wives. They don't judge, hurt, or be mean to me ever. Even someone like me. They are wonderful.

Don't be so hard on yourself. All your life needs is a sense of someplace to go. I don't believe that one should devote his life to morbid waifu attention. I believe that you should become a person like other people.

Arcadius

Banned
I mean...why? You just became attached to these characters? What caused you to view them in a "waifu" light?

This may have been a bit hyperbolic, sorry. I guess what I was trying to say is that I understand why people like waifus and I myself could finally understand this. I don't have those bed sheets or body pillows with girls on them, I haven't "fallen in-love" with a character from a game or anything, but I can see why others would.

For the comment "I can see why". Well, anime girls can look attractive and pretty, it's not unheard of for people to be attracted to a smooth skinned anime girl.

When I say " I secretly loved them". I don't mean love as in, I love my significant other, more like a playful I like it, kind of thing.

Regardless, it still probably comes across as weird, but know that I'm not the only one.

OuterLimits

Well, it wasn't bad. Just not that good to me. That's why I used the term 'lackluster' and not some of the more derogatory ones I see people describe The Answer with. Though I should mention I played it right after the main game so there may have been some burn out clouding my judgement.

Actually I agree. While I enjoyed it, it does require some grinding. While I was being somewhat facetious when saying it is fantastic, I did like it. The story was kind of meh, but the music and more challenging battles were quite good.

Hey in the spirit of bring sincere and 180s you've taken in life; I used to make fun of dudes that make female characters in games. Now every character I make is female.

Arcadius

Banned
Is it wrong of me to say that I'm going to marry Lightning?

I think you're going to have competition in this area. Isn't there a GAF member who owns all things Lightning?

Hey in the spirit of bring sincere and 180s you've taken in life; I used to make fun of dudes that make female characters in games. Now every character I make is female.

Really, that's actually pretty interesting. It depends on the class I make myself, but pretty interesting none-the-less. Do you think there's a reason as to why?

XBe6N.png

I'm not intending to call you a shitlord though, it just comes with the image

Xianghua

Banned
What the fuck am i reading... waifu obsessed people respect women the most?

Do you really think that glorifying animated girls is showing respect and giving real women the recognition they deserve?

Of course! Like how I wish I am Snake, Link, or some big muscle dude in FPS games. I bet lots of women wish they are as great and nice as some animated women too. Depends on who you are talking about though, some can be demeaning yes, while most are not.

But the thing is though, I'm not obsessed with the character. It was elements of the character, such as their personality, that appealed to me, not literally the character itself. It was just chance that it was that character in particular who did that, there were plenty of similar characters in other shows that would've likely made me realize my identification with the opposite gender was part of who I was. That's what bothers me about "waifu" folks, they literally seem to love the actual character, and that character specifically, to the point of obsession. I just don't think it's healthy, and you can say "it isn't hurting anyone", but yes, I do think it's hurting someone, I think it hurts the people who engage in this "waifu culture". I think they're closing themselves off from meeting people who truly care about them, and will actually help them develop as human beings. I don't think people who have a "waifu" actually were changed by them or saved, I just think they chose that character to obsess over because they already fit in their world view and doesn't challenge them to change or reevaluate their lifestyle.

We are not closing off ourselves. It's just too bad that our real world human can not competed to animated/video game characters. Same as real world can not compete to animated/video game world. So we use our spare time to escape for talking and interacting with our wives, just like how you escape the real world and interact with video games. We are all the same.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Of course! Like how I wish I am Snake, Link, or some big muscle dude in FPS games. I bet lots of women wish they are as great and nice as some animated women too. Depends on who you are talking about though, some can be demeaning yes, while most are not.

We are not closing off ourselves. It's just too bad that our real world human can not competed to animated/video game characters. Same as real world can not compete to animated/video game world. So we use our spare time to escape for talking and interacting with our wives, just like how you escape the real world and interact with video games. We are all the same.

No, really, are you being serious? I'm actually concerned now.

Zolo

You don't feel like if these characters could talk back that they wouldn't be creeped out to be called wives?

Banned
post-35385-cant-deal-with-it-gif-llama-Im-uq0G.gif

I'm very late to the party. I'm glad there's a new persona fan out there. I'm uh....going back to bed.

When you say wife, you mean an animated character, right? Like, you consider yourself married to one?

Tesseract

Banned

Relativ9

It always amazes me how some people can be so emotional and passionate about their choices in entertainment and literature. Throughout my 27 years of life I haven't felt as strongly about anything as the OP does about this Holy guy and anime(?) games, and that includes deaths in the family and other tragedies and joys. You seem a bit unhinged and manic OP, but you've got my applause for honesty and bravery.

cajunator

Banned
You don't feel like if these characters could talk back that they wouldn't be creeped out to be called wives?

a lot of times "waifu" is a joke thing and sometimes it is even used specifically to creep people out who arent familiar. Other times, it is quite real to some.
Im not adept at telling which is which but it doesnt really matter.

butzopower

proud of his butz
I'm 22, I can break down a lot of myself if you'd like, though the way I type is typically entirely different from the way I speak and act around others. At PCSX2, I typically hold an arrogant tone with others, since I've been around for a while, but I try my best to hold a more balanced and "native" approach to things.

Specifically this:

The reason I bring this all up is because I made a post a while ago in a certain thread where I essentially bashed a large group of people and I have felt guilty ever since. It went against my ethos, it went against what I tried to build myself up as and it’s one of the major reasons why I felt the need to do this. To better describe the guilt, it became so bad that I started having issues going to bed and at times throughout the day, all I could think about was my ignorant and distorted view of people with the post I made. In the end I decided that I should attempt to understand/play a specific game that I became guilt-ridden by.

Sounds pretty intense, and maybe not the usual way people deal with a mistake. Just something to think about, especially because your at the age where mental illnesses begin to show up in adults.

Arcadius

Banned
It always amazes me how some people can be so emotional and passionate about their choices in entertainment and literature. Throughout my 27 years of life I haven't felt as strongly about anything as the OP does about this Holy guy and anime(?) games, and that includes deaths in the family and other tragedies and joys. You seem a bit unhinged and manic OP, but you've got my applause for honesty and bravery.

I'm a bit saddened that you haven't experience such heavy emotions throughout your 27 years of life, but I hope one day you may be able to relate to how I feel. Thanks for the applause, all the nice comments here are making this thread a true success.

Don't worry though, about the unhinged and manic stuff, there is a lot of pent up emotions flowing throw the river of words I wrote.

Stuart444

a lot of times "waifu" is a joke thing and sometimes it is even used specifically to creep people out who arent familiar. Other times, it is quite real to some.

It's used as a joke a lot on GAF at least but I imagine some people are deadly serious.

Also this has been a great thread, Arcadius, I applaud the op. It was obvious how this thread would go but you posted it anyway so I've gotta admire that.

Your one name I'll remember after this I'm sure. :)

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet

This is what bothers me. You guys seem to love to play up the "waifu" element in pretty much every situation, except when people actually point out how its weird and off putting, and then you guys try and flip it around and play if off as a joke and that you don't really mean it.

I mean, I wish you guys would just own it instead of always dancing around it and playing coy.

aly

Sorry, I don't want to be like an animated woman with unrealistic characteristics/proportions and with some random person assuming that I would want to be their wife due to being created in an appealing way. It's a shame that we real human women cannot reach those impossible standards of animated/videogame women.

mazpratim

It's basically like PC gamers referring to console gamers as "peasants", most people are joking, but some do feel strongly about it

Correct, Arcadius the male. I use Arcadia if I play as a female in games though. Thanks for the kind comments though, you're been incredibly nice to me since the inception of the thread, I really appreciate it. (Probably tired of me thanking and appreciating)

It's because i can sort of relate to "opening up" to others with your feelings/ emotions. It's not something to be taken lightly.

Xianghua

Banned
Don't be so hard on yourself. All your life needs is a sense of someplace to go. I don't believe that one should devote his life to morbid waifu attention. I believe that you should become a person like other people.

Well for me I don't devote my life in the waifu culture. No worries there.

I don't want to just become a person like other people though.

I doubt my car and cat would be creeped out that I call them my wives too. Some people are just more sensitive and loving than other people. I wish they could talk back though.

When you say wife, you mean an animated character, right? Like, you consider yourself married to one?

Married to just one? No way.

Nerokis

You'll find it hard for people to take you seriously when you say that a person you haven't even spoken to is one of the most special people you've ever met in your life. And that person is HolyBaikal.

It makes perfect sense. He has this infatuation with HolyBaikal, but chose to observe her from a distance until it was too late and she was permabanned. All those unspoken thoughts and imagined conversations in his head took a new turn, and with HolyBaikal being out of reach, he decided to open up to NeoGAF as a whole. Blinded by puppy love, distressed, and experiencing the adrenaline of stepping outside his shell to reveal uncomfortable truths, how could HolyBaikal not seem like one of the most special people in his life? She's at the center of all these strong, unorganized emotions.

I'm taking the OP as a confession of love. And now I have to wonder how many people HolyBaikal was an entry waifu for.

DVCY201

:) I'm still digesting the OP, but if anything it's impressive that you've reversed your stance on an opinion you held. Not many people own up to that

Arcadius

Banned
Specifically this:

Sounds pretty intense, and maybe not the usual way people deal with a mistake. Just something to think about, especially because your at the age where mental illnesses begin to show up in adults.

You're right, it was pretty intense. Maybe it's not the best medium to have gone through, but it's the one that just happened to be there and it worked out pretty well. I don't have much experience with how others handle guilt, but imagine this. Through my entire life, I am sought for my unbiased positions, for the way I can handle situations and how I can talk to others using experience; when I basically say "Nope all crap because so and so", it's like removing who I am and not entirely existing.

I appreciate the concern and the fact you sifted through my post to bring up an example. To better explain that situation, I made the quoted comment some time ago, a week later I felt remorse and guilt, I then had issues sleeping for ~4 days, and it was on my mind for 2 weeks (long I know). I don't think it's weird that I had such thoughts and guilt, though the medium that I used maybe weird.

213372bu

Banned
Enough with the jokes for me
--

Rather than recommend you more games in which they fill your need for a social interaction, (not trying to make a dig, I've just been there in my life early on,) I'm going to strongly suggest you stop playing those games and get some interaction with other persons. The fact that you are able to develop such a strong bond with someone you never talk to, and hold an even more.... intimate... bond with characters in a videogame may mean you need to socialize more.

Go to cons, find a gamer club at your college, something. I used to only play games in middle school because I had very few friends and needed a social outlet. Once I got into highschool and started socializing with others, I felt myriads better and was able to develop friendships that actually mattered and felt better. If you go to college, even more so.

Don't let videogame characters being your only/main form of socialization, it's not healthy. I know the feels.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Honestly...and I know people's reflexive reaction is going to be to call this wrong, but I'm pretty sure its true, I don't think Holy Baikal was particularly into waifu culture, or even particularly liked it.

Oh don't get me wrong, she definitely loves cute stuff, and the associated kindness and fluffiness. But if you actually pay attention to what she said in some topics on here (and, okay, add in some context I have from a couple of conversations we had outside this forum) she's actually fairly concerned with what she recognizes as the infantilizing and even objectifying undercurrents to a lot of the subculture around "moe waifu-ness"

Relativ9

I'm a bit saddened that you haven't experience such heavy emotions throughout your 27 years of life, but I hope one day you may be able to relate to how I feel. Thanks for the applause, all the nice comments here are making this thread a true success.

Don't worry though, about the unhinged and manic stuff, there is a lot of pent up emotions flowing throw the river of words I wrote.

Good to hear :) And yes I hope one day I'll experience that as well. It's always taken more to move me than most, it's both a strength and weakness, as I imagine your sensitivity also is.

This has to be one of the craziest threads I've ever seen on GAF. I feel like I have truly crossed into another plain of existence I was totally unaware of.

You do you OP. Ain't no shame in your game.

But I feel like reading this whole thing is the equivalent of tripping balls for a few days straight. Like my brain can't comprehend the weight of this threads reality.

Arcadius

Banned
Good to hear :) And yes I hope one day I'll experience that as well. It's always taken more to move me than most, it's both a strength and weakness, as I imagine your sensitivity also is.

Hit the nail on the head with the sensitivity, it can be such a burden sometimes. Man, I think I should have left the original story in the post, you'd see how sensitive I could be.

Enough with the jokes for me
--

Rather than recommend you more games in which they fill your need for a social interaction, (not trying to make a dig, I've just been there in my life early on,) I'm going to strongly suggest you stop playing those games and get some interaction with other persons. The fact that you are able to develop such a strong bond with someone you never talk to, and hold an even more.... intimate... bond with characters in a videogame may mean you need to socialize more.

Go to cons, find a gamer club at your college, something. I used to only play games in middle school because I had very few friends and needed a social outlet. Once I got into highschool and started socializing with others, I felt myriads better and was able to develop friendships that actually mattered and felt better. If you go to college, even more so.

Don't let videogame characters being your only/main form of socialization, it's not healthy.

Thank you for the concerns, I will not take them lightly, just know that I don't lock myself up in my room and play these games 24/7. I also don't have intimate feelings for any of the characters I have met, but the situation of games can be intimate. I don't talk to the characters, I don't think about them at night, if you think I'm going into that direction, fear not, for I am not.

Honestly...and I know people's reflexive reaction is going to be to call this wrong, but I'm pretty sure its true, I don't think Holy Baikal was particularly into waifu culture, or even particularly liked it.

Oh don't get me wrong, she definitely loves cute stuff, and the associated kindness and fluffiness. But if you actually pay attention to what she said in some topics on here (and, okay, add in some context I have from a couple of conversations we had outside this forum) she's actually fairly concerned with what she recognizes as the infantilizing and even objectifying undercurrents to a lot of the subculture around "moe waifu-ness"

You are correct, I believe HolyBaikal disliked the way girls were treated and portrayed in many lights of the anime medium. Please do not mix up the affection I have for Holy with the realization of my own waifu understanding, this would be the wrong picture and I wouldn't really like it, and Holy may find offense to it too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom